Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
i'd also like to add this angle....

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 13 2013, 2:21pm

Views: 101
Shortcut
i'd also like to add this angle.... [In reply to] Can't Post

i'd also like to add this angle to the love between aredhel and eol.... even if one takes the position that their elf-sight was working (in terms of seeing clearly that someone is a good, potential partner), personal practices can derail that.

eol greatly resented the noldor, and ascribed to them many of the troubles that followed in beleriand. but he disliked them also for their own sakes... he deemed them usurpers and too full of themselves.

i think a bit of what eol might have seen in aredhel, once he learned of her "nationality" and family connections, was that this was a noldo whom he could wed and to a certain extent bring under his control. he also would be husband to one of the jewels of the royal houses of the noldo, so i think that must have sweetened the pot, and also then spurred him on to his controlling, possessive rules about not meeting with any noldo, etc.

i wonder if aredhel had been teleri or sindarin, if he would have been as possessive. my guess is that he always had the potential to be possessive with any partner, but having one who was noldo just really brought out many of his insecurities and resentments.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Subject User Time
speaking of aredhel... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 12:55am
    Interesting continuation Telpemairo Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 1:53am
        "It is not said that Aredhel was wholly unwilling, nor that her life in Nan Elmoth was hateful to her for many years." Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 5:41pm
            The perpetual Bad Boy as a lure. When it fails Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 5:54pm
                The Little Princess and The Rose That Blooms on the Plain Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 7:34pm
                    Wonderfully poignant references Darkstone Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 10:44pm
                        Thanks! Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 4 2013, 5:45pm
                tengwadil, you echo my thought re gondolin Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 11:22pm
                    Deep irony in Aredhel's story Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 12:01am
    Further consideration Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 4:27pm
        elf-sight Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 4:47pm
            Love and lust Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 3 2013, 5:31pm
                Lust and Maeglin CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 4 2013, 6:13pm
                    Good question - I don't know the truth of it Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 4 2013, 9:08pm
                    veering off into defying natural laws territory Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 5 2013, 12:21am
                    aredhel's frame of reference Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 5 2013, 12:28am
                        Aredhel in Gondolin Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 5 2013, 9:38pm
    Eowyn Without a Cause? Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 3 2013, 5:36pm
        intersting thoughts Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 5:52pm
        Eowyn Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 10:16pm
            interesing... proposal Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 10:58pm
                But wasn't Eowyn Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 11:30pm
                    yes, forgot that Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 3 2013, 11:32pm
                        But perhaps good enough Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Oct 3 2013, 11:50pm
                        But.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 6 2013, 11:27am
    i'd also like to add this angle.... Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 13 2013, 2:21pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.