Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are the EE menus like?

starlesswinter
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 2:03am

Post #1 of 18 (1421 views)
Shortcut
What are the EE menus like? Can't Post

Has anyone who's downloaded the digital version comment on the menu designs? I hope they're similar to the LOTR in their old-world feel with maps and calligraphy, and that all the versions are the same.

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 2:11am

Post #2 of 18 (997 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully i'm allowed to post these... [In reply to] Can't Post

but here what the menus are like.

It the main menu is a dynamic one. It moves throughout Bag End going room to room with sections of dialogue relating to the room.
http://i.imgur.com/whdADkz.jpg

The sub menus look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/cxQmLSK.png
http://i.imgur.com/DBpkA6n.jpg

And the scene selection menu like this:
http://i.imgur.com/l7kJc6L.png

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 25 2013, 2:46am

Post #3 of 18 (582 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the look of these menus! They've really taken what they did with LOTR and gave it a little spicing up.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Hedrigall

Oct 25 2013, 4:47am

Post #4 of 18 (561 views)
Shortcut
Obsessive questions (worried about appendices) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks very much for those shots of the appendices contents! However I'm worried because I adore the LOTR appendices (I've watched all 6 discs through half a dozen times each) and I'm wondering what the content is like this time around?

Looking at those screenshots, it looks like "part 7" is all about the filming process, while "part 8" is about individual character and race designs.

For LOTR, it was very different. The first appendix disc for each film (parts 1, 3 and 5) were all about art design, writing, miniatures, props and so on, while the second disc of each (parts 2, 4 and 6) had features on the filming, effects, sound, music and release of each movie. Is all that stuff covered but AUJ's appendices?

Now a really huge favour, and I'd totally understand if you don't want to do this. But in one of those screenshots "Mr Baggins: The 14th Member" is selected, and on the right in red text it shows the running time of that featurette. Would you (or anyone else) be willing to give us a list of every featurette and each running time? Again, no worries if this is too much work. I'm just going crazy because I have to wait until November 20th to get the bluray in Australia.

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 5:09am

Post #5 of 18 (523 views)
Shortcut
haha no worries. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in Australia too, and I couldn't wait that long which is why I got the EE through iTunes.

But in regards to your first question. The features are very much similar in tone to what was on the LOTR EEs. There aren't so much specific featurettes focused on the VFX for the movie as a whole but instead it is covered within the individual documentaries along with all the other aspects (if you know what I mean.) But don't worry, they're great. If you loved the Lord Of The Rings ones, you'll love these.

The specific times are...

Part 7.

Play All: 4:31:27
Opening: 2:43
1. The Journey Back to Middle Earth: 48:21
2. Riddles In The Dark: 17:01
3. An Unexpected Party: 25:30
4. Roast Mutton: 17:13
5. Bastion Of The Greenwood: 10:43
6. A Short Rest 29:14
7. Over Hill: 13:41
8. Under Hill: 19:17
9. Out of the Frying Pan: 16:10
10. Return To Hobbiton: 18:37
11. The Epic Of Scene 88: 8:29
12. The Battle Of Moria: 10:59
13. Edge Of Wilderland: 22:38
14. Home is Behind, The World Ahead: 22:38
15. Credits: 3:05

Part 8

Play All: 4:45:38

The Company Of Thorin: 1:02:42
Mr Baggins The fourteenth member: 16:12
Durin's Folk Creating The Dwarves: 57:26
The People And Denizens Of Middle Earth: 58:19
Realms Of The Third Age: 59:03
The Songs Of The Hobbit: 32:32
Credits: 3:22

Some of the above have individual chapters for example the Company of Thorin feature is split between the groups (i.e Dori, Nori and Ori is one chapter.)

Hedrigall

Oct 25 2013, 5:37am

Post #6 of 18 (470 views)
Shortcut
Re: haha no worries. [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh wow, thank you SO much!! Really glad to hear the appendices are good this time around. Weird how they structured it, but oh well, I'm totally stoked now :D

starlesswinter
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 5:39am

Post #7 of 18 (498 views)
Shortcut
What is this screencap from then? [In reply to] Can't Post

This image was in a post on the main site

http://www-images.theonering.org/...ads/2013/10/EE_1.jpg

Joe20
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 5:52am

Post #8 of 18 (464 views)
Shortcut
That's the title page of the 'Opening' chapter on disc 1. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not a menu. All the chapters have a title similar to that when they are played. Though this one comes at the end of it.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Oct 25 2013, 5:53am)

ryanw8
The Shire

Oct 25 2013, 5:53am

Post #9 of 18 (439 views)
Shortcut
It's the title [In reply to] Can't Post

It's in the actual video as a title, this one I believe at the end of the introduction of part 7.

Silmaril
Lorien

Oct 25 2013, 6:10am

Post #10 of 18 (431 views)
Shortcut
very nice! thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mooseboy018
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 6:20am

Post #11 of 18 (444 views)
Shortcut
the format [In reply to] Can't Post

So instead of having individual featurettes about stuff like adapting the book and creating the music, those things are incorporated into each of these new sections?

I'm sure I'll still love these, but I'm still disappointed that they didn't stick with the format they had with the Lord of the Rings appendices. It doesn't look like there's a specific featurette about Tolkien this time.Unsure

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 8:48am

Post #12 of 18 (357 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that is because they see the extras as "continuing" from the LotR trilogy, where Tolkien and the origins of his story were already given a lot of extras, also commenting on the Hobbit or the Silmarillion.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 9:34am

Post #13 of 18 (338 views)
Shortcut
Very nice [In reply to] Can't Post

Can I ask what music plays over the main menu? Also, do you know if the Songs of Middle-Earth documentary covers Shore's music as well, or is it just the actual songs? Thanks.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 10:17am

Post #14 of 18 (341 views)
Shortcut
Is that third picture a hobbit hole? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks very square.

Loving these menus a lot more than the TE ones. I always prefer a menu that doesn't show clips from the film. I always thinks it ruins it a bit, especially if it's as iconic a scene as the Misty Mountains song.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:35am

Post #15 of 18 (308 views)
Shortcut
Bag-End and Shire themes [In reply to] Can't Post

So thankfully nothing that gives too much away.

I would imagine the menus for Dos will be a room/house in Laketown (Bard's house is supposed to be a great set) and TABA the interior of Erebor.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:37am

Post #16 of 18 (282 views)
Shortcut
I hope DoS is Beorn's house // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 11:49am

Post #17 of 18 (299 views)
Shortcut
They have quite a lot to chose from for DoS [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe even Beorn for DoS and Laketown for TABA, since other locations such as Thranduil's Halls or Erebor might not have that closed and complete sets.

Anyway, a really cool idea. Somewhat similar to LotR and yet unique.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 6:26pm

Post #18 of 18 (179 views)
Shortcut
That looks amazing! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like that we get to "explore" Bag-End. Do you think that for the DOS we'll get to look through Thranduil's home and then for TABA we'll get to see the insides of Erebor...?

Sorry, I'm getting all excited! Laugh

Thanks for sharing with us. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.