Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
These aren't my thoughts I am putting forward but Tolkiens writing.

ElendilTheShort
Rohan

Oct 22 2013, 12:40am

Views: 149
Shortcut
These aren't my thoughts I am putting forward but Tolkiens writing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will dig out the letter tonight and provide a quote. He wasn't talking just about Sauron, but absolute evil as a concept that he did not believe existed.

The main difference between Melkor and Sauron is that Sauron wanted to order everything to his own will. Melkor got to the point here he hated everything as nothing had it's origin in him as a creator, and he wanted to rage on until everything was levelled, and he would have even destroyed the orcs once he had finished using them. All paraphrased from Tolkiens own writing on the matter, this is not my opinion.

Subject User Time
There's more to fantasy than the elves and orcs of Tolkien demnation Send a private message to demnation Oct 20 2013, 10:33am
    Hmmmmmm Bombadil21 Send a private message to Bombadil21 Oct 20 2013, 11:54pm
    Naughty Guardian IdrilofGondolin Send a private message to IdrilofGondolin Oct 21 2013, 12:29am
        I agree with your point on the orcs Kalimac Send a private message to Kalimac Oct 21 2013, 1:08am
    Fair to say that Tolkien's approach to fantasy is neither best nor worst Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Oct 21 2013, 1:07am
        I get what you are saying demnation Send a private message to demnation Oct 21 2013, 2:13am
            Martinīs work also contains idealists elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Oct 25 2013, 8:20pm
    Tolkiens good versus evil is not simple ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Oct 21 2013, 6:57am
        Agreed demnation Send a private message to demnation Oct 21 2013, 7:34am
        Spot on Elendil rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 21 2013, 6:27pm
            Yes the exmples of characters and races you refer to are good. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Oct 21 2013, 10:39pm
                we will have to agree to disagree here rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 21 2013, 10:46pm
                    Evil vs. evil CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 21 2013, 10:53pm
                        Here is the exact quote from the Silmarillion calling Melkor more evil rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 22 2013, 2:32am
                            to me that sounds like Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 22 2013, 3:04am
                                you could take it that way... rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 22 2013, 3:19am
                            I had exactly the same point of view to you with respect to what is evidenced in Tolkien's writing ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Oct 22 2013, 3:17am
                        Melkor was the anarchist and Sauron was the bureaucrat then! Hamfast Gamgee Send a private message to Hamfast Gamgee Oct 22 2013, 11:04pm
                    These aren't my thoughts I am putting forward but Tolkiens writing. ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Oct 22 2013, 12:40am
                        Here is your quote from his letters and how I think we are talking past each other rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 22 2013, 3:01am
                            simul posts ElendilTheShort Send a private message to ElendilTheShort Oct 22 2013, 3:32am
                                The Ring has one redeeming feature, making it not wholly evil. squire Send a private message to squire Oct 22 2013, 4:04am
                                    It is part of Tolkien's mythos Elciryamo Send a private message to Elciryamo Oct 22 2013, 6:08am
                                Since you mentioned it... rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 22 2013, 3:49pm
    Good and Evil in Arda... rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Oct 21 2013, 6:29pm
        Looking forward to it Ranger!// elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 21 2013, 7:43pm
    well elostirion74 Send a private message to elostirion74 Oct 24 2013, 5:03am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.