Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Well at least Weta is putting out some very cool Hobbit merchandise even if WB is not.

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 7:00am

Post #1 of 22 (856 views)
Shortcut
Well at least Weta is putting out some very cool Hobbit merchandise even if WB is not. Can't Post

They have started their DOS line as well, and come Oct. 14th they will having pre-orders for the Thranduil figure. They have a bunch of great stuff from AUJ. I particularly love Bofur's hat - which would seriously deplete my pocketbook unfortunately. But it's glorious! Of course they have statues galore. I'm waitingwaitingwaiting for a Smaug (one that I could afford that is). Their things are on the expensive side, but well worth it, considering the quality of the work that's put into them. Memorable collectibles for the serious Hobbit-fan-geek.

I have a lot of the things they sold during the LOTR films, and can vouch for their quality. So, browse and dream....
http://www.wetanz.com/the-hobbit-DOS/

(I'd insert a photo of Bofur's hat, but am technically-challenged)
Okay, this is the best I can do....it's the link to their AUJ stuff and Bofur's hat is front and center:
http://www.wetanz.com/hobbit-auj/

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Oct 10 2013, 7:08am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 7:44am

Post #2 of 22 (396 views)
Shortcut
I love the art prints [In reply to] Can't Post

And I find it amusing that for all the criticism heaped on Azog, the only one of the figures to have sold out so far is Azog on his warg. So somebody out there loves him! Wink

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 8:00am

Post #3 of 22 (380 views)
Shortcut
yes, their artwork is gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I love their books. I got the two from the first film and am eagerly awaiting the Art & Design book for DOS. They're beautiful and informative! I love reading about the behind-the-scenes things that went into creating what we see on screen.

But I still want Bofur's hat. Tongue

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 10 2013, 8:45am

Post #4 of 22 (368 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And I find it amusing that for all the criticism heaped on Azog, the only one of the figures to have sold out so far is Azog on his warg. So somebody out there loves him! Wink

To be honest, this message board is the only place I've seen so much Azog hate. Most people I know or at other fan sites, like Azog.

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 8:59am

Post #5 of 22 (368 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the books too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to the DOS one (or two, if we're lucky). They're the only things I know I will definitely buy. Mostly I just admire the other stuff!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 12:14pm

Post #6 of 22 (307 views)
Shortcut
Monday [In reply to] Can't Post

Is going to be a busy ordering day and starts a busy reporting time for articles on the FP for new items. Gonna be fun. Cool

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 1:02pm

Post #7 of 22 (280 views)
Shortcut
Personall Bomby perfers to Support Weat over Warner's../// [In reply to] Can't Post

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 1:15pm

Post #8 of 22 (273 views)
Shortcut
I prefer Weta myself as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 2:30pm

Post #9 of 22 (239 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Old Toby [In reply to] Can't Post

For posting this.

Like other good folks have said, I am perfectly happy buying from and supporting Weta versus WB necessarily.

I love the Hobbit holes! Size-wise they might be the perfect scale to add to my Christmas train table! Smile Hmmm....

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 2:33pm

Post #10 of 22 (242 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Holes [In reply to] Can't Post

They're pretty cool and small. So you won't be losing a ton of display space. I'm looking forward to order the new statues we saw at comic-con Thranduil, Tauriel, Radagast, and Gloin.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 2:41pm

Post #11 of 22 (240 views)
Shortcut
I always consider display space Elessar [In reply to] Can't Post

I limit myself to one hutch for the porcelain collectibles (dust free, safe, and keeps me out of Debtor's Prison with the size limit.)

The Hobbit holes look really nice though their footprints are a bit bigger than statues. The Thranduil statue that I saw (if its the one you are thinking of getting) was really nice!

My son likes my porcelain and display pieces but *loves* his swords. Three so far! His bedroom wall is impressive and I'm so happy with the job they have done with each one.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 2:47pm

Post #12 of 22 (233 views)
Shortcut
Display Space [In reply to] Can't Post

I can assure you as a hardcore collector that can go fast as does the money on them. lol

Nah, these are tiny. They have a much smaller footprint that the 1:6 statues. Now, some of the environments like Bag End, Orthanc, Rivendell, and Barad-dur have bigger footprints. It is a really nice piece. Such an elegant look and feel to it.

The swords you can get are pretty cool. I've had a few but I sold them a while back. They can create a cool looking display as people could see in the collection we featured on the FP recently.

The statues and Hobbit Holes are made out of polystone which is a "type" of plastic. They're actually a bit stronger than porcelain which is nice considering they cost so much.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 2:51pm

Post #13 of 22 (215 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

All good information Elessar! I'm going to have a closer look and add those Hobbit holes to my early-Christmas list (like first breakfast, second breakfast idea) to put them on the holiday table.

You will have to post some updated pics for us of you get some more goodies...!

(Just watch out for Daniel) Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 2:55pm

Post #14 of 22 (213 views)
Shortcut
No problem. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Always glad to help. Cool Cool!! They're also affordable at $40 a piece. So someone could get them as a gift and not totally break the bank.

I will do that. I'm having a custom display cabinet built so I will be reworking the look of the collection and when the new additions come in I'll post some more pics.

I know. Sneaky Hobbitses. lolTongue

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 3:37pm

Post #15 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
Love the Hobbit holes too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially after my visit to Matamata in March. You can really relate to them this way.

Got Sam's yellow door hole as a birthday gift for my wife (she is a Sam fan). And the second hole (brown door) is the one they let you go inside. :)

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Old Toby
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 3:42pm

Post #16 of 22 (201 views)
Shortcut
Yes those hobbit holes are charming! [In reply to] Can't Post

And relatively inexpensive compared to their other environments (not to mention more space-saving and less heavy!) and my, wouldn't some of them look wonderful as your train chugs along through the Shire!

Besides Bofur's hat, I would love to own Orcrist!! I have both Arwen's sword and Sting already. Arwen's sword is impossibly heavy and awkward to hold, but looks great on its stand. I suspect Orcrist would be much the same, but still, if I had ten grand to spend frivolously, it would be one of the things I'd be considering. (Not going to happen anytime soon, let me say!)

(This post was edited by Old Toby on Oct 10 2013, 3:43pm)

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 4:51pm

Post #17 of 22 (170 views)
Shortcut
Sweet!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm jealous. Someday, I will make it down there and see that for myself. For now its my way of bringing not only Middle-earth to my home but New Zealand as well.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 10 2013, 5:31pm

Post #18 of 22 (169 views)
Shortcut
Orcrist *is* very heavy Old Toby! [In reply to] Can't Post

And front-heavy too. Actually I have to admit we have 2 of them in the house. Son and I each needed our own. Blush I give RA credit big-time for using that Hero blade in Dwarf scale! A monster I am sure.

I will post a pic if I add the Hobbit-holes. I can picture them back in the pine-woods of my little town...!!!!

Arandir
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 5:35pm

Post #19 of 22 (161 views)
Shortcut
Respect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so jealous right now! Two Orcrist(s) in one house ... amazing! Angelic

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 10:31pm

Post #20 of 22 (100 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it has been a trip in a lifetime. Here a photo of me in the real Bagshot Row 40 hole (2nd hole that was released), that lies just to the right of Bag-End:

[urlhttp://www.henneth-annun.ru/index.php/2013/08/weta-hobbichya-nora-na-begshot-rou-40/

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 10:52pm

Post #21 of 22 (98 views)
Shortcut
That's awesome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said so jealous.

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 11 2013, 12:56am

Post #22 of 22 (91 views)
Shortcut
It *is* neat Arandir!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm so jealous right now! Two Orcrist(s) in one house ... amazing! Angelic

I like to think we are prepared for
1. Dwarves knocking at the door
2. Zombies
3. Carving large roasts and/or birthday cakes

Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.