Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sherlock Series 3 US Air date announced!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 5:44pm

Post #1 of 29 (409 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock Series 3 US Air date announced! Can't Post

PBS has announced that Sherlock Series 3 will be showing on Jan 19th at 10 pm EST on PBS Masterpiece.

The UK air date has not yet been announced.

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 23 2013, 5:46pm

Post #2 of 29 (289 views)
Shortcut
VERY cool news! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Bborchar!!! Cool

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2013, 8:32pm

Post #3 of 29 (280 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

Moffat is being a bit of a tease with this one. My enjoyment of his work was in danger of being over run by me getting tired of his stunts.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 8:33pm

Post #4 of 29 (286 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Moffat is being a bit of a tease with this one. My enjoyment of his work was in danger of being over run by me getting tired of his stunts.

What are you talking about?

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2013, 8:51pm

Post #5 of 29 (285 views)
Shortcut
From what I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

part of the first episode was filmed concurrently with Reichenbach Falls back in 2012 with no news of if or when there would be a 3rd series. Moffat teased that early on, even claiming that he and his co-writer had outdone Conan Doyle in their version. Then he teased three words that were supposed to allude to this 3rd series... then he wrapped filming and didn't release anything, except to say he would be saying something soon...

It's just an opinion, but between Dr. Who and Sherlock, the man's ego is in danger of eclipsing his talent.

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 9:09pm

Post #6 of 29 (281 views)
Shortcut
None of that is true, actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

They filmed a few scenes (but not all) of the solution to TRF, but not part of the episode. They can't commission a series until the BBC commissions it and the actors are optioned...they had originally planned on filming in Jan of this year, but had to push it back because of scheduling conflicts. They broke filming up between episodes 2 and 3 so that Freeman could finish shooting "The Hobbit". They did the 3-word tease with series 2 as well...it's sort of a tradition now. They can't release anything as soon as they wrap...there's a thing called "post production". They have, however, put out two different trailers with Sherlock already in the past month or so, so if you really want to see it, both of them are out there.

"Ego" had nothing to do with it. I followed the filming from start to finish and they have done nothing unsavory or egotistical at all. I never heard anything about them saying "We've outdone Conan Doyle"...and I hear a lot. Citation? He deals with two of the most rabid fanbases I've ever seen who take every single thing personally for some odd reason, so the fact that he stays as sane as he does astounds me.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Oct 23 2013, 9:18pm)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2013, 9:31pm

Post #7 of 29 (268 views)
Shortcut
Like I said, [In reply to] Can't Post

my opinion. I find his interviews to be full of ego. I stopped reading a lot because of what I saw as ego so I apologize for not getting all the details right, if in fact I did.

As for the citation:

"Moffat claims he and Gatiss have gone one better than Arthur Conan Doyle in bringing Holmes back from the dead. "He cheated outrageously. He has Watson deduce that Holmes must have fallen off a waterfall. But there was no body. And it only means one thing in a detective show when there's no body."
The 50-year-old co-creator of the series is clearly revelling in wrongfooting the show's millions of fans. He previously tantalised viewers before the finale by suggesting that his hero might not survive."

Wrongfooting is great and a great way to gain publicity. But at some point, it gets tiring, at least it did to me and others I have talked to about this very issue. If you have a higher threshold, that's great! Personally, I want the writer to write, stay off the screen and air the episodes, that's all. (And that comes from someone who would like to write screenplays someday. )

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Oct 23 2013, 9:35pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 9:39pm

Post #8 of 29 (266 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, no... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
my opinion. I find his interviews to be full of ego.

As for the citation:

"Moffat claims he and Gatiss have gone one better than Arthur Conan Doyle in bringing Holmes back from the dead. "He cheated outrageously. He has Watson deduce that Holmes must have fallen off a waterfall. But there was no body. And it only means one thing in a detective show when there's no body."
The 50-year-old co-creator of the series is clearly revelling in wrongfooting the show's millions of fans. He previously tantalised viewers before the finale by suggesting that his hero might not survive."

Wrongfooting is great and a great way to gain publicity. But at some point, it gets tiring, at least it did to me and others I have talked to about this very issue. If you have a higher threshold, that's great! Personally, I want the writer to write, stay off the screen and air the episodes, that's all. (And that comes from someone who would like to write screenplays someday. )

Reread that. He never says that he one-upped Doyle. He simply said that Doyle cheated outrageously...which he did. He also said "it means only one thing when there's not body"...and he's right. No one in the audience today believes that someone who 'dies' without a body is actually dead. Not seeing where you see 'ego' in his statement. It's all true. But then again, as a fan of Doctor Who and Sherlock, I see the Moffat haters come out and read the completely wrong things into anything he says. He's not simply the head writer of these shows, he's also the executive producer. It's his JOB to go out and promote them.

In any case, if you don't want to watch it because you don't like the head writer and producer, more power to you. It's not going to stop me from watching two of the best written, best produced and most popular shows on television today and enjoying it.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 23 2013, 9:41pm

Post #9 of 29 (264 views)
Shortcut
Ok my mistake [In reply to] Can't Post

You win.

Admins please remove my offensive comments.

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Oct 23 2013, 9:42pm)

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 23 2013, 10:09pm

Post #10 of 29 (240 views)
Shortcut
Now I wonder when we'll get it in Australia? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm both looking forward to season 3 and a little bit nervous about it too. Personally, I thought the second season wasn't quite as good as the first Crazy. I hope season three is better, though.

(This post was edited by Kalimac on Oct 23 2013, 10:10pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 10:24pm

Post #11 of 29 (239 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm both looking forward to season 3 and a little bit nervous about it too. Personally, I thought the second season wasn't quite as good as the first Crazy. I hope season three is better, though.

I liked Series 2 better, but from what I've seen, I think Series 3 will blow both 1 & 2 out of the water. It really looks like it will absolutely amazing.

imin
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 11:16pm

Post #12 of 29 (220 views)
Shortcut
When is it to be aired in the UK? // [In reply to] Can't Post

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 11:22pm

Post #13 of 29 (220 views)
Shortcut
No air date for the UK yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because the BBC won't schedule it until they have the completed series in their hands. They usually announce everything a few weeks before it airs. If I had to hazard a guess, I would think it would air sometime around Jan 1st or so. I don't have any inside information, that's just some of the rumors I've heard.

imin
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 11:33pm

Post #14 of 29 (213 views)
Shortcut
That's great :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your estimation and reply, from your knowledge of the series i imagine it is a good guess. Smile

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 11:49pm

Post #15 of 29 (207 views)
Shortcut
Anytime :) [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'll be sure to post the UK date as soon as I hear of it (if no one else posts first).

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 12:22am

Post #16 of 29 (210 views)
Shortcut
Sherlock syndrome [In reply to] Can't Post

You know how whiny kids get the day after their birthday (mea culpa) and say, "You mean I have to wait a whole year for another birthday?" That's what a Sherlock series/season does to me. I have fun, enjoy it, rewatch it, then am flattened by the reality that I have to wait a whole stinkin' year or two for another one. Why doesn't Facebook have a "Whine about this" feature so we could bully show producers into speeding things up for us? This is not the generation meant to wait for things!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 1:00am

Post #17 of 29 (198 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought when I saw this thread was "we have to wait until JANUARY? WAH!" Tongue

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 1:49am

Post #18 of 29 (191 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already preparing myself for withdrawal XD After all of the months of waiting and watching, it almost doesn't seem real.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 1:56am

Post #19 of 29 (196 views)
Shortcut
I actually enjoy the show very much [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't enjoy him. That is an opinion. Telling Twitter verse that he's going to stop writing the show if anyone so much as posts a gif or screen shot? That kind of thing turns me off. And no I do not have a citation for that but I remember reading it and thinking I'd better stop following the Sherlock promotional stuff. And that is why I don't follow Sherlock promotional materials as closely as I gather others do. The egos of the creators affected my enjoyment of the show so I don't pay attention to them. Making an offhand comment about that opinion was not meant to turn people off to the show itself. That's a big over blown, don't you think?

As to the show?

Recreating Irene Adler as a dominatrix? Inspired! Brilliant! Casting Martin Freeman? Wonderful! Even the little CGI effects when Sherlock is thinking - Love it! I've loved Sherlock Holmes for 40 years but I've never been a purist. Watching this show recreate the character with modern sensibilities brings a breath of fresh air to the stories. It's wonderful. I love Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal in Elementary too and actually enjoy that a bit more. And while I love both, I have a hard time calling them the best thing since sliced bread. I like sliced bread, but I'd rather slice my own sometimes. I can make it thicker that way.

I have DVDs of the first two series on the bookshelf next to me. I just happen to be a fan of the show, not the writer.

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 2:06am

Post #20 of 29 (198 views)
Shortcut
Who cares about the writer of a show... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just don't enjoy him. That is an opinion. Telling Twitter verse that he's going to stop writing the show if anyone so much as posts a gif or screen shot? That kind of thing turns me off. And no I do not have a citation for that but I remember reading it and thinking I'd better stop following the Sherlock promotional stuff. And that is why I don't follow Sherlock promotional materials as closely as I gather others do. The egos of the creators affected my enjoyment of the show so I don't pay attention to them. Making an offhand comment about that opinion was not meant to turn people off to the show itself. That's a big over blown, don't you think?

As to the show?

Recreating Irene Adler as a dominatrix? Inspired! Brilliant! Casting Martin Freeman? Wonderful! Even the little CGI effects when Sherlock is thinking - Love it! I've loved Sherlock Holmes for 40 years but I've never been a purist. Watching this show recreate the character with modern sensibilities brings a breath of fresh air to the stories. It's wonderful. I love Jonny Lee Miller's portrayal in Elementary too and actually enjoy that a bit more. And while I love both, I have a hard time calling them the best thing since sliced bread. I like sliced bread, but I'd rather slice my own sometimes. I can make it thicker that way.

I have DVDs of the first two series on the bookshelf next to me. I just happen to be a fan of the show, not the writer.

...if you like the show?

And I believe Moffat said that he would no longer show clips of Sherlock or Doctor Who at Comic Con if people leaked them to the public...not that he would stop writing them.

http://www.geekosystem.com/moffat-traile/

It was completely fair because they are showing raw, unfinished clips and they don't want millions of people to judge the quality of the show based on those clips.

But again, I've never sat and wondered about what the head writer of a show was doing or what he was like. I simply say, "hmm, I like this show, the writing is great and it's fun to watch," and I leave it at that.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 3:19am

Post #21 of 29 (190 views)
Shortcut
I just finished season 2 for the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

So I'm really excited to hear this! I'm so glad I won't have had the super long wait that everyone else did.

I'm not sure if I like it airing right after Downton, though. It might almost be too much of a good thing.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 3:22am

Post #22 of 29 (186 views)
Shortcut
Oh lucky! [In reply to] Can't Post

...I wish I could go back and watch it for the first time again XD Especially around now, when it's so close. Hopefully you loved the end of TRF? Everyone should come up with some sort of theory before the show airs to see how close they got, imo ;)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 5:14am

Post #23 of 29 (171 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure it's like "Lost" [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone in Britain is there because they died on a plane crash there long ago (it is just another island, you know). So they can die again and again and it doesn't matter because they're already dead. So Moriarity can die, Sherlock can die, and Mycroft is already dead, which is why he's so pale and boring.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 24 2013, 6:55am

Post #24 of 29 (165 views)
Shortcut
Zombie Elaen here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, thanks CG!! You mean I'm immortal??!!Crazy Cool!!WinkAngelic Or maybe the UK is really Valinor ( well, it is just another island you knowWink) Although, I don't think so, since there seem to be a few orcs and trolls around!!Frown

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Oct 24 2013, 7:07am

Post #25 of 29 (168 views)
Shortcut
Ahh you beat me to it bborchar! Exciting news indeed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hardly contain my excitement!! I'm glad it's late January here in the U.S. I thought, as much as I am so anxious to see the series start again, December would have been a really bad time to air it, since a lot of people are way busy with the holidays. AND this way, I can have my Sherlock group re-watch of the first two seasons in preparation for the start of number three! (I will have my fellow Sherlock fans over on several consecutive weekends to watch several episodes at a time.) I can hardly wait for the reunion of Sherlock and John!!! It will be positively EPIC!!! Eeeekkk!! TongueCool

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.