Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rumor: TDOS running time 156 minutes
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2013, 7:55pm

Post #1 of 88 (2268 views)
Shortcut
Rumor: TDOS running time 156 minutes Can't Post

Someone on another movie board got his hands on an invitation for a TDOS screening on the WB lot. It lists 156 minutes as the running time.

This might be false or a preliminary running time but it would coincide with what Boyens said a while back (that it would be a tad shorter than AUJ).

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 8:01pm

Post #2 of 88 (1114 views)
Shortcut
If its shorter [In reply to] Can't Post

that means i can pack in more viewings. lol

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 8:14pm

Post #3 of 88 (1057 views)
Shortcut
NOOOOOOOOOOOO [In reply to] Can't Post

WB must have interfered

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 8:21pm

Post #4 of 88 (932 views)
Shortcut
Also means that the EE might be longer than just 13 minutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 8:28pm

Post #5 of 88 (945 views)
Shortcut
No proof for that at all. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we should keep the hyperbole down just as with the Howard Shore rumours ;)

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 8:28pm

Post #6 of 88 (917 views)
Shortcut
wb [In reply to] Can't Post

obviously pressured pj to make this film shorter i knew this would happen

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Oct 19 2013, 1:05am)

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 8:32pm

Post #7 of 88 (954 views)
Shortcut
If 156 minutes is accurate... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then it's only shorter than AUJ by 13 minutes. Not really such a huge deal, no matter who made the decision. It's still longer than your average movie.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 18 2013, 8:36pm)

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 8:36pm

Post #8 of 88 (888 views)
Shortcut
i want pjs film [In reply to] Can't Post

not the studio approved version *sigh* i was looking so forward to this

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 8:41pm

Post #9 of 88 (857 views)
Shortcut
How do you know this ISN'T "pjs film"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the fact that DoS is a mere 13 minutes shorter is such a huge cause for concern. Like I edited into my previous comment, it's still quite a bit longer than your average film. And this just leaves more for the EE.

I, for one, am fine with a 156-minute running time.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 8:45pm

Post #10 of 88 (837 views)
Shortcut
I find it hard to believe that there would be pressure from WB... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're already making bank. The way I figured it, they would let PJ do almost whatever he wanted for the last two films since they already have +$1 billion.

Now, I don't know this for sure, or how things work, but it seems unlikely that WB would be appling this kind of pressure to Mr. Jackson.

I for one always thought this movie would be pretty long considering all of the material they need to cover.

Oh well, we shall see in less than two months!

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 88 (847 views)
Shortcut
pj does not make middle earth films SHORTER than their predecessors [In reply to] Can't Post

WB pulled this exact same thing with the hp films they decided they cant havea 3 hour hp fil so azkaban happened wb heard the cry baby critics .moan about aujs runtime so they demanded pj cut this one down

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 8:52pm

Post #12 of 88 (828 views)
Shortcut
It's already been suggested DoS would be a shorter, snappier movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember Philippa Boyens mentioning it in an interview ages ago. AUJ could have done with 10 minutes cutting out of it (theatrically) so I welcome a shorter DoS.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 8:55pm

Post #13 of 88 (803 views)
Shortcut
The story is already being stretched out enough as it is... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is not LotR.

dubulous
Rohan

Post #14 of 88 (790 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a pretty good length to me [In reply to] Can't Post

We can't expect The Hobbit movies to be quite of the LOTR length because there simply isn't as much story to tell. 2 Ĺ hours and some odd minutes is still quite a substantial length.

Fleuz
Lorien

Post #15 of 88 (807 views)
Shortcut
That running time sounds realistic [In reply to] Can't Post

considering there were 2 films planned.

Just imagine movie one would have led us till the barrels.

Unthinkable!

PJ said a year ago that AUJ will be the longest one.

so
AUJ - 169min
DOS - 156min
TABA - 160min ???
-----------------------------
approximately: 8 hours

That would have yield to two 4-hour movies!

So keep it realistic. Still enaugh time to cover everything .

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 8:57pm

Post #16 of 88 (791 views)
Shortcut
phylippa boyens is not pj [In reply to] Can't Post

this is his film not hers

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 8:59pm

Post #17 of 88 (829 views)
Shortcut
There may not be proof, but I think, if it is true, there the suspiscion is a sound one. [In reply to] Can't Post

This started happening with the Potter films, if you noticed. The directors seemed to take on a sudden, inexplicable desire, a vocalized one mind, to see if they could get more and more story into shorter spans. The sixth book and film suffered horribly because of it in many places.

I certainly hope the 2hrs and 36 minutes does NOT include the credits!!! This would make for a film the same length as An Unexpected, I believe, which seemed and felt just a little short, even with the minor bloat of a rabbit chase and lithotransformers. I have a strong feeling I am going to wish they had left the Midsummer party of Old Took, the conversation of Elrond and Gandalf, and probably the flirting of Kili IN the theatrical version (maybe cutting down on the chase and the mountaintransformers). Desolation has A LOT going on, and they seem to have added alot. It could be a really tight (too tight) pinch if this is true. Consider...

10 minutes of picking up from part 1 and getting to Beorn's house.
10 more At Beorn's house ( a stay too short to my mind, if you please)
5 minutes or so of Gandalf leading the dwarves to Mirkwood and parting ways with them
5minutes of Gandalf and Radagast in and around The High Fells
10 minutes of the dwarves initial foray into Mirkwood
10 minutes of arachnid problems
10 minutes of Gandalf going into Dol Guldur
10 minutes of Elves taking the dwarves before Thranduil
10 minutes of Gandalf finding out what is going on in Dol Guldur and escaping the place
10 minutes of Bilbo freeing the Dwarves, taking the River and making it to Lake Town
10 minutes IN laketown
10 minutes of heading to the mountain
20 total minutes of Smaug

Now, I have said nothing of orcs in Mirkwood or in te Laketown of Esgaroth, nothing of side commentaries amongst Elves, nor of meetings with Elves and Wizards as suggested (and hoped for) via the production videos, nothing of the ruins of Dale aside from the dwarves passing through it. At the rate above, with several scenes of 10 minutes already being too short for my liking (I mean, since we are definitely doing the 3 movies, might as well make the most of it), we are left about five minutes to quirk And cram all of those other parts in as filling, IF the credits are included in the run time. If not, all right, that gives us around twenty minutes to play with, which does help. Unsure

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 9:05pm

Post #18 of 88 (769 views)
Shortcut
The problem with the "more for extended" arguement, is that sometimes putting aside hurts the main film [In reply to] Can't Post

The theatrical version which most people outside of the diehard film fans are going to see. Much of the TTT and ROTK extended material was good as just that. It was nice but didn't really add anything of great import (aside from Saruman's conversation with Gandalf), and in one case it shoved in manuer that needed to never be shown or seen anywhere.

Fellowship, However, was VASTLY improved upon in EE, and the theatrical version would have been a MUCH better and more accurate movie adaptation IF those some of those scenes had been left in.

I have the feeling the same might be true in some places for An Unexpected Journey.

If the scenes cut out for EE are amazing scenes that would make for a truyly more impressive film, rather than just nice scenes that the fans can get a laugh or lore nod through, then they probably should not be reserved for Extended anything.

In Reply To
I don't think the fact that DoS is a mere 13 minutes shorter is such a huge cause for concern. Like I edited into my previous comment, it's still quite a bit longer than your average film. And this just leaves more for the EE.

I, for one, am fine with a 156-minute running time.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 9:20pm

Post #19 of 88 (710 views)
Shortcut
Very true :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 9:20pm

Post #20 of 88 (734 views)
Shortcut
I feel that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if anything, AUJ needed to be shorter by about 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying myself in the theater, and could have sat for another hour watching, but I think there was a whole lot in AUJ that should have been saved for the EE (especially sections of the stone giants, Goblin-town, and as much as I hate to say it, Bag-End).

I thought the LotR EEs were vastly superior to the TEs in just about every way, and I loved getting the EEs right before the next film released, as it rekindled my interest in the previous film. No, I didn't like the Gandalf/Witch-king scene too much, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers you.

Anyway, I think there's a huge difference in comparing LotR EEs with TH EEs. I think LotR warranted 3 films (probably more like 4 or 5), I don't feel TH does.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 18 2013, 9:28pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 9:25pm

Post #21 of 88 (698 views)
Shortcut
Sounds a reasonable time./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Excited! Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 9:40pm

Post #22 of 88 (716 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wild speculations here, we really should calm down before blaming WB or anyone else.

It is a fact that MANY people felt AUJ was too long (not just the critics)... I personally could have sat there another 30 to 60 minutes but we have to stay realistic here (Frodo intro and Stone Giants would have been my major cuts for a theatrical version).

With that running time DoS would still be much longer than most blockbuster movies (20! minutes longer than MANY of them). Enough time to tell a story. The how should be important, not the how long.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 18 2013, 9:42pm)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 9:53pm

Post #23 of 88 (676 views)
Shortcut
Agreement and disagreement points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to disagree strongly about Bag End. The ONLY thing in that entire scene that could have stood any shaving was the chip the glasses song, and that was pure cannon, so I am still happy that it was in, and it also ended wonderfully with the knock from Thorin and Gandalf's proclamation. Everything else in Bag End went a long way towards making the film for me. As with movies like Willow (which of course was very much inspired by The Hobbit), it helps enormously to have a nice, cozy, ordinary bucollic life start to properly juxtapose against the great adventure that follows. A way of tucking us into bed and lighting the lamp before revealing the great story to us. Wink

I agree about the Stone Giants. I didn't think I would, but after the way they turned out, yes I do. I also agree about some of the Goblin town stunts. Keep Gandalf's magic, those parts were great. Keep some of the fighting. Loose the repeat reels that look like they were be made to be set to Benny Hill's music.

In Reply To
...if anything, AUJ needed to be shorter by about 20 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I was enjoying myself in the theater, and could have sat for another hour watching, but I think there was a whole lot in AUJ that should have been saved for the EE (especially sections of the stone giants, Goblin-town, and as much as I hate to say it, Bag-End).

I thought the LotR EEs were vastly superior to the TEs in just about every way, and I loved getting the EEs right before the next film released, as it rekindled my interest in the previous film. No, I didn't like the Gandalf/Witch-king scene too much, but it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it bothers you.

Anyway, I think there's a huge difference in comparing LotR EEs with TH EEs. I think LotR warranted 3 films (probably more like 4 or 5), I don't feel TH does.

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 9:55pm

Post #24 of 88 (668 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's true, i think this will be a very good running time and will make for a cleaner, much better paced movie.

The only thing i don't like about this is that it seems further proof of Smaug's attack on Laketown being moved to TABA. I guess we'll find out in 55 days (or possibly sooner, when the tracklist of the score gets released)

Gollum's_Apprentice
The Shire

Oct 18 2013, 10:11pm

Post #25 of 88 (649 views)
Shortcut
i dont care how long it is [In reply to] Can't Post

if the length is pjs will but i do not want to support forced cuts by studio bosses

(This post was edited by Gollum's_Apprentice on Oct 18 2013, 10:12pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.