Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's Talk Thranduil

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 2:28pm

Post #1 of 23 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Let's Talk Thranduil Can't Post

PleaseSmile

In my opinion he is the most fully realized character in costume and artifacts of any character in either AUJ or LOTR. His crown is especially mesmerizing. And the robe with the filigree lace is spectacular. It looks like the costumers were inspired by a factor of 10 when they worked on Thranduil's realization for DOS and TABA. Why is that? I think it is because of Lee Pace. He is such a perfect elf. But I could be wrong.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 3:01pm

Post #2 of 23 (654 views)
Shortcut
I Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The casting of Lee Pace in this role does seem inspired. In fact, the casting of all three major Woodland Realm Elves couldn't have been done better, in my opinion. Of course casting Orlando as Legolas was something done long ago, but if I recall back to the time when FOTR was released, he was a complete unknown, and I remember discussing the film with friends. The consensus was that the elves were a slight weak point of the film (too many just looked like male models with pointed ears), but "that guy they got for Legolas was really convincing as an elf". To this day I believe that Orlando's work as Legolas was his best ever. And (as I've posted before) it was almost 6 years ago when I first thought that Evangeline Lilly would make a great forest elf in Tolkien, so I was just blown away when she was cast as Tauriel.

Pace seems to have put a lot of thought into the role, using Oberon and The Fisher King for inspiration. Thus I think he'll bring a full 3-dimensionality to the role, with much more depth to the character than in the book (where the name Thranduil is never even used). I hope his expanded characterization is comparable to that of Thorin as portrayed by Richard Armitage. Interesting to note that in the previous film version of The Hobbit (Rankin-Bass) Thranduil's character was IMO the worst of the character adaptations from the book (seaweed on his head and a voice that sounded like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a fishbowl).

Besides the characterization, I also noted how Lee Pace gave credit to Terry Notary for helping work out how an elf character such as Thranduil should move, walk, and fight. I think this aspect of the Elves in The Hobbit will enhance their characterizations as Elves, and to be honest I've been a bit puzzled by some of the criticism leveled at Notary and the sarcastic use of the terms "Ninja Elves" or "Matrix Elves". These are supposed to be superior beings out of fantasy, essentially immortal and physically beyond mere humans. Thranduil when we first meet him will come off as rather indolent and not wanting to get involved, but by the end he'll personally take part in the fighting, so we can look forward to that.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2013, 3:39pm

Post #3 of 23 (581 views)
Shortcut
You're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

The effort they have put into Thranduil's design has been spectacular IMO. I agree that Lee Pace's efforts to really research the character and get into that mindset had to be a contributing factor in inspiring the costume designers and giving them some direction. The designs really communicate who Thranduil is as a character: arrogant, powerful, and regal, yet you get the sense that there is something else going on beneath the surface.

Speaking of beneath the surface, I am really looking forward to seeing how Thranduil's character is developed in the next two movies. Although the advertisements have focused more on Legolas and Tauriel, I think we'll see more of Thranduil than we think and his story may be deeper and more extensive than it appears to be at first glance. Back in September TORn did an interesting article called "Thranduil, The Fisher King and Oberon, Why it Matters". If you didn't read it then, it's worth reading now in it's entirety. http://www.theonering.net/...eron-why-it-matters/ It's long, but very educational and eye-opening.
It expands on some comments made by Lee Pace, found in the August issue of Empire Magazine, about the literary inspirations for Thranduil. It would appear that Lee Pace really did his research on this role and that Thranduil is a pretty complex character. I'm quite impressed!

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

emre43
Lorien

Oct 16 2013, 3:59pm

Post #4 of 23 (578 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil is great [In reply to] Can't Post

But Gandalf is also great, not sure I could pick Thranduil above him as best character design. Maybe equal.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 16 2013, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 23 (534 views)
Shortcut
I would agree, re. Gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

He is as I imagined him (or better!), in terms of both the outer appearance and the way he acts.

Thranduil is looking fantastic – and for me is by far the most Elf-like of all the 'Elves'.

In general, apart from Thranduil I've thought that the Elves in the films just look like humans, and often not particularly good-looking ones at that, though Elrond has an excuse in that he is Half-Elven. Galadriel in AUJ (but not LOTR) is next best after Thranduil for me, with the others a long way behind her.

In Reply To
But Gandalf is also great, not sure I could pick Thranduil above him as best character design. Maybe equal.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 23 (549 views)
Shortcut
He's definitely the best of the new characters [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dwarves, for example, are a mixed bag... it took a while to get used to Thorin (it doesn't help that his look is a little inconsistent in parts of AUJ due to them altering his prosthetics and hair later on).

Thranduil, however, is perfect! It's a flawless look on par with the best work from LOTR. Lee Pace's casting was also pretty inspired.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 16 2013, 4:58pm

Post #7 of 23 (580 views)
Shortcut
I just wish they'd let him use his real voice. [In reply to] Can't Post

Instead of the lightened "Elvish" voice.

Find the video where he and Luke Evans and introduce the recent trailer.

Dang! Laugh

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 16 2013, 5:03pm

Post #8 of 23 (556 views)
Shortcut
Another pretty elf [In reply to] Can't Post

as far as I'm concerned. And judging by Legolas, nuts don't fall far from the tree: the family resemblance is there. I just hope he's as snarky and arrogant as he seems from his photos. He's going to be a good counterpart to RA's Thorin and I look forward to their meeting.

And yeah, it seems the elves go in for high fashion in a big way. I wonder if he dresses up his megaloceros in his spare time? Wink

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 16 2013, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 23 (544 views)
Shortcut
Into the woods! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Pace seems to have put a lot of thought into the role, using Oberon and The Fisher King for inspiration. Thus I think he'll bring a full 3-dimensionality to the role, with much more depth to the character than in the book (where the name Thranduil is never even used). I hope his expanded characterization is comparable to that of Thorin as portrayed by Richard Armitage."

Personally delighted with the appearance and choice of Pace and very impressed reading how Pace took long walks in the woods, preparing for his role. As a long time fantasy and mythology lover, like Thorin's inky flowing mane, topaz-brilliant eyes, and dark fierceness (Celtic god), Thranduil's slender elegance, woodland crown, and beautiful but dangerous eyes are evoking all the stories I ever read of the "Fair Folk" of Europe; the stories of the "Wild Hunt" which if viewed by mortals either causes death or madness, how one should never join the dances of elves or fairies or EVER eat or drink anything offered to you by these beings (because you'll sleep, and wake up in 100 years. Or forget who you are, and never leave. Or you dance until you die). It's the frightening concept of mysterious beauty that is oh-so-dangerous. Think the WETA folks have woven all these legends into the depiction of Mirkwood and think Pace was very aware of the stories.

So I'm loving the images I'm seeing of the trippy Mirkwood and all its tangled vegetation and mushrooms (can't believe the sets!!!) with this ethereal, deadly, Elven King (think the very first time we see Thranduil re the Arkenstone - his expression says a lot about what the thinks of the situation in general - perfect). I love what seems to be Thranduil's haughty, cool, SEEMING indolence - what better for a powerful being hundreds of years old, who has seen so much and is pretty much unchallenged (except, perhaps, by a dragon.....) Evidently the book meeting of Throin and Thranduil has been changed quite a lot, but from rehearsal footage I hope this remains a powerful scene - I was looking forward to that. And I'm looking forward to seeing Thranduil furious and fighting re the v-blog footage.

BTW, I'm one of the ones who has used terms like "Matrix" so should clarify, IMO, the ability of both dwarves and elves as depicted in the films to move, fight, and survive situations impossible for a human doesn't bother me. It DOES make me uneasy when I see movements that look as though they were done before, tho think PJ & co. work very hard to keep things fresh. For instance, when Tauriel leans backward as an orc swings a sword I can't help but think of Neo in the Matrix. Or the use of motion blurs which I think is excessive. On the other hand, when Legolas comes down swinging around a spider's own line I think is totally cool. None of that's a deal-breaker for me anyway. I'm less enthused re Legolas and EL (re Bloom seems to be too much of him and like his Daddy better plus face issue, and EL *shrugs* not a fan and what seems to be too much of her, but hafta wait and see...EL .body does look great in costume tho.)

And the team couldn't have done better for these movies than to have a former "Cirq" performer on hand to train the actors - genius!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2013, 5:27pm

Post #10 of 23 (526 views)
Shortcut
Where is that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know there was a video where he and Luke Evans introduce the recent trailer. Where is it, for I very much desire to watch it!

P.S. Faking an accent is probably the major reason why his voice seems "lightened" since it isn't the way he normally speaks. Personally, I really like Lee's real voice AND his "Elvish" voice! Blush

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 16 2013, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 23 (506 views)
Shortcut
Here it is: [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here.

It's only short. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 16 2013, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 23 (468 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how they both laugh at the end!

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 16 2013, 7:02pm

Post #13 of 23 (472 views)
Shortcut
It's not the accent. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice the accent, as a matter of fact.

I'm just wishing they'd let him use his normal deep tones.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 17 2013, 1:24am

Post #14 of 23 (355 views)
Shortcut
Somebody, please draw this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And yeah, it seems the elves go in for high fashion in a big way. I wonder if he dresses up his megaloceros in his spare time? Wink

My mental picture is of the megaloceros in a frilly dress and being dragged to an elven tea party in the woods.... Laugh Laugh Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 17 2013, 1:38am

Post #15 of 23 (361 views)
Shortcut
Let's do [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really looking forward to Thranduil, and I love his design! I've said this before, and I'll say it again, his appearance reminds me alittle of David Bowie. I just hope to see enough of Thranduil. He is an important character, and I don't want to see him undermined.
Lee Pace was a good pick for Thranduil. I was sceptical at first, because he was in the last Twilight movie, but I was wrong. He's a great Thranduil, at least he seems to be.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 17 2013, 1:44am

Post #16 of 23 (336 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

everything you said rings with me. I love reading stories of Elves, or "The Fair Folk". (I don't read much fantasy novels, but I enjoy mythology, particularly Norse.)

Thorin's inky flowing mane, topaz-brilliant eyes, and dark fierceness (Celtic god), Thranduil's slender elegance, woodland crown, and beautiful but dangerous eyes are evoking all the stories I ever read of the "Fair Folk" of Europe

This was so eloqunetly said. Cool

Elciryamo
Rivendell

Oct 17 2013, 5:53am

Post #17 of 23 (307 views)
Shortcut
Classically trained is working with Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

This, to me, is a very good sign. While Tolkien did not have a full idea of Thranduil in the Hobbit, to see Pace bring such a large amount of classical ideas, and performances gives me hope that he will be very serious. Personally, Thranduil has already given a great, almost distant and haughty performance, just in trailers. There is a distinct aura of royalty that is not present in many of the other Elves. I prefer that with the Elf King.

(This post was edited by Elciryamo on Oct 17 2013, 5:56am)

pippinmaniac
Bree

Oct 17 2013, 6:25am

Post #18 of 23 (275 views)
Shortcut
I can't wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

until December! I hope I don't get the flu like I did last year and only get to see the movie three times! I love it when an actor takes the time to really study the character he will be playing. Hopefully Thranduil will have a matching theme in the score-beautiful and perilous.

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 17 2013, 2:31pm

Post #19 of 23 (224 views)
Shortcut
as in "Labyrinth"? [In reply to] Can't Post

David Bowie as Jareth = awesome. Looks like Pace upped things even more.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 18 2013, 1:04am

Post #20 of 23 (148 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

And also makes me think of his Ziggy days.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 5:48am

Post #21 of 23 (155 views)
Shortcut
ABSOLUTELY. When Thranduil is sitting athrone with his sassy boots and crossed legs., [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely he does. Which is fine. Jareth is awesome. Thranduil will also be awesome, though still distinctive. I think it was a very good casting choice... only because Bowie is now past the prime age for the role ;) .

In Reply To
I'm really looking forward to Thranduil, and I love his design! I've said this before, and I'll say it again, his appearance reminds me alittle of David Bowie. I just hope to see enough of Thranduil. He is an important character, and I don't want to see him undermined.
Lee Pace was a good pick for Thranduil. I was sceptical at first, because he was in the last Twilight movie, but I was wrong. He's a great Thranduil, at least he seems to be.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 18 2013, 5:51am

Post #22 of 23 (126 views)
Shortcut
Aside from that hat sometimes being gray. Its blue. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dammit all it is a blue hat ALL the time. Not just some of the time when they remember to do the colour adjustments.

In Reply To
He is as I imagined him (or better!), in terms of both the outer appearance and the way he acts.

Thranduil is looking fantastic – and for me is by far the most Elf-like of all the 'Elves'.

In general, apart from Thranduil I've thought that the Elves in the films just look like humans, and often not particularly good-looking ones at that, though Elrond has an excuse in that he is Half-Elven. Galadriel in AUJ (but not LOTR) is next best after Thranduil for me, with the others a long way behind her.

In Reply To

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 19 2013, 8:12pm

Post #23 of 23 (72 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

If Bowie was the right age, I'd say pick him. But since he's past the prime age, Lee Pace is a good choice. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.