Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: Allegiance to Denethor

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:41pm

Views: 599
Shortcut
SCOD: Allegiance to Denethor Can't Post

Welcome to another Screencap of the Day.

Here are the images:

You can find the full sized images here, here and here.

The scene, in general, was very well done in my opinion – and is one of my favourites. It showed the relationship between Denethor and Faramir, and how their personalities clash. This scene is more about their different approaches to war. Faramir has been out and has witnessed what has happened in Osgiliath and how his men had been able to cope, whereas Denethor thinks that an army can take it back as, I believe, he still has it in his head that Boromir would have been able to have done it.

1) The screencap of Pippin is quite an interesting one as it shows that he is in the middle, torn between Denethor and Faramir, though clearly his expression is a disapproving one towards Denethor. What are your thoughts on this?

2) Did you like how instead of a Council with all the Captains, they decided to just focus on Denethor and Faramir, and include Pippin (who witnesses the whole discussion between them)?

3)

’Do you wish then,’ said Faramir, ‘that our places had been exchanged?’
‘Yes, I wish that indeed,’ said Denethor. ‘For Boromir was loyal to me and no wizard's pupil. He would have remembered his father's need, and would not have squandered what fortune gave. He would have brought me a mighty gift.’
[...]
'Since you are robbed of Boromir, I will go and do what I can in his stead, if you command it.'
'I do so,' said Denethor.
'Then farewell!' said Faramir. 'But if I should return, think better of me!'
'That depends on the manner of your return,' said Denethor.

~Return of the King | The Siege of Gondor

I thought it was very harsh, in the film, the way Denethor just says, “Yes, I wish that,” and takes a drink from his chalice as if what he had said was merely a casual remark. And then we see how upset Faramir is by his statement [poor him!]. What is your opinion on how the filmmakers carried out this part of the scene?

4) Any other thoughts/comments about this scene?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Subject User Time
SCOD: Allegiance to Denethor FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 23 2013, 7:41pm
    I like the irony in this Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Send a private message to Lieutenant of Dol Guldur Oct 24 2013, 12:48pm
        Great analysis there, Lieutenant! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 25 2013, 6:28pm
    Such a sad scene elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 25 2013, 7:13pm
        It is, indeed, such a tragic scene. FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 26 2013, 1:39pm
        Could you imagine... Phantom Send a private message to Phantom Nov 2 2013, 3:33pm
    SCOD-Allegiance willowing Send a private message to willowing Oct 27 2013, 11:41pm
        I doubt Faramir would want to sit at the table and dine with his father FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 28 2013, 6:36pm
    One of my favorite parts! Faenoriel Send a private message to Faenoriel Oct 28 2013, 12:12pm
        I guess you have a point there. FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 28 2013, 6:33pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.