Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Character of the Week: Bilbo Baggins

Kim
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 5:37pm

Views: 338
Shortcut
Character of the Week: Bilbo Baggins Can't Post

Welcome to this week’s Character of the Week! Per the sign up thread, we’ve decided to move up the posting day for this thread so as not to conflict with the Chapter of the Week thread.

This week’s character is Bilbo Baggins, and this thread is focused on young Bilbo and Martin Freeman’s portrayal of him, but if you’d like to comment on Old Bilbo and Ian Holm’s performance, feel free!

We first meet young Bilbo sitting outside Bag End smoking his pipe when he encounters Gandalf. For me, this was a perfect introduction and a great callback to the book. I loved his reaction to Gandalf’s suggestion that he go on an adventure.
1) What did you think of the first scene with the new Bilbo? For the book readers, was he as you imagined him from the book?

We were shown just how much Bilbo loved his hobbit hole, and “all the comforts of home”, yet also how he could be a bit fussy. However, in contrast to this was his willingness to jump into the adventure after his initial hesitation. I liked that despite his reservations, he made the decision to join the company (and I liked that he made the decision himself vs. being hustled out the door by Gandalf as in the book).
2) What do you like about Bilbo’s character? Dislike?

My favorite scene of Bilbo was the morning after the unexpected party, when he wanders through Bag End, at first reveling in the quiet, then realizing what he’s missing out on.
3) What was Bilbo’s most memorable moment for you in AUJ?

Bilbo’s relationship with Gandalf starts out based on memories of Bilbo as a child. A somewhat tenuous basis for a relationship, but at least something compared to having basically no introduction to the dwarves before they burst into his home. His introduction to Thorin doesn’t go too well, and stays pretty strained throughout the entire movie.
4) What do you think of Bilbo’s relationship with Gandalf? Thorin? The other dwarves?

Riddles in the Dark was an iconic scene in the book, as well as the movie. This was our first chance to see Bilbo get into a situation that he had to get out of on his own as well.
5) What did you think of Bilbo in this scene, and his interaction with Gollum?

In my opinion, Martin Freeman just *was* Bilbo as soon as we saw him. I can’t imagine anyone else playing this role.
6) What did you think of Martin’s portrayal of Bilbo?

By the end of the movie, Bilbo had gone from meek Hobbit to one who jumped in to save Thorin’s life.
7) How do you hope to see Bilbo develop in the next 2 movies?

8) Other thoughts on Bilbo’s characterization?

Subject User Time
Character of the Week: Bilbo Baggins Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 10 2013, 5:37pm
    OK, then – I'll start, but must be quick again. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 10 2013, 9:44pm
    Mr. Boggins! Eye's on Guard Send a private message to Eye's on Guard Oct 11 2013, 12:32am
    Mr. Baggins Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Oct 11 2013, 1:54am
    Need my own hobbit to hug Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 11 2013, 8:59pm
    Bilbo's character Kilidoescartwheels Send a private message to Kilidoescartwheels Oct 14 2013, 5:31pm
    Well Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 14 2013, 8:26pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.