Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Shore Leave:
Have you seen or met anyone associated with PJ's movies? And what were your impressions?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Grey Elf
Gunner

Oct 14 2013, 1:19pm

Post #1 of 34 (762 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen or met anyone associated with PJ's movies? And what were your impressions? Can't Post

Only two for me Frown. Saw both Howard Shore and Billy Boyd at a LOTR concert many years ago. The concert was awesome -- natch! -- and HS seemed quite shy. Could have met Billy at the reception afterwards but was overcome by shyness ... and the very long line Wink. Perhaps it was the suit he was wearing but I was struck by how much more muscular he seemed in person than I expected from Pippin.

So, who has made better use of their opportunities than I have?

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 1:46pm

Post #2 of 34 (635 views)
Shortcut
I've been lucky to meet several [In reply to] Can't Post

After the original LOTR movies, TORN hosted a few One Ring Conventions, and I attended the first two. I was able to "meet" Dominic Monaghan, Billy Boyd, Elijah Wood, and Sean Astin while going through an autograph line. Daniel Falconer was there too, and I got to chat with him about his non-LOTR art, which is amazing. Alan Lee came to my town for a book-signing, and I met Howard Shore a few times. Doug Adams lives in my town, and I've met him a couple of times.

I've also been fortunate to spend time with several of the behind-the-scenes folks. Richard Taylor and his wife Tania Rodger are very warm and welcoming. Richard is a true nerd and gets genuinely excited about geeky moments. TORN shares space with WETA during San Diego Comic Con so I was there a great deal last year, while working for TORN.

I got to know Daniel Reeve, who drew the maps for the movies, during a special TORN project, and we met for a drink when I was in New Zealand. I met Philippa Boyens last year at a NZ Premier party, and I shook hands with Peter Jackson on the red carpet before the first Hobbit movie.

A bunch of us hung out with some of the dwarf actors last year in New Zealand during the premier party, which was hosted by Jed Brophy. Jed is great - very funny, he has this energy all around him that he never seems to stop moving. Every single person I have met that is connected with the movies is open and friendly and passionate about what they do and genuinely love the opportunity to work on the movies. For many of the WETA folks, they feel they have a dream job and a great number of them have been Tolkien fans for years.

One of my favorite moments was meeting Peter Hambleton, who plays Gloin. He was at the NZ premier party, and just walked in and hung out for a couple hours. He said that the whole cast had been hearing about the fans, and how great we are, for months from the crew, and they were all looking forward to meeting us. So he stayed at the party just to be with us fans. He was lovely, and offered my group a ride back to our hotel in his taxi. We had transportation, so we declined, but it was such a nice gesture.

There are many of us here who have been able to meet, and spend time with, the movie folks. Ask gramma to tell the story of how she came to hold Richard's Oscar statue!

Lily Fairbairn
First Mate

Oct 14 2013, 2:30pm

Post #3 of 34 (603 views)
Shortcut
While I can't begin to match entmaiden's total... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've been lucky enough to meet Daniel Reeve, Daniel Falconer, and Richard Taylor and Tania Rogers, plus several other Weta people whose names, sadly, I never did catch. Every one of them is delightful and, as Jane Austen would say, amiable.

I've never met any of the actors, though I know quite a few people who have and who, like entmaiden, have nice things to say about them.

The Grey Elf
Gunner

Oct 14 2013, 2:32pm

Post #4 of 34 (621 views)
Shortcut
When you refer to a "Richard" nowadays, you need to specify which one ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I automatically thought Armitage, not Taylor, when you mentioned the Oscar statue which caused momentary confusion, LOL (though it would be awesome if RA had an Oscar in his future!).

Thanks for the post and aren't you one lucky duck!

Old Toby
Gunner

Oct 14 2013, 3:26pm

Post #5 of 34 (616 views)
Shortcut
I consider myself very fortunate to have met a good many of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

First at one of the ORC conventions in San Diego, I 'met' Billy Boyd, David Wenham and Andy Serkis. Andy's meeting was particularly memorable because it wasn't just an autograph signing. He actually came and sat at my table and I had a nice chat with him (mostly about King Kong, which he had just finished filming!)

Then I met one of the artists at Weta Workshop, who took me for a tour through the workshop. It was amazing! And while I was there I got to meet Richard Taylor, who was kind enough to spend a few minutes chatting. Really nice, down to earth geeky guy! Love him!

I met the sound engineer Michael Hedges, who won two Oscars (I got to hold one of them...they're really heavy!) for his work in LOTR and King Kong.

And I, like many others here, went to the World Premier of The Hobbit:AUJ in Wellington and went to the spectacular One Ring/Red Carpet party there. This was really the highlight of my trip, even overshadowing the actual red carpet premier!! Jed Brophy, Peter Hambleton, William Kircher, Kiran Shah, Elijah Wood were all there and I got to meet each one of them! They are all terrific people, very warm and welcoming to the fans, and were very approachable and gracious.

But the high point of my trip (and one of the high points of my life) was meeting PJ himself there at the party! I, like others, got a photo with him and his autograph on my party ticket, and got to say a few words to him about our Tolkien group here in Hawaii!

Now my dream is to meet Richard Armitage and Benedict Cumberbatch!Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Oct 14 2013, 3:32pm)

Old Toby
Gunner

Oct 14 2013, 3:42pm

Post #6 of 34 (592 views)
Shortcut
I forgot to add about PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

that he impressed me at the party so much! He is so humble, so appreciative of his fans and the fans of his films! He stayed for several hours so everyone could meet him and get his autograph or take a photo or say a few words to him. He's so far removed from the movie mega-directors of Hollywood who would never dream of doing such a thing! (And I love how he dresses so casually, even on the Red Carpet!) You couldn't ask for a nicer more gracious guy!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Magpie
Captain

Oct 14 2013, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 34 (604 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore [In reply to] Can't Post

I had the great honor to sit across him at lunch event organized by maybe 30 soundtrack fans and followers of Doug's blog during the FOTR Live event in NYC.

I had heard, before that event, from a extremely credible source, that Howard was aware of my website, he approved of my website, and he even - from time to time - used my website as a reference. That trilled me beyond belief and would have been enough.

To meet him was beyond thrilling. We spoke briefly (he was a popular guy) and he took my hand when we greeted each other. My impression: he is one of the most generous, giving, gentle people I've ever met.

I wrote a little about it here. I also met his wife, Elizabeth Cotnoir, as well as Doug Adams and his fiancee, now wife. Elizabeth was tickled about the buttons I had made that said "I heart HS." She said she would make all her staff members wear them. "You heart my husband." she laughed.

I really cannot leave that without saying how pained and almost angry it makes me to hear people speak about him in unkind or ungenerous ways. It is easy to talk smack about people you don't know and have never met. But it doesn't make them non-people. I wish people would put someone they really care about in the position of the person they wish to talk smack about (and one can come up with all sorts of reasons and excuses about why it's *okay* to questions people's work ethics, commitment, ability to get along with others, etc... its *smack* folks. You talk smack you should own it). If it wouldn't be okay to speak disparagingly about that person you care about who might someday find themselves in the spotlight... then don't speak that way about the person you don't know. Especially when you don't have any real knowledge or insight about the situation and are only speculating.

I have so much admiration and respect for Howard that was formed as I read about him, listened to (or read) his interviews and commentaries and then finally met him and saw how giving and patient he is with his fans.

I've also met Orlando and Peter Jackson in my dreams. Does that count? lol They were really lovely in my dreams!

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Oct 14 2013, 4:44pm)

Magpie
Captain

Oct 14 2013, 4:26pm

Post #8 of 34 (581 views)
Shortcut
oh... I also met David Salo [In reply to] Can't Post

Another very quiet, gentle soul. I noticed his name tag at the NYC Friday night social was in Elvish. He took it off and gave it to me. :-)

Aragorn's Sexy Scar
Powder Monkey

Oct 14 2013, 4:46pm

Post #9 of 34 (580 views)
Shortcut
I've stood feet away from Orlando! [In reply to] Can't Post

I took a trip to London to see Orlando in 'A Celebration' and I dashed outside to get a prime spot for when Orlando came out to sign autographs.I managed to get Orlando to sign the program but I couldn't take a photo at the same time, unfortunately.There must have been 300 people outside the theatre waiting for him to appear.It felt like Beatlemania Sly

I saw TTT at the Royal Albert Hall in London and Howard Shore was signing copies of the CD.I couldn't stop to get an autograph as I had to find my way back to my hotel in the dark.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 5:50pm

Post #10 of 34 (570 views)
Shortcut
LOL - Taylor! [In reply to] Can't Post

To some extent, I feel bad for Richard Armitage. He can't just hang out with us like the rest of the dwarf actors can because he would get mobbed. Elijah Wood has the same problem - he walked around San Diego Comic Con before FOTR was released and almost no one recognized him - except the TORN folk of course! He can't do that now, and Richard Armitage can't either.

I get the impression that Martin Freeman prefers to not mingle - he likes to keep his professional life separate. That's fine with me.

Ataahua
The Kraken / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 6:31pm

Post #11 of 34 (557 views)
Shortcut
Daniel Falconer [In reply to] Can't Post

took a small group of us on a tour of Weta Workshop, and it was just a bunch of fun-loving geeks hanging out. :)

I knew Sarah McLeod (who plays Rosie Cotton) years before she was in the film - she's as smiley and welcoming in real life as Rosie is in the LOTR films.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
First Mate

Oct 14 2013, 7:17pm

Post #12 of 34 (551 views)
Shortcut
No, but I've met Entmaiden, so that should count for something :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Ataahua
The Kraken / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 7:49pm

Post #13 of 34 (537 views)
Shortcut
:D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelvarhin
First Mate

Oct 15 2013, 7:41am

Post #14 of 34 (506 views)
Shortcut
Win! :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

Kelvarhin
First Mate

Oct 15 2013, 7:44am

Post #15 of 34 (542 views)
Shortcut
I've interviewed a couple [In reply to] Can't Post

but not sure if that counts WinkLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

The Grey Elf
Gunner

Oct 15 2013, 12:08pm

Post #16 of 34 (500 views)
Shortcut
That counts. Spill! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
First Mate

Oct 15 2013, 7:18pm

Post #17 of 34 (508 views)
Shortcut
Magpie this is a great and sweet story [In reply to] Can't Post

and thanks for sharing it!

It touches on something that has been on my mind for a while...well a decade or so really, since FOTR came out and the cruel comments made about Liv Tyler disconnected me completely from the Message Boards for a few years.

I realize we must discuss the work of this group of people: its a fan site of the material, and they really are 'it' as far as discussion targets. I accept that - there aren't ten franchises making Tolkien films out there to spread the harsh light of the critical gallows around.

But it does really REALLY bother me when personal attacks and snarky comments are made about these people: public professional or not they are still people. I don't feel that critically and negatively discussing their appearance, their purported 'motives' or their personal lives is really needed or relevant. Its in the ToS that we don't post about other members, but about the opinion expressed. I would so like to see that courtesy extended to the band of folks that work on the things we follow so closely: treat them as Honorary Members, and apply the ToS to them. Discuss their work certainly, but the personal and unkind comments...regard them as here in spirit. Because they might be.

And goof for you - I'm sure Orlando and SPJ are quite as nice as your dreams were Magpie! SmileAngelic

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gunner

Oct 15 2013, 7:48pm

Post #18 of 34 (486 views)
Shortcut
I agree Brethil [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't feel that PJ and crew and their actions should be sacrosanct and I certainly don't feel that "they can do no wrong". Discussions about likes and dislikes of their interpretations of Tolkien's world are meat and drink for these boards and rightly so. However, gratuitous personal insults unrelated to these interpretations should be treated the same way as personal insults to other board members imo
PS
"And goof for you - I'm sure Orlando and SPJ are quite as nice as your dreams were Magpie!"

Think it may be you who goofed here Brethil!WinkTongue

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Brethil
First Mate

Oct 15 2013, 8:01pm

Post #19 of 34 (477 views)
Shortcut
hmm...maybe Elaen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
PS
"And goof for you - I'm sure Orlando and SPJ are quite as nice as your dreams were Magpie!"

Think it may be you who goofed here Brethil!WinkTongue

Well you know what I meant...!!!!! TongueBlush One of my famous typos strikes again. Laugh

(Of course GOOD for you, Magpie!)

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Magpie
Captain

Oct 15 2013, 9:02pm

Post #20 of 34 (471 views)
Shortcut
I thought goof worked just as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

although the structure of the sentence might have been different.

:-)

I was quite the goof on Orlando for awhile. I mean... embarrassingly so. Blush

My dream about Jackson was this one (from 2007 ... I shared it with some friends)

last night I had a dream that a bunch of TORn sibs were hanging out in an area attached to a larger area, but a bit private. Like an employee lunch room or teacher's break room. Peter Jackson was there and he was brainstorming with us about how he was going to make the Hobbit. The strategies involved how he would get the 'rights', although I can't remember any specifics (And I don't think my dreams get that specific.) There was a bit of hush, hush but the significant part was, he was using TORn as his base outside of the industry so that he could execute the 'coup' (from NewLine's stance) and he was genuinely interested in our ideas and we were active partners in the process. (As opposed to this being a focus group or publicity stunt)

The atmosphere reminded me of my best collaborative situations. I had an excellent one in my old education job with the curriculum director. We balanced and supported and supplemented each other perfectly. And I had a similar experience with the BNU LOTR class instructor when I was his TA.

It was a pleasurable dream. I'm glad I woke up to remember it. If I'd continued to sleep, I probably wouldn't have.

I don't think I ever shared any of my dreams about Orlando (and thus they weren't retained in my memory). But lump together all the best parts of Pride and Prejudice, North and South, and the like... and you'll get the idea. I meet him. He's really, really lovely. And we make a connection. It didn't get any racier than that. :-)

Magpie
Captain

Oct 15 2013, 9:04pm

Post #21 of 34 (480 views)
Shortcut
I like your idea of extending an 'honorary membership' status to folks [In reply to] Can't Post

...who aren't actual members but we choose to discuss.

dormouse
First Mate

Oct 16 2013, 8:26am

Post #22 of 34 (467 views)
Shortcut
Could I just cheer your comments... and applaud, and things... [In reply to] Can't Post

It really bothers me too when I see posts which speculate on the motives or health of the people involved in these films, or imagine disagreements between them, and I've often thought how good it would be if the courtesy TORn members are expected to show one another could be extended to them as well. They're people, just like us - warm and friendly when you meet them and enthusiastic about their work and about sharing it - nice, ordinary people, not a commodity to be picked over and pulled apart.

I'm with you on this 100%!

Starling
First Mate

Oct 16 2013, 8:41am

Post #23 of 34 (459 views)
Shortcut
I have nothing to add except [In reply to] Can't Post

*wild applause*.

Thanks, Magpie for your initial comment, and everyone else for the ones following, regarding the treatment of those involved in the making of the films. I agree with it all.

As an aside, my only claim to fame is nearly getting run over by a Hobbit cast member many years ago. Does that count? Ooh, and a friend of my sister worked on The Hobbit, and my cousin worked for Weta. And a friend of a friend was a bearded lady rider in Rohan...really clutching at straws here....Laugh

Brethil
First Mate

Oct 16 2013, 6:28pm

Post #24 of 34 (421 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Magpie. It feels right that way [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I like your idea of extending an 'honorary membership' status to folks ...who aren't actual members but we choose to discuss.

And granted I am egregiously guilty of about half a million Thorin comments - but they are about a character, not the actor, so I alibi myself there! Laugh

Your dream about Hobbit rights is an interesting bit of subconscious maybe? Wanting the project to happen?

Brethil
First Mate

Oct 16 2013, 6:33pm

Post #25 of 34 (419 views)
Shortcut
Exactly Dormouse!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It really bothers me too when I see posts which speculate on the motives or health of the people involved in these films, or imagine disagreements between them, and I've often thought how good it would be if the courtesy TORn members are expected to show one another could be extended to them as well. They're people, just like us - warm and friendly when you meet them and enthusiastic about their work and about sharing it - nice, ordinary people, not a commodity to be picked over and pulled apart.

I'm with you on this 100%!

You said exactly what I feel too. Its all true! Thanks for saying it!!!!!
I know there are many of us who feel and post this way - one reason I enjoy being here versus anywhere else (from what I read anyway.) Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.