Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A decision to make

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 5:39am

Post #1 of 16 (260 views)
Shortcut
A decision to make Can't Post

First off, I just want to apologise for not being active on the forum often any more. My family has been going through a rough time, and we all needed support. But now that everything is getting better, I can post along with all my online buddies again. Smile

After everything I've gone through, something great has finally happened. All the top academic achievers in the tenth grade have received an opportunity to embark to Britain next year. Since I was born in Warwickshire (or Alalminórë) this would be the best chance I'd ever get to see my place of birth, and visit Tolkien's grave. The tour covers Edinburgh, Durham, Stratford, Oxford and London.

It all sounds fantastic, but I have my doubts. I don't know if I'm ready to do it, and if it's really worth doing. The trip is expensive, and I'm afraid that my friends won't be able to cover their own costs. It all sounds very silly, but this is somewhere I've wanted to go back to since I can remember.

"Eala Earendel engla beorhtast
ofer middangeard monnum sended."

"There is nothing so absurd but some philosopher has said it." - Cicero

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 19 2013, 6:59am

Post #2 of 16 (165 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back BoW [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm sorry to hear that you and your family have been through such a bad time. Glad things are settling down. It's so good that despite this, you have still managed to keep up with your school work to be one of the highest achievers. That shows commitment and fortitude imo.
Re travelling to the UK, my advice would be to go for it if your family are able to support you with the costs. Travel is one of the greatest educators imo and can help to develop all sorts of skills and knowledge at any age. Sure, at your age it's pretty daunting to travel far from your own country without your family, but if this is an organised trip with people you know, its a great opportunity. However, as you say, you have to feel ready and it sounds like you have had a lot of emotional upheaval. But... some time out may be just what you need. I find that making a list of pros and cons and also your hopes and fears can help with decision making.
Anyway, enough preaching from me. I'm sure you will come to the right decision for you. Nice to see you back Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 7:30am

Post #3 of 16 (156 views)
Shortcut
Thank you very much, Elaen [In reply to] Can't Post

This is great advice. I appreciate it.

P.S. You're not preaching. It's good to see you again.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 19 2013, 7:56am

Post #4 of 16 (147 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 19 2013, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Go for it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see you back here, BoW! Smile

By all means, take advantage of this travel opportunity. It's definitely worth it, and don't worry about whether you're "ready" for it: you'll have adult guides with you, so you can just soak in the experience. My eldest was in 10th or 11th grade when she went on a similar student trip, and visited England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. She loved it!

(And she loved Edinburgh, and ended up living there for some years and going to school there. You never know where something like this might lead you to!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Oct 19 2013, 2:45pm

Post #6 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
Alot to think over. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will say that this might not be your only chance. The British rail is great and makes alot of England very easy to see. I would imagine Durham and Edinburgh in Scotland are too far, but I daytripped as far as Stratford and Warwick from London with two friends - long daytrips, but pleasant train rides and still within reason. What I would advise, when the time comes for you (if you don't end up taking the trip under discussion), is finding lodgings within your means near Paddington Station, to be near for days when you're going to daytrip outside of London. That will mostly be where you want to start from, except that I think I remember (it's been a while) that you have to go to Charing Cross and transfer there if you want to see Hampton Court. I'm not a local though, and maybe someone who is may want to comment further if I'm wrong or things have since changed.

I'd like to go two more times - one to spend more time in the south and another to see the sights in the north. I didn't get to see the Natural History Museum, British Museum or WW2 bunkers in London, and I'd love to see York and Durham Cathedral eventually, among other places.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 20 2013, 2:54am

Post #7 of 16 (117 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, BoromirofWinterfell [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear about your family's troubles, but it sounds like the worst is behind you and, like you said, you have great opportunity in front of you.

I think this statement of yours is very revealing: "After everything I've gone through, something great has finally happened."

Right off the bat that sounds like something you really want to do and, therefore, should do if at all possible. Of course, everything has its pros and cons, so though it might sound cliche I'd recommend writing them all down to lend a bit of perspective. For example, a con is that you may have to leave some friends behind, but this particular decision is about you and has some very personal objectives for you (i.e., a pro is seeing your place of birth), so keep that in mind. You'll make new friends on the trip and the old friends will still be here when you get back. You might also try ranking the pros and cons by importance with 1 being not important and 10 being very important. If leaving your friends behind is a 10, that may be a game changer.

Another telling statement is this: "I don't know if I'm ready to do it"

What that speaks to me is that you've given it a lot of thought already and if it's something you think you might want to do, you're already ready to do it. Smile It reminds me of a quote from the trailer for the upcoming movie Ender's Game (probably not an exact quote): Ranking officer: "I don't think he's ready" Harrison Ford's character: "You're never ready. You're only ready enough."

p.s. No need to apologize for being away. "Real life" ebbs and flows for all of us. When it calls you away from TORn we all understand (because we've all been there) and when it brings you back, we're all still here and VERY glad to see you. Smile

Good luck with your decision!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 20 2013, 3:11am)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2013, 3:08am

Post #8 of 16 (105 views)
Shortcut
Most people regret the things they didn't do [In reply to] Can't Post

far more than the things they did.

Opportunities don't always return. So carpe the diem.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 20 2013, 7:46am

Post #9 of 16 (86 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll have to start working on a list. Thanks for your support; I think you've pointed out some things that haven't crossed my mind. I've been so busy that I haven't even seen the trailer of Ender's Game - and it's one of my favourite Sci-fi books.

It's nice to hear your wisdom again! Heart

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 20 2013, 8:02am

Post #10 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
Arigato ! [In reply to] Can't Post

So carpe the diem.

If only Latin had articles....*sigh*
I think this is the best wisdom I've read all week. Wink

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 20 2013, 5:09pm

Post #11 of 16 (77 views)
Shortcut
Also, you can buy train/underground passes [In reply to] Can't Post

for the days you KNOW you will be using them and not have to bother with individually purchasing them which can be more expensive. My sister and I did this a couple of years ago and it was very convenient. But you do have to buy them BEFORE you go, you can't get the discount after you get there.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Oct 21 2013, 4:49am

Post #12 of 16 (62 views)
Shortcut
Just seconding (if it's not a word, it should be :P) what others said [In reply to] Can't Post

You are young; you'll most likely have plenty of opportunities to travel in the future, but, as cliche as it may sound, the future is uncertain so it's best to take advantage of those that are in front of you now. You shouldn't push yourself if you really feel that you're not ready, but if what is holding you back is just a case of nerves, please know that that is natural. All of the best experiences I've ever had were preceded by a heavy case of nerves. Laugh

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

RangerLady23
Lorien

Oct 23 2013, 10:02pm

Post #13 of 16 (43 views)
Shortcut
I know how you feel on the bad times [In reply to] Can't Post

Keep your chin up though and enjoy your adventure there and back again. Welcome back to the boards.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 8:04am

Post #14 of 16 (33 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for understanding. [In reply to] Can't Post

You've gone through some bad times yourself, I presume. I still remember your posts. I hope you're feeling better. The support from friends on a forum I've never met is staggering. And I think Tolkien keeps us all sane.

BoromirOfWinterfell
Rohan

Oct 24 2013, 8:13am

Post #15 of 16 (44 views)
Shortcut
The problem with this is [In reply to] Can't Post

That it's a tour. We don't decide how long we want to stay somewhere. I don't know if I want to do that or go upon my own accord.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Nov 5 2013, 9:44pm

Post #16 of 16 (29 views)
Shortcut
I certainly have and I am doing better [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's still hard after losing my Granny. I miss her so much.
I hope that God and friends here will give you the strength the make your own decision.
Tolkien definitely keeps us sane and together.
Good Luck, BoromirOfWinterfell!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.