Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What's the story behind your user name?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 1:22pm

Post #51 of 93 (171 views)
Shortcut
As am I... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
anime otaku jyanai desuga LOTR to gogaku no otaku da to omou

Watashi mo gogaku ga daisuki :) Furansugo to Supeingo to Ratengo to Chuugokugo mo benkyou shite, totemo omoshiroi da to omou kara.

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 1:35pm

Post #52 of 93 (166 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reply! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This is why I love Japanese...you can completely insult someone else or really think highly of yourself just by changing honorifics XD

Watashi wa otaku ja nai kedo, anime ga suki datta koto ga aru.

;)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to respond in turn. My Japanese is pretty rusty and I was never exactly fluent to begin with. I grok almost nothing after "Watashi wa otaku", and my little, red Japanese/English dictionary isn't helping much!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 1:53pm

Post #53 of 93 (163 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It translates to "I'm not an otaku, but I used to love anime." I even used to translate it (and manga), although I'm definitely a bit rusty now.

"I've been running all my lives, through time and space. Every second of every minute of every day for over 900 years, I fought for peace in a universe at war. Now the time has come to face the choices I've made in the name of the Doctor. Our future depends on one single moment of one impossible day. The day I've been running from all my life: The Day of the Doctor."

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 1:57pm

Post #54 of 93 (161 views)
Shortcut
I'm mad enough to want to be a Fëanorian. // [In reply to] Can't Post

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 1:58pm

Post #55 of 93 (165 views)
Shortcut
I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not following most of the current shows, myself. I am looking forward to the eventual DVD/Blu-ray release of the new Captain Harlock movie and the new Space Battleship Yamato 2199 series/films. I'm also very much anticipating the U.S. release of the complete Space Adventure Cobra animated series.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 21 2013, 1:59pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 2:17pm

Post #56 of 93 (162 views)
Shortcut
I basically stopped watching... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with "Full Metal Panic". Or I guess I should say "I stopped reading", since I was always more into the light novels than I was the anime with that.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Oct 21 2013, 2:20pm

Post #57 of 93 (171 views)
Shortcut
It's my real name in Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

according to this website.

Back when I joined on Old TORn, I signed up rather quickly so I could jump right in and feed the frenzy. I used a name I had made up using the dictionary in the Sil. It was "Celebel" and supposed to mean "silver star". But I absolutely hate it when a "c" is supposed to sound "hard' and is written "soft". So I wasn't completely happy with the name. Then somebody linked to the above web site, and I liked that it used the meanings of real names, and translated them into Elvish. It felt more authentic than a random name generator, too. Plus, I was happily surprised at how elegant my name sounded in Elvish. But really, what doesn't sound elegant in Elvish? I imagine you could cuss like crazy and still sound good. Laugh

I threw in the "ë" for grins.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ettelewen
Lorien

Oct 21 2013, 2:41pm

Post #58 of 93 (164 views)
Shortcut
Mine also [In reply to] Can't Post

My given name means "foreign" or "barbarian". Ettelewen is an Elvish translation of "foreign".

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 21 2013, 4:50pm

Post #59 of 93 (161 views)
Shortcut
No fancy story behind mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wanted a female character name out of Tolkien, but not one of the obvious ones, such as Arwen or Eowyn.

So I used a name Frodo gave as he was explaining to Sam why he was leaving Middle-earth and why Sam couldn't follow him yet. "And also you have Rose, and Elanor; and Frodo-lad will come, and Rosie-lass, and Merry, and Goldilocks, and Pippin; and perhaps more that I cannot see."

There was a Frodo-lad on the boards for a little bit, but I haven't seen that name in a while.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 21 2013, 4:50pm

Post #60 of 93 (165 views)
Shortcut
Doh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always picture Tim Conway when I see your name. Laugh

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 6:07pm

Post #61 of 93 (156 views)
Shortcut
Years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in an e-mail discussion with a nephew-in-law about politics and religion. We are miles apart on both, but we both love LotR. So at one point in the discussion I said I was like Dora Baggins, to whom Bilbo gave the wastebasket, and the rest is history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Tintallë
Gondor

Oct 21 2013, 7:03pm

Post #62 of 93 (159 views)
Shortcut
It means "star kindler" and is one of Varda's other names [In reply to] Can't Post

In the First Age of TORn Tolkien names were very popular and Varda and Elentari were already taken, so I took the road less traveled by, so to speak.

I can add that one of my favorite things about wilderness camping is having the privilege of seeing the night sky without light pollution dimming the stars - it's breathtaking and somewhat surreal - so I like the thought of being a star kindler!

I use it for my Bookcrossing releases as well.

Kalimac
Bree

Oct 21 2013, 8:53pm

Post #63 of 93 (136 views)
Shortcut
Hontou ni!? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Watashi mo gogaku ga daisuki :) Furansugo to Supeingo to Ratengo to Chuugokugo mo benkyou shite, totemo omoshiroi da to omou kara.

Okay, wow, I'm super impressedLaugh

bborchar
Rohan

Oct 21 2013, 8:55pm

Post #64 of 93 (137 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha, studied, yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I'm only fluent in Japanese. The rest I have varying levels of fluency in. Latin I just plain suck at, it's been so long since I took it. But I just love linguistics and learned the 'rules' for other languages.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 21 2013, 11:53pm

Post #65 of 93 (128 views)
Shortcut
Is there an obscure Russian battle ship named Sevilodorf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't put it past the Russians.... but actually, I just got tired of not getting the name I wanted so I reversed it.

Later when the writing group on Netscape (where I began my Internet life) started The Burping Troll Inn, we used backspeak as Rohirric until we got talented (or obsessed) enough to actually find Old English translations for what we wanted our Rohirrim characters to say.

My "character" explains her name in our Fourth Age 'verse as something her mother heard in a dream. We used it as a base for a short story about Frodo after the death of his parents. (attached if anyone it interested in reading it)

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Attachments: Where a Baggins Belongs.doc (42.0 KB)

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 21 2013, 11:57pm

Post #66 of 93 (126 views)
Shortcut
I love Tim [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he's a relative

sevilodorf
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 12:00am

Post #67 of 93 (150 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

I read everything that looks weird backwards now. Sean Astin and Elijah were equally impressed at one of the ORC signings.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 2:31am

Post #68 of 93 (118 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Yes :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wave my nerd flag high. Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Oct 22 2013, 3:08am

Post #69 of 93 (128 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

since you asked (and with apologies to those who already know this story):

I wanted something to do with animals, preferably horses. And while contemplating the list of potential horse-names, I realized if I were to be a horse, I clearly had to be the one ridden by Aragorn. "Aragorn sprang upon Roheryn" sounded pretty good to me! Evil And somehow my nick nick (that sounds funny but you know what I mean!), "Ro", suits me. I'm happy to answer to it when hanging out with TORnsibbies!

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 22 2013, 4:18am

Post #70 of 93 (120 views)
Shortcut
I love all the nicks of our nicks [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Kel and my old friend Hob aka Hobbit lover.

I have a few friends in Tolkien who much prefer to use Magpie in real life than my real name. We get quite fond of each other's nicks, don't we?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 22 2013, 7:18am

Post #71 of 93 (113 views)
Shortcut
It took me a while [In reply to] Can't Post

way back in 1999 to pluck up the courage to de-lurk on TORn. When I finally decided to take the plunge and register, I looked around the room for something precious to use as a name, and lighted on my dear old (now much-missed) Kimi-cat.

TORn was my first message board. On other sites I've just used my real name, but when I come here it's nice to see my golden boy's name. It helps that it's unisex, like my real one.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

acheron
Gondor

Oct 22 2013, 1:18pm

Post #72 of 93 (126 views)
Shortcut
my name is not unique to torn [In reply to] Can't Post

I have used it online most places where I need a nickname and don't use my real name. First place I used it was, if I remember right, when I signed up for AOL Instant Messenger in 1998 or '99.

"Acheron" is from Greek mythology (though with a Latin spelling); you can look it up in Wikipedia if you'd like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acheron

As far as Tolkien nicknames, one of my very early email addresses was "faramir". I don't think I used it much though.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 1:59pm

Post #73 of 93 (90 views)
Shortcut
Mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is a possible way to translate Patrick ("noble man") into Sindarin.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 2:09pm

Post #74 of 93 (94 views)
Shortcut
You always remind me of Kimi Räikkönen... // [In reply to] Can't Post

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 22 2013, 5:04pm

Post #75 of 93 (77 views)
Shortcut
I love that! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful story, and a sweet brother!SmileSmile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.