Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Will you go to the midnight screening of DOS?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Will you go to the midnight screening of DOS?
Yes
No - I'll go at a more humane time
No - I'll wait for the DVD/Blu-ray/UV
Other
View Results (62 votes)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 2:58am

Post #1 of 35 (469 views)
Shortcut
Will you go to the midnight screening of DOS? Can't Post

Tickets go on sale on 21 November, so which session will you book for?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Oct 11 2013, 2:58am)

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 3:02am

Post #2 of 35 (297 views)
Shortcut
No. I'm not a midnight person anymore. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll go the next day at about noon. Like I first saw Fellowship.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 3:15am

Post #3 of 35 (288 views)
Shortcut
Yep!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the midnight screening experience of this franchise. *Nearly* everyone there is a big fan, and there is always a fantastic energy in the room. People cheer as the trailers before the movie end, as the opening title sequence begins/end credits come on, and laughter (*and fun*!!) are always aplenty.

They are always very memorable nights. It's the one time Tolkien fans really get to bond in a physical way. We may not be in the exact same theater, but we're all consuming the same beloved product in a communal setting.

Ah, I'm getting excited just thinking about it now. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:13am

Post #4 of 35 (286 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been to a midnight showing before, so I figure this is a good one to go to. Of course I'll also be booking tickets opening weekend at a more reasonable hour. I figure this will be a trial to determine whether I do it for TABA. Need to see if I can stay awake until 3am since that will be a very important final hour to see!

Kim
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:17am

Post #5 of 35 (287 views)
Shortcut
Yay, that sounds like so much fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

Last year, we couldn't get tickets until Sat night, and I was just about the only person "woohoo-ing" in that audience.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 8:00am

Post #6 of 35 (274 views)
Shortcut
The UK didn't have a midnight screening of AUJ last year. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have my fingers crossed they do this year. I've noticed they have a midnight screening of The Hunger Games, so there's some hope.

If there is, I will go!

Elizabeth
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 8:11am

Post #7 of 35 (290 views)
Shortcut
Maybe! It's a special day... [In reply to] Can't Post

...being my son's 50th birthday, and I think he has plans. But I'll be there (Plano, TX), and he's a MAJOR Tolkien fan, so it's very likely that we'll party and then go! Especially since he has to work the next night!

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 3:01pm

Post #8 of 35 (260 views)
Shortcut
My BFF and I want to go at midnight [In reply to] Can't Post

but none of the kids want to miss school Friday. (maybe we will sneak to the midnight show, bring the kids Friday night. Hmmm....)

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 3:28pm

Post #9 of 35 (264 views)
Shortcut
Nope. I'm too old for that kind of shenanigans. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
The honest answer, though, is that I'd probably sleep through it, so I might as well save my money for when I'll be alert enough to appreciate it.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:42pm

Post #10 of 35 (261 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Somehow we seem to miss out on things like this- certainly in my area there are no midnight showings and I've never heard of there being a Trilogy Tuesday type of event around here. Maybe they have them in London or other main cities, I don't knowMad

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 10:29pm

Post #11 of 35 (239 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a vehicle, so I'm afraid not... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably end up going on Sunday afternoon, like I did last year. If we were able to save our oldest theater from demolition (unfortunately, we couldn't), I would be able to, since that theater was only fifteen minutes away. Our newest theater (though it's almost four years old, so it's not that new anymore) is about an hour away, and since mom doesn't like me walking at the wee hours of the morning, I'll have to wait until later. Like with AUJ, when it first hits theaters, it will playing in our UltraAVX theater (that's an awesome auditorium, by the way), which has reserved seating, so I won't have to worry about it selling out. The question is how close to the screen do I want to sit without getting a headache (especially if it's in the new 48fps 3D like it was the first week of AUJ last year)? I'll probably go about five or six seats back from the screen (which is huge in the UltraAVX auditorium) like I did last year.Smile

RangerLady23
Lorien

Oct 12 2013, 8:06pm

Post #12 of 35 (212 views)
Shortcut
Oh, totally [In reply to] Can't Post

I went to AUJ last year with my mom and we LOVED it! I will certainly go again. Awesome experience

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 12 2013, 8:12pm

Post #13 of 35 (215 views)
Shortcut
Even if they did do a midnight screening in the UK... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'd go at a more humane time.
Plus, I think a few weeks after it's released would be a better time to go because the cinema is quiet and can enjoy it more (in my opinion).

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 12 2013, 8:40pm

Post #14 of 35 (209 views)
Shortcut
It was a blast. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a surprisingly diverse audience (speaking of age). I saw people from about every age demographic. Several people were dressed up in costume, too! I saw a neat Gandalf costue, as well as someone who actually brought a fake sword. (Except no one could tell it was fake, at first. Lots of weird looks went his way before we knew it wasn't real. Tongue)

Ah, too bad you didn't have any "woohoo" partners with you last year. If nothing else, you'll have plenty of company here to squeal with. Cool I think last year I went twice opening week. Once for midnight, the other being a matinee screening (matinees are actually really neat, too. Totally different crowd-much more relaxed and casual. Lots of fun, but more mature in a way.).

It's all fun. Smile

Kim
Valinor

Oct 12 2013, 9:24pm

Post #15 of 35 (208 views)
Shortcut
You can wait a few weeks!?! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's willpower! I plan to go twice opening weekend! Tongue

Rohan

Oct 12 2013, 9:38pm

Post #16 of 35 (204 views)
Shortcut
Haha, yeah. Absurd I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

(blame my older siste for the willpower to wait a few weeks Tongue) I also hate the overcrowded atmosphere of a cinema... ^^;
Sometimes things are worth the long wait.

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 10:59pm

Post #17 of 35 (215 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in no rush. I know I'll see it, and I'd much rather do so at a time that suits me, and that will be 'off-peak'. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 13 2013, 2:44am

Post #18 of 35 (189 views)
Shortcut
Me too Kim! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wow, that's willpower! I plan to go twice opening weekend! Tongue

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 13 2013, 3:17am

Post #19 of 35 (187 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

I ALWAYS go to the midnight shows for LotR & Hobbit! Last year I wore my Nazgul outfit. This year I'm making a new "Hobbit" costume. :)

Rohan

Oct 13 2013, 8:13am

Post #20 of 35 (177 views)
Shortcut
Well... I suppose that's not as absurd as I thought.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 13 2013, 8:36am

Post #21 of 35 (180 views)
Shortcut
Lol, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm as absurd as they come. I prefer a mostly empty theatre.
One of my favourite movie experiences was when I was the only person in the theatre. I kept changing seats just because I could. At the end they turned out all the lights and I had to feel my way back to the exit...I think they forgot I was there. Laugh

Rohan

Oct 13 2013, 9:58am

Post #22 of 35 (185 views)
Shortcut
Aww, that is a little shame that you had to feel your way out of there [In reply to] Can't Post

But I suppose that was cool to have the theatre all to yourself.
I'd really like to have that for The Hobbit: DoS

I must confess that going on the first day it was out woth all the fans is not such a bad thing. I went on New Year's Eve with my big sister to see AUJ and surprisingly it was quite full - but they had no sense of humour. We were having hysterics and you could see from the corners of your eyes that people were looking around at us as if they didn't seem to understand the jokes (I believe they were there more for the action than the humour). I was all 'Come on people! Where's your sense of humour?!' (in my head of course, I'd not have the guts to yell that in a cinema). I was laughing all the way through it and I found it somewhat awkward.
I want to feel part of a group who appreciates the films rather than sitting with those who find the films lame (which they aren't!!!)

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 13 2013, 1:34pm

Post #23 of 35 (197 views)
Shortcut
I think I'd be a little freaked out.. [In reply to] Can't Post

being the only one in a cinema- but I agree, I like them not too full. I have had too many film viewings spoilt by people chatting, using their phones, groups of inanely giggling people of all ages. I'm not sure why people go to the cinema when they want to spend the whole time texting, on Facebook or mucking around- it's not like it's that cheap to go.
Curmudgeonly rant over, I like to think that I will go on the opening weekend, however, probably on the SundayAngelic

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 13 2013, 5:38pm

Post #24 of 35 (207 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching it for the first time in a theatre packed with fellow fans who'll appreciate the bits amd references that people who haven't read the books will miss is the best way to see the movie. I'll definitely go if I can, and at the moment it looks like I should be able to.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 15 2013, 1:16am

Post #25 of 35 (219 views)
Shortcut
No - I have to wait [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the LOTR movies, I've seen the movies with my siblings, and the only time we are together is Christmas. We will probably go the day after Christmas this year.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.