Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orlando Bloom on Legolas / Tauriel
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 8:11am

Post #1 of 33 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Orlando Bloom on Legolas / Tauriel Can't Post

Saw an Orlando Bloom interview done today in which they asked him about the possibility of romance for him in DOS as suggested by the new trailer.

After a bit of a spiel about how he had to think about elves and how their immortality might affect the depth of their feelings for others he said "romance was alluded to but not actualised"

To me this sounds like Legolas IS going to have a bit of a thing for Tauriel ,which doesn't actually bother me, but it will all be pretty understated. If you bear in mind Evangeline Lilly saying Tauriels love story wasn't a big part of her story then I dont think its going to be something thats any kind of big deal.

However personally I do think this means Tauriel will die in BOFA if Legolas has any kind of romantic feeling towards her at all which now seems likely.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 11 2013, 9:13am

Post #2 of 33 (966 views)
Shortcut
What's the source? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you catch the interview on TV or online, or were you actually lucky enough to see it in person? Shocked Thanks! Smile

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 9:17am

Post #3 of 33 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Finally [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad this has finally been posted. I had decided not to see the second DOS trailer in oder to avoid spoilers, but then broke that promise because people were claiming that it flat-out showed a Legolas-Tauriel "romance". Fortunately the trailer wasn't spoiler heavy, and the Legolas thing seemed from the first like a deliberate red herring. I'd speculated that there were going to be some star-crossed feelings, but no romance as such, and this seems to be exactly what Orlando meant when he said "alluded to but not actualized."

The interview can be seen here.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 9:18am

Post #4 of 33 (958 views)
Shortcut
Youtube [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a google hangout?? thing he did today/ yesterday, depending on your timezone, with entertainment weekly.

A link showed up in my twitter feed but if you search youtube for orlando bloom entertainment weekly it should show up, I don't know how to link these things.

Interview is a long one and most of its about Shakespeare, Hobbit/ lord of the rings stuff is in about the last third.

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 9:19am

Post #5 of 33 (905 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for linking it for me, I am a bit hopeless when it comes to that.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 9:38am

Post #6 of 33 (913 views)
Shortcut
I think so as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I guess especially Thranduil may fear Tauriel with her anti-isolationist views could influence his prince and force him and the whole Realm to get "more involved".

Therefore, even the slightest feelings by Legolas to Tauriel he would probably see as her having a hold over his boy.

As for Legolas and Tauriel - it would only help not to show them as just superior, eternal beings, but more "human" (not in the sense of the race, but as an attribute), rasing the stakes for both of them as the story continues to war.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 11 2013, 9:42am)

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 1:10pm

Post #7 of 33 (767 views)
Shortcut
Great interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

So glad I got to hear Orlando give answers longer than 30 seconds! May have to get to NYC before Romeo and Juliet closes!

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 2:04pm

Post #8 of 33 (779 views)
Shortcut
Ugh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate the logic that Legolas and Tauriel are fond of eachother, but there's no romance, THEREFORE Tauriel must die.

Good to hear (yet again) that no substantial romance happens between them. Thanks for sharing the interview.

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 2:53pm

Post #9 of 33 (738 views)
Shortcut
Avoiding Assumptions [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hate the logic that Legolas and Tauriel are fond of eachother, but there's no romance, THEREFORE Tauriel must die.

That's not it at all. If you've been keeping up on other threads, it's more the fact that she is fanfic and her death would explain her absence from the rest of the lore and The Lord of the Rings movies where should would otherwise, judging by her character traits revealed so far, have done anything to be involved. It's like a reset button. Nonexistence is best explained with nonexistence. Anything else forces fans to rationalize the writing with strained and unlikely assumptions.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 3:00pm

Post #10 of 33 (709 views)
Shortcut
That makes no sense at all [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil isn't in the LOTR films. Bard isn't in the LOTR films. The captain of the guard is not in the LOTR book. Legolas is in the LOTR films and book because he traveled to Rivendell and was became one of the Fellowship. The fellowship never travels to Mirkwood, the story doesn't involve Mirkwood directly, and none of the denizens of Mirkwood participate, other than Legolas. There is no logic to the argument that she has to die to explain her absence in LOTR whatsoever.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 3:19pm

Post #11 of 33 (658 views)
Shortcut
I have been following... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just highly disagree for many of the reasons Voronwe just stated.

It's not hard to avoid assumptions by giving her a valid reason not to be in LotR events (like many characters that were involved in the affairs in the north) besides death.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 3:37pm

Post #12 of 33 (678 views)
Shortcut
There is a third possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

Philippa Boyens stated that Tauriel's story arc was at least in part based on a story in LOTR that "involves an elf" and that "hardcore fans" might recognize. While we are not sure yet, at present the most likely interpretation is Nimrodel's story, because of the similarity of being a Silvan Elf who "left her home when the terror came out of Moria and the Dwarves were driven out", and how afterward her elf prince went to search for her. Nimrodel doesn't die or get killed; rather she goes off to live by herself in a house in the trees at the end of her story arc.
While much of this is in UT, enough is in FOTR (and is related by Legolas) that they could use it. So Tauriel could just leave Mirkwood and take no further part in the greater story arc of LOTR.

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:04pm

Post #13 of 33 (628 views)
Shortcut
She could, but why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do we need to know what happens to Tauriel? Why can't she just appear in her scene, and then go away?

Why does the movie need all these extra plot lines and distractions?

Why can't it be about Bilbo and the dwarves?

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:13pm

Post #14 of 33 (606 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully that is what will happen. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why do we need to know what happens to Tauriel? Why can't she just appear in her scene, and then go away?

Hopefully she'll just have her appearance around Mirkwood and that will be it (keeping my fingers crossed).

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 4:25pm

Post #15 of 33 (615 views)
Shortcut
Sense [In reply to] Can't Post

You deny any sense of it whatsoever? Really? Or do you simply disagree? Tauriel is the only one of your examples who Tolkien never writes about. That itself increases the likelihood of the reset button. The captain of the guard had no name because he (gender presumed) had no significance beyond his failure. Tauriel clearly has more significance. I have mentioned "significance" before. It relates to not dropping the story of a character after a brief appearance. Being significant demands more elaboration as to their fate. Authors frequently say they let their characters write the story for themselves. All my impressions of her say Tauriel would never stand back and wait for events to control her fate in The Lord of the Rings. She would have been there and nothing would stop that, much like Eowyn. We would have seen her in some way like we saw Faramir, brother of Boromir, who was sent to the Rivendell, while Faramir perfomed his own duties. If Tauriel and Legolas were a team, she would have been there - if she existed.

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 11 2013, 4:25pm)

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 4:29pm

Post #16 of 33 (589 views)
Shortcut
Because people will care about her character, [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why.

Galadriel, Saruman, Radagast, and Legolas do not appear in Tolkien's The Hobbit. They are all part of an "extra plot line". Should they just appear in their scenes and go away? Talisa in Game of Thrones was an entirely made-up female character who does not exist in George R.R. Martin's books. Weren't people gutted when she died at the Red Wedding? Or should she also have just appeared in her scene and gone away?

The movie will be about Bilbo, the Dwarves, and Gandalf. Tauriel will have maybe 20 minutes or less of screen time in a 3 hour movie.

In Reply To

Why does the movie need all these extra plot lines and distractions?

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 4:36pm

Post #17 of 33 (583 views)
Shortcut
Composite Characters [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know Nimrodel's story very well, but a composite like that sounds reasonable. I don't believe, however, that Tauriel would ever be content with Nimrodel's fate. My impression is that she would never accept the quiet, uninvolved life of a hermit. That's not to say some other composite wouldn't apply and be a superior solution. I get the feeling Tauriel would have to forcefully restrained and utterly isolated somehow for the rest of her life. I'll find it difficult to suspend my disbelief if, in the film, she lives and does not fight her fate of uninvolved solitude with every bit of her being and soul. And if there's that much investment in her story, what's happened to the story of The Hobbit?

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 11 2013, 4:41pm)

RosieLass
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 4:40pm

Post #18 of 33 (571 views)
Shortcut
Well, since you asked... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. They should. The book isn't about Galadriel and Saruman and Radagast or any of them. So there is no need for a long explication of what happens to them, either.

I haven't read or seen Game of Thrones, so I won't comment on it.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 4:44pm

Post #19 of 33 (560 views)
Shortcut
But your impression is based on a few seconds of film footage. [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is all it can be based on at the moment. Her feelings might change in response to - [?] - something that happens. It's far too soon, I think, to say 'this won't happen, it isn't in her character.'

Equally, I agree with Voronwe that there's no earthly reason why she can't just live on in Mirkwood, uninvolved with the main plotline of LotR.

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 11 2013, 4:47pm

Post #20 of 33 (568 views)
Shortcut
I see your point better now, and I understand why your have your views. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just feel like there are other options to explain her not being with Legolas in LotR other than her dying.

I like the more "honorable" decision of Thranduil sending Legolas to the Council as opposed to avenge some crush that died. In fact, it makes it even more honorable if he went despite the fact that his buddy Tauriel stayed behind to defend their homeland.

I understand that people already hate her simply because she is "made-up," and killing her off would make her just a short glitch created by PB&J in the Tolkien-matrix instead of having to explain what happens in future events that already exist in canon. I just tend to be more optimistic on the idea that she doesn't have to bite the dust "/

OR Legolas and Tauriel might not even end up being that close, so her staying in Mirkwood might be extremely plausible. We just don't know yet.

(This post was edited by Imladris18 on Oct 11 2013, 4:52pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 4:58pm

Post #21 of 33 (558 views)
Shortcut
Schrödinger's Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Which is all it can be based on at the moment. Her feelings might change in response to - [?] - something that happens. It's far too soon, I think, to say 'this won't happen, it isn't in her character.'

Equally, I agree with Voronwe that there's no earthly reason why she can't just live on in Mirkwood, uninvolved with the main plotline of LotR.

I would think those scenes are a representative sample and that is what we should go on because that is what Peter Jackson thinks is important for us to know. And you are right, that's all we have to go on and that is what I am going on. There's nothing to go on that says she'd be happy with an uninvolved life; there's everything to the opposite. She even says, "It is our fight." That doesn't sound to me like someone who would stand back and wait for events to control her life.

I'm choosing to make up reasons about her death based upon what we've been given instead of make up reasons "why she can't just live on in Mirkwood, uninvolved with the main plotline of LotR." For those who are not connected with the film and do not already know Tauriel's fate, is that any less correct? We won't know until we open Schrödinger's film can (figuratively speaking - I know it's all digital now).

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 11 2013, 5:06pm)

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 5:27pm

Post #22 of 33 (522 views)
Shortcut
I like that idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking mainly about continuity issues, but you are right, it would raise the stakes and create some tension for the audience who know they are heading toward a major conflict.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 5:47pm

Post #23 of 33 (519 views)
Shortcut
Because PJ and Co... [In reply to] Can't Post

... decided to do more than that. That they wanted more than that and felt this was what a large crowd of moviegoers would like. Simple as that.

And once you add characters they need proper storylines with at least some depth. Since it is logical in a longer and expanded version like this to give the Mirkwood Elves more of a face and involvement than is given by the book, it is not just her character that gets some more depth, but also the non-royal Woodland Real Elf.

Now this explanation will never satisfy anyone who wanted a straight adaption of TH. But this is not what this movies were meant to be from a very early point in development. One can criticize that, but that is how it is. And it seems a majority is satisfied with it, unless DoS drops significantly in audience numbers and ratings. And I do get the feeling many people seem to be happy for the return of Legolas... or seemed to enjoy characters like Radagast expanded and introduced. I guess for all of those (including myself) those characters were created in a way they/I cared about... and want to know more.

As for Tauriel not being involved in the LotR storyline: She neither has to die nor be part of the Fellowship so she can do her (assumed) character justice. She could be incrdibly important for the war in the North at this point, important for Thranduil to have there with the possibility of the Woodland Realm being attacked very soon by Dol Gulder or/and the Easterlings.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 11 2013, 5:54pm)

Adanel
The Shire

Oct 11 2013, 5:59pm

Post #24 of 33 (547 views)
Shortcut
From the interview [In reply to] Can't Post

I dont think you can say there's NO romance, in fact I thought he confirmed there was, at least from Legolas's point of view anyway, who knows if its reciprocated.
It sounds like it will be subtle and not to the forefront of the movie which is good , but there is enough there that he had to put some thought into how his character would deal with that.

I dont hate on Tauriel, I want to actually see her in the movie before I decide how I feel about the character, so its purely for continuity reasons I think she will become a casualty, not because I want to see the end of her. I think its hard for those of us who have already seen LOTR to really understand what it will be like watching the six movies in the correct order. I have an 8 yr old hobbit obsessed boy who hasnt seen the movies yet but will be lucky enough to do that. The last thing you want when getting to the Fellowship of the Ring is people being dragged out of the story thinking " hey there's Legolas I wonder what happened to his girl"

The only way to get around that I can see is for them to wrap up her storyline completely in the hobbit and death is the most obvious way to do that, but maybe they have come up with something else.

I actually don't like the idea of her becoming Legolas's motivation for going to Rivendell or going on the quest. He does that because of who he is and eventually continues despite Galadriels warning (which of course is not in the movie) due to his admiration for Aragorn. For him to have other reasons driving him alters his character too much for my liking!

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 7:32pm

Post #25 of 33 (506 views)
Shortcut
Quote from Legolas in LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I fear much is going on in the North..."

So, this implies that The Mirkwood Elves are Occupied
with Somone?...(Dunlanders?)
...while only Haldir's LothLorien Army could
come to their AID @ Helm's Deep.

Which would Explain, Tauriel, Thranduiel, Radagast
& Beorn, and maybe even the Rivendell Elves?
And the Dwarves of Erebor!
ALL BUSY Up North.

With Sauron defeated, Elrond, Arwen, etc.
could head Way South to Attend
Aragorn's Coronation!

Jus' a Theory from Bom.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 11 2013, 7:33pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.