posting replies to subthread instead of main thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 8 2008, 2:28pm

Post #1 of 32 (787 views)
Shortcut
posting replies to subthread instead of main thread Can't Post

I notice some of the newcomers are having a hard time figuring out how to reply so that their reply ends up in response to the right thread. For instance, Sunflower here is trying to reply to Aunt Dora's main thread (I think) and not to Tyler's response.

Just wondered if and how to let them in on the secret without sounding uppity. It's not bothering me, but could cause confusion in a busy discussion, if they appear to be responding to a subthread instead of the main thread, or in the wrong subthread, etc.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"And we must all bring Provisions."
"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."
"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions.
I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 4:42pm

Post #2 of 32 (575 views)
Shortcut
It happened in another thread too [In reply to] Can't Post

here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jan 8 2008, 4:43pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 6:29pm

Post #3 of 32 (613 views)
Shortcut
They're being contacted. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you see a new member not coming to grips with the board's mechanics, feel free to give them a 'pssst' - but the admins are in contact some of the current ones to give them a hand.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 9 2008, 4:03pm

Post #4 of 32 (548 views)
Shortcut
I do it all the time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just recently I've had to delete a couple of long posts when I went "Oops! That's not the Original Poster!"

I used to do it on the old boards, too.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:26pm

Post #5 of 32 (546 views)
Shortcut
Um, yup....:) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was doing OK for a while, but am having problems again. So I was contacted and given a "posting in the new TORn 101" course. I finally found out what my problem was.
I was told to come here and do some practice.

*brandishes mike* "testing, testing, one two two..."Wink

This flat/threaded thing is SUCH a bother!!!

Let's see how this came out....

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:43pm

Post #6 of 32 (523 views)
Shortcut
Let's try this again.... [In reply to] Can't Post

a different way. *sigh*

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:45pm

Post #7 of 32 (512 views)
Shortcut
And again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:47pm

Post #8 of 32 (513 views)
Shortcut
And again....(nT) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:53pm

Post #9 of 32 (523 views)
Shortcut
Um..hello? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what's happening....

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 9:55pm

Post #10 of 32 (518 views)
Shortcut
One more time [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see...

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 10:55pm

Post #11 of 32 (511 views)
Shortcut
which post are you practicing replying to? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

If you tell us which post you are trying to reply to, we can help you.

Are you trying to reply to the my main post, which reads "posting replies to subthread instead of main thread"?

Or are you trying to reply to Darkstone's "I do it all the time"?

Or are you trying to reply to one of your own subthreads?

Let us know the problem, and we'll help.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 9 2008, 11:37pm

Post #12 of 32 (529 views)
Shortcut
See, this is the problem, a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am quite sure that when I check to see where this reply comes up, it won't be where it's supposed to be. I've been trying to reply to your opening post, and trying to get my reply to show up as the 2nd one in this thread.

I've been contact with one of the mods about this. I mailed him but I guess he only on at night. So if you could help?

Basically, the problem is, whoever I want to reply to, my post always ends up as the last post in the thread, on the bottom, whether I try to reply in Threaded or Flat mode. I didn't even know the difference between the two until it was explained to me. I prefer to reply and view posts in Flat mode, since it's the mode I'm used to using in other Boards.

When I post in a thread, I'm always viewing it in Flat, and my reply is intended to the poster right before me. Though to save time, I sometimes throw in a reply to more than one poster. I've been told that if someone views my reply in Threaded, my reply could pop up anywhere in the "outlined" list, or anywhere in the Flat thread. I have no idea why. (God forbid I want to reply to another post say 5 people back. It could show up anywhere.)

Here's what I do: I view in Flat, hit "reply" in the box of the person l want to reply to,and post. But I'm told that if someone is viewing it in Threaded, even though it looks like my post is in correct order in Flat, in Threaded it pops up anywhere.

Confused yet?Laugh The only reason I've appeared to have gotten anything right is I've posted a few "general" replies not addressed to anybody, lately.

I tried replying to you in both Flat and Threaded, tried logging out and then back in, and it still shows as the last post. CrazyCrazyCrazy

Does this have to do with my program? I'm using Mozilla Firefox, should I use Explorer instead?

Sorry to be such a pain.....

EDIT: Oops, I did it again. (apologies to The BritsterEvil)

It's official: I'm not going ANYWHERE out of Feedback until I find out what the heck is happening here.....CrazyUnsure

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 9 2008, 11:39pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:46pm

Post #13 of 32 (502 views)
Shortcut
Just a test... [In reply to] Can't Post

...replying to Sunflower's "Let's try this again", just to see if this works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:52pm

Post #14 of 32 (497 views)
Shortcut
Another test [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:55pm

Post #15 of 32 (492 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, my test response in flat mode just now worked fine.

Threaded mode shows posts in "conversational" style, subject line only, so you can see who is responding to whom. Flat mode shows the posts expanded, but as they were posted, chronologically - so you can never be sure, who's responding to whom unless they quote them in their response!

Now, I want you to try something, Sunflower: click on the main post, make sure you're in flat mode, then go to the post which has the subject line "Um..hello?" and respond to it with "Testing um..hello" (nt).

Then, in similar manner, make a response to my earlier post with the subject line "Just a test."

Let's see what happens.

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:56pm

Post #16 of 32 (480 views)
Shortcut
Did you study for it? ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9 2008, 11:57pm

Post #17 of 32 (494 views)
Shortcut
I never use flat [In reply to] Can't Post

but when I posted a test post it ended up in the right place both in flat and threaded mode. Are you sure you're hitting the right reply?

Plus I think you've been "talking" to a she :-)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 10 2008, 12:10am

Post #18 of 32 (502 views)
Shortcut
But the newest reply *should* end up at the bottom of the thread (or sub-thread). [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying to reply to your opening post, and trying to get my reply to show up as the 2nd one in this thread.

That won't happen: one major change made for the new boards is that responses appear oldest top to newest bottom. (Entire threads, meanwhile, continue to appear newest top to oldest bottom, and thus continue to fall off the page, as they did on the old boards.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 12:15am

Post #19 of 32 (484 views)
Shortcut
Replying to Brigand here....(NT) [In reply to] Can't Post

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 10 2008, 12:17am

Post #20 of 32 (475 views)
Shortcut
Looks good from here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 12:20am

Post #21 of 32 (507 views)
Shortcut
OK.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That was fine. In the top of pg. upper right corner it says "View Threaded" so I guess I'll stick to posting in this mode (whatever it is:)

but this IS how I've been replying lately; I can't understand why my replies have apparently been popping up all over the place. Does it look good in Threaded as well as flat? (sorry I'm paranoid Brigand--I guess the ol' laptop has decided to be nice today)

*deep breath* I'll try somewhere else now...

Thanks guys

(PS sorry I called you a guy, a.s.!Wink

EDIT: Draupne, what do you mean "Which reply"? There's only 1 Reply per box?

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jan 10 2008, 12:24am)

a.s.
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 12:40am

Post #22 of 32 (508 views)
Shortcut
gosh, I thought the girl avatar was a giveaway! [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess she's too much like a "pinup girl", maybe...

Hmmm.

Anyway, do you feel like you've got it figured out yet? I greatly prefer threaded mode because, in very long threads with lots of subthreads (like Fiesta) it's the only way to figure out who is replying to whom. It truly does help the flow of conversation.

I'm not sure I can help beyond suggesting you use threaded mode. You will grow to like it a lot, especially in long threads. If there's a technical problem beyond that just bring it back here and an admin will help you (and any others having trouble).

Have faith, the oldtimers had to get used to threading "upside down" (as NEB explained, the threads used to appear newest first) and THAT was a challenge! LOL.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

"Bring what ?"
"Things to eat."

Sunflower
Valinor

Jan 10 2008, 1:27am

Post #23 of 32 (478 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, I wasn't looking at yr avatar a.s...Blush

I'll try Threaded, if it works. The old board was Threaded only of course and that was easy. But I personally prefer Flat, and was glad to see a flat-style on the new board. *sigh*

Well...let's see how it goes....

Thanks BTW.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2008, 3:40am

Post #24 of 32 (478 views)
Shortcut
"Upside down"? [In reply to] Can't Post

You mean, you didn't change your preferences on the old board so that the thread replies went top to bottom, like these on the new boards?

I could never figure them out, the default way, with newest posted on "top" of earlier ones! Crazy

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 10 2008, 3:43am

Post #25 of 32 (505 views)
Shortcut
Good threads to view in flat mode... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are threads that aren't indented much with sub-threads and converstations, or threads with quite a few no-text posts, like this one.

For example, in threaded mode (my default) I clicked on Annael's root post in her thread on Off-topic about her recent purchase of a brooch. Before I clicked on it, I could see it was an almost exclusively 'vertical' thread (so far). So, once I was inside of her post, I clicked the "View Flat Mode" button and read through the entire thread quickly, saving myself bunches of clicks. I also do that with some book discussion posts in the RR, or any thread I'd like to skim through quickly. I'm pretty used to both modes by now, but if I ever need to clarify which post I'm replying to after I've read through it in Flat mode, I then click the same button to get back to "View Threaded" so I know I'm opeining the correct post to reply to.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 10 2008, 3:45am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.