Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interesting observation about Bofur's song in the EE (Thorin-related)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 9:54am

Post #1 of 27 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Interesting observation about Bofur's song in the EE (Thorin-related) Can't Post

Sorry if this has already been noticed, but in this gif, you'll observe that Thorin appears to be getting involved in the festivities!

It's quite remarkable to see him letting his hair down even to this small, foot-tapping extent, but I guess he's happy to encourage anything which will anger his Elven hosts!

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Oct 18 2013, 9:56am)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Oct 18 2013, 9:56am

Post #2 of 27 (640 views)
Shortcut
There's that mysterious Fili double/stand-in again! // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2013, 9:58am

Post #3 of 27 (670 views)
Shortcut
Is Elrond as well? [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like he's clicking his fingers.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 9:59am

Post #4 of 27 (636 views)
Shortcut
I didn't notice this was the same place that The Council of Elrond was held! [In reply to] Can't Post

He's dancing on the pedestal that Frodo put the ring on!

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Oct 18 2013, 9:59am)

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 10:00am

Post #5 of 27 (631 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

Either that or he's beckoning one of his servants to forcibly remove Bofur!

Angharad73
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 10:00am

Post #6 of 27 (623 views)
Shortcut
I thought so, too [In reply to] Can't Post

It does look like he is snapping his fingers along with the music, but maybe it's just the gif being repetitive that makes it look like it?

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 11:21am

Post #7 of 27 (579 views)
Shortcut
Is that Thorin on the right? [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like he is playing an instrument!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 11:27am

Post #8 of 27 (566 views)
Shortcut
WayFunny! Bombur is Throwing Food Back at his Brother? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Poor Bofur...... in the ForeGround has IT Down!
He may have an Axe in his ForeHead
Yet? still gotsumm.. Rhythm?...Crazy

Lindur MUST be in Charge of Protocol?
He is toooo serious,

Come On Linder (Bret?)
Let Hair your down!

Seems Dwalin is gunna Pelt Bifur W/a Biscuit?

BombyThinks Nori spots an opportunity to Take
some serious Rivendell silver souvenirs! (Undercover)

WHOA Nelly, we should be Rolling
in the Aisles!
& amSURE the Crew had
a LaughRiot... that Day of Shooting...

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 18 2013, 11:32am)

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 1:46pm

Post #9 of 27 (484 views)
Shortcut
maybe because he missed blunt the knives [In reply to] Can't Post

but it is really WEIRD to see Thorin having fun!

I can't wait to see this scene now! Sly

Especially the elves reaction to it Tongue

Race is meaningless. We all bleed red-no matter who or what we are. What matters is the heart. For each race has those with good hearts and those with bad hearts. You have a good heart. You do not deserve to die.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 1:52pm

Post #10 of 27 (475 views)
Shortcut
I thought that Thorin was behind Bofur... [In reply to] Can't Post

or is that Fíli (since Kíli is next to Bifur)? Laugh
Oh, the three of them really confuse me! Crazy

I suppose that is Thorin on the right stamping his foot. Never thought I'd see him doing that - especially in front of Gandalf and Elrond! Sly

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 3:04pm

Post #11 of 27 (448 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my goodness!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In a public library and had to quickly clamp my hand over my mouth to keep from letting out a delighted squeal when I saw this gif. Or, more importantly, noticed what Thorin was doing!!! Wink In the trailer I saw that he wasn't in his seat across from Gandalf, but thought no more of it... I was just watching Bofur do his thing. I'm gonna crack up now whenever I rewatch FOTR and realize that the Bofur was dancing where the Ring is now!

It looks like, at the very end of the gif, that Bofur is starting to turn to catch whatever Bombur is throwing at him - possibly an egg? It looks small and white. So the brothers have egg-tossing contests. Tongue Or it could be a small roll, I suppose.

I love how all the Elves are just standing there like, "We are *not* amused." They just don't know how to have fun anymore, do they??? Laugh Well, it's their loss. I would be in the middle of this food fight, you can bet. As for Elrond... I think he doesn't know whether to be amused at this or to call for some dwarf-wranglers to remove them from the vicinity.

Can anyone see a vase of yellow flowers that Bifur was supposed to be munching on?

Still... gah... Thorin... what is he *doing*? Encouraging them? Or about to express his majestic disapproval? Laugh I don't know! I can't wait to find out! Argh, I thought I was going to wait and get the special extended edition when it came out, but it looks like I can't wait now!! Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 3:08pm

Post #12 of 27 (425 views)
Shortcut
Is it definitely him? [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seem out of character, especially given the talks he had with the Elves at Rivendell.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 18 2013, 3:21pm

Post #13 of 27 (408 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's his belt, his boots, his mail sleeves, and his hair. Who else could it be?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Retro315
Rivendell

Oct 18 2013, 4:02pm

Post #14 of 27 (394 views)
Shortcut
RE [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact you're in a public library seems pretty appropriate; since Rivendell is so library-like, the dwarves dancing on tables is akin to doing the same at a university or library dinner function.

You get the feeling Elrond's staff are shaking their heads, but that Elrond, who has seen a good thing or two more than anyone in his household, might have a lighter touch in spite of his stern bearing and eye for the serious things of history. Weaving does great work when it comes time for Elrond to suddenly become ... well, down-to-earth, and kind. I think of that new scene with Bilbo, but also his happiness at Aragorn's coronation, and his tenderness with Arwen when she gets dizzy. Suddenly the stuffy old librarian drops completely and this old Elf appears.

I suspect we'll see what it's like when working class Elves make merry, when their Festival of the Hunt interruption is finished and they get back to feasting.

I wonder if Thranduil's halls will be decorated for the festivities, and I wonder if Legolas will dance. He let his hair down a bit when he bonded so fiercely with the Riders of Rohan.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 4:31pm

Post #15 of 27 (364 views)
Shortcut
ANOTHER Food Fight?...Yess [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems once they get a Full Tummy
Left-overs ???
HIT the AIR..

...would REALLY PO Elrond & All!

" ...Target Practice, at the Dinner Table!..."
CLASSIC Dwarvish behavior
MUCH?

Bomby's Gotta LOVE THESEum..Dwarves!

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 5:53pm

Post #16 of 27 (308 views)
Shortcut
All we need now is Gandalf to join in... [In reply to] Can't Post

easy, here we go! Gandalf Nod

This is so funny! Thanks for posting the GIF - never noticed Thorin's hilarious "dance".Laugh

(P.S. I agree with you about the apparent Fili stand-in)

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 6:07pm

Post #17 of 27 (309 views)
Shortcut
Wow this is fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love watching the dwarves having a good old time! They sure know how to party! And the elves don't look particularly pleased with such frivolity. Too bad for them! And I can't even imagine Thorin having fun! That sure looks like him stomping his foot and, I think, playing an instrument on the right side. Then again, who is that behind Bofur on the right? That looks like him too. Too much facial hair for Kili, I think. Anyway, manohman am I looking forward to the EE!!!! EEEE!!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 18 2013, 7:02pm

Post #18 of 27 (296 views)
Shortcut
What's really going to be funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that now that we know that Lindir will be asking (in another scene) Elrond when exactly the dwarves are planning to leave, it adds a whole new dimension to his later line delivery of "The dwarves.... they're gone." Laugh

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Oct 18 2013, 7:07pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 18 2013, 7:18pm

Post #19 of 27 (282 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Dean was filming season two of The Almighty Johnsons around the time of The Hobbit's first film (he makes only occasional appearances in the first half of that season), and I wonder if he just wasn't available to PJ on the day this scene was filmed?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 18 2013, 7:51pm

Post #20 of 27 (268 views)
Shortcut
I'm melting, I'm melting..... [In reply to] Can't Post

AAAAAAAgh I wanted to get the Blu-Ray and NOT watch on a computer, can't stand it, I'm weakening.......will Thorin have one of those rare, beautiful smiles? Will Lindir faint with horror? Will Nori steal all the silverware? Already wondering why any of these scenes were cut in the first place, this scene alone is worth the EE version.

LadyEmmaE
Bree

Oct 18 2013, 8:17pm

Post #21 of 27 (256 views)
Shortcut
This is the part I'm most excited to see! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur is my favourite! Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 18 2013, 8:26pm

Post #22 of 27 (260 views)
Shortcut
It looks like Kazinsky to me ... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can see him in numerous shots during Rivendell ...

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 19 2013, 12:10am

Post #23 of 27 (207 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Thorin in tht picture, like when he is on the pony looking at bilbo standing in the light.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 19 2013, 7:12am

Post #24 of 27 (163 views)
Shortcut
On the right of Gandalf? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely Fili. I've cut Thorin and Dwalin out of the picture, who were on the left of Gandalf.

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 19 2013, 12:45pm

Post #25 of 27 (127 views)
Shortcut
Rofl @ Elrond-clicking-fingers XD // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.