Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Haunting trailer moment - Bilbo with Ring

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 7 (630 views)
Shortcut
Haunting trailer moment - Bilbo with Ring Can't Post

Think it's generally agreed trailer 2 is incredible with many powerful moments - one of them for me being when Bilbo is holding the Ring and puts his hand to his mouth.

Martin Freeman's expression says so much, and maybe I'm reading too much into this - obviously I don't know what leads up to that moment, or follows. But feel almost wounded by that scene, for me it seems to be the moment that really shows Bilbo has fallen under the Ring's influence, where Bilbo has been frantically searching for the Ring, and yet when he finds it he realizes, to his horror, that his own behavior is mirroring that of Gollum. And he can't let go of the Ring either. Now Bilbo understands, but doesn't understand enough and there's no way he could. And from the looks of things, there is no time to think anyway, as it looks like everyone is in trouble.

Or is it Bilbo just needs the ring to save himself/dwarves, and hasn't put the pieces together yet. So he's frightened he might have lost it - or that's all he thinks, anyway.

But to me, that little scene shows just how evil the Ring really is, because it's so understated. There's no haunting whispers, no flaming letters. No troubled Gandalf. Just a pretty little plain gold ring lying in the leaves that anyone would pick up.

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 7 (322 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not pick up this thing, if it lay by the highway.

(This post was edited by Faleel on Oct 10 2013, 5:08pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 5:33pm

Post #3 of 7 (341 views)
Shortcut
I would completely agree except for one thing ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like your idea of Bilbo frantically searching for the Ring (ala Gollum) then realizing how it might slowly start effecting him. The only thing that "may" put that idea in jeopardy is that in the shot of him picking up the Ring, his hand is quite still as he calmly picks it up (very similar to the shot when he found it the first time in Gollum's cave).

If he were really frantic to find it, he would have been clearing the leaves and soil away in a hurry to grab it.

Then again, trailers can "lie" to a certain extent and I still very much like your idea! Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Oct 10 2013, 5:33pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 5:39pm

Post #4 of 7 (301 views)
Shortcut
Bomby has mentioned this before... [In reply to] Can't Post

When is Shocked by a Big Spider on his waydown
from seeing The Butterflys...
he have seen him Tumbling
down through the Branches...

What WE didn'nt get to see
is the Ring Flying out his pocket
and Tumbling down (Maybe slow motion?)
just like when it flew up in Prancing Pony
and Landed on Frodo's Finger...

Gunna be Cool, Howard's Music behind it.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Oct 10 2013, 5:41pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 10 2013, 5:39pm

Post #5 of 7 (307 views)
Shortcut
Freeman says so much with his physicality and expressions. [In reply to] Can't Post

This moment in the trailer is very affecting and we don't even know the context! I love that man.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Avandel
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 9:35pm

Post #6 of 7 (188 views)
Shortcut
very good point! Bilbo would be frantic..... [In reply to] Can't Post

And shame on me for not noticing, when one of things that impresses me most about MF as Bilbo is the use of his hands - especially at Bag End when to me it's so effective when Thorin and Gandalf are basically just rolling over this little hobbit (the big bullies LOL!!!) at Bag End - Bilbo seems so fragile and small as those two just talk over him, really.

Perhaps I did see too much in this - perhaps not as it is not in context, but for me it is one of the moments that is striking a deep chord, thanks to the no-words-for-how-good-he-is-as-Bilbo MF.

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 11 2013, 10:32am

Post #7 of 7 (104 views)
Shortcut
A take it back ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just saw the trailer and the shot of his hand isn't a "calm" as I'd anticipated ...

Perhaps I did see too much in this

Though I still hope you're right Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.