Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Just got really emotional listening to the ROTK score.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 3:38am

Post #1 of 11 (489 views)
Shortcut
Just got really emotional listening to the ROTK score. Can't Post

I haven't watched the trilogy for a few months, so I guess that some of this seems 'fresher' than it might normally feel. But...gosh. It's one of those times when it all sounds new, and that I'm hearing it for the first time. It's hard to put to words. (It's not even the Complete Recordings. Just some of the major tracks through a Youtube link.)

It's incredible how this music moves me--and I know many of you, too.

Not the most engaging discussion I've created here, I know. Although I'm sure one or two here will understand me on this one. WinkSmileHeart

Ok, I hope that listening to this gets me through all of the stuff I've got to finish tonight. Back to RL!

Edit: Oh gosh, the Grey Havens is coming up...I'm going to be a wreck here in about 5 minutes. Crazy

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 22 2013, 3:39am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 22 2013, 4:08am

Post #2 of 11 (330 views)
Shortcut
not sure how much you've read around my site [In reply to] Can't Post

Some things that might interest you:

Inside A Song : some thoughts on Howard's music for LOTR

Endings : nearing the end of my ROTK OST cue by cue work sparked some feelings

Endings part 2 : reaching the end of the OST work prompted a coda of thoughts

Into the West : the end of the trilogy

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 4:20am

Post #3 of 11 (311 views)
Shortcut
Wow, I need to go to your site much more often. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've checked out a couple of things before (haven't done more, because if I started, it would be very difficult to stop), but now I'm making sure of it.

*bookmarks site*

Your thoughts on 'endings' got me thinking. TABA popped into my head, strangely enough. LOTR had been in my head all night, but then comes in the finale of the other trilogy. I think those emotions will really set in for me after seeing DOS, knowing that there is only one movie left. For sure, this time around.

HS's work will go down as one of the greatest in our era. In fact, I think that isn't an unpopular opinion (even outside of Tolkien circles). I know many people who love to listen to the LOTR soundtrack, despite only seeing the movies a few times. That is the beauty of music.

Can't wait to check out the rest of your site. I can tell that it will take me quite some time to make my way through the trilogy. Wink

Ettelewen
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 11:15pm

Post #4 of 11 (271 views)
Shortcut
I understand. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched The Fellowship for the first time in a long time over the weekend, and started on The Two Towers, and ever since then I've had the soundtrack running through my head. Not any particular track, just each in it's proper sequence. It's glorious!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 11:37pm

Post #5 of 11 (260 views)
Shortcut
Enjoy the rest of the trilogy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to watch them all soon, myself. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 23 2013, 12:07am

Post #6 of 11 (279 views)
Shortcut
I was watching a video taken at one of the Live concerts [In reply to] Can't Post

It was music from the Mount Doom scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb8erw2GTow

I wrote this at Doug's blog:

Is that Kaitlyn singing the solo? (I would presume so but can't be sure without tracking down the info for that concert) I tell you... when she started singing it was so exquisitely beautiful that I had one of those laugh and cry at the same time moments ... with my hand to my mouth (why do we do that?) as I listened. I love Renee Fleming's voice but Kaitlyn's is just as lovely in a new fresh way (for those of us who haven't attended lots of concerts). As the clip ended, I found myself letting out the breath I'd been holding.

Music just doesn't get any better than this. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 23 2013, 1:04am

Post #7 of 11 (261 views)
Shortcut
From that clip... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can easily tell that that was a great performance. Just over two months since I was at Ravinia for TTT. Ah, the memories. Smile

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2013, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 11 (227 views)
Shortcut
Going through the exact same thing right now... [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie linked to her site in another thread, and looking at all the info & pics of the different editions of the soundtracks pulled me into listening to the original CDs and I got incredibly overwhelmed by a wave of nostalgia. I got pretty emotional listening to stuff like "Hope and Memory" from Rotk and "Evenstar" from TTT. Listening to the scores, especially those original albums, puts me right back into the mindset of that teenager who was anticipating these movies all those years back. Smile

Howard's music is unlike anything else. I really don't know how the man does it. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Oct 27 2013, 8:59pm

Post #9 of 11 (218 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE Kaitlyn's voice... [In reply to] Can't Post

When I went to Radio City Music Hall and heard her sing "May It Be", as well as other solo pieces, for the FotR live projection, it left me in tears. She's phenomenal. Heart I was so happy when the LotR Symphony CD was released, so that we could get a performance of the scores with her singing on it (also fantastic to have the performance by the 21st Century Orchestra & Chorus).

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 27 2013, 9:05pm

Post #10 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
For sure... [In reply to] Can't Post

He is incredible. It's neat how, for me, different tracks have slightly different meanings and emotional reactions each time. The same feeling, but just a tad different--it feels new each time. Which is good. Smile

I'm glad we've still got another year before it's all over.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 28 2013, 2:44am

Post #11 of 11 (231 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean! [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt the same way the other day. I was listening to my iTunes while messing around on my computer. I usually have it on random play, so when an LOTR track comes up, I usually skip it feeling that I prefer to listen to the soundtracks as a whole. This time I was involved in something and didn't hit skip immediately. By the time I got around to it, I was too absorbed in The Breaking of the Fellowship to switch. It had been quite a while since I had listened to any of the LOTR music, and I was so entranced and moved that I got all teared up. I was right there, watching the breaking of the Fellowship, feeling just as I did the first time in the theater. It was sad but magical at the same time.

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.