Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ got a standing ovation in.....
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 4:54pm

Post #1 of 27 (1134 views)
Shortcut
AUJ got a standing ovation in..... Can't Post

....... Pakistan!

Yes you saw it right. I recently moved to PK as a foreign teacher for an international school and literally my first concern was If I could watch AUJ on the big screen. And I did but It came out nearly two weeks after its worldwide release date of December 13 after much fuss and tension on whether or not it would actually come.

And it came thank god.

I think AUJ and The Dark Knight Rises had almost the same reception here - billboards all over the city of Karachi and a lot of TV advertisements. I saw the movie three times in a (surprisingly awesome IMAX-like) cinema and for each viewing the movie got a standing ovation. It really made me proud to be a fan of Tolkien since childhood.

The movie lasted for an unbelievably long time in the cinemas here. It had a good run from December 28 to March 17. The movie was still drawing crowds after being released on the market as a home video (illegally of course, there are no authentic DVD/BluRay vendors in PK save for one department store that has a very limited variety).

Now as for Desolation of Smaug, Iím going into panic mode again since the cinemas arenít showing DOS anywhere on the Coming Soon pages on their sites. And apparently thereís no word from their distributers either. What I mainly wanted to ask was, is there a way I can email anyone at Warners or Wingnut or anyone about this? I know itís all a stretch and unrealistic but itís at least worth a try yes?

Iíve been telling everyone back home how everyone hereís a Ringer and everyoneís just surprised at how well received the movie was. The school where I work organized movie trips during the week to watch AUJ - It was insane and amazing how these movies connect with everyone in special ways.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 5:21pm

Post #2 of 27 (503 views)
Shortcut
Great stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thats really great to hear and very interesting. Just out of curiosity was the film shown in English with subtitles? I heard that in Germany the film was dubbed.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 5:28pm

Post #3 of 27 (492 views)
Shortcut
Surreal [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course IMO it's worth e-mailing, Facebook, Twitter, any name at WB you can find online, just get word out. Even news stations, IRS, all kinds of agencies use social media and sure WB would rather release it in theaters than deal with financial loss re piracy. Find some complaint sites and complain. If WB has people watching for leaked images, then enough postings will be seen by someone at WB. How about Tumblir posts with a picture saying "Pakistan wants DOS" or something like that? Egypt and Lebanon have release dates, why not India and Pakistan http://www.thehobbit.com/releasedates/

Definitely worth trying - any company likes making money, especially at the end of the year when the books are going to close.

Personally can't imagine what it's like to be an actor in these films, having your head down and buffered from it all in New Zealand (Dean O'Gorman has commented that evidently it's uncool in New Zealand to fuss over film stars and the Hobbit cast and crew, so evidently PJ & co. were not bothered by fans gawking etc.) and then international frenzy!

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 27 (476 views)
Shortcut
Great news! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is really good to hear and I'm glad AUJ has received such a reaction Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Oct 10 2013, 5:37pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 5:46pm

Post #5 of 27 (465 views)
Shortcut
One Question? [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that Tolkien was Translated into
Many Languages...so was it Translated into
Pakistani?

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 6:46pm

Post #6 of 27 (429 views)
Shortcut
English is one of the two official languages in Pakistan [In reply to] Can't Post

alongside Urdu, so I believe it was in English, wasn't it? Why dubbing a movie (and spent more money for voice actors and stuff) if almost everyone of that country can understand the original?

It was dubbed in Germany yes as all films are here. But our official language is German and not English. Not all of us (especially the older generations) do speak English... so it is useful to dub it here.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 7:35pm

Post #7 of 27 (398 views)
Shortcut
Came early to Iraq [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a friend of mine living in Kurdistan, Iraq, and it came out a week BEFORE it was released anywhere else, to MY knowlege. He said he saw it, but (after being threatened with being blocked on facebook!) didn't comment on it until after it was released here in the US. Teased us mercilessly, though!

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 8:28pm

Post #8 of 27 (350 views)
Shortcut
Marketing [In reply to] Can't Post

Literally zero students of mine had heard of LOTR prior to AUJ. I wish I could have LOTR screenings in class but that would be pushing it Smile

The marketing in PK was done right - which is why I think people went. Same reason for John Carter - I know it wasn't marketed at all in nearly all major countries but JC had a couple of billboards and TV spots a well month before its release here.

Fantasy does REALLY well here - not sure if it's the culture but there is a very healthy fascination of fantasy.

adnan
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 8:37pm

Post #9 of 27 (363 views)
Shortcut
Let me assure you... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am originally from the Pakistani city of Lahore (now living in USA) and am in touch with my friends there and they are confident that DOS will show there, especially since AUJ did decent business. So I wouldn't worry.

Enjoy your time there...Karachi has some great restaurants!

Rivendell

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 8:37pm

Post #10 of 27 (367 views)
Shortcut
Not at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I was quite surprised that the general cinema-going public knows english really well. All of the comedic scenes in the movie were a hit - especially anything with Bilbo. Or Gollum!

It wasn't dubbed - no Urdu or Urdu subtitles. The lack of subtitles was strange - I used to teach in Hong Kong before moving to PK and every movie there was always in English but with attached Cantonese subtitles. Definitely better to see a clear, clean screen for a change!

adnan
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 8:40pm

Post #11 of 27 (338 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was shown is english...I was there visiting family in January of this year and caught my second viewing there. It was in english with no subtitles which is fine for many...Pakistan was part of India and a British Colony, so english is understood by many. Many of the road signs there are also in english for that matter. Most english movies released there, at least in big cities, are shown in english without subtitles.

Rivendell

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 8:44pm

Post #12 of 27 (339 views)
Shortcut
Very Reassuring [In reply to] Can't Post

That certainly is reassuring, thanks. Although I do hope it comes on time for the worldwide release - last year was painful!

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 8:50pm

Post #13 of 27 (332 views)
Shortcut
A social media frenzy... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course IMO it's worth e-mailing, Facebook, Twitter, any name at WB you can find online, just get word out. Even news stations, IRS, all kinds of agencies use social media and sure WB would rather release it in theaters than deal with financial loss re piracy. Find some complaint sites and complain. If WB has people watching for leaked images, then enough postings will be seen by someone at WB. How about Tumblir posts with a picture saying "Pakistan wants DOS" or something like that? Egypt and Lebanon have release dates, why not India and Pakistan http://www.thehobbit.com/releasedates/

Definitely worth trying - any company likes making money, especially at the end of the year when the books are going to close.

Personally can't imagine what it's like to be an actor in these films, having your head down and buffered from it all in New Zealand (Dean O'Gorman has commented that evidently it's uncool in New Zealand to fuss over film stars and the Hobbit cast and crew, so evidently PJ & co. were not bothered by fans gawking etc.) and then international frenzy!

I can easily get folks at my school to start off a social media frenzy - thanks for the advice.

I'd much rather that WB receive the profits for DOS in a legal way and not for them to lose out on what I think is a good financial gain.

Pretty sure the prints for AUJ were not official WB ones - the opening logos had a shadow of a man for a couple of seconds (looked like a blunder in the projection room until I noticed the same thing on my second and third viewings).

Sam20
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 11:26pm

Post #14 of 27 (289 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thats really great to hear and very interesting. Just out of curiosity was the film shown in English with subtitles? I heard that in Germany the film was dubbed.

It France and Spain it was dubbed as well. In countries where they have the means and ressources to dub that's what they'll do. Most people doesn't speak english and doesn't necesserely like to read subtitles. I know many people who don't. I know only of two cities (the biggest ones) where I live who offer the movie in it's English original version. In any other towns it's all dubbed in French. That's what people want and pay for...

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 11:33pm

Post #15 of 27 (363 views)
Shortcut
it's a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

those countries in which the hobbit is dubbed miss out on so much...

armitage's subterranean baritone as thorin

mckellan's creaky-yet-stentorian gandalf

freeman's reedy tenor -- and the seemingly infinite variations of tone and vocal texture

nesbitt's cheerful, warm voice, that sounds just exactly as bofur looks

mctavish's balance of laconic expression with pent-up energy

stott, serkis.... i could go on and on. these countries are certainly receiving much in seeing the hobbit in its dubbed form, but it is an incomplete gift.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 11:52pm

Post #16 of 27 (288 views)
Shortcut
Well in my theater one person clapped once. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I believe he/she was standing/crouching at the time. TongueBlush

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Sam20
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 11:56pm

Post #17 of 27 (268 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit dubbed. [In reply to] Can't Post

@Maciliel

I totally agree but the fact of the matter is that in countries like France or Spain, most people doesn't mind the original actor voices. They just want to watch a movie in which they can understand the voices of what they're saying. Also, people with reading issues simply would not want to have nearly 3 hours of subtitle.

The theaters in my area would offer a subtitle presentation in they had enough people willing to pay for it. Unfortunately they don't. For that reason I am bound to rent movies once they're released, so that I can choose the language I want. For The Hobbit I will once again make an exeption and go for a 2h drive to watch it the original version.

(This post was edited by sam90 on Oct 10 2013, 11:59pm)

TheWhiteRider
Bree

Oct 11 2013, 7:11am

Post #18 of 27 (224 views)
Shortcut
I am also living in karachi, Pakistan [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ was thoroughly enjoyed by the audience when I went to see it. All the jokes were very well received, even the snot joke with the trolls made everybody laugh.

As for DOS, I did see a cinema promoting it on facebook during summer. So there is no doubt that it will be shown here. Do you mind me asking where and what are you teaching here in Karachi?

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 3:58pm

Post #19 of 27 (168 views)
Shortcut
I agree Mac... [In reply to] Can't Post

but also understand Sam90's point too.The voice qualities and the nuances can be lost with dubbing imo, but, at the same time, I can understand that some people prefer dubbing because they don't want to be distracted by the subtitles, which can detract from the action visuals
Here in the UK, most non-English language films are shown in the original language, with subtitles, as is non-English language TV. Dubbing is fairly unpopular, I would say, not least because the lip-synching issues take one out of the movie. Maybe it's a generational thing in the UK- when I was a kid, there was a lot of pretty badly dubbed European TV (The Flashing Blade anyone?), which was quite off-putting. Now, quality European drama is shown in its original form, with subtitles, which IMO is much nicer. And one has the benefit of getting used to hearing the different languages. We have had some good French dramas, which have helped to improve my rusty French!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 4:11pm

Post #20 of 27 (159 views)
Shortcut
oh, i'm not [In reply to] Can't Post

oh i'm not arguing against dubbing... all i'm saying is that something is lost, that's all.

i'm so glad these films are in my native tongue -- so i miss out on nothing. : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:18pm

Post #21 of 27 (152 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

[replyi'm so glad these films are in my native tongue -- so i miss out on nothing. : )
Smile

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 8:22pm

Post #22 of 27 (120 views)
Shortcut
I am. [In reply to] Can't Post

Dubbing should be seen as a form of miss-selling. If I pay to see Ian McKellen, and they get some third rate actor to do his lines, I'd want my money back. I went to some trouble to learn to read, and if people couldn't be bothered, or can't read, then I'm sure the cinema could provide a few seats with headphones, and have one of the ushers translating as they go along.

------------

Four posts and I'm out of here...

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 8:25pm

Post #23 of 27 (125 views)
Shortcut
my preferences as well [In reply to] Can't Post

certainly my preferences as well, for the same reason. but i would not wish to remove the choice from another.

das boot -- a fantastic film not in my native language -- is certainly better with subtitles, than with dubbing (my opinion, of course).

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 8:48pm

Post #24 of 27 (118 views)
Shortcut
Pan's Labyrinth [In reply to] Can't Post

Pan's Labyrinth worked really well artistically for me in subs, I guess it ultimately depends on individual taste.

I for one extremely disliked the use of subs in Hollywood movies that came to Hong Kong. The cantonese literally took up a fifth of the screen! Jeez the distributers there did not know how to add subs without having them intrude so much of the screen.

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 9:13pm

Post #25 of 27 (108 views)
Shortcut
They need to be fitted to the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Pan's Labyrinth worked really well artistically for me in subs, I guess it ultimately depends on individual taste.

I for one extremely disliked the use of subs in Hollywood movies that came to Hong Kong. The cantonese literally took up a fifth of the screen! Jeez the distributers there did not know how to add subs without having them intrude so much of the screen.

I've certainly seen some bad subtitling - the worst is when the letters are just put straight onto the picture and disappear when the background is the same colour/tone. Like everything in films, there is an art to it, and you can't apply a standard method to each film.

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.