Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Interesting!

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 10:03am

Views: 248
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What are your thoughts on this progression from light to dark?
I thought you chose great screencaps as for the first picture Gandalf is on the right, Faramir and Denethor are in the middle, and on the left (which is usually represented as evil) is the Witch King.
Gandalf's white, Denethor and Faramir are in both and white, and the Which King is dark.
It shows that it really is like a chess board.

2. Who and what are Gandalf, Shadowfax and Gandalf's staff that they are of such purity of colour?
Well, the white shows that Gandalf is not a human and more of a God-like figure. He's a wizard, he came from over the seas, he's an Istari who are like spirits.

3. In the Hall of Kings, is the white the pure white light of the lofty origins of the earlier ages? Or is it the cold whiteness of ice, of that which is frozen in time? And in either case, what then of the columns of black interspersed throughout?
Good question.
I think that the pillars are quite significant as it seems the bottom is white which is holding it up only just (as it were) as the rest of the pillar is taken over by the darkness. The white only comes back at the top and in the middle, which could represent the struggle between good and evil.

4. What do you make of the similarity between the shape of the great emptiness in the center of the Hall of Kings and the shape of the emptiness in the center of the Witch King's mask?
Oh, I never really thought of that before!

5. It's hard to discern from this screencap, but Denethor has clothed himself in black, with only trim in white fur. Perhaps in mourning for his son, but it could also reflect his succumbing to the darkness. In his attempt to master the Palantir, the darkness has consumed him from within and spread outward until just a "fringe" of hope/light remains. What if Denethor's costume had been of a different color? Would it have affected our opinion of his character?
I think we once discussed this previously in Silwen's SCOD: here
So, yeah, in mourning for his son.

6. It's been said that the Hall of Kings here looks like a mausoleum, a tomb. Along the walls are statues of past, deceased Kings. Thinking back to FOTR and Boromir's statement regarding Moria, "This is no mine, itís a tomb!" perhaps his quickness to make that connection reflects his own sense of personal foreboding, but could also the speed with which he thought of a tomb reflect the influence on him of growing up amidst this tomb-like place and its ever-present emphasis on emptiness and death?
I wouldn't really say the Hall of Kings is a tomb, as I never really thought of the statues being a tomb. But I could accept the idea of Boromir's quick realisation of Moria being a tomb maybe because of the Tombs of the Stewards in Gondor since they are covered over by stone. Plus, he has grown up understanding war and the aftermath of it.

7. And to end on a not quite so dreary note - in the Hall of Kings screenshot amidst all of that coldness and emptiness, there is Faramir! The only bit of color in the shot, in his clothing of warm earth browns and soft greens. As if to remind us, "There is always hope!" perhaps?
Oooh, Faramir, good choice! Wink
*coughs* Em, I mean... he does represent hope immensely in my opinion. What I found intriguing about this screencap is that the sun is shining on both him and the vacant throne, which is a sign that Faramir is an ally to Aragorn yet he's standing on the border of the light which could represent that he is torn between his father and Aragorn.

Excellent questions, Loresilme! Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Subject User Time
SCOD: A three-screencap discussion for the week Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Oct 14 2013, 6:50pm
    The great hall Meneldor Send a private message to Meneldor Oct 15 2013, 2:09am
        Chess Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Oct 17 2013, 1:46pm
    Interesting! FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 16 2013, 10:03am
        The sun shining in Loresilme Send a private message to Loresilme Oct 17 2013, 2:15pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.