Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
That Scene That Gives You Goosbumps!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 21 2013, 9:39pm

Post #26 of 53 (474 views)
Shortcut
Welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, man, I’ve got so many! From FotR; the “I’m going to mordor alone, sam” “of course you are, and I’m comming with you!” From RotK; (it’s already been said, but) Pippin singing.

Lala

Oct 22 2013, 12:00am

Post #27 of 53 (466 views)
Shortcut
All of the above, and [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman sitting alone seemingly hugging himself before the orcs came and asked him about the order from Mordor. It puzzled me a lot when I first saw it. Was Saruman afraid of what he was going to do? Did he, like Gollum, have a debate with himself and what we saw was the last moment of the "good" Saruman?

When Frodo was holding the cliff with one hand above lava, there was one split second - I have goosebumps even as I write this -when Frodo look up at Sam, and I thought, HE IS GOING TO LET GO! NOOOOO FRODO NOOOOO! The point is, I read the book, I knew it would not be the end, but every time I see that, I always feel the same scream coming up.

There are many more. I want to watch the movies again!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 6:05am

Post #28 of 53 (462 views)
Shortcut
That is one of my all time favourite moments [In reply to] Can't Post

The music is perfect, and I love the touch of the bell ringing.
And it is framed beautifully. I love the way this small, understated moment manages to say so very much.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 6:13am

Post #29 of 53 (477 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's face, [In reply to] Can't Post

after Gandalf falls. The look on his face gives me goosebumps every time - his look of horror and the simultaneous realisation of what this means for the fellowship, and for him personally as a leader.
I love the shot of him running up the stairs, ducking arrows as he goes.
And of course, as others have mentioned, the terrible grief afterwards.

I think it was mentioned somewhere in the appendices that Peter Jackson told Elijah Wood that he wanted his expression to scare the viewer, at that moment when he turns his head in response to Aragorn calling him. He totally nailed it. And at the end of ROTK, I always recall his terrible expression after Gandalf's fall, and compare it to the rosy-cheeked hobbit who turns his head and nods as he departs. It's one of those lovely bookmarks that has been discussed here before.

I think I need to get those DVD's out again...

RosieBaggins
Rivendell

Oct 22 2013, 12:28pm

Post #30 of 53 (469 views)
Shortcut
The scene when Theoden gives the speech in the Return of the King! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just feel my heart lift when I watch it, then when they start to chant Dead and run into the battle, I still get excited! A very emotional scene.

I am the Voice of Books photo Voiceofbooks.gif
Gutenberg photo gutenberg_blog2.gif Librivox photo PD-librivox.pngBook Liberaion photo Book-liberation.png

Misto
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 12:46pm

Post #31 of 53 (462 views)
Shortcut
I'm the odd one out concerningn the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that was one of the weaker points, actually. Nice mountain ranges with fire added so obviously by computer it made me cringe. Plus the scene goes on and on and on and on and on... I can't help myself, but I always end up thinking "Get over with it already".

Back to the highlights.
My first thought was Grimas -ahem- little talk with Eowyn over Theodred's body, that only made the extended version. It's just the right kind of spooky for me.
Ride of the Rohirim is an obvious choice for me as well.

There are other, really good scenes, but these two are the ones that come to mind right away.

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 12:55pm

Post #32 of 53 (467 views)
Shortcut
I thought the cave troll was a good movie adaptation scene [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic for the counterspell reference that broke the door and the stabbing of the foot - that had always intrigued me - well both always have. I don't think either of those would translate to the screen well, though!

My favorite troll scene part was when the troll peeks around the pillar and then suddenly shows up on the other side ...

Peek a boo .... muahaha

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 12:58pm

Post #33 of 53 (451 views)
Shortcut
I liked both fo those as well! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the mumakil bit was pretty incredible - as it should be. But I especially loved the banter between Legolas and Gimli there.

Escapist
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 1:02pm

Post #34 of 53 (447 views)
Shortcut
I liked what they did with Gandalf vs Saruman. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book it seemed understated. I think that I was more thrilled by the reveal of Saruman to Gandalf in his tower, though!

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 5:24pm

Post #35 of 53 (427 views)
Shortcut
I'm like that when it comes to [In reply to] Can't Post

"You bow to no-one". It doesn't do anything for me.

There are so many iconic moments in these films - if one scene doesn't 'work' for you, there is always another one that will. And I love how many small moments have great significance for people. There are lots of great examples in this thread.

OopsyDaisy
The Shire

Oct 22 2013, 6:34pm

Post #36 of 53 (420 views)
Shortcut
Grief after Gandalf fall [In reply to] Can't Post

I cannot agree more with everyone who mentioned the scenes that follow Gandalfs fall! When Frodo appears to wander away slightly as though totally lost and then turns with a single tear. Simply done but so effective! Can you imagine how lost you would feel!

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 22 2013, 7:51pm

Post #37 of 53 (433 views)
Shortcut
When Theoden says "Reform the line!" [In reply to] Can't Post

And they do.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 8:05pm

Post #38 of 53 (443 views)
Shortcut
Oh, so many scenes give me goosebumps! [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the ones already mentioned- Ride of the Rohirrim, Beacons etc. I know which scene you mean re Gandalf looking pensive and sad in MT and that is another on my list.
Some not mentioned so far- the whole scene between Gandalf and Bilbo after the Party- always fills me with foreboding, Flight to the Ford, the scene at Bree where the Ringwraiths process into the PP, swords drawn, the scene on the bridge in Rivendell between Aragorn & Arwen, the reveal of Dwarrowdelf, the Farewell to Lorien (mostly for the music- especially when Galadriel gives Frodo the Light of Earendil), Gandalf's return, Gandalf's healing of Theoden, Theodred's funeral (marks the nadir and the turn around for Rohan imo), Gandalf leading the charge down that ridiculously steep hill at Helm's Deep, Arwen's vision of Eldarion and Aragorn and many many more!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 10:25pm

Post #39 of 53 (408 views)
Shortcut
I left one out, very quick moment. It [In reply to] Can't Post

occurred to me in the car, listening to the TTT soundtrack: Gandalf revealing himself as White in the Golden Hall, with that swelling score - and Legolas raises his head in awe. Wonderful.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 11:15pm

Post #40 of 53 (399 views)
Shortcut
Merry and Pippin [In reply to] Can't Post

realizing that Frodo is leaving the Fellowship and diverting the Uruks. (shiver)

Maybe they thought they'd get away. I don't think they did. And they stood up and yelled anyway. Pure guts, and pure love.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Bellerock
Rivendell

Oct 23 2013, 1:10am

Post #41 of 53 (413 views)
Shortcut
The Ents [In reply to] Can't Post

I have always loved the Ents. In the scene where Merry is exhorting them to act, "You're part of this world", the faces of the various Ents are so very other-worldly. They seem very wise and old, but strangely detached from the cares of these strange, scurrying little hobbits. And when the music starts to play as the Ents start marching out of the woods and heading to war I get goosebumps every time. Last march of the Ents!

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 23 2013, 7:29pm

Post #42 of 53 (396 views)
Shortcut
Nostalgia-inducing question! [In reply to] Can't Post

In order:

1. "You... Shall not... Pass!"
It's impossible not to get goosebumps every time Gandalf faces this foe. However much the scene has been used for comedy on the internet, it will always carry a sense of tragedy and dread whenever I watch it.

2. "You're late!"
Why? Because knowing exactly what's coming later on the movie for oh so jolly Frodo skipping through the woods haunts me to no end whenever I watch the opening scenes of FOTR EE. The utter misery that will befall the story taints the rosy illustration of the Shire that we get here. Everythings just so peaceful and joyous.

3. "Death!"
Chosen by nearly everyone for the same reasons. You really can't help but feel for these people who know they are going to die in a matter of hours (or seconds). Especially Theoden.

4. "White shores and beyond. A far green country"
Ian McKellan NAILS it here. From his facial expressions to how he delivers his lines - it's a truly wonderful scene. Can't believe McKellan lost out on at least an Oscar nom for ROTK.

5. "Not all tears are an evil"
The emotional gravity of this scene hits the right notes. I always found that ROTK did a great job with its endings. It's very rare that a movie can still keep upping it's emotional punches after its narrative conclusion (which was at the Black Gate). The entire tone of the scene is just so... peaceful. There's a sense of finality that's so powerful here.

Honorable mentions:

6. Sam's monologue in TTT.

7. "If I can't carry it for you, I can carry you!"

8. Every single battle......

9. Boromir's death

RangerLady23
Lorien

Oct 23 2013, 9:54pm

Post #43 of 53 (401 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow [In reply to] Can't Post

There are a lot of them but a few would be:

1. When Pippin sings
2. When Aragorn says about Boromir, "They will look for his coming from the White Tower but he will not return."
3.Elessar's coronation
4.The Grey Havens
5.Sam in the boat at Amon Hen-: A promise Mr. Frodo. Don't you leave him, Samwise Gamgee. And I don't mean to."
6. The Ride of the Rohirrim. Love the music and the scene on this one.

Thranderz
Rohan

Oct 27 2013, 10:18am

Post #44 of 53 (366 views)
Shortcut
I have quite a few! [In reply to] Can't Post

Great thread by the way and welcome! Smile

Mine would be:
Theoden and Aragorn's ride out of Helm's Deep
Boromir's speech
The ride of the Rohirrim
Gandalf riding out of Minas Tirith to scare away the Nazgul! Wink

I simply walked into Mordor.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 28 2013, 12:14am

Post #45 of 53 (355 views)
Shortcut
Oh... so many! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as Gandalf rides out from Minas Tirith, raises his staff and the Nazgul scatter... then... THEN... following behind Shadowfax as he turns and heads for the gate.

Frodo and Sam talking on the rocks above the lava flow ... the music kills me!

Frodo standing on the edge holding the Ring over the lava in Sammath Naur... why this guy didn't get an Oscar still baffles me.

Sam... "If I take one more step..."

The Beacons. OMG.

Shadowfax as Gandalf rides him up the stairs at Minas Tirith to look out on the gathering enemy army.

Frodo and Bilbo turning their faces away to hide from the SBs.

Strider's first appearance at The Prancing Pony as Frodo glances over at him.

Oh geez... There's just too much. Too many wonderful moments! GREAT QUESTION!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Nirak1980

Oct 28 2013, 3:07pm

Post #46 of 53 (318 views)
Shortcut
For Frodo [In reply to] Can't Post

My goosebump moments:

Gandalf arriving in Hobbiton
Gollum screaming in the torture chamber
The ringwraith: "Give up the halfling she-elf"
Lurtz licking the bloody knife
The balrog scene in the beginning of Two towers
Aragorn: "For Frodo"
Rohirrim arriving at Pelennor fields, Theoden speech.

Nirak1980

Oct 28 2013, 3:15pm

Post #47 of 53 (316 views)
Shortcut
Marching Ents [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have always loved the Ents. In the scene where Merry is exhorting them to act, "You're part of this world", the faces of the various Ents are so very other-worldly. They seem very wise and old, but strangely detached from the cares of these strange, scurrying little hobbits. And when the music starts to play as the Ents start marching out of the woods and heading to war I get goosebumps every time. Last march of the Ents!

Yes! I agree, the music when they start marching is superb :-D

Wayward
The Shire

Oct 29 2013, 4:13am

Post #48 of 53 (335 views)
Shortcut
This may sound a tad bit ridiculous... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I get goosebumps every time I simply pop in my DVD (I know, I'm so old-fashioned) and of course when the intro to the Fellowship of the Ring starts. I instantly remember how I felt seeing this film as a child, frozen in awe. Just hearing the menu music is enough to make me spazz out. Maybe I'm kind of a freak. Laugh

cats16
Valinor

Oct 29 2013, 6:03am

Post #49 of 53 (307 views)
Shortcut
Right there with you... [In reply to] Can't Post

That happens to me every time I watch them, too. I can feel that I'm being taken into the world I've grown to love and cherish, whether it be the books or films. And that's one heck of a feeling.

If you're a freak, than I am, too. Welcome to the freak-dom. Tongue

lightofaman

Oct 29 2013, 6:17pm

Post #50 of 53 (290 views)
Shortcut
Sooo many! [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR:
Weathertop
Bridge of Khazad-dum
Boromir getting Struck by arrows

TTT:
Forth Eorlingas
Gandalf's arrival with the Rohirrim
Last March of the Ents (Gets me every time, the music especially!)
"There's some good left in this world, and its worth fighting for..)

ROTK:
Voice of Saruman
Arwen's Vision
Arriving at Minas Tirith
Minas Morgul lightning flare
Gandalf riding to the wall; "Send these foul beasts into the abyss!"
Nazgul Swooping on Minas Tirith
Ride of the Rohirrim
Frodo seeing Galadriel in Shelob's Lair
Legolas vs Mumakil
I can carry you
Fall of Barad-dur and the reactions of the fellowship especially as MT Doom erupts
"I can see the shire!"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.