Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Casting Speculation with MrCere!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2008, 5:01am

Post #26 of 203 (1844 views)
Shortcut
Santoro... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Morgan Freeman might work, I could see ...or hear it. But now Smaug becomes God. Vin Diesel...no matter how many times I read some a Smaug's dialogue, I can't picture his voice. Rodrigo Santoro, now that I like. Loved him Xeres. He could work. But I wanna hear his regular voice first before I go jumping on the Rodrigo fan train.

Santoro's voice has nothing special. You can see him in Love Actually. It was HEAVILY modified for Xerxes, which shows pretty much anyone could do it.

However, I do feel the Britishness and age in Smaug must be natural. Someone over 60 preferably.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson to direct The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 8 2008, 5:05am

Post #27 of 203 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Does Bilbo look 50 or 35? [In reply to] Can't Post

In LotR, Tolkien writes that hobbits normally live to 100, so you'd think that Bilbo at 50 should look 35. But in The Hobbit, it's not clear that Tolkien had the same idea, and arguably Bilbo should look 50 (for humans) in The Hobbit. And he should be on the heavy side, too. (But the same was true of Frodo's weight in LotR.) Sorta like Danny DeVito in Romancing the Stone?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Annael
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 5:08am

Post #28 of 203 (1855 views)
Shortcut
Oh, boy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Shall we revive the old Casting Rumors board? Ah, the fights we had there! (wipes away a nostalgic tear remembering Luaghfaol and the "Uma Thurman looks like a crack whore!" discussion.)

Bilbo - Martin Freeman for me. He looks a bit like Ian Holm, he's short and plumpish, and, well, perfect. Colin Firth is too easily identified with Mr. Darcy, I don't think people would "see" him as Bilbo, act he never so well. Elijah - too confusing. Another possibility is Tom Hollander.

Thorin - I love Ron Perlman with a great and holy love and want him to have leading roles, but - as Thorin? Does not compute. Brian Blessed would be perfect. Or Robbie Coltrane. Or Brendan Gleeson. John RD for Gloin - if they can talk him into wearing the makeup again . . .

Bard - I think Jack Davenport's due for a turn as an action hero.

Beorn - I'd love to see Russell Crowe do this!

voice of Smaug - Robert Lindsay.

Thranduil - I have always wanted David Bowie, though I fear he's getting a bit raddled.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

- William Blake
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 8 2008, 5:10am)

Entilzha

Jan 8 2008, 5:12am

Post #29 of 203 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Scorpius actor for Smaug!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a brilliant choice, kudos to the person who mentioned it. That voice on Farscape was deliciously sleek, dangerous, smoldering. Now I can't imagine anyone else's voice for Smaug. Bring on Wayne Pygram!

Martin Freeman MUST be Bilbo.

And I do think David Bowie would be great as Thranduil, but maybe there is someone else out there no one has mentioned yet, with cheekbones. He should have upturned eyebrows.

Good luck getting Daniel Day-Lewis. He'll be coming down off his "There Will Be Blood" role for a few years before he stars in anything else. Though he would make a great Bard.

Entilzha

Entilzha

Jan 8 2008, 5:17am

Post #30 of 203 (1825 views)
Shortcut
How about Adrian Pasdar for Bard (of Heroes fame)? [In reply to] Can't Post

He plays Nathan Petrelli on Heroes. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0664499/
If he could pull off a British accent, he has the serious look and gravitas. Could make a great Bard.

Entilzha

Patty
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 5:34am

Post #31 of 203 (1837 views)
Shortcut
Oh golly, how could I have ever forgotten... [In reply to] Can't Post

the "Uma Thurman is a crack whore" battles?

I love TORn.

For Gondor!

Elwe_Feanor

Jan 8 2008, 5:50am

Post #32 of 203 (1848 views)
Shortcut
Why not Ian Holm again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I may just be wishing this to be true but if Bilbo hadn't aged a day since the time Gandalf sees him before the party, then the Bilbo we see in the beginning of the Fellowship is what Bilbo should look like. So I was hoping we could just have Ian Holm return to the role.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 8 2008, 5:58am

Post #33 of 203 (1818 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORN! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for joining the conversation.

In answer to your question: Ian Holm was really too old even for Bilbo in The Lord of the Rings. According to Tolkien's comments in the Prologue to that book, hobbits live to be 100. Bilbo until the Ring was destroyed would look roughly the same age he was when he acquired the Ring in The Hobbit: 50, or about 35 in human years. And Holm is past 70. However, some people here have suggested that Holm could play Bilbo as narrator of the story, presumably in Rivendell, after the Ring has been destroyed.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Jan. 7-13 for "Strider".

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 6:24am

Post #34 of 203 (1869 views)
Shortcut
My only reservation about Martin Freeman [In reply to] Can't Post

is that the twitches and reactions he did so brilliantly in The Office were carried over to his role as Arthur Dent in HHGTTG, and I would hate to see them appear again in a younger Bilbo. If Freeman could get rid of those 'signature' moves, I'd love him for Bilbo because he certainly has the looks and the character for this slightly odd Hobbit.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2008, 7:02am

Post #35 of 203 (1840 views)
Shortcut
This is fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have doubled in age since 1999 *g* I am so glad to be part of this round of casting rumors!

I am definitely in the "Martin Freeman for Bilbo" camp. He has the look. I am not sure how great of an actor he is, since I haven't seen anything of his, but he definitely has the look. Definitely not Elijah, Elijah is Frodo and I'd rather not have any of the old cast come back and do a different role.

For Thranduil, Ralph Fiennes looks best out of all shown. Isaacs already has Malfoy covered, Pheonix just isn't elf-looking, and Depp is simply way too well-known. And I think a bald, grey-looking fellow is enough of a distinction from an elf king.

For Smaug, I want a voice that I don't think "Lion King" or "Star Wars", or anything like that. I want to think *Smaug*. I hope that they choose an actor for this role based on how well he portrays Smaug rather than his popularity in earlier films.

Bard... as much as I love Hugh Jackman, I'd have a difficult time moving away from Hugh Jackman to Bard. Out of the 5 listed there, I prefer Daniel-Day Lewis the most, though even then, I think I'd prefer someone who really is not well known, sort of like Viggo was before LOTR came out. I want to see *Bard*, not the actor, and it's difficult to do that with well-known actors.

Ron Perlman is perfect for Thorin. I certainly cannot think of anyone else.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

hobbitgoddess
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 8:21am

Post #36 of 203 (1829 views)
Shortcut
British indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, theres no way in hell I'm watching Love Actually, so I will take your word for it.

We now Smaug has to sound British (it's Tolkien for gods sake. Either that or scottish/irish, except the villains), but what about age? What do you guys think?

And thats a sickening thought that anyone could do it a little or a lot of sound modification. I think it should still sound natural. Or natural for a dragon at least.

Have you hugged your hobbit today?

For pony

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jan 8 2008, 8:54am

Post #37 of 203 (1818 views)
Shortcut
To Calisuri and Deej (&mcree) Bowie is still great for Thranduil, I also like. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

All right, jumping back, while I coud not Imagine seeing Keith Richards as anything but a wraith, and could hardly see Bono at his current heft, nor either of the remaining Beatles playing ANY Elf, It cannot be denied that David Bowie LOOKS AND SOUNDS THE PART OF THRANDUIL. And he has proven himself a compotent actor as well as a musician. He would be perfect for the role, more so than any of the other alternatives I have seen mentioned.

As to Beorn, I really do think Lawrence Fishburne would be great for he role. His voice is resonant, he is somewhat large, and he can be intense. I also think it would be a good Idea to have, as I have said, at least one person of colour in the film who is not an orc. LOTS of blacks whom I know or have met saw the film, and loved it, and many read the books as well, but one sour note I noticed amongst nearly all of them was that, in the 21st century, despite all the deviations from text Jackson made, he managed to have zero people of colour in the film, with the glaring exception of certain actors in prosthetics playing Uruk-Hai (not exactly flattering). I think, considering Tolkien's description of Beorn, that Fishburne could fit perfectly into the role, and also ease the feelings of those who felt the other films lacked ethnic diversity.

I have given my list for the others in other sites. Of course Lee MUST return as Saruman (so lets not delay the film FOR ANY REASON if it can be avoided)

Also, I must repeat, that Glorfindel should have some part in the bridge film at least, even if only minor lines at The Council meetings, and he could be PERFECTLY portrayed by Jude Law!

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Melilot
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 9:01am

Post #38 of 203 (1856 views)
Shortcut
What about Kelsey Grammer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Agree with many of the names, but my personal favorite would be Kelsey Grammer as Thorin. Can act. Has immense presence and most definitely has the looks.

And it is a pity that Liam Aiken (Klaus from Lemony Snicket) isn't all that much younger than Elijah Wood - he would have made a perfect young Frodo in the second movie.

Owlyross
Rohan

Jan 8 2008, 9:29am

Post #39 of 203 (1851 views)
Shortcut
Not Jason Statham! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't get past him in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels! A cockernee Bard is not what we need. I'd be happy with Christian Bale (and so, unfortunately, would my girlfriend!)

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
Benjamin Franklin
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Horace Walpole (1717 - 1797)

Mishka
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 9:50am

Post #40 of 203 (1808 views)
Shortcut
James McAvoy as Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, I could really imagine Gerard Butler as Bard more than any others, he does have all it takes! And how about James McAvoy for Bilbo, although he might be a bit young, but he is a brilliant actor and could play just about anything! Ah it is so exciting!

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 8 2008, 10:05am

Post #41 of 203 (1915 views)
Shortcut
My vote for Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

Is Matthew Macfadyen, at least based on his role as Mr.Darcy in Pride and Prejudice (2005) Smile His acting in the "rain scene" is by far one of the most touching I have ever seen. From 2:41 onwards, he looks so beautifully ruffled, in love, and torn between his pride and his feelings. Just my opinion Wink

Shagrat
Gondor

Jan 8 2008, 10:12am

Post #42 of 203 (1819 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've given a lot of thought to The Hobbit casting and I'm afraid I didn't really find much resonance in this list. Indeed, as Stephen Fry himself once said in Blackadder, its "mostly awful!" For starters Ossie Davis is nearly 3 years dead! My thoughts:

Bilbo: No Martin Freeman nor Colin Firth, both are essentially terrible actors and would not be able to pull of the role. While I remain unconvinced, I think James MacAvoy would be the most suitable choice I can bring to mind, though there may be better ones out there.

Thorin: Ron Perlman? As much as I like the guy, you have to be kidding. If one man was ever born to play this role, it was Scottish actor James Cosmo. He just has everything, he'd be absolutely perfect. If not, then Brian Cox and Brendan Gleeson wouldn't be bad replacements, but I'd like to see them as other Dwarfs. Also Ian McNiece should play Bombur, and I think Stephen Fry would be terrible as a Dwarf, as much as I like him.

Thranduil: This is a role that I think would work with a number of actors, including Jason Isaacs and Ralph Fiennes. However, my personal choice would be Julian Sands. And I wouldn't want to see David Bowie either.

Bard: Again, there are a lot of guys who can pull of this role. I don't think its 'heavy' enough for Daniel Day-Lewis to take it, brilliant actor though he is, and if Clive Owen got anywhere near The Hobbit it would be a travesty, the guy has no talent whatsoever. Gerard Butler or Christian Bale could do the job easily, but perhaps that is the point; therefore I think Kevin McKidd would be a fresh and excellent choice. And for goodness sake no Jason Statham - only good actors should be allowed in a film of this magnitude!

Smaug: This is perhaps the most difficult role to pin down. I think the voice should be from an elderly, distinguished British thesp, and there are many who would work well - Terence Stamp, Jeremy Irons, Kenneth Cranham, etc. But my personal choice would be David Warner, who would bring menace but a certain elegance to the role.

Beorn: Very tough. To be honest I can't think of a suitable choice here. Pat Roach would have been great had he still been alive. But not Brian Blessed. Everyone says he'd be good, either as Beorn or a Dwarf, but he's a terrible actor who will just shout and ruin the film.

Radagast: Should he make it into either film, again I'm thinking an elderly British/Irish actor. And to be honest, I'd love to see Peter O'Toole get the role. But I'm sure there are numerous actors who could do a good job.

usagold

Jan 8 2008, 10:52am

Post #43 of 203 (1835 views)
Shortcut
James Purefoy as Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

As a talented but not-too-well-known actor, James Purefoy might fit the bill well for Bard the Bowman. If you know him at all, outside of his recent role as Mark Antony in HBO's Rome series, you might know him best in the small but weighty role in A Knight's Tale as Sir Thomas Colville (Edward, the Black Prince of Wales).

"Treasure chests throughout history
have been filled with GOLD
and not by idle choice." --R. Strauss

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 12:05pm

Post #44 of 203 (1791 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* That would be fun :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 12:07pm

Post #45 of 203 (1785 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

He would be fabulous! Good Call!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 8 2008, 12:20pm

Post #46 of 203 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Ya know... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know they're not going to choose Elijah because of the Frodo connection, but he was also my first thought when considering Bilbo. I also have a way around having Frodo as Bilbo. I'll indulge myself here, if you don't mind ;)

In the film, Bilbo is telling the story of his adventure to a group of hobbit-kiddies just as he did in FotR. In cameos, off to one side sit Sam, Merry, Pippin and Frodo smiling and listening in. Remember in Rivendell when Frodo was looking at the Red Book with Bilbo and he said he was pretending to be off with Bilbo on one of his adventures? Well, why not have Frodo listening to Bilbo's tale and fade off as he literally DOES imagine himself on this adventure?

I know, I know... it's a silly idea and all. But it's fun to play with the what-ifs and try to get our former LotR players in on this new project!

sample sample

My DragonCon 07 Report

My JRRT Map Moot Report

Mishka
The Shire

Jan 8 2008, 12:24pm

Post #47 of 203 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Do you tink they will create a female role for Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since there is no female character in the Hobbit, I wonder if they will create one?

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 8 2008, 12:25pm

Post #48 of 203 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah! I agree! // [In reply to] Can't Post

kareniel
Lorien

Jan 8 2008, 12:31pm

Post #49 of 203 (1825 views)
Shortcut
Martin Shaw for Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

He does a great job of adjusting his intonations for different characters in The Silmarillion recording. I bet he could do a wonderful Smaug.

deej
Tol Eressea

Jan 8 2008, 12:48pm

Post #50 of 203 (1732 views)
Shortcut
Keith Richards as a Ringwraith [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, it wouldn't be much of a stretch - I don't think he's either living or dead at this point. Wink

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.