Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It started off being a fable ... but has now turned into some weird fan-fiction. Tolkien wouldn't be amused. It is titled: The Master of wood, cloth and animals.

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 10 2013, 9:16am

Views: 183
Shortcut
It started off being a fable ... but has now turned into some weird fan-fiction. Tolkien wouldn't be amused. It is titled: The Master of wood, cloth and animals. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Master of wood, cloth and animals.

Once upon a time, in the land of Middle-earth, long before Hobbits had moved into the Shire and during a time of peace and prosperity, there was a fox. This particular fox was rather cunning, and would wonder the wilderness stealing and pilfering anything that he could. The fox had his own hoard, and piled away in cave were long lost treasures - swords from Gondolin, treasures from Dwarven kingdoms, and the most splendid jewels from Numenor. The hoard also contained less impressive treasures - useless purses, worn clothes, trinkets of gold, and the occasional silver spoon.

This fox could not speak, and had a glazed expression - he still very much had his animal instinct. Regardless, he regularly sold his items to passing travelers. One morning, an Ent knocked on the door, and said:

"Hello Mr. Fox. I'm travelling up from Fangorn, and was robbed on my way Northwards, not far from Isengard, actually. They stole all my belongings (and my wife too). The weather ahead looks bad, do you have a new hat I could buy from you"

Without being able to speak, the fox trotted off down into the cave, and bought back a small object in his mouth. Dropping it on the floor, the Ent paid him generously for it.

The Ent was about to leave, but suddenly heard a scream for the back of the cave:

"Don't take it!"

The fox slammed the door shut suddenly and there was an all-mighty bang in the cave. Already being late for the his Moot, the Ent decided to leave immediately.

The Ent continued his journey westward, and stooped by a river to have a quick refreshing drink. Having been too rushed to get to the Moot, the Ent had completely forgotten to examine the purse he had recently purchased from the Fox.

"Queer old fellow, that fox. And what's this?! He's given me a purse, not a hat. What was he thinking?!"

Though the Ent was flummoxed, he was also rather amused. Embroided on the purse was "friendly purse". And so the Ent decided to put what remaining coins he had left in the purse. As he put is hand in, the purse suddenly came alive. It bit the Ent's arm, and he shrieked in horror. Purses are the mischief and this was no exception. Before the Ent could do anything, the purse drained all the energy from the Ent. He had become a tree!

The purse burped in content, and began to crawl away.

Luckily, all of this had been seen, from afar. And Eru was not amused. And so picking up the purse he declared:

"He who breathes out lies will not escape, and I give you the gift of speech".

"'Ere, 'oo are you?" it squeaked

Eru replied "You shall never tell a lie again." Turning to the tree!Ent, Eru tutted. "You should have listened to me when you had a chance. I shall not restore you, but I give you the gift of hearing. Passerbys shall rest by your trunk and roots, and you will listen to there woes. But, be warned. If you cause them harm, I'll not be far away."

"And do not think I haven't punished that fox either. Neither of you would be in this mess had it not been for that thief of a fox. He will think for the rest of time what he has done here. He shall never stop thinking! That's the last time he steals from anyone."

And so the man, with a wrinkled and ruddy face, bright blue eyes, and a bristling brown beard skipped off. All the tree and purse could do was look on and see the man with yellow boots skip off into the trees.

And the moral of the story is ... ummmm .... I'm not sure there is one. But if you ever come across a vengeful tree, a thinking fox and a talking purse, you now know the story behind them.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Oct 10 2013, 9:22am)

Subject User Time
Tolkienia Challenge: Animal Tales, and a Voting Surprise. A writing challenge and a special voting opportunity! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 9 2013, 6:02pm
    Very cool! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 10 2013, 12:51am
    Epic name Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 10 2013, 1:51am
    It started off being a fable ... but has now turned into some weird fan-fiction. Tolkien wouldn't be amused. It is titled: The Master of wood, cloth and animals. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Oct 10 2013, 9:16am
        Daniel this is awesome!!! // (*applause*) Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 10 2013, 2:25pm
        O.K. I give up. You win the purse! 'Ere. Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 10 2013, 6:35pm
        This is Brilliant! malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Oct 10 2013, 6:38pm
        Oh, I think it's very much a fable.... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 10 2013, 9:08pm
            The fox's punishment Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 10 2013, 9:24pm
            I haven't a clue! DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Oct 10 2013, 9:39pm
                Could you fit in Cirdan anywhere? malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Oct 10 2013, 9:42pm
                    Hmmm.. an Elven zimmerframe?! elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 10 2013, 9:53pm
                        Well he had to do something sitting around in the Grey Havens for 7,000 years malickfan Send a private message to malickfan Oct 10 2013, 10:39pm
    JRRT's "The Fox and The Chicken" Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Oct 10 2013, 5:54pm
        Ha!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 10 2013, 6:00pm
        I assume this is for the Pre-K Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 10 2013, 6:33pm
        ROFL!!// elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 10 2013, 9:04pm
    Quick Announcement about the Poll: Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 10 2013, 11:42pm
    Broken Poll Fix! Vote now if you haven't been able to! :) Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 11 2013, 3:45pm
        Or, vote on these by P.M. It's the same list. "Keep it secret . . ." :) Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 11 2013, 4:00pm
    The Lay of the Bears of Beleriand (or the "Lay of the Land") Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 12 2013, 8:43pm
        This is awesome Ethel! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 13 2013, 1:56am
    The bear and the bee Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 12 2013, 9:30pm
        Love the way you wrapped this up Rem...// Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 13 2013, 1:56am
        I love this story! Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Oct 13 2013, 2:04am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.