Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Brothers: get it together!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Nevrast
Bree

Oct 22 2013, 4:40pm

Post #1 of 44 (1832 views)
Shortcut
Warner Brothers: get it together! Can't Post

Is it just me or does Warner Brothers seem to be an organizational mess of a company with no taste?

I hate to be harsh, but they seem to mess up so many things.

First the digital edition of the EE is supposed to be out today then it IS for a bit in some countries then it is down. Get it together! It's showing on planes but with no real announcement. What's going on?

Then there are the super super super cheesy posters and other promotional materials. I know there was some of this with LOTR but it seems even more extreme this time around (though the movie is a lot cheesier too).

The trailers also don't seem as good and the TV spots especially tend to be pretty bad.

Oh, and then the DVD/Blu-ray boxes which are again super super cheesy and generic next to the classy New Line LOTR sets.

Basically all the marketing and promotion for these movies is really really sub-par, cheesy unorganized, and generic.

Really disappointing.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 22 2013, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 44 (900 views)
Shortcut
Don't forget [In reply to] Can't Post

The books - dates have changed twice!!! Mad

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 4:47pm

Post #3 of 44 (918 views)
Shortcut
If you find the movie itself... [In reply to] Can't Post

to be a cheese-fest, then why do you want to digitally download it so badly?

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 22 2013, 4:58pm

Post #4 of 44 (798 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say that it's all "super cheesy" but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree with you that the promoting has been less than stellar. I know that the movie is two months away, but they should be showing more previews. I've been watching a lot of television, and I have seen nothing. I've been to movies in theaters, and nothing. I've watched previews of Blu rays and Dvds, nothing...

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Subaruman
Bree

Oct 22 2013, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 44 (800 views)
Shortcut
There's a rush to be the first to criticise the new content// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Here is a book very unsuitable for dramatic or semi-dramatic representation. If that is attempted, it needs more space, a lot of space."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, 1956

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 44 (787 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately WB thinks they can market The Hobbit like Harry Potter [In reply to] Can't Post

They're recycling the marketing for the last two Harry Potter films with the mentality of "it worked before" and they're not really paying any attention to what fans want or what catches their interest.

It's unfortunate, but looking at it from WB perspective. They know The Hobbit is gonna make a tonne of money in the end, so they don't really need to give it much attention. It's more important to put their marketing priorities on their harder to sell projects and just let The Hobbit sell itself.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 22 2013, 5:17pm)

Nevrast
Bree

Oct 22 2013, 5:17pm

Post #7 of 44 (776 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say that. I said it was cheesier [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't say that it was a cheese-fest. I said it was cheesier than LOTR. Does anybody dispute that?

Even though there are some parts that I think are too cheesy for my taste, that doesn't mean I hate it all. There are parts I love! So I want to see the EE.

Not everything is black and white.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 5:40pm

Post #8 of 44 (727 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I absolutely dispute it [In reply to] Can't Post

Definition of cheesy: 1) like cheese in taste, smell or consistency 2) cheap and of low quality

I say The Hobbit is neither of the above. Plainly not the first, and as for the second - well, given the calibre of actors in it and the design team there's certainly nothing cheap about it and its quality is the very highest. Doesn't mean you or I or anyone else has to like it, but cheap and of low quality it ain't.

It isn't Lord of the Rings and it was never going to be because - get this - it's an adaptation of a different story and a very different style of book. It's different, that's all.

Never safe to assume that because you think something everyone else will think the same!

Nevrast
Bree

Oct 22 2013, 5:59pm

Post #9 of 44 (665 views)
Shortcut
Okay, if you're going to pick on my words [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's say "campy" instead.

Whatever though, the point of this thread isn't that the movie is somewhat cheesy. That's just a side point. The point of this thread is that Warner Brothers isn't handling the promotion and marketing in a good way.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 6:15pm

Post #10 of 44 (648 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Nevrast. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say your second definition hits the nail on the head.

No-one called The Hobbit cheesy. What Nevrast is saying is that the MARKETING has been cheesy and I completely agree. The posters have been cheap, badly Photoshopped, and poor quality, release dates for merchandise have been extremely inconsistent and quality of merchandise is noticeably poorer - compare book covers and action figures for example. We've seen little to no innovation with the promotion other than the cool Empire mag covers and the whole thing has completely failed to make the fanbase feel in any way valued. On top of that there's the confusing number of formats for everything from digital downloads, 3D blu-rays, HFR cinema showings. The whole thing just feels like a massive mess.

But hey, that's my opinion, I guess.

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 6:21pm

Post #11 of 44 (623 views)
Shortcut
This is, after all, [In reply to] Can't Post

the same studio that brought you Jack the Giant Slayer. Remember how Bryan Singer apologized on twitter for the poor poster design? If not, I wrote a blog entry about it at the time, opining, among other things, that TORn's campaign to help Bilbo win MTV's Best Hero contest was more professional than WB's own publicity--and that all done with volunteer labor. Back in 2000, when New Line was preparing a sub-par publicity campaign for LOTR, the cast and crew dug in their heels and forced NL to hire a publicist who could come up with a high-toned campaign. WB is a different sort of institution, unfortunately.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 6:23pm

Post #12 of 44 (617 views)
Shortcut
Posters [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll give ya on the posters. I don't think those have been done nearly as good as the LOTR posters. I would say that The Hobbit stuff otherwise has been pretty good as a whole. The books are still very well done and the action figures are pretty cool (we do need more of them though). The high end stuff from Weta is every bit as good if not better than the SSW stuff from a decade ago.

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 6:29pm

Post #13 of 44 (589 views)
Shortcut
While I largely agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

the trailers have been pretty poor, and there is a lot of cheesy merchandise out there...I think that this complaint is fairly over exaggerated.

The 'official' posters of LOTR were beautiful but there were a lot of cheesy, bad photoshopped ones out there as well. So far the official poster (and the teaser posters) for The Hobbit have been very well done, even if there are some bad secondary ones out there.
I think a lot of the cheesy LOTR merchandise has fallen by the wayside in the last decade and people have forgotten about it.
We are still getting the beautiful stuff from WETA, and it is as good as ever.

I'm not saying that I am totally happy with everything WB has done, and I do wish there was less of the commercial silliness, but it really isn't all that different. I think they have taken pretty huge steps in assuring consistency with LOTR.
We haven't seen the EE box in person yet but it seems to be almost EXACTLY the same as the LOTR EEs, with the exception of the picture on the front. Not to mention, home viewing is drastically different, and the market is totally different than what it was a decade ago.

I think people really try to find ways to be unhappy...that is the only conclusion I can come to these days.

(This post was edited by Lindele on Oct 22 2013, 6:31pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 22 2013, 6:30pm

Post #14 of 44 (621 views)
Shortcut
A really good way to annoy your customers [In reply to] Can't Post

is to not do what you said you would do. Hopefully WB will make an announcement about what is going on with the digital download.

Why do some businesses make it so hard for people to give them money?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 6:36pm

Post #15 of 44 (580 views)
Shortcut
That's a good question [In reply to] Can't Post

It does make one wonder. I have a story about AT&T here in the states doing something stupid when I wanted to buy the IPhone 4s. Seems WB is doing a bit of the same here with the EE digital version. It might not hurt them in the long run but it could. So why would you risk it? Crazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 6:44pm

Post #16 of 44 (559 views)
Shortcut
Well, he did, actually.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In his second post he said that The Hobbit was cheesier than LotR and he was sure no one would dispute that. No mention of the marketing. Put like that I would dispute it, and I did.

If we're talking marketing, yes, some of that does seem rather chaotic and disorganised. I think some of the posters have been very good. Some haven't appealed to me - I'm not sure that I'd jump from that to saying they're poor quality; it really isn't the same thing - and the stuff coming from Weta is the very highest quality, I'd say, even the things which don't particularly appeal to me.

As for 'making the fanbase feel valued' - I'm not absolutely sure that that's what marketing is about - certainly when it comes to a large corporation. With LotR it was all a bit experimental, wasn't it? New Line was a smaller company, no one was sure if the thing would succeed, so they made a huge effort. Things aren't like that any more, which is sad but probably inevitable.

When it comes to the myriad of different formats I'm with you 100%. I think the idea that different countries have to have different packaging and different release dates, and this is avilable here but not there is a recipe for making everyone feel discontented.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 22 2013, 6:48pm

Post #17 of 44 (548 views)
Shortcut
That's my biggest issue [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only are they not delivering on time they are not giving any reason as to why! Frown
Any information is better than no information. I planned on buying the digital download ...can't do that and no information as to when it will be available.
I have preordered several books - all pushed back.
I was considering buying some other stuff as gifts but due to unreliability I am now thinking that would not be a good idea. Unsure
Now I am sure WB isn't going to cry over losing my money but there will come a time when enough of us say ENOUGH and it will affect their pocketbook!
I will buy more from a company that delivers a good product as advertised ON TIME!!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 6:54pm

Post #18 of 44 (542 views)
Shortcut
because [In reply to] Can't Post

they are determined to go out of business, apparently....

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 7:37pm

Post #19 of 44 (524 views)
Shortcut
Trailer 2 awesome IMO, but too much image re-hash [In reply to] Can't Post

Disagree about trailer 2 which I thought was epic and I still re-watch - fabulous. Also both AUJ trailers.

Loved the new banner, loved the first teaser poster with Bilbo. Really loved the image suite of the each dwarf, Galadriel, Gandalf, Bilbo - the "blue" Thorin picture is one the two favorite images of a movie character I have ever seen, thoroughly capturing the character, and a framed copy has a place of honor on my wall.
But there's too much image re-use and re-hash, IMO, it's not like we can't tell - srsly, would it break the bank to take one or two new pictures of Thranduil? Cheap, cheap. Too late if it wasn't done while filming, cast is probably scattered all over the globe and costumes and sets in warehouses.

And now there's the digitial download debacle - and unfortunately, even if I'm getting jerked around, I'll put up with it as a captive fan. Can only hope there is a PR explosion as DOS gets closer, or are all the entertainment magazines going to get a collection of rehash to print?

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 7:42pm

Post #20 of 44 (494 views)
Shortcut
Image rehash [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be satisfied even with them just taking a still image Thranduil from the film, and used it at this point.

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 7:55pm

Post #21 of 44 (462 views)
Shortcut
This has been one of my biggest worries.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

We haven't seen the EE box in person yet but it seems to be almost EXACTLY the same as the LOTR EEs, with the exception of the picture on the front. Not to mention, home viewing is drastically different, and the market is totally different than what it was a decade ago.

Back when the LOTR EE's were coming out these extended addition releases with the huge amount of extra content (documentary material, artwork, etc..) were still novel. I think the studios were still wondering if they were going to catch on and become a money making endeavor for every blockbuster. The LOTR films kind of set the benchmark in this area. It seems things have changed in recent years and the days of the massive EE packs seem to be waning. I can recall that early on in pre-production PJ mentioned something along the lines that, while they don't plan to make films with a bunch of unused content that doesn't go into the theatrical release because it's inefficient, he wanted to stay true to what they did in the LOTR EE's and deliver a lot of extra 'appendices' type content. Since WB got involved I've been concerned about whether or not they would pressure PJ to keep the extra content at a minimum to maximize profit. From the descriptions I've seen of the upcoming EE release I'm pleased to say that it looks like PJ got his way, but I will wait until it's in my Blu-Ray player to say I'm relieved.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 8:04pm

Post #22 of 44 (443 views)
Shortcut
Of course, those aren't the only 2 definitions of "cheesy" [In reply to] Can't Post

This slang dictionary has 7!

"Cheesy" can also mean cliched, melodramatic, corny, trying too hard...Smile

But agreed, the marketing has been lacklustre at best...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 8:26pm

Post #23 of 44 (445 views)
Shortcut
I agree the Weta stuff is still fantastic [In reply to] Can't Post

You say the action figures are good, but compare them in quality to the Lord of the Rings action figures. I have my Lurtz figure which I love. If the Azog figure was any where near as good I'd be much more interested in collecting.

An easier contrast is the Legolas figures from The Hobbit and LotR. the LotR one is just a much better product.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 8:39pm

Post #24 of 44 (412 views)
Shortcut
Sorry for exaggerating. But I get more interesting responses this way [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy for fans to get a little angry at me if it makes for an interesting debate.

I disagree about the posters. The main theatrical posters for Lord of the Rings were all good. The only posters I've really really liked for The Hobbit are Bilbo walking out his door and the close-up of Bilbo holding Sting. The others just look a bit "cheap", and what worries me is that it's these "cheap" looking ones that seem to be used the most for advertising and for the dvd cases!

This is all very subjective of course so I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong, just that I personally feel really let down by WB's marketing and none of it is really appealing to me. We don't even have a Hobbit video game! But I suppose at the end poor marketing is better than no marketing.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 22 2013, 8:41pm)

StoneHex104
Rivendell

Oct 22 2013, 8:57pm

Post #25 of 44 (385 views)
Shortcut
Without WB there wouldn't be a Hobbit movie produced, be grateful for what they have done for us, the fans [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.