Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien's Names.

toothsayer
The Shire

Oct 21 2013, 6:41am

Post #1 of 5 (320 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's Names. Can't Post

I'm sure this has been posted and spoken of many times before I've posted this, and rest assured I've searched through here a great deal before posting, let that be known - so here's my question: what name did Tolkien go by?

I've read the Humphrey biography to which, if I remember correctly, his family and friends called him Ronald; and I know Lewis called him Tollers. But what did Tolkien go by? Simply Ronald?

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 6:47pm

Post #2 of 5 (184 views)
Shortcut
He signed himself Ronald [In reply to] Can't Post

- in a copy of the India paper LotR which he asked his publishers to send to his cousin Dorothy Wood. And he's mentioned n a book by Lewis's step-son Douglas Gresham, who says that after Lewis's death JRR turned up on the doorstep of the Kilns to pay his respects; and introduced himself thus - 'I'm Ronald Tolkien' he said. Of course, young Douglas knew that already - but Tolkien didn't let just anybody call him Ronald - e.g. it was not till near the end of his life that he wrote to his publisher Rayner Unwin and asked whether they could dispense with 'Professor', and could Rayner call him Ronald?

Bear in mind that the two men had known each other since at least the 1940s.

toothsayer
The Shire

Oct 21 2013, 9:54pm

Post #3 of 5 (149 views)
Shortcut
Is that so? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I've never heard that story - how interesting! I've been an adorer of Tolkien for as long as I can remember... almost literally my entire life thus far, and I've always referred to him, or thought of him, as simply J. R. R. Tolkien, Professor Tolkien, or more commonly for me: Tolkien. So it's very interesting for me to think of him as a Ronald!

(This post was edited by toothsayer on Oct 21 2013, 9:56pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Oct 22 2013, 6:38pm

Post #4 of 5 (111 views)
Shortcut
Like Bombadil or Aragorn, Tolkien had many names :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

- at school he was known as John Ronald; or JR squared; or sometimes just JRRT (pronounced 'jirt', rhymes with 'dirt). Smile

Coincidentally, I was listening to a tape today called 'JRR Tolkien: An Audio Portrait', in which Tolkien's fellow Inkling, Neville Coghill, says 'I once asked Ronald Tolkien how he came to create these imaginary continents, and people them, and he said that he'd based the hobbits on the ordinary soldiers he'd worked with during the war; ordinary blokes like you and me, d'you see?'

Wayward
The Shire

Oct 25 2013, 3:22am

Post #5 of 5 (154 views)
Shortcut
Good ol' Ronald [In reply to] Can't Post

I recall watching a documentary about/footage of Tolkien a while back (I apologize as I can't recall the exact sources) and hearing numerous interviewees refer to him as "Ronald". At the time, this actually caught me somewhat off-guard. I still think of him as a J.R.R. because that's what I'm accustomed to seeing printed on the books in my room. Laugh

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.