Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ Extended Edition - New Scenes Discussion *HEAVY SPOILERS INSIDE*
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 7:39am

Post #26 of 72 (673 views)
Shortcut
Oh, okay. Well, I am okay with that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it all works for me in the "appeasement" kind of way that some characters are portrayed who want to downplay anything Gandalf "meddles" in.

I am sure they will show what the Necro was able to do via the Ring (potentially) to Thrain, so the Grey will be proven right here as well imho.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 7:42am

Post #27 of 72 (679 views)
Shortcut
It may be so. Certainly the fact of Thrain's capture will have some significance. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 8:35am

Post #28 of 72 (704 views)
Shortcut
Music observations? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interested to know what music (if any) was played during the Thranduil, Girion, young Bilbo flashback and Hobbiton marketplace scene.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 8:52am

Post #29 of 72 (678 views)
Shortcut
Bomby always Thought THE ONE ruled all other Rings?.. [In reply to] Can't Post

...and in the Darkness Bind THEM?

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 22 2013, 8:54am)

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 8:58am

Post #30 of 72 (690 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but the issue here is that though bound to the fate of the One, the others are not useless as long as the One is lost.

However, I really think it is more meant to underline how Saruman tries to downplay the threat.

It would also not be out of character for him to underestimate the power of the Seven... And probably also the Three. Fully acknowledging their power would be pretty hard on him I guess, since he certainly cannot feel too happy about who wears them, even in his uncorrupted days. This doesn't mean he does not know their powers... It is more the acknowledging of a power denied to himself despite his high status.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 22 2013, 9:05am)

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 4:09pm

Post #31 of 72 (469 views)
Shortcut
Young Bilbo music [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to check the Thranduil & Girion bits again tonight, but the Young Bilbo scene was unscored but had "Flaming Red Hair" playing at the party, so just like the Long Expected Party.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 4:37pm

Post #32 of 72 (443 views)
Shortcut
So there wasn't any new footage concerning the Warg Chase? [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked like there was - I distictly remember a scene in one of the extras (the one to do with Thorin, Fli and Kli) where it looks like Thorin and Fli are behind a rock and Fli says something to Thorin...

Thanks for posting this up, though. Wink

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 4:41pm

Post #33 of 72 (448 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton Scene music [In reply to] Can't Post

The music during the scene of Bilbo heading off into Hobbiton and lots of shots of Hobbits at the market and doing Hobbity things is unsuprisingly some tracking of "Bag End" from the FotR Complete Recordings ("Bag End" is listed in the End Credits).

It is a VERY similar montage to the one in FotR so the music obviously fits even if it a bit of tracking. The time code relating to that CD track are bits used are 1.06 - to approx 1.40 (it fades behind the dialogue).

The scene ends with Bilbo panicking as he thinks he see Gandalf's Hat, the music for this bit is also "Bag End" - it's a bit 10 or so second part plucked from some where in the 2.05 - 2.30 region - the part in FotR where Bilbo panics he has lost the ring, I think?

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 4:42pm

Post #34 of 72 (413 views)
Shortcut
About how many seconds... [In reply to] Can't Post

does the young bilbo/firework scene run?

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 4:47pm

Post #35 of 72 (409 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Confirms that Shore didn't do any new recording for these. Pretty sad to see all this tracked music.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 4:58pm

Post #36 of 72 (417 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Sad to see so much of the effort put forth on the LotR films not being carried over this time around. The way the music has been handled has been atrocious, all around. Frown

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 5:00pm

Post #37 of 72 (407 views)
Shortcut
It's by far my main issue with AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

People talk about overuse of CGI, too much humour and unrealistic scrapes, but the handling of the music was more offensive than any of these to me.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Oct 22 2013, 5:00pm)

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 5:13pm

Post #38 of 72 (383 views)
Shortcut
but.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Confirms that Shore didn't do any new recording for these. Pretty sad to see all this tracked music.

Was anyone really expecting it any *new* music??

With only 13 minutes of extra footage and about 1/3 of the music for new scenes already existing (as heard on the Soundtrack) and two "songs" taking up a few minutes of time.

They would of had to rustle up a recording session for about 3 minutes of music...no not happening.

Kilidoescartwheels
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 5:23pm

Post #39 of 72 (358 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves throwing food [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, perhaps its because they don't like the food?Wink Clearly they don't like the music, either - and in the scene I saw, Thorin abruptly leaves the table after Elrond asks what they were doing on the great east road, as if to say "none of your damn business" (he actually says "excuse me") and rejoins his men for the song. Yep, he dances along majestically, of course. In fact, if I had any idea how to do it I'd set that whole scene to the "Harlem Shake" music that was so popular this past summer, only I'd call it the "Hobbit Shake."Sly

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 5:42pm

Post #40 of 72 (346 views)
Shortcut
But surely they could have done better than tracked FotR music?! [In reply to] Can't Post

What this tells me is that PJ really doesn't want to use Howard's theme for Bilbo. This would have been the perfect place to stick it in.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 5:56pm

Post #41 of 72 (332 views)
Shortcut
Correct [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would hazard a guess then that Howard probably scored the Marketplace scene during the sessions, so why not use that? Why not use some of 'A Very Respectable Hobbit'? Just something we haven't heard in the film before. Anything but tracked LOTR music again.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 6:02pm

Post #42 of 72 (330 views)
Shortcut
Oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Like tracked Evenstar, Edoras, and others in TTT?

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 6:13pm

Post #43 of 72 (325 views)
Shortcut
Just [In reply to] Can't Post

Just Curious, do any of the appendices talk about the score for AUJ at all?

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 6:34pm

Post #44 of 72 (305 views)
Shortcut
A very respectable Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

From playing that over the top of the scene the part of the track from 30 seconds onwards does seem to fit with the reveal of the Shire and Bilbos shopping with the bit from 1min 08 also fitting with the jokey reveal of non Gandalf.

Wasn't this track used as tracked music just prior to Blunt the Knives?
Hobbition market may have been its original intention?

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 6:36pm

Post #45 of 72 (309 views)
Shortcut
Not seen them yet. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Digital Version was pulled from the iTunes store before my Appendices finished downloading, because they are "iTunes Extra" interactive files they are not movie files like the film. So I can't watch them yet!

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 7:00pm

Post #46 of 72 (277 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

No, not that I know of.

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 7:02pm

Post #47 of 72 (285 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell music [In reply to] Can't Post

Both of these bits are as was kind of expected.

The Scene of Bilbo walking up to Narsil, looking at the painting and the Ring, walking out and enjoying Rivendell and then the opening few second of the conversation with Elrond are all scored by unused material from The White Council (Extended Version) 0:00 - 1:31

The bit from 1:31 - 2:24 is not used, but this was known when the Elrond clip appeared online a month or so ago.

Not entirely sure what bit scores where Lindir and Elrond speak and see the Dwarves bathing. I don't have that a good music ear to recall all the bits.

The scene of Bilbo and Thorin ovehearing Elrond and Gandalf speaking about Smaug, Thrain and Thror is scored by unused material from The White Council (Extended Version) 2:24 - 3:33
[That is also the same as the opening 1:09 from the standard track.]

The extra 50 or so seconds during the actual White Council dose have some sparse scoring across it but I can't tell if its bit that was originally omitted or just some looping.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 7:04pm

Post #48 of 72 (256 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

The bit with Lindir and Elrond is tracked from the latter part of Bilbo's theme heard in 'Axe or Sword'.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 7:14pm

Post #49 of 72 (244 views)
Shortcut
How long... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the fireworks/little bilbo scene?

DjU
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 7:20pm

Post #50 of 72 (244 views)
Shortcut
Young Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

The actual Young Bilbo / Old Took party scene is about 27 seconds, followed by a three second reaction shot of Old Bilbo smiling as he remembers it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.