Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn in scene shot!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 23 2013, 7:21pm

Post #26 of 84 (689 views)
Shortcut
I give PJ and company credit [In reply to] Can't Post

for not making a version of TH where every single male character (except for elves) looks like either a regular or super-sized dwarf with varying shades of haircolor and beard dressings - and the odd lack of or change of hat style.

Breaking out of the obligatory bearded norseman expectation mode here - I can buy this image of Beorn as being a "wildman" of sorts. Works for me!

While I wouldn't mistake him for Paul Bunyan or anything - he is still quite tall being taller than even Gandalf's hat. I like all the extra hair.

architecthis
Lorien

Oct 23 2013, 7:21pm

Post #27 of 84 (643 views)
Shortcut
aweful [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 7:25pm

Post #28 of 84 (605 views)
Shortcut
100% agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 23 2013, 7:26pm

Post #29 of 84 (602 views)
Shortcut
I love it ... but he looks like the Grinch! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure it's the angle he's looking from, cos otherwise I love his design Cool

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 7:28pm

Post #30 of 84 (580 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one of the reasons I am liking the design. He doesn't look like a giant dwarf or Hagrid clone.

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 7:29pm

Post #31 of 84 (599 views)
Shortcut
Yes, you did [In reply to] Can't Post

We know each other from a collectors website we've been on since 2003. I guess one websites take on banter is much different to others! You clearly have to watch what you say around here.

He's very easily pleased with collectibles too ;-)

Josh knows I'm only kidding around.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:31pm

Post #32 of 84 (569 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of something from Dr. Seuess.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 7:32pm

Post #33 of 84 (580 views)
Shortcut
Okay, I deeply apologize. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wanted to make sure that neither opinion here was shut down in any way - so this was more a general comment that unfortunately hit the wrong person (at least one of the two) :)

So, again, I misunderstood and deeply apologize.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 23 2013, 7:33pm)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:33pm

Post #34 of 84 (573 views)
Shortcut
Love the design. [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly appreciate how Beorn has more of a feral, "wolf man"-esque look (that mane is a nice touch). He could have very easily been a Hagrid clone.

Foromir
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 7:47pm

Post #35 of 84 (549 views)
Shortcut
awful or awe-ful? [In reply to] Can't Post

To decide myself, I will have to wait and see the whole figure.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:53pm

Post #36 of 84 (578 views)
Shortcut
Ugh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I DONT like it. He looks... way to small and... I don't know. He just looks silly to me. I will have to wait and see though. I know Persbrandt has an amazing voice and there is something about him that really speaks to this character so I can understand why they picked him. BUT THE DESIGN? Ugh...Crazy

Bernhardina
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:55pm

Post #37 of 84 (561 views)
Shortcut
Oh and Thranduil has a competition for the most amazing eyebrows in middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 8:00pm

Post #38 of 84 (523 views)
Shortcut
About the smallness [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps he is leaning/bent somewhat? (Perhaps Gandalf is also in a position rendering him smaller)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 8:01pm

Post #39 of 84 (519 views)
Shortcut
Beorn could be bent down [In reply to] Can't Post

The image is too cropped to tell one way or another.

Kili
The Shire

Oct 23 2013, 8:57pm

Post #40 of 84 (452 views)
Shortcut
Gotta love Captain Haddock!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yay, someone else likes Tintin too! Smile

***virtual high-five***

imin
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 9:15pm

Post #41 of 84 (458 views)
Shortcut
I really want to like it [In reply to] Can't Post

But they seem to be making it so hard to like, he looks rubbish! Oh Peej!

Something looks wrong with his face - they added unnecessary prosthetics? His facial and head hair looks fake, with a design i think looks like a bad idea that slipped though the net.

For me there is more room for design between this or having a hagrid clone, not just one or the other.

Oh well at least he is original, hopefully he will look better moving around so i don't notice the fake hair.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what they have used for the hair in the hobbit movies and what was used in lotr movies? Also was there any different techniques used?

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 9:28pm

Post #42 of 84 (450 views)
Shortcut
Didn't they say in the vlogs... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that they needed to use real hair because HFR would be unforgiving?

Just found it: http://youtu.be/zfX1PYv1FEY?t=41m14s

imin
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 9:40pm

Post #43 of 84 (421 views)
Shortcut
That is incredible [In reply to] Can't Post

I am surprised they are somehow able to make real hair look fake! That's a skill, lol.

Maybe it was down to LOTR being filmed in good old regular 24 fps where as this is in 48 fps so to me looks worse (the hair). though that shouldnt make a difference to a photo should it?

I dunno, personally i think the actor looks better prior to them changing his face with prosthetics but oh well, i'll live, lol.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

elanor_thefair
Bree

Oct 23 2013, 9:41pm

Post #44 of 84 (407 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks so much different than I had in my mind while reading the book... well, I will wait for the actor's performance before take any conclusions about movie Beorn.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 9:41pm

Post #45 of 84 (401 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he looks promising, though it's quite difficult to say until one sees the acting Ė which should be very good, given the actor.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Oct 23 2013, 9:47pm

Post #46 of 84 (415 views)
Shortcut
Think his design is pretty good [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks a lot better here compared to the overly photoshopped first image we saw of him. I think the designers at Weta have done the right thing by going for something different to the book's description. I can imagine a lot of people thinking of him as Hagrid's long lost brother. I can, however see why some might not like it, it is quite surprising.

Yes, my username is terrible.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 10:26pm

Post #47 of 84 (396 views)
Shortcut
Bard looks so like Will Turner in his calender shot it's ridiculous!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely Orlando Bloom must have commented on that at some point during production! Must have been like looking in a mirror from 7 years ago! :D

Also, I like how the kids get their own month in the calender. Cause they have such huge, important roles, apparently....;)

Beorn looks fine. There's no point in making him look insanely huge. He is around the size of Azog, it seems. The main thing is that he towers over Bilbo and the Dwarves.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 23 2013, 10:27pm

Post #48 of 84 (361 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome - gotta order!!!

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 10:34pm

Post #49 of 84 (356 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it. Will have to wait to see the film and acting though.

Now Radagast and his precious bird poo, I despise.

Thoromir
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 10:45pm

Post #50 of 84 (351 views)
Shortcut
Remember the vlogs? [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn's furniture is really big compared to the company. I'm sure it will all turn out just fine ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.