Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
What's the story with 'Hobbit' video games?

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 3:54pm

Post #1 of 24 (1409 views)
Shortcut
What's the story with 'Hobbit' video games? Can't Post

With LOTR, there were three very solid tie in games based on the movies, two of them with EA I believe.

Since then, there have been numerous ones dealing with either LOTR or Middle Earth in general.

Besides the XBOX one in 2003 based on The Hobbit, there hasn't been any movie tie-in ones that I know of.

Does anyone have any more information as to if there will be video games based on the three films and who has the rights to them?

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

gliido
Bree

Oct 9 2013, 3:59pm

Post #2 of 24 (1064 views)
Shortcut
Guardians of Middle Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The MOBA "Guardians of Middle-Earth" is the only one I know of that currently features characters from The Hobbit. I think there are some mobile games, too, but those aren't what you're looking for.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 4:00pm

Post #3 of 24 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Battle for Middle-earth III please :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Or a RPG Elder Scrolls style.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 4:03pm

Post #4 of 24 (1037 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I actually tried out a few of those mobile ones. [In reply to] Can't Post

They were decent, but I got sick of them after a while. I would love games that had the same visuals, sounds, voices, etc. as the films, just like they did with LOTR. Or if anything, just one game to sum up the whole story.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 4:04pm

Post #5 of 24 (1045 views)
Shortcut
If they made an Elder Scrolls type game for Middle Earth... [In reply to] Can't Post

I might never leave my couch again! Skyrim is so detailed and amazing, I couldn't imagine having that same quality and experience in Middle Earth.

Oh, the hours I would spend.....

gliido
Bree

Oct 9 2013, 4:07pm

Post #6 of 24 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Lord of the Rings Online [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you ever tried Lord of the Rings Online? It's based off of the books (not the films), and their recreation of Middle Earth is gorgeous even for a 6-year-old game.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 4:10pm

Post #7 of 24 (1020 views)
Shortcut
I never got around to it the last few years until... [In reply to] Can't Post

just about a month ago. I have played it on and off, still trying to get used to it, but it really does look amazing. It's very nice that it's free, too.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 4:10pm

Post #8 of 24 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Played it for a while... [In reply to] Can't Post

... however, quality has become bad over the last years imho and it simply took them too long to come to the really interesting story places again.

But yes, at least for a while it was quite a good way to be able to run around ME by yourself.

I am usually not a gamer at all though, especially not a MMO player, so I always had to take the game mechanics unwillingly to get the stuff I wanted (stories, landscape) :)

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 9 2013, 4:11pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 4:47pm

Post #9 of 24 (996 views)
Shortcut
Frustrated, waiting for a Vblog or New Trailer, this past [In reply to] Can't Post

Month...Bomby Bit the Bullet...
LOTRO is where I go
yet haven't been a gamer Ever,
Since 1989, When Mario Brothers was introduced?
Nintendo...
Seem to do better as a Dwarve than a Hobbit or Elf?

Frustrating at first but BOMBY is Now at Level 5
but would love to know HOW? can I get Different New envionrments..
Seems I need to Level UP or somethin..
It's trying to keep from spending anymore, $$
so figured out Log out and In again, I guess gets me Mithral

Yes, Elrond, Gandalf does appear, so does Dwalin, Gloin and Gimli
...was cool to fight Gimli. (Sounds like JRD voice too)

Picking a Name is hard...All the good ones are taken..so My many are very Wirrd...
Hard to play together w/ TORnsibs
but maybe? PM Bomby and we jump off here and CoPlay?

Actually try the Gaming and Collectibles Forum
which is where this Thread should Belong.
Bomby is going there NOW!

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2013, 5:28pm

Post #10 of 24 (957 views)
Shortcut
The tie-in video games from LOTR are still classics, IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

Classics of the "mindless hack-and-slash" genre, maybe, but classics nonetheless. Cool And easily the best movie tie-in games I've ever played. I was a little disappointed not to see similar games for The Hobbit, though I don't play video games as much as I used to so it doesn't really affect me. I thought about trying the mobile game but it didn't look particularly interesting.

Anyway, it's possible we'll see a console game based on the B05A, but I wouldn't count on it. All the game licenses have been consolidated by WB Interactive Entertainment (which means no more EA games, so unfortunately a BfME3 is unlikely) and their output has been pretty disappointing so far.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Oct 9 2013, 5:29pm)

tripecac
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 6:21pm

Post #11 of 24 (913 views)
Shortcut
LOTRO is great [In reply to] Can't Post

I second the LOTRO recommendation. Some of the quest areas don't relate directly to the lore, but recently LOTRO has been focused more and more on following the path of the books. East Rohan (the most recent expansion) was my favourite so far. Helm's Deep (due out in November) looks really cool too.

Basically, for those of you unfamiliar with LOTRO or in need of a refresher, it's an MMO set in MIDDLE EARTH that is FREE and can be played SOLO, so you don't need to invest money in it, or find other people to play with.

1) MIDDLE EARTH: The game is enormous, easily the largest game I've ever played. It covers most of western part of Middle Earth, not just the areas covered by the Fellowship and The Hobbit. Most areas are familiar to those of us who read the books (e.g., Shire, Bree, Misty Mountains, Mirkwood, Moria, Isengard, Rohan). Other areas are more peripheral, and serve mostly to add variety to the leveling process (Evendim, North Downs, Forochel, Angmar, Enedwaith). Each area is huge, and will take several days (and sometimes weeks) to complete. The areas have great variety, and can be beautiful (Shire), ugly (Angmar), spacious (Eregion), claustrophobic (Moria), lush (Trollshaws), stark (Forochel), relaxing (Lorien), stressful (Ettenmoors), etc. Some areas are more fun for others, although people sometimes disagree about which areas are the most fun for them.

2) FREE: As you complete quests and "deeds", you earn Turbine Points, which act like real money in that you can use them to buy more quest areas and expansion packs. In theory, you never need to spend any money. However, if you do spend money (I subscribed for $10/month), you can get in-game perks (like larger inventory, faster travelling, etc.) and instant access to all quest areas. I played for free for the first few months, and then subscribed once I realized that I'd rather pay $10/month than do some of the more repetitive deeds.

3) SOLO: The vast majority of the game can be played solo; the multiplayer-only quests are optional. This is one of the things that appeals to me about LOTRO. I can play it whenever I want, and I don't need to coordinate with other people. So, to me, LOTRO feels like a single player game, except I occasionally see other players running around. Joining with others can be fun, but it can also increase the time commitment to the game, which is not always ideal when you have a family (and other games to play).

My main LOTRO character is "caught up" with all the solo content. I'm at level cap and have finished questing in all the areas, and am waiting for the next expansion (Helm's Deep) to be released. While I wait for Helm's Deep, I play other games. Once Helm's Deep is released, I'll play it until I finish it (which will take a few weeks at my pace), and then I will wait until more content is added. So, LOTRO doesn't take over my life, or even my gaming time; I play it like an offline/single player game. This solo play style feels completely natural, and is very satisfying. I never feel like LOTRO is a "time sink" or "addiction", which are things I heard about WOW and other MMOs. "Grinding" is completely optional, and is more for the multiplayer content, which is much harder than the solo content.

If you are at all interested in Middle Earth gaming, I highly recommend LOTRO. It's a great game, and has tons of cool, memorable moments. It's easily my most played game all time, and I'm just a casual LOTRO player (solo content only, only one character at level cap).

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 6:41pm

Post #12 of 24 (895 views)
Shortcut
2 films to 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's very important to remember that this was originally going to be 2 films.

With that in mind, who's to say they didn't make a video game based on movie 1? The change to 3 movies happened quite late, probably too late to change the game and omit elements from what became Desolation of Smaug.
So obviously when it was 2 films there would now be parts in the first game that would have been from the 2nd movie..... if you see what i mean.

So they cancelled it and will release a game including the first two movies...... just like the LOTR games by EA that we all know and love did.

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

LordotRings93
Rohan

Oct 9 2013, 6:47pm

Post #13 of 24 (930 views)
Shortcut
New Middle-earth game in the works [In reply to] Can't Post

Recently, it was reported that WB had trademarked names like "Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor", and an employee at Monolith (subsidiary of WB who works on the LOTR games) said he did concept work for a new AAA title LOTR game that was an open world RPG. So expect some news in the coming months on a new LOTR game.

War In The North is great, and it's a shame Snowblind was dissolved. They couldn't release any DLC for it, unfortunately. :/ But yeah, definitely LOTRO is the best right now. I play it constantly throughout the day (while having TH/LOTR soundtracks playing near me!). Got Helm's Deep preordered and everything and I'm all set. If anyone is on the Brandywine server, send "Crogard" a message!

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Alerik
The Shire

Oct 9 2013, 6:49pm

Post #14 of 24 (884 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for all this information [In reply to] Can't Post

Been quite hesitant to play LOTRO mainly because I don´t like online games. But now that you assert it can be payed mostly as a single player I guess I´m convinced.
Te day Bethesda announces a game like the Elder Scrolls but based on the Middle Earth lore I will be the happiest person.

sycorax82
Rohan

Oct 9 2013, 7:01pm

Post #15 of 24 (879 views)
Shortcut
Yeah the TTT and ROTK EA games were brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to love playing them. I would recommend them to anyone. The levels were always really exciting and you had brilliant real LOTR cast voices used throughout the game, as well as the score, they were hugely atmospheric! I remember doing the Osgiliath level a ton of times cause I kept getting killed.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 7:07pm

Post #16 of 24 (860 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

tripecac
Rivendell

Oct 9 2013, 8:09pm

Post #17 of 24 (835 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, I also have avoided MMOs; I'm just not interesting in fitting my schedule around other people, especially potentially immature people, and having to deal with daily pressure (from players and the company) to spend, spend, spend.

Because of that MMO association, I only got into LOTRO reluctantly, years after its launch (after it had become Free to Play).

However, as soon as I started playing LOTRO, I was hooked. I made a point of playing it like an offline game, ignoring all the other players and the store. It was a long time before I finally bought things (out of curiosity mostly) and played in some optional multiplayer (fellowship) quests, and neither (the store or the multiplayer) wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

I still much prefer the solo content, but there's a lot of people who love LOTRO's multiplayer aspect even more. It's great that LOTRO supports both types of players (solo and social).

(This post was edited by tripecac on Oct 9 2013, 8:11pm)

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 2:57am

Post #18 of 24 (762 views)
Shortcut
Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you happen to be on the Firefoot server?

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

flameofudun
Lorien

Oct 10 2013, 2:59am

Post #19 of 24 (773 views)
Shortcut
I heard! So excited for that game! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I also wish you were on the Firefoot server, that's mine!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 6:26am

Post #20 of 24 (779 views)
Shortcut
Fans were actually working on such project [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.moddb.com/...-roleplaying-project but weren't allowed to continue because of Warner Bross and copyright.

LOTRO may be the best game but since I am having much problem downloading and updating it, the best game for me is Third Age Total War, especially with MOS submod. It creates a superb Middle Earth atmosphere where you can play many numbers of factiosn and fight across realistic Middle Earth, created on the image of the map.

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Oct 10 2013, 10:00am

Post #21 of 24 (765 views)
Shortcut
ME-DEM [In reply to] Can't Post

There's also another project, ME-DEM, that seems to be in the works. They released a demo earlier this year.

http://www.me-dem.org/

http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=1491.0

Beeromir
The Shire

Oct 10 2013, 3:49pm

Post #22 of 24 (737 views)
Shortcut
I'm the same way on LOTRO [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently made it to the 85 level cap after first subscribing to the game Christmas '11. It's a very beautiful game, and I enjoy the freedom of being able to explore wherever I want.

One day I might work on crafting, another I do the epic quests, another I work on deeds, etc. I sometimes go three weeks without logging on, then might log on three times in a week. The solo aspect of the game is crucial to it being enjoyable, although every once in a while I will find a lower level person and help them out -- especially if it looks like they are getting whooped by a monster!

Gladden server for me.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 11 2013, 2:59pm

Post #23 of 24 (714 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like I need to play more! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bumpypotato
Bree

Oct 13 2013, 12:16pm

Post #24 of 24 (717 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps... [In reply to] Can't Post

Could they be planning the same principle behind the original tie ins? As in, the first game focusses on the first two movies, whereas the second is entirely focussed on the final movie. This would make sense, since their really isn't enough diversity of locations in the first movie to justify a decent hack'n'slash game.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.