Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All the Love for Bolg

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 12:41am

Post #1 of 17 (1121 views)
Shortcut
All the Love for Bolg Can't Post

Where does it come from? He is a very minor character In The Hobbit, yet we have thread after thread with real angst about who plays him and whether he is going to be CGI or prosthetics and if the actor playing him is going to be replaced and on and on. I am curious as to why there is such concern about this particular character.

Retro315
Rivendell

Oct 21 2013, 12:44am

Post #2 of 17 (577 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lord of the Rings had some standout Orc villains who had pretty much one line (or none) about them in the books; in general it's just sort of a "Face" among the hordes of faceless villains for us to assign our hatred to, and for us to want the heroes to defeat.

(And knowing what Bolg does at the end, and then how that's repaid? You'd hope the guy will have presence, and a striking costume. I mean he's like Triple-Lurtz and Gothmog combined.)

StarGodziller
Bree

Oct 21 2013, 12:45am

Post #3 of 17 (582 views)
Shortcut
Because he looks freakin' awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why. Seriously one of my favorite orc designs in all the PJ Middle Earth films. If PJ makes him CGI and changes his design, I will, to paraphrase South Park, "be a sad panda".

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 21 2013, 1:01am

Post #4 of 17 (548 views)
Shortcut
I don't have any particular "love" for the character Bolg... [In reply to] Can't Post

...however, I love the design, and would be very disappointed if he was changed to an all CGI character. In general, I did not like the look of the CGI Orcs in AUJ. The few that were not CGI, like Yazneg and Fimbul, looked much better IMO. The CGI Orcs, incuding Azog, looked too cartoonish for my taste.

Also, I want Conan Stevens to stay on as Bolg, because he sacrificed his role in Game of Thrones to come work on The Hobbit, and so I would be very disappointed if he was dropped because of a redesign. Fortunately, that rumor seems to have been squashed.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Oct 21 2013, 1:11am

Post #5 of 17 (503 views)
Shortcut
Pretty much what the others have said [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there maybe isn't all that much to him in the book, but this is the movie adaptation. One thing I can give Jackson credit for is his portrayal of the villains. He's great at giving personality and presence to villains that were named once or didn't even exist in the books. It's knowing how awesome Lurtz, Gothmog and the Witch-king were that is the reason I have high hopes for Bolg. And like others have said, the design is spectacular, and the design alone tells of the potential there is in the character if Jackson wants to put some effort into him. He could end up one of the most memorable villains of the trilogy if he's done well.

demnation
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 2:26am

Post #6 of 17 (419 views)
Shortcut
Probably because he looks cool [In reply to] Can't Post

And at least he actually is a character in the book, as opposed to Azog.

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 3:19am

Post #7 of 17 (419 views)
Shortcut
I think part of it has more to do with principle and logistics than with love of Bolg per se. [In reply to] Can't Post

It can be jarring and even offensive to see a director take cannon and, seemingly arbitrarily and at least without understandable necessity, start toying with it. To ressurect a dead character like Azog and give him high prominence, and then to chuck the cannonical and highly plot significant (like Bard, Bolg doesn't have a lot of lines but he actions are key point in the story) out on his behind (possibly) is bound to offend people in certain circles.

In Reply To
Where does it come from? He is a very minor character In The Hobbit, yet we have thread after thread with real angst about who plays him and whether he is going to be CGI or prosthetics and if the actor playing him is going to be replaced and on and on. I am curious as to why there is such concern about this particular character.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 21 2013, 3:20am

Post #8 of 17 (416 views)
Shortcut
He looks cool and.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be nice to see a character alive at the time (bad guy wise) to be used in the movie.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 7:46am

Post #9 of 17 (315 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that - you made me smile [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking the same. All this handwringing over a minor character no one has even seen yet...

At least now it seems he's in, so another flap can be gently laid to rest! Wink

Noria
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 12:17pm

Post #10 of 17 (253 views)
Shortcut
I don't get it either. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I don't have to. I suspect that a lot of the fascination to do with badassery, armour and weapons which are of interest to some but not to me.

I have little interest in Orcs. For me they are just villains, obstacles our heroes have to overcome and I don't particularly care what they look like or what they are named. I had no problem with the Goblins and Orcs of AUJ, who at least didn't look so much like guys in rubber suits.

But then I never cared a jot that Glorfindel, an extremely minor character in LotR, was excluded.Evil

Seriously, I'm truly glad that looks like those of you who do care will be getting what you want with Bolg.

elanor_thefair
Bree

Oct 21 2013, 12:36pm

Post #11 of 17 (247 views)
Shortcut
I think he looks awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just like an old school orc should be. Pretty much unlike his father. Tongue

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 21 2013, 4:55pm

Post #12 of 17 (189 views)
Shortcut
Maybe as a respite from all the freakin' Elves? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy to hear about something besides *&^% Tauriel and $%^& Legolas and @#$%^ Thranduil.

I'm a little concerned over how they'll fit Bolg into the story since Azog was unnecessarily inserted into the plot.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 10:30pm

Post #13 of 17 (122 views)
Shortcut
*Hears the Glorfindel flap* [In reply to] Can't Post

*comes over and slaps Noria with removed glove, throws glove on ground* Challange! lol

In Reply To
But I don't have to. I suspect that a lot of the fascination to do with badassery, armour and weapons which are of interest to some but not to me.

I have little interest in Orcs. For me they are just villains, obstacles our heroes have to overcome and I don't particularly care what they look like or what they are named. I had no problem with the Goblins and Orcs of AUJ, who at least didn't look so much like guys in rubber suits.

But then I never cared a jot that Glorfindel, an extremely minor character in LotR, was excluded.Evil

Seriously, I'm truly glad that looks like those of you who do care will be getting what you want with Bolg.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 12:00am

Post #14 of 17 (92 views)
Shortcut
Because the character's look, and Conan Stevens playing him, means much awesomeness! [In reply to] Can't Post

We need a real fearsome, intimidating enemy, and Bolg could well be that.

Lio
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 1:34am

Post #15 of 17 (84 views)
Shortcut
Because he's, like, a total hunk! <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Forget Thranduil, Bard, Legolas, and hot Dwarves! All the fangirls are in for a real treat once December rolls around! Heart

:: shot ::

Okay, sorry about that. I'll get serious now.

Even though Bolg is only briefly mentioned in the book, I'm looking forward to seeing him in the movie. Remember, he does have an important role to play in the story!

Plus it's not surprising that all the recent rumours have got people talking.

Why haven't we seen any more of Bolg since the original promotional material was released over a year ago?

Has Bolg's design been changed?

Has Bolg's planned role in the movies been altered?

Is Bolg even going to be in the next movie?

Has Bolg been replaced by Azog?

See what I mean? The suspense is killing me! Aaaah! AAAAH!

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Noria
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 12:48pm

Post #16 of 17 (59 views)
Shortcut
ROTFL Ainur [In reply to] Can't Post

However awesome and important Glorfindel was in the Elder Days, in the FotR he's a minor character, though still awesome. In movie terms he's a nonentity, IMO.

Orcs and Goblins, yawn. They don't do anything much for me but I recognize that they matter to others. We all focus on different things in the books and movies.

I greatly respect your Tolkien knowledge and scholarship but we look at the movies differently. For me they are somewhat different versions of Tolkien's books and what works in the books may not work in the movies. So I expect, and even enjoy some changes to canon.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 10:58pm

Post #17 of 17 (36 views)
Shortcut
*Rolls eyes, but puts glove away.* [In reply to] Can't Post

Your humour has averted the near mandatory thrashing, Noria. lol

One of my big problems with Glorfindel is that, while he is certainly a secondary character in the novels, he A) Is also certainly as major as Haldir and a damn sight more significant than Lindir, and B) He is a very significant figure in the history of The Third Age and in Middle Earth Lore, as a friend and follower of sorts of Gandalf, as a figure who drives off Nazgul and The Witch-King, and as a prophet, and as a military leader who directs the forces of Rivendell to the aid of men in the battles against Angmar. It just bothers me that they couldn't have made as much of a place for him as they are currently making for Lindir, for example, or as was made for Gamling, Farmer Maggot and old Otto Proudfoot. Granted he is very technically in the films in the Minas Tirith scene, and I take the position that he is also in the council scene, just played by a different actor (lol). Still Frown Mad

It isn't just the leaving out though, it is the seemingly arbitrary nature of it, and the inclusion of other characters who are no more relevant and in many cases less so. Unlike Bombadil and the barrowight side story, working in Glorfindel would have been as easy as anything to do without detracting from the film in anyway. Hell, he could have accompanied Arwen and stayed with Aragorn and the Hobbits as a safeguard against the Nazgul coming back to take prisoners once Frodo crossed the Bruinenen (they wouldn't have known afore hand that the Nazgul would ALL enter the river and be swept away), since it seems like madness that Elrond's only daughter would be sent alone to confront the Nine. Anyway, there are lots of ways it could have been well managed, but no point in discussng them all now.

Bolg being ousted in favour of Azog, if that happens, is another example of a very arbitrary, superficially motivated decision. There was no need to do it. And like poor old Gaffer, "I can't abide changes for the worse," lol

In Reply To
However awesome and important Glorfindel was in the Elder Days, in the FotR he's a minor character, though still awesome. In movie terms he's a nonentity, IMO.

Orcs and Goblins, yawn. They don't do anything much for me but I recognize that they matter to others. We all focus on different things in the books and movies.

I greatly respect your Tolkien knowledge and scholarship but we look at the movies differently. For me they are somewhat different versions of Tolkien's books and what works in the books may not work in the movies. So I expect, and even enjoy some changes to canon.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.