Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn's animals
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Radagast's Lead Bunny
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 9:27am

Post #1 of 28 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's animals Can't Post

Giant bees, poneys, hounds, rams etc...

Will we see them or will they disappear like the talking purse ?

Do we have infos about this topic ? It's more important for me that Tauriel and Legolas. Mad

Fleuz
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 9:37am

Post #2 of 28 (554 views)
Shortcut
Maybe there are animals... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't think they are talking or serving dishes.
Would look pretty odd.

imHo

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 9:44am

Post #3 of 28 (540 views)
Shortcut
There is not much reason for them... [In reply to] Can't Post

... to cut it out, after Radagast's rabbits. ;)

However, I sincerly hope they won't talk or serve... would absolutely hate that.

As for Legolas/Tauriel: this is why you can open your own thread while others open and discuss theirs ;)

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 11 2013, 9:44am)

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 10:40am

Post #4 of 28 (535 views)
Shortcut
Wouldn't it be great to find out that it was Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

who gave Radagast his rabbits?

It would be a nice little nod to the fact that Beorn had semi-sentient animals in the book, and would also help lend a lot of credibility to an idea I still dislike (the bunny sled).

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 10:53am

Post #5 of 28 (495 views)
Shortcut
It certainly would... [In reply to] Can't Post

... not be illogical to have Beorn and Radagast know each other.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 11:10am

Post #6 of 28 (491 views)
Shortcut
Animals [In reply to] Can't Post

Based on these pictures, we know he'll have goats and atleast 1 black pig. I also remember there being quite a few pictures that showed ponies at his house.
http://imageshack.us/...images/826/6sru.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/tnff.png/

Things can still change though, but i think it's safe to say he'll have quite a lot of animalsSmile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 11:53am

Post #7 of 28 (466 views)
Shortcut
Beorn's animals shouldn't talk in any case [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I don't think they are talking or serving dishes.
Would look pretty odd.

imHo

Beorn's creatures didn't use human speech in the book either; he could understand them as animals.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 12:22pm

Post #8 of 28 (452 views)
Shortcut
Quite possibly Beorn's animals will speak [In reply to] Can't Post

Just not in English.Wink Beorn is described as speaking to his animals in an odd creature language. Suggests he learned to speak their language rather than vice versa. And as long as it is done in a naturalistic way, I have no issue with his critters serving the dwarves at table. "Queer Lodgings" is one of the parts I'm most looking forward to in DOS. Luckily, I won't have to wait long to visit Beorn. Cool

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 2:27pm

Post #9 of 28 (377 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see them – especially the giant bees [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be good to see animals displaying slightly more intelligence than our 'real'-world friends, but talking animals would be a bit much.

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 3:48pm

Post #10 of 28 (370 views)
Shortcut
Since there were no tra-lal-lally elves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I suppose there won't be any serving animals.

Unfortunately this is LOTR Redux, not The Hobbit.

Yeah, I'd rather have tra-lal-lally rather than vegetarian, and animals on their hind legs rather than Leggy and Miss T on theirs.

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:10pm

Post #11 of 28 (337 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yes, definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have Legolas no doubt running across the ceiling and see his head spinning around 180 degrees, so animals on their hind legs would definitely be preferable to that (and Ms T).

In Reply To
.animals on their hind legs rather than Leggy and Miss T on theirs.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:16pm

Post #12 of 28 (346 views)
Shortcut
Book Beorn, at least, would take issue with Radagast using his bunnies as sled dogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

And least, I'd like to hope he would. Tongue

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:19pm

Post #13 of 28 (323 views)
Shortcut
Old set photos showed that Beorn has bee hives, So the bees are in in some fashion // [In reply to] Can't Post

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:22pm

Post #14 of 28 (311 views)
Shortcut
That sounds promising – thank you for letting me know! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Old set photos showed that Beorn has bee hives, So the bees are in in some fashion

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 5:25pm

Post #15 of 28 (316 views)
Shortcut
And from the 2014 annual: [In reply to] Can't Post

Click here.

"Beorn keeps bees and makes very tasty honey!"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 5:39pm

Post #16 of 28 (300 views)
Shortcut
the tra-la-lally was cute the first time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but grew increasingly annoying every time after that so I'm glad that wasn't included. (and seriously, can you picture a bunch of 6 foot, statuesque elves singing that silly little song?) Anyway, although the animals walking on hind legs and serving was sort of charming in the book, I just don't see how that could be translated into a live action movie without looking ridiculous.

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 5:55pm

Post #17 of 28 (289 views)
Shortcut
I always like the idea of ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elvish children singing the tra-la-la-lally song as the Dwarves came into the valley and down into Rivendell. Or even in a Hall of Fire setting - it could've even worked in the dinner scene, with just the first verse being sung:

O! What are you doing,
And where are you going?
Your ponies need shoeing!
The River is flowing!
O! Tra-la-la-lally
Here down in the valley!

I can't remember who first suggested on here to have children singing the song. Kudos to them.

Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 6:21pm

Post #18 of 28 (267 views)
Shortcut
It suddenly occurred to me that Beorn and Winnie the Pooh... [In reply to] Can't Post

...have something in common! Smile

'Isn't it funny that a bear likes honey...'

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 6:52pm

Post #19 of 28 (279 views)
Shortcut
It's was me, Bomby who suggested Rivendale Children Elves Singing this... [In reply to] Can't Post

over a year & a Half ago...

About Beorn:
... Objecting to Using Raddy's Rabbits to drive his Sled?

No Problem with Beorn
since he uses His animals
as service members.
his Horses, Goats,Cows etc.
(LODGE of Milk & Honey?)

Bomby Believes Beorn
Learned Shape-Shifting from Raddy.

Raddy is MUCH Older than Beorn
& we seem to agree that he can turn into a Moth?

That's Also why Bomby believes Raddy
will NOT die...

If someone stuck a Knife, Spear, or Arrow into him,
He would dissolve into Birds & Moths...
and "Recombine" back into Human
Form... right before our Eyes!.
(Which would be A Spectular Effect in 3D)

Another Theory Bomby proposed here
over Year and a Half ago.

Also, we never did see any food Source at Rhosgbel
except for Mushrooms,
So Bomby believes he got much
from Beorn on a Regular basis,
Just North along the Western edge of Mirkwood.

With the speed of his Sled
he could easily get there,
Spend the Night
Load-up and be
back Home the Next day.

Bomby hopes some of these Theories
end up on Screen?

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 7:58pm

Post #20 of 28 (238 views)
Shortcut
You can also see animals inside the house in one of the Vlog... [In reply to] Can't Post

scenes in one of the cameras here

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 8:38pm

Post #21 of 28 (212 views)
Shortcut
I don't see any? Are you talking about in the monitor screen? / [In reply to] Can't Post

Crazy

Annatar598
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 9:00pm

Post #22 of 28 (219 views)
Shortcut
and other general silliness [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank god the singing elves did not make it into the movie. Nearly everyone I know (except those who are fans) who watched LOTR and came to watch AUJ (including parents) were turned off by the general silliness in the movie. I had A LOT of explaining to do to save AUJ some grace.

Stuff like Blunt the Knives, the stick insect, the outright blatant comedy in the Trollshaws, Bofur tossing a sausage(?) to Bombur only to have him fall, the Goblin King landing on the dwarves, and the flies in Bombur's mouth should have been left for the Extended Cut IMO. Would have made for a better theatrical presentation to a general audience more inline with its predecessor. I was fine with them but from what I gathered from reviews by people I know - such scenes were unnecessary.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 9:13pm

Post #23 of 28 (200 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea too [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact I think it would have been quite charming to have the elvish children singing tra-la-lally. Sometimes I wonder why they never tried to show elvish children in the movies, especially when they show human children in nearly every man-made establishment and they show hobbit children running around the Shire.

My favorite speech from the entire LOTR series: Sam:“It’s like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn’t want to know the end, because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was after so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those are the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances at turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going because they were holding on to something.” Frodo: “What are we holding on to, Sam?” Sam: “That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo, and it’s worth fighting for!”

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Oct 11 2013, 9:26pm

Post #24 of 28 (210 views)
Shortcut
some of the silliness I minded more than the rest (especially the trolls) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not turned off by the general silliness, in fact I enjoyed the Blunt the Knives number and didn't care about the Bombur/table but I agree that the gross out moments with the flies in Bombur's mouth, the stick insect and the Trollshaws could have been left for the extended edition. All of that was a bit childish for a PG-13 movie and probably left some people (especially parents) confused about which audience the movie was aiming to entertain. However, I immensely enjoyed AUJ despite those moments and I hope DOS will be an improvement.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 9:47pm

Post #25 of 28 (194 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

bottom pic in the "computer/camera" screen, you can open it in a new window to see it bigger, there are horned animals at the forefront . The one on the left has horns pointing up and the one on the right has them pointing down, there's a person between them. Maybe is a matte/CGI reference for the scene

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

(This post was edited by Oleander Took on Oct 11 2013, 9:48pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.