Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
There's been a fiasco? Did I miss something?

dormouse
Valinor

Oct 15 2013, 6:22pm

Views: 563
Shortcut
There's been a fiasco? Did I miss something? [In reply to] Can't Post

It appears that they have changed their ideas about the lead orcs. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me, given that Peter Jackson took over a film which had had a lot of work done on it already, and then had the three-film split agreed at a late stage. I'm sure all this will be explained in the EEs at some point, though AUJ may be too soon if the explanation involves spoilers for the next two films.

But I haven't seen anything you could describe as a fiasco. The point of the films is to tell the story of The Hobbit - enlarged, as we know, with background material - and so far as I can see, that's what they're doing. Providing they preserve the heart of the story and tell it well, I can't see that it actually matters which orc turns up to do extraneous things. I'd prefer to see Bolg leading the army in TABA, since that's what he's supposed to do, but if they've thought up a reason to change that OK, I'll wait and see what the reason is. So far all I know is that they've brought Azog more to the fore because they like the character, and presumably they've come up with some storyline for him. No clues yet about Bolg, but Peter Jackson has spoken about looking at father/son relationships in the second film, and he did mention Azog and Bolg in that context. As for Yazneg, I haven't a clue which of them he is and since he's only made up I can't see that it matters whether he's in the film or not!

(You may have guessed I don't like orcs much!)

Subject User Time
Explanation of the Azog/Bolg/Yanzeg Fiasco gliido Send a private message to gliido Oct 15 2013, 3:18pm
    Hopefully we'll get an explanation Dcole4 Send a private message to Dcole4 Oct 15 2013, 3:44pm
    There's been a fiasco? Did I miss something? dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Oct 15 2013, 6:22pm
        Fiasco probably wasn't the right word... gliido Send a private message to gliido Oct 15 2013, 6:52pm
        Yazneg DjU Send a private message to DjU Oct 15 2013, 7:12pm
        Tolkien did a much better job establishing credible character motivations on three occasions... Bladerunner Send a private message to Bladerunner Oct 16 2013, 1:39am
    A bottle of Italian wine? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 15 2013, 7:02pm
    I'm sure we'll get some background on this. 100%! Lio Send a private message to Lio Oct 16 2013, 12:38am
        The original intention Dcole4 Send a private message to Dcole4 Oct 16 2013, 2:06am
            This seems plausible... Captain Salt Send a private message to Captain Salt Oct 16 2013, 7:02pm
    I still wonder if Bolg was originally introduced in the Out of the Frying Pan scene sycorax82 Send a private message to sycorax82 Oct 16 2013, 1:55pm
    My "Theory" gliido Send a private message to gliido Oct 17 2013, 5:09am
        Too bad it didn't happen this way... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Oct 17 2013, 11:19pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.