Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: A three-screencap discussion for the week

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 14 2013, 6:50pm

Post #1 of 5 (566 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: A three-screencap discussion for the week Can't Post

Going to take a liberty with the SCOD format this week and present the three screencaps for the week in one post.

Let's take a moment to look at the use of the colors white and black in these screencaps.

In the first, we have Gandalf, Shadowfax, and the light from Gandalf's staff all in their bright-white-light-ness.

In the second, we have the Hall of Kings. Why is this hall of power specifically stark white and stark black? One extreme or the other?

In the third, we have the Witch King, and where his being should be there is only complete and utter darkness, no light gets in, no light escapes, it appears as a depthless, endless black hole from which there is no escape.

Some thoughts:

1. What are your thoughts on this progression from light to dark?

2. Who and what are Gandalf, Shadowfax and Gandalf's staff that they are of such purity of color?

3. In the Hall of Kings, is the white the pure white light of the lofty origins of the earlier ages? Or is it the cold whiteness of ice, of that which is frozen in time? And in either case, what then of the columns of black interspersed throughout?

4. What do you make of the similarity between the shape of the great emptiness in the center of the Hall of Kings and the shape of the emptiness in the center of the Witch King's mask?

6. It's hard to discern from this screencap, but Denethor has clothed himself in black, with only trim in white fur. Perhaps in mourning for his son, but it could also reflect his succumbing to the darkness. In his attempt to master the Palantir, the darkness has consumed him from within and spread outward until just a "fringe" of hope/light remains. What if Denethor's costume had been of a different color? Would it have affected our opinion of his character?

7. It's been said that the Hall of Kings here looks like a mausoleum, a tomb. Along the walls are statues of past, deceased Kings. Thinking back to FOTR and Boromir's statement regarding Moria, "This is no mine, itís a tomb!" perhaps his quickness to make that connection reflects his own sense of personal foreboding, but could also the speed with which he thought of a tomb reflect the influence on him of growing up amidst this tomb-like place and its ever-present emphasis on emptiness and death?

8. And to end on a not quite so dreary note - in the Hall of Kings screenshot amidst all of that coldness and emptiness, there is Faramir! The only bit of color in the shot, in his clothing of warm earth browns and soft greens. As if to remind us, "There is always hope!" perhaps? :-).

Thanks for visiting, and please feel free to share your thoughts and perspectives :-).

Loresilme

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 15 2013, 2:09am

Post #2 of 5 (392 views)
Shortcut
The great hall [In reply to] Can't Post

with its carved figures and black and white color scheme makes me think of a game of chess. I suspect Denethor is a chess master who sits back and moves pieces as he will, thinking only of the game, not of the pieces (except for Boromir). I don't think he makes allowance for the personal nature of the ones involved in conflict; he only looks at his maps, sees that his position has no hope from a practical point of view, and concludes that Sauron has him checkmated. Soon he will resign, knocking down his chess king, which he sees as himself.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 16 2013, 10:03am

Post #3 of 5 (393 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What are your thoughts on this progression from light to dark?
I thought you chose great screencaps as for the first picture Gandalf is on the right, Faramir and Denethor are in the middle, and on the left (which is usually represented as evil) is the Witch King.
Gandalf's white, Denethor and Faramir are in both and white, and the Which King is dark.
It shows that it really is like a chess board.

2. Who and what are Gandalf, Shadowfax and Gandalf's staff that they are of such purity of colour?
Well, the white shows that Gandalf is not a human and more of a God-like figure. He's a wizard, he came from over the seas, he's an Istari who are like spirits.

3. In the Hall of Kings, is the white the pure white light of the lofty origins of the earlier ages? Or is it the cold whiteness of ice, of that which is frozen in time? And in either case, what then of the columns of black interspersed throughout?
Good question.
I think that the pillars are quite significant as it seems the bottom is white which is holding it up only just (as it were) as the rest of the pillar is taken over by the darkness. The white only comes back at the top and in the middle, which could represent the struggle between good and evil.

4. What do you make of the similarity between the shape of the great emptiness in the center of the Hall of Kings and the shape of the emptiness in the center of the Witch King's mask?
Oh, I never really thought of that before!

5. It's hard to discern from this screencap, but Denethor has clothed himself in black, with only trim in white fur. Perhaps in mourning for his son, but it could also reflect his succumbing to the darkness. In his attempt to master the Palantir, the darkness has consumed him from within and spread outward until just a "fringe" of hope/light remains. What if Denethor's costume had been of a different color? Would it have affected our opinion of his character?
I think we once discussed this previously in Silwen's SCOD: here
So, yeah, in mourning for his son.

6. It's been said that the Hall of Kings here looks like a mausoleum, a tomb. Along the walls are statues of past, deceased Kings. Thinking back to FOTR and Boromir's statement regarding Moria, "This is no mine, itís a tomb!" perhaps his quickness to make that connection reflects his own sense of personal foreboding, but could also the speed with which he thought of a tomb reflect the influence on him of growing up amidst this tomb-like place and its ever-present emphasis on emptiness and death?
I wouldn't really say the Hall of Kings is a tomb, as I never really thought of the statues being a tomb. But I could accept the idea of Boromir's quick realisation of Moria being a tomb maybe because of the Tombs of the Stewards in Gondor since they are covered over by stone. Plus, he has grown up understanding war and the aftermath of it.

7. And to end on a not quite so dreary note - in the Hall of Kings screenshot amidst all of that coldness and emptiness, there is Faramir! The only bit of color in the shot, in his clothing of warm earth browns and soft greens. As if to remind us, "There is always hope!" perhaps?
Oooh, Faramir, good choice! Wink
*coughs* Em, I mean... he does represent hope immensely in my opinion. What I found intriguing about this screencap is that the sun is shining on both him and the vacant throne, which is a sign that Faramir is an ally to Aragorn yet he's standing on the border of the light which could represent that he is torn between his father and Aragorn.

Excellent questions, Loresilme! Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 17 2013, 1:46pm

Post #4 of 5 (300 views)
Shortcut
Chess [In reply to] Can't Post

Very true, it does resemble a great chessboard! And interestingly, to your point - that Denethor "concludes that Sauron has him checkmated" - Denethor is sitting there, all by himself - deserted (as he sees it) by all his supporting 'pieces'. The king only is left on the board, waiting now to be checkmated!

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 17 2013, 2:15pm

Post #5 of 5 (361 views)
Shortcut
The sun shining in [In reply to] Can't Post

Aha! Quite so, the sun shining in as Faramir stands there -

he does represent hope immensely in my opinion

there is something that shines even brighter than the icy white of the floors of the Hall, there is the brilliant and warm bright light of the Sun, of hope.

I also felt there was something about the design of the black columns and the white pillars:

it seems the bottom is white which is holding it up only just (as it were) as the rest of the pillar is taken over by the darkness.

that seemed disharmonious, almost as if the darkness was dripping downwards or creeping upwards.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.