Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Patty
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 3:26am

Post #126 of 150 (231 views)
Shortcut
Children of Men is indeed excellent... [In reply to] Can't Post

What a bleak future THAT would be!

Permanent address: Into the West

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 12:00pm

Post #127 of 150 (225 views)
Shortcut
Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" [In reply to] Can't Post

My grown daughter and I had wanted to see this in the theater, since it's her favorite Shakespeare play, but it never came to either of our towns, so we waited until she bought the video. She says it's her favorite because it's like "Romeo and Juliet" with a happy ending.

Anyway, I give it ten stars out of ten, my second favorite Shakespeare movie of all time (after Zefferelli's R&J). This was very low-budget, filmed in two weeks in Whedon's house in black and white to save money on lighting. And it's hilarious. It's set in modern times, which is jarring at first, since they're still using the original dialog. You just have to suspend that particular bit of disbelief and get on with it.

I love the way the actors speak the lines as though they were spontaneous thoughts, not declaiming the way we've all heard Shakespeare done. The woman playing Beatrice was particularly wonderful. My daughter recognized most of the actors from other Whedon works; apparently they used to get together at his house and read Shakespeare for fun, so they decided to do this movie. The fun really shows.

There's one scene that's so funny I was almost crying with laughter. It illustrates the real power of "peekaboo" to make us laugh, not only when we're babies but all our lives. This is when Benedick is listening to a conversation he's meant to overhear, and his face keeps appearing and disappearing in the background. It's such a cheap trick, but it works, as does a lot of the other slapstick. I think Shakespeare would have approved of all the slapstick. And the priceless facial expressions that bring the comedy to uproarious life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 12:04pm

Post #128 of 150 (215 views)
Shortcut
I loved Tangled so much [In reply to] Can't Post

that I saw it three times in the theater, once by myself when I couldn't get anyone else to go with me. And then while I was waiting for the DVD to come out, I confess I saw a pirate version several times on the internet with Romanian subtitles. Then when it came out I bought the DVD and the Blu-Ray (even though we don't have a Blu-Ray player) and the art book. There was something about it that really grabbed me.

My daughter said she was particularly moved that the king and queen looked so much like my husband and myself.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2013, 2:35pm

Post #129 of 150 (216 views)
Shortcut
I loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was good to see it in the theater, but I'm sure it was just as nice on video. My favorite scene was in the beginning when the house guests are shown to their rooms, and two men are given what is clearly Joss's daughter's room. It was a nice normal moment amid all the older language.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 3:06pm

Post #130 of 150 (212 views)
Shortcut
That room was mentioned on an interview on, I think, NPR [In reply to] Can't Post

He said that he was a little sad that he'd filmed in black and white, since that meant you couldn't tell how pink that room was. The woman interviewing him said, "Oh, I could tell." :-D

Annael
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 3:25pm

Post #131 of 150 (210 views)
Shortcut
my favorite moment [In reply to] Can't Post

was every second of Nathan Fillion as Dogberry. Every expression on his face, every movement, every line. Especially the bit with the coat.

The man across the aisle from me laughed so hard at those parts I thought he was going to fall out of his seat.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2013, 3:53pm

Post #132 of 150 (209 views)
Shortcut
a friend of mine [In reply to] Can't Post

is bringing over the dvd this week for us to watch. it was playing at my ultra-local theater a while back. this ultra-local theater is a one-screen, vintage 1928 theater that originally showed silents, the new talkies, and vaudeville acts. it's also situated in a charming, older town (a bit department 56 christmas in the city), so its 1928 credentials are in harmony with the rest of the community. bonus -- it's just down the block, and a two-minute walk from my house. : )

it still shows films, but it also still shows live acts (i saw aimee mann there a few years ago; she was +great+). you can also rent it, and people in the town use it for things like dance recitals at the local children's dance schools.

i see i've gone off on a tangent (not unusual), so i will close by saying i'm looking forward to seeing "much ado about nothing." : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Oct 15 2013, 3:54pm)

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 6:25pm

Post #133 of 150 (201 views)
Shortcut
It truly is a touching tale. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it to bits - especially when Eugene and Rapunzel are in the boat out at sea with all the glowing lanterns around them and reflecing in the water singing "And now at last I see the light."
So romantic!

Aww, that was such a sweet thing for your daughter to say. Heart

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 7:53pm

Post #134 of 150 (180 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he was hilarious. [In reply to] Can't Post

We kept thinking of the policemen in "Pirates of Penzance".

Kim
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 8:26pm

Post #135 of 150 (184 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear you liked it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got that in my queue, love Joss Whedon and all the actors in this. Looking forward to watching it even more now.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 8:37pm

Post #136 of 150 (174 views)
Shortcut
Wreck It Ralph, AUJ and various tv shows [In reply to] Can't Post

Wreck It Ralph: this was ok, felt very much for little kids except for the old school video game references for adults. However, I did notice one thing: in the scene where they break into the factory to build her car, the guard at the gate appeared to be a dwarf, and I'm pretty sure he was muttering something about a coin purse. Tongue

AUJ: haven't watched this in several weeks, so decided to pop it in. Still my happy place EvilHeart

Have also been checking out some new and returning tv shows:

Once Upon a Time and Once Upon a Time in Wonderland: ok for now, but not sure if I'll be sticking with these
How I Met Your Mother: wasn't sure if I'd like the entire season set around the wedding weekend, but so far, have been enjoying it
Castle: fun as always
Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D: also not sure about this one yet, but will stick with it for a bit (loved the Avengers)
Big Bang Theory: scavenger hunt episode was really fun ("to the Neil Mobile!") and of course, loved Leonard's request in last week's episode to watch the AUJ EE with director's commentary (except for the fact that it's not actually out yet!)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 9:10pm

Post #137 of 150 (179 views)
Shortcut
have you ever made one of those lanterns? [In reply to] Can't Post

When my kids were little, I used to attend kid/family oriented events at a local nature center. One of them was to make one of those lanterns and set it off over the frozen lake. It was fun and not that hard to do. Although, I live close to the airport and I don't know if there are rules about floating stuff up in the air.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 9:14pm

Post #138 of 150 (176 views)
Shortcut
I deliberately waited for the DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

since I was pretty sure I *needed* to get the dialog :-) ... and would need the closed captions to get them all.

But I had neglected to get it in my Netflix queue so I'm glad for the reminder.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 9:15pm

Post #139 of 150 (175 views)
Shortcut
ooh oooh... Joss needs to do Pirates next! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 9:40pm

Post #140 of 150 (173 views)
Shortcut
That would be lovely, [In reply to] Can't Post

except that the old version is perfect. Kevin Kline will always be the Pirate King to me. That was my kids' favorite movie when they were very little. It would be fun to see a Joss Whedon version, though.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2013, 1:08am

Post #141 of 150 (164 views)
Shortcut
Loved Wreck it Ralph! [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw it with Geeky Son in the theater - he's in his 20's and working on a degree in computer game design, so he's extremely knowledgeable about all the references in it, and was just about collapsed on the floor in laughter several times. So we had to rent it so he could pause it often and explain the references to me.

I've loaned out my AUJ: at my last appointment my massage therapist asked "Do you know anything about this Hobbit movie that's coming out? It looks fantastic!" She hadn't realized it was the second movie! So I gave her the full background, and synopsis of the story, and let her borrow my AUJ so she could watch that before DoS comes out. I'm not worried about lending it, the EE will be out and arriving before too long...Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Kim
Valinor

Oct 16 2013, 1:18am

Post #142 of 150 (177 views)
Shortcut
Fun [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, all the references to old school video games were fun. Has your son read Ready Player One? Tons of geeky references there.

That's very good of you to lend out your copy of AUJ for the sake of getting your massage therapist up to speed. I too try to spread the word far and wide, but I don't think I could part with my copy even though the EE will be arriving soon! It's mine! My own! My Precioussss! Sly

Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 8:16am

Post #143 of 150 (151 views)
Shortcut
No, but I have wanted to. Sounds like you had lots of fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, though, at a certain time of the year I look out the window and see some lanterns floating across the sky.
For what purpose they are for, I do not know.

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 16 2013, 10:20am

Post #144 of 150 (176 views)
Shortcut
I don't think he has! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll put that on my list for his "Christmas stocking", it certainly sounds like it's right up his alley, thank you for the suggestion! Smile

Ah, yes, our Precioussses...yet remember what Aragorn once said, about being able to "cast away" a treasure at need (especially for a good cause)! Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 17 2013, 1:48am

Post #145 of 150 (135 views)
Shortcut
I think some cultures use them for certain celebrations // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rohan

Oct 17 2013, 9:20am

Post #146 of 150 (120 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. I think they do. [In reply to] Can't Post

Quite stunning to see them lighting up the sky. Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.

Misto
Lorien

Oct 17 2013, 9:26am

Post #147 of 150 (133 views)
Shortcut
The weekend's long gone [In reply to] Can't Post

But what I ended up doing last weekend was sort of a follow-up on Gosford Park, so I stuck to servants in big houses: I watched "The remains of the day" for the umptieth time. Still love it, nothing more to sayCool

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 17 2013, 4:44pm

Post #148 of 150 (127 views)
Shortcut
Rear Window [In reply to] Can't Post

Alfred Hitchcock's storytelling is the real star. James Stewart is as good as usual as the everyman caught up in a bizarre situation. Grace Kelly is luminously beautiful, perfect as his too-perfect girlfriend. Background characters are sharply drawn in minimal time with almost no dialog. The did-he-or-didn't-he suspense lasts through the whole movie. Truly a classic.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Kim
Valinor

Oct 17 2013, 11:56pm

Post #149 of 150 (109 views)
Shortcut
I love Rear Window [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my favorite Hitchcock movie, Grace Kelly is perfect, and the way the tension builds up to the final scene is terrific!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18 2013, 7:09pm

Post #150 of 150 (130 views)
Shortcut
Loved that, too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.