Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How can AUJ:EE NOT acknowledge the eagles in some way??

Shadow&Flame

Oct 22 2013, 3:22pm

Views: 959
Shortcut
How can AUJ:EE NOT acknowledge the eagles in some way?? Can't Post

Hey everyone - I've been following this site since 2001 and this is my very first post! I feel oddly compelled to bring up something that's been troubling me, especially now that it sounds like there won't be EE time dedicated to at least mentioning the eagles at the end of AUJ. (And I'm glad I have a great forum here to chime in if possible!)

Simply put, AUJ's climax had our heroes in dire peril, and they barely escape in a stunning scene thanks to a seemingly random moth/butterfly summoning a flock of eagles who save our heroes, fly them away, drop them off at a random location, and then fly away - with no explanation or even a line of "what the heck was that all about?" I was sure that PJ had cut any reference to the eagles when I observed the weird transition between Thorin recovering and hugging Bilbo and then Gwahir flying away and the group silently turning to the Lonely Mt. in the distance.

In terms of the first movie of the series, which should be able to be viewed as a stand-alone movie leading into the other five of the epic saga, how do you base your climax around the heated Azog battle and then have your heroes whisked away by a random pack of eagles? I think I'm mostly irked because this was PJ's golden chance to introduce the eagles (even with a simple line or two) so that all those armchair viewers out there who have been questioning "why don't the eagles fly Frodo to Mt. Doom?" and "why don't the eagles fly the dwarves to Erebor?" or even "what's the deal with the eagles?" could have some sort of answer from the filmmakers (without more dedicated fans like me having to explain). I even recall the early days when they announced the Hobbit films would go into production, I thought "Good, at least a chance to PJ to name-drop the eagles and explain a little about these characters who play a MAJOR role in our characters' fates." I liked the eagles' intro in Fellowship because the connection to the moth and Gandalf was clear and it was a cool resource for Gandalf. Overall I didn't think it needed an explanation. And the eagles' role in ROTK was earned because of their previous intro in Fellowship. But their first intro into the saga in AUJ comes at a movie's climax so it's begging to be explained in my eyes.

Sure, maybe Gandalf will acknowledge the eagles in a future film. But for PJ to make the climax of the AUJ the frying pan/fire escape, and then to have the climax resolved by a totally random act, and to not have any of the characters even reference the amazing and random act, seems like a big oversight to me. I've watched the movie with people who haven't read the book or read/seen LOTR, and I feel their pain/confusion at seeing that ending, but I told them that there would most definitely be some sort of acknowledgment in the extended edition.

Am I crazy? I know the eagles aren't actual characters we're following on this quest, but they do some very important things - and it's unrealistic in the movies for the dwarves to have their lives saved and not even ask about them, right? The Hobbit is PJ's golden chance to mention their side of things so their role in the whole six-movie tale is clearer for the audience, right?

Thanks all! It felt good! Can't wait for DoS!

Subject User Time
How can AUJ:EE NOT acknowledge the eagles in some way?? Shadow&Flame Send a private message to Shadow&Flame Oct 22 2013, 3:22pm
    Apparantly, Skaan Send a private message to Skaan Oct 22 2013, 3:27pm
        Prediction: It'll be a joke gliido Send a private message to gliido Oct 22 2013, 4:07pm
        i really don't see the big deal in why we need a explanation... MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Oct 23 2013, 2:14am
    As Skaan says, it will apparently be mentioned in DoS... Eleniel Send a private message to Eleniel Oct 22 2013, 3:38pm
        i love Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 22 2013, 3:48pm
    I can't deny... Aragorn the Elfstone Send a private message to Aragorn the Elfstone Oct 22 2013, 3:46pm
    Gawd. Eagles now… Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 22 2013, 3:56pm
    I hope... Arannir Send a private message to Arannir Oct 22 2013, 4:14pm
        Spoiler... Fleuz Send a private message to Fleuz Oct 22 2013, 4:18pm
            i read that interview, the short scene was cut from AUJ MouthofSauron Send a private message to MouthofSauron Oct 23 2013, 2:17am
    I'm sure there will be plenty of explanation in the EE, but not on screen Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Oct 22 2013, 8:09pm
        Eagle species Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 22 2013, 10:23pm
            Thanks for the info. Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Oct 23 2013, 10:01pm
    The problem to me was... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Oct 23 2013, 4:07am
        in my opinion Cirashala Send a private message to Cirashala Oct 23 2013, 4:10am
            Indeed Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 23 2013, 11:16am
                Bilbo has never been outside the Shire before this... jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Oct 23 2013, 12:04pm
                    No, I didn't find this particularly odd Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 23 2013, 12:17pm
                        Why a 10 second acknowledgment of eagles in AUJ would've been a great decision Shadow&Flame Send a private message to Shadow&Flame Oct 23 2013, 2:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.