Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
No Ian Holm

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 1:52pm

Post #1 of 25 (941 views)
Shortcut
No Ian Holm Can't Post

Ian Holm were not listed in the casting for this movie...
Does this mean that there will be no voice over with him, or was he forgot like Stephen Fry? Wink

Vocalist in the progressive metal band 5 Minutes Late
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 25 (429 views)
Shortcut
It's best if Ian Holm reappears in TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

Shifting the narrative back to the "present" half-way through the Trilogy would not be the wisest of ways to present the story, IMO.

I'd rather have Ian Holm reappear sometime towards the end of TABA, in order to establish the opening sequence in The Fellowship of the Ring.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

DjU
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 2:18pm

Post #3 of 25 (405 views)
Shortcut
considering [In reply to] Can't Post

Considering no one is expecting a voice over by Ian Holm in this movie I'm not sure you could say he is missing.

We *might* get some more Holm at the very end of TabA if they are using the old Biblo as bookends and not just an Intro but nothing is expected in DoS

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 2:20pm

Post #4 of 25 (445 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if i'm wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

But i remember Elijah Wood(?) confirming a while ago that neither he nor Ian Holm would return in the next 2 movies.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 2:30pm

Post #5 of 25 (397 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I do seem to recall something similar [In reply to] Can't Post

though I thought it only applied to Wood. Then again, I can't find the original link to that statement Crazy

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2013, 2:35pm

Post #6 of 25 (401 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's right. Here's the thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here. Wink

I followed up again by asking Wood if any of his previously shot footage would be used to bookend the prequel trilogy and if it was possible he might still appear briefly in There and Back Again. “Not to the best of my knowledge, no,” he replied.

He could've been twisting the truth. It would be quite a spoiler if he had let it slip. Or, like Cate Blanchett, he has no idea.

Are we going to go through this for all cast members not listed? Tongue

DjU
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 2:38pm

Post #7 of 25 (391 views)
Shortcut
Wood yes, Holm not definite [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But i remember Elijah Wood(?) confirming a while ago that neither he nor Ian Holm would return in the next 2 movies.

He (Elijah) said he personally hadn't filmed anything other than what was shown in AUJ. However that doesn't necessarily stop Holm potentially appearing. Even if it to pop back into his Hobbit hole!

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 2:38pm

Post #8 of 25 (365 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually just going to reply to Arandir: "Don't worry, Daniel will soon be here to give us the source" Tongue

chris10112
Bree

Oct 18 2013, 2:43pm

Post #9 of 25 (388 views)
Shortcut
Frodo... [In reply to] Can't Post

...will almost certainly appear in TABA. But it's more than likely it's just re-used FOTR footage.

http://i.imgur.com/CFUXawh.jpg

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 2:47pm

Post #10 of 25 (380 views)
Shortcut
How is This for an Idea? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's Martin who
blows out the candle
to end the Story..

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 18 2013, 2:50pm

Post #11 of 25 (371 views)
Shortcut
Great Catch! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...will almost certainly appear in TABA. But it's more than likely it's just re-used FOTR footage.

http://i.imgur.com/CFUXawh.jpg

Never noticed that one.
That was my dream-end years ago.

Evil

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 2:50pm

Post #12 of 25 (347 views)
Shortcut
Lovely idea, Bomby! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 2:53pm

Post #13 of 25 (371 views)
Shortcut
They could end TABA - [In reply to] Can't Post

- with a bookend scene showing Gandalf arriving at the Shire for the Long-Expected Party.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 3:11pm

Post #14 of 25 (320 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks for the link! // [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2013, 3:35pm

Post #15 of 25 (293 views)
Shortcut
Love it, Bomby! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lindele
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 3:45pm

Post #16 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
I don't believe so [In reply to] Can't Post

I heard that they would both be back in TABA...or at least for sure Ian Holm

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 3:57pm

Post #17 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
Maybe for TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe in what the casts says too much anymore. For one thing, they may not have an idea what footage PJ will use. I think Frodo won't be back (he is already heading off the meet Gandalf in AUJ, so he is done), but Ian maybe back for a few minutes to close off the story in Bags End (won't surprise me)

Retro315
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 4:07pm

Post #18 of 25 (281 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope to see Holm again at the end to link it up with the beginning of Fellowship - it is a framing device, after all.

I also hope it comes right after a final scene where Very Old Balin comes to visit Old Martin Freeman some years after the BOFA, the last time we see the old chap.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 4:09pm

Post #19 of 25 (287 views)
Shortcut
Yes probably re-used footage or... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that the studios "blocked" off the content that assistant editor was working on by asking him to replace whatever footage he had with a LOTR-one.

I remember something similar was done for another matter - replacing a possible Hobbit-spoiler shot with a LOTR-one ... but I can't remember what it was.

Bah! What a memory I've got! Laugh

(This post was edited by Arandir on Oct 18 2013, 4:13pm)

chris10112
Bree

Oct 18 2013, 4:32pm

Post #20 of 25 (263 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

I doubt they did that. The caption at the bottom says "the Shire... 60 years later."

A lot of hassle to get the footage, then place a caption over it, for 5 seconds of showing a screen that could just be left out with a different camera angle.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 11:35pm

Post #21 of 25 (167 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. Putting him back in the middle of things would be an extraneous and potentially [In reply to] Can't Post

disruptive distraction.

In Reply To
Shifting the narrative back to the "present" half-way through the Trilogy would not be the wisest of ways to present the story, IMO.

I'd rather have Ian Holm reappear sometime towards the end of TABA, in order to establish the opening sequence in The Fellowship of the Ring.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 12:16am

Post #22 of 25 (151 views)
Shortcut
That [In reply to] Can't Post

Caption was there in the TE of FOTR.

chris10112
Bree

Oct 19 2013, 9:53am

Post #23 of 25 (121 views)
Shortcut
It absolutely definitely was not [In reply to] Can't Post

Go back and check. That scene follows Bilbo writing, not a flashback

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 6:52pm

Post #24 of 25 (84 views)
Shortcut
As much as I liked Ian Holm's voiceover I would prefer TABA to end with Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

I want the last lines of TABA to be Martin Freeman, as Bilbo, speaking 'The road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began...'

As he recites this, we see a montage of images, including Balin and company entering Moria, a child Frodo with his parents, Legolas wandering through Mirkwood as the leaves start to fall, Gandalf slowly riding into the distance on some adventure, Saruman intently staring at something we can't see, Gollum emerging from beneath the mountains...

Briar
The Shire

Oct 19 2013, 8:16pm

Post #25 of 25 (74 views)
Shortcut
That would be a lovely way for the final film to end! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.