Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Haunting trailer moment - Bilbo with Ring

Avandel
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 5:05pm

Views: 605
Shortcut
Haunting trailer moment - Bilbo with Ring Can't Post

Think it's generally agreed trailer 2 is incredible with many powerful moments - one of them for me being when Bilbo is holding the Ring and puts his hand to his mouth.

Martin Freeman's expression says so much, and maybe I'm reading too much into this - obviously I don't know what leads up to that moment, or follows. But feel almost wounded by that scene, for me it seems to be the moment that really shows Bilbo has fallen under the Ring's influence, where Bilbo has been frantically searching for the Ring, and yet when he finds it he realizes, to his horror, that his own behavior is mirroring that of Gollum. And he can't let go of the Ring either. Now Bilbo understands, but doesn't understand enough and there's no way he could. And from the looks of things, there is no time to think anyway, as it looks like everyone is in trouble.

Or is it Bilbo just needs the ring to save himself/dwarves, and hasn't put the pieces together yet. So he's frightened he might have lost it - or that's all he thinks, anyway.

But to me, that little scene shows just how evil the Ring really is, because it's so understated. There's no haunting whispers, no flaming letters. No troubled Gandalf. Just a pretty little plain gold ring lying in the leaves that anyone would pick up.

Subject User Time
Haunting trailer moment - Bilbo with Ring Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 10 2013, 5:05pm
    .. Faleel Send a private message to Faleel Oct 10 2013, 5:07pm
    I would completely agree except for one thing ... Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Oct 10 2013, 5:33pm
        Bomby has mentioned this before... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Oct 10 2013, 5:39pm
        very good point! Bilbo would be frantic..... Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 10 2013, 9:35pm
            A take it back ... Arandir Send a private message to Arandir Oct 11 2013, 10:32am
    Freeman says so much with his physicality and expressions. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Oct 10 2013, 5:39pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.