Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's the story behind your user name?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 8:32pm

Post #76 of 93 (133 views)
Shortcut
Long lurking! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Na Vedui" is because "at last" I got round to joining TORN after lurking on and off for years. (Mostly because I was then snowed under at work, and didn't have time for more than the occasional visit.)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 9:30pm

Post #77 of 93 (120 views)
Shortcut
Mine has a weird story. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I want to be an author of fantasy novels one day. (I write them, but I'm still working on the 'finishing them' part. Crazy) The fantasy world I have created is called 'Werde'. I spin stories about it. Thus, I am Werde Spinner.

However, if you want to believe that my username is German for something like 'fate spider' or 'becoming spider', you're welcome to that as well. Laugh (No, seriously, I use the name on a different site and someone asked. To tell the truth, 'Werde' did come from a mashup of two German words. Shh, don't tell anyone...)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 8:33am

Post #78 of 93 (115 views)
Shortcut
It began long ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

Long ago there was a character in Doctor Strange called the "DwellerInDarkness". Add to this that my given name happens to be Dale. Put them together and you have something with a meaning in Tolkien's world...

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 23 2013, 9:12am

Post #79 of 93 (103 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow, that's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE Doctor Strange, I can't believe I didn't notice. I actually use the name Clea as a handle on some other websites.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Oct 23 2013, 10:01pm

Post #80 of 93 (89 views)
Shortcut
Mine is simple [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Aragorn and would be that Ranger's Lady anytime. Wink And I had just turned 23 when I started posting to TorN.

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 23 2013, 10:11pm

Post #81 of 93 (85 views)
Shortcut
so it's not that there were 22 ladies before you [In reply to] Can't Post

who also were interested in that particular ranger? Tongue

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 5:28am

Post #82 of 93 (73 views)
Shortcut
atahuaa [In reply to] Can't Post

(I think I jsut mismangled that awfully...)

What are the jadestone Maori carvings, the fishhook, that we often see on surfers and kayakers (I have a green one)? I heard it is supposed to be "for safe passage over water".

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 5:34am

Post #83 of 93 (72 views)
Shortcut
na vedui [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dunadan!

(OooOK, losing my brain, I remember that line from somewhere... maybe it was Glorfindel's greeting to Aragorn...)

Go outside and play...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 5:41am

Post #84 of 93 (69 views)
Shortcut
swordwhale [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of the many names for orca, killer whale, the largest of the oceanic dolphins. It's a reference to my own tales... which got their spark from Middle Earth long ago.

Eric Hoyt's book "Orca: the Whale Called Killer" has a list of names for orca in many languages. "Swordwhale" was easier to pronounce, use and remember than Mak-eh-nuk, or Agliuk, or Nissongessakh or some of the other ones. Swordwhale isn't used much here in the US, but would have been used by my German ancestors (and the French, and some other folks).

Now... if I can just translate it into Sindarin.

Ironically, my real name translates, in Elvish, as "late gift". Yep, that's me...always late.

Go outside and play...

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 2:14pm

Post #85 of 93 (86 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a hei matau [In reply to] Can't Post

I have two (neither are greenstone, however) and I looked it up and saved the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hei_matau

Ataahua, ... I presume an ataahua is different from a koru? I can't find an example of ataahua.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 6:39pm

Post #86 of 93 (58 views)
Shortcut
ah yes, that's the thing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Go outside and play...

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 7:16pm

Post #87 of 93 (57 views)
Shortcut
And here I was, [In reply to] Can't Post

thinking you just had good self-esteem. Cool

My nick is the name of a style of Maori carving, which I wear as a bronze pendant.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 10:09pm

Post #88 of 93 (58 views)
Shortcut
Um..../ [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 11:10pm

Post #89 of 93 (55 views)
Shortcut
Your brain is just fine... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it was indeed Glorfindel, and he said "Ai na vedui Dunadan. Mae govannen."

guitarzankansasfan
Lorien

Oct 27 2013, 3:00am

Post #90 of 93 (47 views)
Shortcut
I was trying to be consistent with usernames at other sites [In reply to] Can't Post

guitarzankansasfan is my YouTube username so I decided to use it here too. However don't be fooled, I can't really play guitar while swinging through the trees (My guitar skill is really quite limited even on the ground) but I am in fact a big fan of the rock band Kansas. If it were possible to go back, I would change my username here to something more Tolkien inspired.

...a far green country under a swift sunrise. As the ship approached the edge of the world and the undying lands came into view, Frodo could not help but wonder: "How long? How long? How long to the Point of Know Return?

Cuwen Maegmacil
Rivendell

Oct 27 2013, 8:53pm

Post #91 of 93 (47 views)
Shortcut
Cuwen Maegmacil is Elvish meanig..... [In reply to] Can't Post

Cuwen= Bowmaiden

Maegmacil= Sharpsword

I always wanted to have a lethal name and I LOVE swords and bows, thus I came up with Cuwen Maegmacil!!! :D

"The Ring is Mine!" ~ Frodo Baggins

(This post was edited by Cuwen Maegmacil on Oct 27 2013, 8:54pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2013, 1:12am

Post #92 of 93 (36 views)
Shortcut
It's really my name :) [In reply to] Can't Post

When my now 18 yo g'son was 2, he referred to each of his 4 sets of grandparents by the pets they had. Mine was a dog named Squid. Well, g'son had trouble saying "Squid", so he always called him booboo dog. Hence, he began referring to me as gramma booboo dog. Quite a mouthful. It was quickly shortened to gramma boo dog. :D My grandchildren/kids all still identify me by that name, so I am what I am. It could have been worse. The Paternal grandparents are grandma and grandpa dogbone.

Sweet Squid. Benji-sized with a mixture of wirehair terrier and springer spaniel. He smelled like dirty feet and Fritos... and even worse if he was wet!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 28 2013, 9:52am

Post #93 of 93 (45 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow, that is the sweetest thing [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.