Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
it's the little girl (Walking Dead spoilers inside)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 2:16am

Post #1 of 32 (201 views)
Shortcut
it's the little girl (Walking Dead spoilers inside) Can't Post

on the walking dead... i think it's the older of the two sisters (whose dad carol dispatched tonight) who has been feeding the walkers.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 21 2013, 4:27am)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2013, 2:17am

Post #2 of 32 (164 views)
Shortcut
um.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know I'd be getting a spoiler by clicking on this thread.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 2:19am

Post #3 of 32 (166 views)
Shortcut
you're not [In reply to] Can't Post

i don't work for the show, and i don't know anything about what will unfold. it's only my theorizing.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 21 2013, 3:56am

Post #4 of 32 (145 views)
Shortcut
but, you're theorizing on stuff that people who watch on DVD haven't been exposed to yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it just makes sense to add "Theories on current season of Walking Dead" or something to the thread title and let people choose whether to click or not.

I avoid all discussions on shows I haven't seen yet that I will see in the future. But it's hard to choose when I have no warning what the discussion is about.

just saying.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 21 2013, 4:29am

Post #5 of 32 (141 views)
Shortcut
I added a spoiler tag [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like a fair point, especially when the name of the series isn't the title of the post. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 21 2013, 4:43am

Post #6 of 32 (135 views)
Shortcut
The ' after-show ' [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't watch " The Walking Dead " , but can someone please tell me just WHO the hysterical people are that come on and discuss the show afterwards ? Laugh

They are funny as anything and it's a hoot to listen to ! I don't watch the show , but my daughter has it set to auto-tune and DVR's it to watch again. I'm usually sitting at the computer working , but I hear this show and find myself cracking up !!

Is it writers ? Guests ? The homage they pay to all the zombies killed in an episode is priceless !

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 5:29am

Post #7 of 32 (135 views)
Shortcut
thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, altaira.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 5:53am

Post #8 of 32 (136 views)
Shortcut
absolutely understand what you're saying [In reply to] Can't Post

absolutely understand what you're saying, magpie.

to explore the issue further, beyond the walking dead.... how much time is appropriate for any thread / post on any book / movie / tv show to no longer include a "spoilers" tag? (especially when what is being discussed is not a spoiler, but speculation.)

for example, if i haven't watched a show / seen a film that's been out over a year, i figure it's fair game for anyone who wishes to post about it not to include a "spoilers" tag. with the parameters so broadly defined (in your original reference to the walking dead), that would mean that any time anyone wished to post about any film / tv show / book, the tag "spoilers" would need to be used.

where's the cutoff? should we include a "spoilers" tag on a thread discussing "jane eyre" (written in the 1800s)? what about "to kill a mockingbird" (written in the 1900s)? what about the harry potter books? although all of these have been read by many through the years, there is a sizeable demographic which has not read them.

on the hobbit board, i don't see auj-related posts prefaced with the "spoiler" tag, even though that film is less than a year old. if, on the offtopic board, someone would wish to discuss "bridesmaids" (2011), "x-men: first class" (2011), or "a cabin in the woods" (2012), is it bad form not to include a spoiler tag? those films are over a year old.

it gets more burdensome with television shows, because a film is about 2-3 hours long, whereas a season can be 22 hours of viewing. it could be a long wait until someone who isn't current with a series catches up with those who follow it.

i think it's not entirely reasonable to expect a spoiler tag for something that's been out over a year (although i absolutely understand the practical application). you may have different thoughts, or a different milestone cutoff.

again, i appreciate the dilemma you're trying to manage, and it's one many people must navigate (including myself sometimes, so i'm sympathetic). it's just that i think if something has been out over a year, it's not reasonable to expect that posts related to it be tagged with "spoiler," because it's been out for so long.

i'm certainly sorry if your enjoyment of the walking dead will be diminished in any way by what i posted, but i also think the way it was (originally) posted was reasonable.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 21 2013, 11:38pm

Post #9 of 32 (107 views)
Shortcut
Talking Dead [In reply to] Can't Post

One guest is always a show person -- production staff,director, actor, writer etc...Last night was Greg Nicotero (spelling uncertain) who does a lot of the visual effects for zombies and directs. Last week was this season's executive producer (show runner) who dropped hints about the story arcs...

The other guests are superfans from the entertainment world.... Nathan Fillion was on last week and while I don't know who the two were last night it was obvious they were well versed in the ZA universe.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Rivendweller
Lorien

Oct 22 2013, 1:34am

Post #10 of 32 (109 views)
Shortcut
Thank you ! [In reply to] Can't Post

They are certainly entertaining ! Cool

There's something of everything here, The Shire and the Golden Wood and Gondor and kings' houses and inns and meadows and mountains all mixed.

....and there are Elves when you want them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Formerly A'amel from days gone by.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 22 2013, 1:52am

Post #11 of 32 (124 views)
Shortcut
My biggest issue was... [In reply to] Can't Post

there was no indication in the subject line of your thread that you were going to talk about Walking Dead. If there had been, I would never have clicked on it. spoiler warning or not.

If you're talking about a show that is currently airing, I think the subject line should at least contain the name of the show. No surprises.

Speculation needs something to work off of.

If someone is speculating on what is going on, then what is going on is a spoiler for people who haven't watched that episode or season yet. So now I'm spoiled as to what is going on... even if the 'solution' is not yet revealed.

If someone is talking about a movie or show that is currently running, and I'm waiting for the DVD, I assume spoilers and just avoid the thread. I don't need to be told there are spoilers. I don't open up threads about Doctor Who, Game of Thrones, or Walking Dead. I know.. while the season is active... that people are going to be talking about the show and I will avoid all discussion to avoid any spoilers.

But if I don't know the thread will be talking about that tv show or movie until I've already opened up the post, I can't avoid it.

For my part, in the weekly tv/movie thread, if I'm going to talk about any significant plot point for any movie or tv show, I warn people. In that thread, I get LOTS of suggestions for movies and tv shows that I haven't watch yet and I think others do, too. I might recommend Whale Rider to people who haven't seen it although it's been out at least 10 years now. If I'm going to discuss some significant plot point for WR, I will give a spoiler warning.

I don't demand that others do the same with older movies and tv shows, but I'd warrant close to half the people who post here don't watch movies and/or tv shows till they come out on DVD which, for most tv shows, is a year later. So expect there are people who will be spoiled if you spring something on them.

Again.. just give a heads up in the thread title and I suspect 75% of the issue will be taken care of.

i also think the way it was (originally) posted was reasonable.

I hope I've explained why I don't agree. It would have been most respectful of those who wait for the DVD to indicate you were going to discuss Walking Dead so we could choose whether to click or not. Not giving us any indication (and your subject line was extremely vague - I didn't have any idea what it was about) takes the choice away from us.

and... since I want you all to discuss to your heart's content here!... I won't be checking into this thread any more. If we need more discussion on spoiler warnings, it could probably go on Feedback. But I suspect we've sorted it out adequately. I'm good.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 22 2013, 1:56am)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 2:54am

Post #12 of 32 (95 views)
Shortcut
agreed that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... putting the title of the film / series in the subject line takes care of the bulk of the issue. that's something that is my usual/frequent pattern, but on this occasion, i was revved up by my speculation theory, and just posted. things like that happen.

but since you've stated that you're not going to check this thread anymore (and i absolutely understand why), you're likely not going to see this post. but it's here if you care to "peek at it through your fingers."

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 9:59pm

Post #13 of 32 (85 views)
Shortcut
The Fence Feeder (just a theory) [In reply to] Can't Post

Potentially the older girl is the one that comes to mind isn't she? Which is why I wonder if that's why it WON'T be her...but with her attachment (I like the "Stockholm Syndrome" theory proposed on Talking Dead) to walkers, maybe that's the only possibility. Her issue seemed resolved with her father's death and that interaction with Carol, so unless it was a short-term device to show the weakness of the fenceline and to set up the choices that Rick had to make, I would think it could be someone else still. (This could certainly be its entire rationale for happening in the story context.)

I don't see it as The Governor. I think he would be compelled to do much worse if he was within the prison walls...but I suppose we can't rule out him or his two lieutenants. They certainly have a grudge. And if it continues as more of a long-term sabotage it changes the motivation and makes it less likely to be the girl.

Definitely an interesting question.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 12:17am

Post #14 of 32 (69 views)
Shortcut
It was Richard Armitage. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a zombie-lover and on their side, and he was feeding them the rats. It will be up to Kate Winslet, in a guest star role, to blow him away with a shotgun to save the good people from his twisted plots. That guy is trouble. Avoid him. And his eyes. Stare at him long enough, and you'll become a zombie too. Just givin' a fair, unbiased warning.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 12:25am

Post #15 of 32 (62 views)
Shortcut
Novel explanation for the Armitage Army? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He's a zombie-lover and on their side, and he was feeding them the rats. It will be up to Kate Winslet, in a guest star role, to blow him away with a shotgun to save the good people from his twisted plots. That guy is trouble. Avoid him. And his eyes. Stare at him long enough, and you'll become a zombie too. Just givin' a fair, unbiased warning.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 12:49am

Post #16 of 32 (53 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and it would explain all the moaning that army does too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 1:58am

Post #17 of 32 (51 views)
Shortcut
wow, just saw this [In reply to] Can't Post

this is an incredibly brilliant theory. but, to be fair, kate is a zombie-maker as well.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 1:59am

Post #18 of 32 (51 views)
Shortcut
you are on +fire+ [In reply to] Can't Post

you are on +fire+ tonight, cg. and not in a balrog way.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 2:04am

Post #19 of 32 (49 views)
Shortcut
SPECULATION SPOILER -- body burner / killer [In reply to] Can't Post

... i was thinking.... carol. the new carol. the carol who teaches children knife skills. the carol who told merle she's not afraid of anything any more. the carol who was grilling up pieces of the governor and his henchmen to the prison community.

that carol.

fun alternates: karl. herschel. not that i believe it will be either of them. it's just fun to think of them that way.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 2:14am

Post #20 of 32 (45 views)
Shortcut
spoiler [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, it's gotta be Carol, I think. Or someone we don't know yet, which is possible. But if Carol killed them before they were a threat, they might have to kill her as a community threat, which would take her off the show, and I'm just starting to find her interesting.

One HUGE SIGN we must consider is that VERY AWKWARD handshake that Patrick gave Darryl. I like the show, but that was just plain weird the way they made a big deal out of it, and it screamed, "pay attention, Audience, because this is a clue for later." So he infected Darryl, and Darryl will get sick, and Carol will have the dilemma of killing him, and fans will want to kill her, and oh, it just turns into more and more death. I need to go watch some sissy Jane Austen movie and get my head out of the gore for awhile, methinks.

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 2:21am

Post #21 of 32 (47 views)
Shortcut
mr. rochester beckons [In reply to] Can't Post

mr. rochester beckons you, cg. please help him. he needs a fire extinguisher brought to his bedroom at once.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Kim
Valinor

Oct 24 2013, 2:27am

Post #22 of 32 (47 views)
Shortcut
Wait, is that why I'm feeling a bit peckish for brains? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Can't...avoid...those...eyes Evil

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 2:01pm

Post #23 of 32 (36 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. Carol. (body burner theories) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... i was thinking.... carol. the new carol. the carol who teaches children knife skills. the carol who told merle she's not afraid of anything any more. the carol who was grilling up pieces of the governor and his henchmen to the prison community.

that carol.

fun alternates: karl. herschel. not that i believe it will be either of them. it's just fun to think of them that way.

I can see her burning them when they dies and turned...not sure if she would kill them just in case. But that COULD be a next step in her character I suppose. Her survival skills have bloomed in the apocalypse (skills learned in the 'sane' world).

Carl - actually was one of my possibilities. Size would be an issue as I'm not sure how well he could drag adults outside.

They may end up dodging the plot bullet by making it someone from Woodbury I suppose, because there will be *very* bad blood between Tyreese and whoever killed them.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 24 2013, 2:04pm

Post #24 of 32 (47 views)
Shortcut
So Kim - does that mean we are our very own Herd? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
Wait, is that why I'm feeling a bit peckish for brains?
Can't...avoid...those...eyes Evil

And of course I ALWAYS value CG's oh-so-very unbiased opinion in regard to Mr. Armitage.

Tongue

LaughLaugh

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 24 2013, 5:32pm

Post #25 of 32 (31 views)
Shortcut
official explanation [In reply to] Can't Post

i had watched the walking dead directly after that particular episode. the finger-licking and handshake were brought up by the guests, but the issue was defused by nicotero (walking dead staff). he said it was a spur of the moment choice by the actor who plays daryl.

but, who knows? if it really was a disease vector scene, and the disease hasn't been fully "revealed" on the show, show staff might not wish to confirm what is a correct theory.

my official stance on the handshake was that it was extremely gross, and a little unkind on daryl's part.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.