Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome to a glorious Fall Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 4:44pm

Post #26 of 65 (82 views)
Shortcut
Nice to see you, elaen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh gosh! I'm glad to hear your surgery wasn't 'sinister,' but you have to recover nonetheless. So, take care of yourself and relax. If you end up spending more time on TORn, the your recovery is our gain. Smile

*adds extra miruvor to a steamy cup of hot chocolate*

Take care!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:44pm

Post #27 of 65 (84 views)
Shortcut
Just regular 3000 mile maintenance, lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually a week or so too soon, but my stylist is going on a cruise, and it really can't wait until she gets back.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

cats16
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:46pm

Post #28 of 65 (85 views)
Shortcut
Fall is coming--I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

The weather is starting to turn, and it feels like fall now. I catch myself stumbling while walking as I look at all of the trees changing colors. Perhaps a hot chocolate for me this week.

I might also be catching Captain Phillips this weekend (oops! That might not be the best phrase...Crazy)

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend! Smile

(This post was edited by cats16 on Oct 11 2013, 4:46pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 4:49pm

Post #29 of 65 (79 views)
Shortcut
Sniffles season is almost over! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you, Lily. The only thing that's a slight taint on loving Fall (and it's very slight) is the last stubborn push of a long allergy season. I've gotten wonderful results with over-the-counter Allegra in the last few years, but I can still feel the hay fever monster fighting its last fight, lol.

May you be efficient at taking care of business so you can enjoy the next few weekends! HeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 4:49pm

Post #30 of 65 (80 views)
Shortcut
Trees! [In reply to] Can't Post

Y'all with the trees that change color in the fall---I am so jealous! We'll eventually get a lot of yellow/gold colors, but for reds and oranges we have to look at the pears, pistachios, and maples people have planted in their yards, none of which grow here without human intervention.

Last year this time we were planning a trip to Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia, at the end of the month (and then had to delay it a week due to Hurricane Sandy), not least to see red/orange trees.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 4:51pm

Post #31 of 65 (78 views)
Shortcut
Another happy birthday to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if it is a day late. Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 4:51pm

Post #32 of 65 (75 views)
Shortcut
Hi there, cats [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha! Yes, I can hear the Captain Phillips jokes coming now. Laugh

*fixes up a large mug of steaming hot chocolate and puts an assortment of marshmallows and stronger additions on the bar (Baileys, peppermint schnaps).

Enjoy Captain Phillips! Wink

acheron
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:52pm

Post #33 of 65 (76 views)
Shortcut
go Red Sox! // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 4:53pm

Post #34 of 65 (78 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to hear your husband is recovering [In reply to] Can't Post

A shame that it takes a crisis to get someone to improve their health habits, but I fear it's that way with most of humanity.

A cool compress for your g'son, and a happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you all! And hopefully your daughter is right and you won't have to do, well, much Wink

acheron
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:53pm

Post #35 of 65 (77 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 4:54pm

Post #36 of 65 (75 views)
Shortcut
Glad you're feeling better [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy your down time, and here's to the speediest possible recovery.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:55pm

Post #37 of 65 (76 views)
Shortcut
A friend told me that if I didn't have a good birthday yesterday... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I could start over today and have another one.

Laugh

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

acheron
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:55pm

Post #38 of 65 (87 views)
Shortcut
not glorious here [In reply to] Can't Post

Been raining the past few days and will apparently keep raining all weekend. Yuck.

Other than that, the government is still shut down, so things here are funny. I am a contractor so insulated from it a bit, but if there continues to be no budget eventually the contract shenanigans will affect my company.

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:58pm

Post #39 of 65 (69 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Altaira!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 4:59pm

Post #40 of 65 (68 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Lily [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope your pesky pollen season settles down soon!

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

cats16
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 5:01pm

Post #41 of 65 (66 views)
Shortcut
Thanks--you too! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 5:04pm

Post #42 of 65 (67 views)
Shortcut
Rainy days [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you have some things you can enjoy doing inside. Catch up on movies, Netflix series or reading?

The government shutdown hasn't affected me at all except, as a news junkie, that and the debt ceiling are the ONLY things being talked about on all the news radio stations. The BBC has become a haven!

Good luck with it! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 5:08pm

Post #43 of 65 (84 views)
Shortcut
I seem to have trouble coming out to play lately! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have a really good excuse! I'm still working on my garage roof. What started out as fixing a hole, finding rot, then needing to reshingle, this has morphed into a huge project. I had about 6 different colours of shingles to use (couldn't afford to buy all one colour), and I was going to do a patchwork pattern. Then I decided to get creative. It's been pretty frantic while I try to take advantage of the great weather, and I'm having lots of fun as long as the weather holds out. I'll do a story about it later, but in the meantime here's a garage roof teaser!! Can you guess what it's going to be? ;) I'm hoping to be done with it tomorrow (Saturday). But I still have the other side of the roof to do. That's going to have to wait until Spring, though.

Sunday I'm taking my daughter and grandsons to Lake Michigan for the day, which is always soul-refreshing!

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend. Thanks lots for taking such great care of us, Altaira... and enjoy the movies!

5th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013
1st draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - August 11, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 11 2013, 5:10pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 5:24pm

Post #44 of 65 (73 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* I know! I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a hobbit hole! Leave it to you to be so imaginative and creative with a roof of all things! Laugh You continually impress with your energy and imagination.

I hope the weather holds for you so you can at least finish the one side!

*hugs* Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 5:26pm

Post #45 of 65 (64 views)
Shortcut
** Puts out 'self-serve' sign. Enjoy the beautiful Fall weekend! // [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolSmile

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 5:34pm

Post #46 of 65 (65 views)
Shortcut
One week (and one day) to go! [In reply to] Can't Post

Until I'm lieing on a hot beach in Cape Verde. Laugh Which is pretty odd being excited about, seeing how I can't stand hot temperatures. It's reaching +30degC there at the moment, so yes, I will melt. It is nice to get away though.

The problem with going on holiday though, which we're all familiar with, is being absolutely busy before and after the holiday, to keep up. Unsure Plus, work has piled up. So even if I dislike the heat, it's a nice break. The Silmarillion is always my holiday book, so I am packing that. And my partner is super excited too.

I'm not sure we will get to see much wildlife while we're though - seems like the wrong time of year for dolphins and turtles. There are sharks though ...

Have to get a few more pieces for the holiday this weekend. And more work. Hey ho1

Have a great weekend everyone. Take care.

Smile

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 5:50pm

Post #47 of 65 (70 views)
Shortcut
I'm really not surprised that I am after the self-serve notice! [In reply to] Can't Post

My time is out of kilter.

OhioHobbit and I are in Southern California for a week (we leave early on Wednesday) to visit with my sister. It was VERY hot here until the day we arrived and it is supposed to be VERY hot starting the day we leave, but it is beautifully cool right now. It's nice to know we brought Long Beach, CA, some cooler weather!! My sister was so worried that it would be too hot for us. OhioHobbit and I haven't been in California that we haven't been cold.

Here's hoping that everyone has a great weekend and a terrific week.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 8:09pm

Post #48 of 65 (57 views)
Shortcut
I wish everyone the best of weekends! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 8:38pm

Post #49 of 65 (56 views)
Shortcut
Ack! Nine inches of rain in the last two days--and it's still pouring! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fortunately the sump pumps in our basement are holding their own... I will grab myself a quick hot pumpkin latte and go pump-sit!! Shocked

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 11 2013, 8:41pm

Post #50 of 65 (49 views)
Shortcut
Yankees? Who are they? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Hot apple cider sounds good, I ought to pick up some at the local farm stand tomorrow - and a bushel of Cortlands, to make a pot of applesauce! One of my favorite Fall activities (and the family's, too!) Laugh

Enjoy your days off! When do you go to NYC for Godot?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.