Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I will literally cry, if Bolgs design is changed!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

boldog
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 8:18am

Post #1 of 39 (1801 views)
Shortcut
I will literally cry, if Bolgs design is changed! Can't Post

This rumour is starting to grow larger now, and I must say it is taking its toll on me, and im sure a lot of others. How good is Bolgs design?! I mean he looks terryfing, possibly the most scariest looking orc in all of jacksons movies. I also love the fact that he is an actor in prosthetics, and he DOES indeed have traits of Azog in his appearance (skin colour, eyes, nose) But now what? Has Jackson made another last minute change AGAIN! my fears are that Bolg is now CGI, and may not even show up at dol guldur at all. They may have changed his storyline. I had some fears, that he may be that last orc seen jumping in the first DOS trailer. But either way, I hope this is just simply a wrong rumour, and his design is the same. Surely after all the marketing, (toys, posters) and the actual expenses of filming with the prosthetics, Jackson hasn't decided to just scrap the idea. By now many people know what Bolg will look like, so when he shows up on the screen we will know it is him.

By the way I was also wondering, will Bolgs name be spoken or mentioned in the films? No orc in Lotr ever had their name spoken by characters in the movie at all. However in the hobbit, Azog is mentioned at least 5 times, by various characters. (even reffered to in "master" or Pale orc". So that led me to think will Bolg have his name spoken? Jackson did say that these two orcs are the most serious he has delt with and in truth they are definitely more important and dynamical than all the other mere "follower" orcs. Perhaps his name is mentioned by Azog, Beorn, Gandalf, Radagast or necromancer? Also I Personally hope that they do flesh out this father and son orc duo. Peter Jackson let Azog live in these films, so surely he cant have looked past the relationship between these two characters. (who knows? maybe one of the reasons he did let Azog live, was to show him and his son together.) I believe their relationship will be of love/hate. Bolg will respect his father, and Azog does "care" "look out" for his son, but they don't make it obvious to eachother, and they often argue with clashing ideas.
But anyways what are your thoughts?????Angelic

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

tommybhoy
The Shire

Oct 15 2013, 9:25am

Post #2 of 39 (984 views)
Shortcut
i [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they will change him to cgi because they have to change if they are going to do a single second with azog and bolg on screen at the same time. It'd look stupid if one was all cgi and the other all makeup.

jumpin4smoke
The Shire

Oct 15 2013, 12:55pm

Post #3 of 39 (795 views)
Shortcut
Wanting nothing new [In reply to] Can't Post

I was struck one night when i realised that Bolg was the thing i was most looking foward to in DoS. It seemed silly to me since there's a lot to enjoy in #2. I think Bolg was the best creature design i've seen in a long time. Look in his eyes, patched face, long bloody beard showing signs of cannibalism and his weapon were my wallpaper since i saw the picture. If PJ changes him, i promise you we will cry together....

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 39 (750 views)
Shortcut
Time will tell [In reply to] Can't Post

He does look purdy wicked though.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2013, 1:27pm

Post #5 of 39 (760 views)
Shortcut
Count me in... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as someone who will be PO'd if they change Bolg to CGI, ESPECIALLY if it's to make him look more like Azog the Nail-filer, whose presence I find barely tolerable as it is. Not only that, but in general I strongly disliked the cartoonish (and not at all intimidating) look of the CGI Orcs that littered AUJ.

Anyway, while I do agree that Bolg's look thus far is terrifying, I could live with a design tweak as long as he's still Conan Stevens in prosthetics.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Oct 15 2013, 1:36pm)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Oct 15 2013, 1:28pm

Post #6 of 39 (749 views)
Shortcut
Bolg looked awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog and his prominence, not so much

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 1:40pm

Post #7 of 39 (755 views)
Shortcut
Don't you reckon he might look a bit too scary? [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps too much for children, especially since he will be played by an actual human being (as far as we know)? This is just judging from the one picture I've seen of him.

Too scary for me, anyway, and I'm no child. Unimpressed

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2013, 1:41pm

Post #8 of 39 (797 views)
Shortcut
Strongly disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg doesn't have to look exactly like Azog for audiences to make the connection. As far as Bolg's pictures go, he's got enough of Azog's traits to be able to tell. How many other pale white Orcs have we seen thus far, besides Azog and Bolg?

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2013, 1:49pm

Post #9 of 39 (721 views)
Shortcut
Yes, he is very scary-looking... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that's exactly what I think an Orc chieftain should look like.

With all the decapitations and other acts of violence we've seen thus far, I don't think really young kids should be seeing these movies anyway.

deskp
Lorien

Oct 15 2013, 1:56pm

Post #10 of 39 (719 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

They did plenty of shots with cg azog togther with makeup orcs, Fimbul and Yazneg..

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 15 2013, 2:45pm

Post #11 of 39 (658 views)
Shortcut
Do you possibly have a link to an original picture of Bolg? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 3:12pm

Post #12 of 39 (677 views)
Shortcut
Google has loads [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here

And a nice big one, here.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 15 2013, 3:19pm

Post #13 of 39 (769 views)
Shortcut
*Points to top left side of the forum* [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope note! It means we'll have to take him out of the Ring motif! Refresh the page enough times, and Bolg pops up. Unsure

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 15 2013, 3:20pm)

nhui06
Rivendell

Oct 15 2013, 4:04pm

Post #14 of 39 (563 views)
Shortcut
Won't be bothered by it [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that the reason they went CGI with Azog is because orc prosthetic don't look good in 48 fps; probably looks more fake than when filmed in old 24 fps. Like 48 fps or not, PJ is committed to filming it this way. Prosthetic are okay for orcs who do not get close ups or much screen time, but if you want to focus on the character a lot (like Azog since he was given an expanded role), then maybe CGI is needed.

Hey if Bolg gets CGIed, then maybe he has an expanded role too. Anyways I actually like Azog's design so I am fine with the CGI.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 15 2013, 4:53pm

Post #15 of 39 (449 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 7:49pm

Post #16 of 39 (400 views)
Shortcut
I am quite pleased they changed the Azog design. [In reply to] Can't Post

And hope for similar for Bolg. Did not care much for the prosthetics versions.

A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of mens imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold. J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Eurolock
Bree

Oct 15 2013, 7:49pm

Post #17 of 39 (424 views)
Shortcut
Recent announcement from 'The Bridge Direct' was not encouraging...... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The 6" scale Bolg you saw at Toy Fair will not be available this Fall. The Bridge develops and plan many months ahead of time, all while trying to stay true to the source material. However, during the creative process of filmmaking, characters may change and so our toy program adapts accordingly to reflect the final vision of the film."

Doesn't sound good for the original Bolg design....

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 7:53pm

Post #18 of 39 (357 views)
Shortcut
Well you *could* add more pics of Thorin up there you know Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope note! It means we'll have to take him out of the Ring motif! Refresh the page enough times, and Bolg pops up. Unsure

If you have to make changes.

Just a suggestion.

(Please).

Laugh

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 8:05pm

Post #19 of 39 (330 views)
Shortcut
I second that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just think Brethil, we still have 2 more movie's worth of pictures that could be included! EvilHeart

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 15 2013, 8:18pm

Post #20 of 39 (316 views)
Shortcut
Very Happy thought Kim!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Just think Brethil, we still have 2 more movie's worth of pictures that could be included! EvilHeart

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Snaga
Lorien

Oct 15 2013, 8:22pm

Post #21 of 39 (372 views)
Shortcut
Maybe it will be both, and that's what is creating the confusion? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe the orc Yazneg was some CGI, but also with some live action prosthetic shots. Most notably a couple of the shot when the orcs & wargs had the Dwarves cornered at the cave/ tunnel entrance that led to Rivendell just before the elves got there. There's some shots of Yazneg where it looks clear to me it is an actor wearing facial prosthetics.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 8:56pm

Post #22 of 39 (319 views)
Shortcut
I hate the "cater to children" thing [In reply to] Can't Post

These movies aren't really meant for little kids. Although the book is considered a "children's book", most kids don't give a crap about LOTR/Hobbit. Most kids wanna see the new animated movie coming out than lining up for the new Hobbit film. Sure, some children might enjoy it, but don't change the film just because "it's sca-wey".

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 9:13pm

Post #23 of 39 (293 views)
Shortcut
Uh. [In reply to] Can't Post

No, they changed to CGI because of time constraints.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 10:06pm

Post #24 of 39 (278 views)
Shortcut
One thing I must mention [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to see AUJ many times (in London), and on a couple of occasions there were several children running around with swords (mercifully after the film). They were probably around the age of 10 so children do see these films.

In Reply To
These movies aren't really meant for little kids. Although the book is considered a "children's book", most kids don't give a crap about LOTR/Hobbit. Most kids wanna see the new animated movie coming out than lining up for the new Hobbit film. Sure, some children might enjoy it, but don't change the film just because "it's sca-wey".

Ffnir
Rohan

Oct 15 2013, 10:53pm

Post #25 of 39 (255 views)
Shortcut
If they didn't want to traumatize anyone... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's the great goblin they should have redesigned. That chin is the most disturbing thing in all PJ's middle earth

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.