Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thanks! And on what you state in this post, you are probably right (for good or ill lol) I

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Oct 12 2013, 10:04am

Views: 249
Shortcut
Thanks! And on what you state in this post, you are probably right (for good or ill lol) I [In reply to] Can't Post

continue to hope for the best. Some of An Unexpected was as bad as anything I could have feared (go home Azog, you're dead), but other parts were less maimed than I worried they would be, and many points were pitch perfect, or even unexpectedly pleasant ( I loved the charming introduction of Radagast, even though he soon lost me for awhile with all that damned eyerolling and birdcrap).

I want to see Gandalf lay down some powerful magic as well, but not really anymore than what the books said of him. Clearly they mean to show Galadriel breaking Dol Guldur. Which is great, if everybody else gets their fair go at things. The novels speak specifically of Gandalf the Gray holding off all nine Wraith Kings from dusk until dawn with a display of enchanted flame and lightning (essentially) that scorched the whole of the hill top, and which Aragorn and Frodo saw from several miles off like "lightning that leaps up from the hilltop" (so no way it was something as simple as him lighting a ring of fire that any woodsman or dwarf could manage. lol Also, that type of blue flame display was a trademark of his. "I have all but written Gandalf is here in signs that all can read from Rivendell to the mouths of Anduin." I always thought it a bit of a cheat that the other films displayed astounding feats by Arwen and Saruman, but went almost too subtle with some of Gandalf's powers, usually by either entirely cutting out a scene, or attributing his work (the white horses) to other.

They were much more true to his abilities in The Hobbit. Here, they have a chance to imagine in almost anyway they choose his confrontation with The Nine Ringwraiths. It should be one of the most iconic AND awe-epic moments in the films, AND, unlike so many other things, it is ENTIRELY based in cannon, even if it is altered in timeline and location, but the confrotation itself is gospel. Soooooo, I would like to think that they are aware of it and will try to incorporate it in a proper way.

I do hope they stick mostly to the truth of Saurons intentions though. I will likely make a post on some of the reasons why this should be later, but the bottom line is, it makes for riveting material, and adds so much depth, history and relevancy to the overall history.

In Reply To
Wow, great thoughts!!

It makes me so much more excited about the whole DG subplot because anything can happen. I guess it's one good thing about all these massive changes that we don't really know what will happen.

I hope you're right and the films follow the canon version of what happened. Though a lingering doubt in my mind exists. This whole DG subplot has been so radically changed - it can be analyzed in any possible way. Why would anyone want to change something that has already been well-established in the source materiel? Whatever PJ ends up doing (Which I'm sure will be invented) won't match the canon of it. Sauron has been overly Hollywoodized. From the visual white-ghost Nazgul attack to the extremely.... Hollywood shadow that the camera zooms into like some amateur horror film, I don't think we'll get anything like what Tolkien wrote about DG. That cartoonish scene of Thrain leaping over Gandy is an example. Zombies should be an indication that this is not going to follow canon at all.

Again AO, I don't mean to discredit your hypothesis (To be honest I find it more structured and appealing), but sadly this will be another entirely invented (reinvented?) storyline ignoring the already established canon. Quite sad but I guess it would work with the general audience.

To me, whatever happens will seem like a bridging device to connect LOTR and TH. Since there is no mention of Dol Guldur or what happened there in the movies, PJ practically has justification enough to do whatever he wants.

As long as we get to see Gandalf kick ass, (I honestly don't know what it is with me and seeing Gandy battle, It's just so cool...) I guess I won't mind the butchering of a plot that ALREADY works really well in the books.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
AUJ Witch King/Necromancer encounter all a sham? (Mild Spoilers) Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 11 2013, 9:39pm
    I hope Barrow-Wight Send a private message to Barrow-Wight Oct 11 2013, 11:38pm
    I think you underestimate Radagast. Sauron's original plan was a war on The Elves and The North. "And the power of Sauron is still less than fear makes it." AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 11 2013, 11:49pm
        I Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Oct 12 2013, 12:39am
            That's a cool thought Faleel burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Oct 12 2013, 2:39am
        A598 & AO! soomuch to contemplate...Must Take TIME? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Oct 12 2013, 2:27am
            A fair point, Faleel, though likely to be lost on the general audience. Bomby, Thank you AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 4:50am
        I agree Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth Send a private message to Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth Oct 12 2013, 2:45am
            My thanks to you. Glad you enjoyed the post. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 4:50am
        Sauron's arrogance Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 12 2013, 4:01am
            My long thoughts on this.. .. All this is possible, but it still begs the question of what Sauron would gain AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 6:00am
                Canon vs PJ and Co Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 7:10am
                    All good points Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Oct 12 2013, 8:07am
                        Quite true Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 8:21am
                            Ring vs Morgul blade Yngwulff Send a private message to Yngwulff Oct 12 2013, 8:31am
                                But... Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 8:35am
                            Because of the Powers involved, I don't even know that greater fate needed to factor in, as AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 10:27am
                                Excellent Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 10:55am
                                    Bomby tends to want to Write in simple sentences? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Oct 12 2013, 1:06pm
                                        *genuflects* AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 7:35pm
                                    Aww. Thank you much. On Sauron's revelation. . . AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 6:52pm
                    Thanks! And on what you state in this post, you are probably right (for good or ill lol) I AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 10:04am
                        LOL Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 10:33am
                    There are indications, but not for this reason... Salmacis81 Send a private message to Salmacis81 Oct 14 2013, 4:26pm
                        I think that they are trying to get up a little publicity.... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 15 2013, 2:55pm
        Excellent thoughts but Annatar598 Send a private message to Annatar598 Oct 12 2013, 5:18am
    I like this Ruxendil_Thoorg Send a private message to Ruxendil_Thoorg Oct 12 2013, 3:31am
    You might be on to something! micha84 Send a private message to micha84 Oct 12 2013, 12:23pm
        Again, my thoughts on the spiders. Ambush, more so than lure... or possibly both. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 6:59pm
    Agree to Disagree... FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 12 2013, 12:56pm
        Agree to agree ENTIRELY! lol. Accept maybe about the spiders. I do think they were sent. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Oct 12 2013, 7:03pm
            Maybe they were sent. I'm not sure.// FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Send a private message to FaramirAndEowynMorningStar Oct 12 2013, 7:24pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.