Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Do people cheer in cinemas?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 4:01am

Post #26 of 63 (147 views)
Shortcut
and [In reply to] Can't Post

battlestar galactica has ftl.

good eye there, meneldor, with the propulsion systems.

now if i could just get a lift from someone. i need to go to toshi station to pick up some power converters. (said at my whiniest.)

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 4:01am

Post #27 of 63 (150 views)
Shortcut
Quick! [In reply to] Can't Post

...is "GIF" pronounced with a hard 'g' or a soft 'g'?!

There's your nerd cred right there XD

/says the nerd with the Doctor Who avatar posting in a LotR forum XD

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

(This post was edited by bborchar on Oct 25 2013, 4:02am)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 4:12am

Post #28 of 63 (146 views)
Shortcut
It depends [In reply to] Can't Post

I use a hard 'g' because I am used to Tolkien's world and speaking foreign languages - in generally, just not always pronouncing things as English would dictate. But I know the dude who came up with gifs wants it to be pronounced with a soft 'g'.

My response to that was more aptly put - with gifs - by this person here:

http://thedoctor-will-see-you-now.tumblr.com/post/51902004364

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 4:32am

Post #29 of 63 (140 views)
Shortcut
Cheering is for rugby games and concerts I reckon [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't like it in a movie. But then I don't like any noise in a movie, which is why I prefer to go at the most off- peak times, so there is hardly anyone in the theatre.

Actually, that would be an interesting study. How much of it is personal preference, and how much of it is cultural differences? If you people would have a whip-round and organise a grant for me, I could do the study. I'm happy to take paid leave from my job. You're welcome. Laugh

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 5:10am

Post #30 of 63 (142 views)
Shortcut
nerd cred [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

I'm so glad you clarified that. I knew that, I knew that, and I read right through "warp drive" without batting an eyelash.......

PS, only midnight showing crowds here (PA)(a rather conservative part of it) full of fans dress up and cheer.

Go outside and play...

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 5:21am

Post #31 of 63 (141 views)
Shortcut
Besides... [In reply to] Can't Post

when I hear someone say it with a soft "g", all I think of is peanut butter. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some lawsuit that would be possible for the Jif people to pursue regarding use of their registered trademark if everyone pronounced it that way. But it's too late anyway - the populace has spoken and they used a hard "g".

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Kim
Valinor

Oct 25 2013, 5:34am

Post #32 of 63 (136 views)
Shortcut
My brother and I [In reply to] Can't Post

love quoting Luke at his whiniest. My favorite: "What's that flashing?" Comes in handy in real life all the time.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 5:43am

Post #33 of 63 (141 views)
Shortcut
Don't ask for Jif on your sandwhiches in New Zealand. [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt they would be particularly edible.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 6:36am

Post #34 of 63 (130 views)
Shortcut
Cleans your teeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

...without harsh scratching. Laugh

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 6:59am

Post #35 of 63 (128 views)
Shortcut
So its still called Jif in NZ then? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here in UK and across the EU it was changed to Cif after some lawsuitCrazy it'll always be Jif to me though Smile But not good on sandwichesFrown

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 25 2013, 7:04am

Post #36 of 63 (167 views)
Shortcut
Old man? Days? Luxury! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had to listen to an infinite number of monkeys for years on end. And we lived in shoebox in t'middle of t'road!TongueWink

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 12:31pm

Post #37 of 63 (126 views)
Shortcut
D'eaux! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that, when I was young. They say nouns are the first thing to go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 12:53pm

Post #38 of 63 (125 views)
Shortcut
I did the same thing: [In reply to] Can't Post

saw it in CG's post and then just went with it.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 12:57pm

Post #39 of 63 (127 views)
Shortcut
Maybe I can get some of it back with this: [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you ever notice that Han and Leia's dialog when they're hiding in the asteroid field because the hyperdrive is broken ("I happen to like nice men...") is almost word-for-word the same as the dialog from "Gone With the Wind" when Rhett helps Scarlett flee the burning Atlanta? It jumped out at me in 1980, and I've never seen anyone else comment on it.

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 1:15pm

Post #40 of 63 (120 views)
Shortcut
I worked in IT and Tech Support for years... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and we immediately knew a non-computer person by the way they pronounced 'gif' with a soft 'g'. All of the computer people I have ever known pronounced it with a hard 'g' because we didn't want to get it confused with the JIF format (JPEG Interchange Format).

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 4:03pm

Post #41 of 63 (120 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

But not for all films. Just the Geek-Loved ones :)

sample

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 25 2013, 4:22pm

Post #42 of 63 (117 views)
Shortcut
All the time. [In reply to] Can't Post

For example frequent big cheers during The Avengers and Red Tails. Of course lots of cheering during the LOTR films.

Seemed to be the case pretty much everywhere. For example I remember people cheering a lot during the original Star Wars (1977). A few months later I saw it in London and people cheered just as loud and pretty much in the same places as they did back in Texas.

Of course I haven't done much world traveling in years so maybe people have changed.

I do notice some people don't cheer at first during a cheerable movie, but then later they seem to get all caught up in the film and forget to be cool, so they end up cheering just as loudly as the rest of us.

Three meals for the Elven-kings high on the sky flet,
Three for the Dwarf-lords meat ripe off the bone,
Three for Mortal Men doomed to diet,
Seven for the Halflings of Hobbiton,
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

Seven meals to rule them all,
Seven meals to find them,
Seven meals to bring them all
And at the Party bind them
In the Land of the Shire where the taters fry.

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 5:04pm

Post #43 of 63 (108 views)
Shortcut
It depends [In reply to] Can't Post

on the movie and the audience.

Here (Netherlands) people don't cheer. Maybe you laugh out loud, but cheering, no.
But, when it is a special screening, especially first screenings, like LOTR, HP, Hobbit and Twilight, the audience is mainly fans of the genre. And they know what is coming, are more into the story and the characters. Than you get cheering, applauding, laughing out loud, crying and a bit applause at the end of the movie. Those screenings I love to attend, because the cinema is filled with fans and the reaction is more like your own.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Oct 25 2013, 6:40pm

Post #44 of 63 (112 views)
Shortcut
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh [In reply to] Can't Post

...and at one time I practically had the entire dialog of New Hope memorized....

of course, I hate to admit, that I have never seen Gone With The Wind...............

Go outside and play...

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 8:14pm

Post #45 of 63 (103 views)
Shortcut
YES! [In reply to] Can't Post

People cheered for LOTS of stuff in the Star Wars films in their original release.

I went to a first-day showing of TESB (not the FIRST show, but the first day, and still had to wait in line through two showings to get in) back in 1980, and they were bouncing beach balls around the theater before the lights went down.

Now THOSE were cool nerds!

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 8:21pm

Post #46 of 63 (104 views)
Shortcut
What am I if... [In reply to] Can't Post

I pronounce it "JEE AYE EFF"?

That's what I call it.

Really.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

(This post was edited by Advising Elf on Oct 25 2013, 8:21pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 8:30pm

Post #47 of 63 (98 views)
Shortcut
You are... [In reply to] Can't Post

...someone who spells out acronyms?

;)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 25 2013, 8:44pm

Post #48 of 63 (88 views)
Shortcut
To be fair, it's not from A New Hope. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Advising Elf
Rohan

Oct 25 2013, 8:45pm

Post #49 of 63 (102 views)
Shortcut
Well, I do call .jpg "JAYPEGG". [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that give me absolution?

Or just make me even?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 25 2013, 9:18pm

Post #50 of 63 (84 views)
Shortcut
That depends [In reply to] Can't Post

...on how uneven you are!

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.