Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 4:20am

Post #101 of 150 (317 views)
Shortcut
Buzz Lightyear, lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew something seemed familiar about his character.TongueLaugh

In addition to the story concerns I spoke of earlier, I've started to share some of the qualms you have mentioned, as well. I'm still hoping for a second viewing--maybe this weekend if there is any time--to see how it sits after another try.

acheron
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 12:42pm

Post #102 of 150 (271 views)
Shortcut
So much for that [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh well. Great season for the Pirates anyway though. Hope they'll make it back to the playoffs next year.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 10 2013, 1:13pm

Post #103 of 150 (263 views)
Shortcut
It was fun while it lasted [In reply to] Can't Post

Last night I had my lucky Clemente jersey and everything... *sigh* The Cardinals pitching was just too good.

Yes, I do think the Pirates will have a strong team next year, and hopefully another playoff run! If I have to wait another 21 years, I don't know if I'll be able to jump up and down and cheer all that well! Wink

Good luck to your Red Sox. Smile

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 11:27pm

Post #104 of 150 (257 views)
Shortcut
You have a point there. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Unfortunately for me, the more they violated not only the laws of physics, but the laws of how many times someone can miraculously be saved in horrendously unforgiving space, the more it took me out of the movie. I can't tell you how disappointed I am by that, because I was enthralled for the first hour or so. By the time the movie ended, I couldn't help but think "Uplifting, and great symbolism, but really? We're supposed to still believe this was possible?"

After the umpteenth narrow escape turned into the bazillionth peril, I was thinking, "Poor girl just can't catch a break!" But I've also flown missions that felt that way, and there were many simulator rides that were designed that way, so it didn't take me out of the story.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 10 2013, 11:28pm

Post #105 of 150 (260 views)
Shortcut
I keep telling myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

that this massive change of fortune the Pirates had going is the reason for the Steelers' woeful season. Balance, and all that. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Oct 11 2013, 1:37am

Post #106 of 150 (239 views)
Shortcut
Not sure what it means [In reply to] Can't Post

for the Penguins, though! Wink

"Our perennial spiritual and psychological task is to look at things familiar until they become unfamiliar again." --G. K. Chesterton

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 11 2013, 9:47am

Post #107 of 150 (248 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did get the feeling when thinking about it afterwards that the story, of course, is a chain of highly unlikely events (set a little bit in the future in which the Chinese station is finished and all of them are in different orbits than today Tongue ) but at some point Sandra had pulled me in so much and let me have invest in her character so much that I just wanted her to make it.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 11 2013, 7:32pm

Post #108 of 150 (230 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know what I'm getting into. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Evil cackling on your part is still appropriate, though. I have a feeling I'm going to be screaming and tearing out my hair when it ends.

I'm watching the first anime currently, since I've heard it explains the earliest episodes better, but when things start getting wonky and deviating from the manga, I'll switch to Brotherhood and follow that to the end. (I may also go to the bookstore a few times and stand in the aisles for a few hours each time in order to read the manga. Laugh)

If you want to know, what brought me into the fandom were Edward's tantrums over being called 'short'. As a short person myself, I sympathize. However, my motivations for remaining in the fandom are changing... *sigh*

Came for Edward Elric, staying for Team Mustang. Blush Crazy Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 12 2013, 7:15am

Post #109 of 150 (228 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well I haven't seen much of the 2003, but there's been much talk about it on MarkWatches and apparently the pacing of the two is quite different: the order that certain plot points come up and how quickly varies a lot. At least one major plot point comes in far earlier in Brotherhood, so you may have some confusion as to what's going on when you switch over. Just FYI. And enjoy...Shorty! Sly

Team Mustang FTW!

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 12 2013, 12:30pm

Post #110 of 150 (221 views)
Shortcut
Saw Gravity again last night. [In reply to] Can't Post

With the family... had to catch it again on the big screen in 3D.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 12 2013, 1:34pm

Post #111 of 150 (217 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's a large part of what made the movie great [In reply to] Can't Post

at some point Sandra had pulled me in so much and let me have invest in her character so much that I just wanted her to make it.

She was vulnerable, but smart and tough at the same time. Her vulnerability kept me on the edge of my seat and the smart/tough gave me hope that she'd actually make it. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 13 2013, 12:50am

Post #112 of 150 (217 views)
Shortcut
Mustang FTW indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahahahaha. Just about died of laughter last night when I got to the 'tiny miniskirts' and "I love dogs!" part. Laugh Laugh Laugh Insisted on my brother sitting down and rewatching that entire episode again with me. I'm always looking to make new converts... Tongue

Thanks for the warning about being confused when I switch over. No doubt I would have just attributed it to being a newcomer in the fandom.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 3:36pm

Post #113 of 150 (166 views)
Shortcut
** The conversation continues in this thread! ** [In reply to] Can't Post

The thread from last weekend (Oct 4-6) has not fallen off the front page so we'll continue talking about what movies (et. al.) we've seen this last weekend (Oct 11-13) although... as always... you're never limited to a particular time span. Talk about whatever you've seen recently since the last time you've posted. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 4:02pm

Post #114 of 150 (184 views)
Shortcut
Gravity (spoilers) and Deathly Hallows [In reply to] Can't Post

Deathly Hallows
My son has been binging on Full Metal Alchemist shows on the big tv so, Saturday night, I was stuck to my bedroom where I'm limited to either broadcast tv (no cable) - which was a bust - or a DVD in my possession. I chose Deathly Hallows part 1 and 2. I had to fast forward through some chasing scenes (just not worth, imo, watching people running, yet once again) but mostly it kept me entertained for yet another viewing.

I had such a unique experience reading the book - since my friend and I did this really intense online collaborative reading where we emailed each other after each chapter. It remains one of my favorite life experiences. So the movie makes me think of that experience and I enjoy that. I also am always aware that the parts of the book where I said (as well as my friend) "I can't wait to see this in the theater!" were not rendered nearly so emotional and dynamic in the movie as I hoped they would be. But what I enjoy does outweigh some of that.

I was, yet again this time around, struck by the final scene at platform 9 3/4. My first 'movie' exposure to Harry Potter was a trailer (teaser?) that featured the train and it got me really excited. Having the train be the last thing I'll see makes me tear up.

Gravity

This came to my attention when I watched a trailer for it on Flixster (I can watch trailers on my tv using my Roku device). Then the buzz started and never stopped with this movie. So I said I wanted it to be my birthday celebration 'event'. I think I was just expecting some stunning visuals enhanced by 3D and the good buzz made me hope I'd get more. I don't usually need more expectation going into a movie than this.

I was a bit surprised (in a good way) by what I got. I'm sure I enjoyed the visuals on some level although I didn't gasp in awe or anything. And I'm sure the drama kept me engaged. But what hooked me was the theme/message as I perceived it.

I had bookmarked an article at io9 I wanted to come back to after I watched the movie: Gravity's ending holds a deeper meaning, says Alfonso Cuaron

Although the meaning that Cuaron intended isn't exactly where I went, I don't think it's all that much in conflict. Here's what I wrote my son as we discussed the movie (which we'd seen together with the rest of the family) by emal:

I've been thinking about gravity as a metaphor for connection to life (with earth representing life?) and all the joys and hardships that life serves up. 

In terms of gravity, it was gravity that killed the daughter. But it was gravity that was needed to bring Stone (Bullock) back to life/earth. Wow.. her name is Stone.

Stone keeps letting things drift off into space. She's forgetting she doesn't have gravity but, in a way, she's letting go (emotionally) of wanting gravity. Those objects are like little Freudian slips echoing what she herself is doing. She's drifting. When she makes a commitment to get back to earth/life... she stops drifting. She says it. It's time to stop driving and go home. And she stops drifting in space. She now respects how a lack of gravity impacts an object in space and she finds ways to work around it. (a reference to the fire extinguisher which we had discussed afterward. The first time she uses it, she doesn't respect the physics and it kicks her butt. The next time, she uses it with great thought and she is the master. She's driving somewhere now... not just driving *anywhere* which is drifting.)

I think I'm more in love with this gravity/earth/life/attachment vs detachment/drifting metaphor than I am in the rebirth thing Cuaron was going for. I mean, it doesn't clash with my take. It just puts the metaphor in a different context. Cuaron sees Stone crawling and standing as rebirth/evolution. I see it as accepting that gravity/connections (and the ultimate loss of those things we connect to) weighs us down and makes life hard but lack of gravity leaves us alone. Stone accepts the burden as part of life... along with the joys. 

As I watched the final minutes of the film, I was just taking in what was happening, processing what had happened, and letting my mind already roam around the concept of gravity being a metaphor for attachment and connections. I sat quietly as Sandra stood up, the screen went black with the word 'g r a v i t y' displayed and I burst into tears. Not the kind of tears that have been trickling for the last few scenes where you're doing a fairly good job of keeping them in control. This was just short of a sob kind of crying and I was struggling to stop. I am an emotional person and cry easily at all kinds of stuff (including tears of joy and bliss... not just sad tears). But I think this is the first reaction of this sort I'd had at a movie where I was basically not crying and then BAM - I was crying from a deep place.

It might just be me and where I've been lately. :-)

I'd like to see it again although I'm not needing the 3D. And I'd love to have a really good, insightful commentary by Cuaron when the movie is released on DVD.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 6:22pm

Post #115 of 150 (155 views)
Shortcut
I didn't pick up on some of those messages [In reply to] Can't Post

when watching the film, but they make sense.

I'm also someone who cries easily - such as when I watch the Olympics and the crowd is roaring and I'm crying like a little girl. Seeing strong emotion always gets me.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

imin
Valinor

Oct 14 2013, 7:39pm

Post #116 of 150 (145 views)
Shortcut
Prisoners, Homeland [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched the trailer and thought this film would be good - actors i like e.g. Jake and Hugh. It's about two families who are friends who each have a little daughter who goes missing one day and the search for those kids and what people will do in their search and desperation.

This was a very heavy going film. Not much at all in film affects me but this film did, especially the scenes involving the bathroom for anyone who has seen it will know what i mean (don't want to spoil it for anyone).

As the film was playing i was thinking would i do what the main characters are doing, especially Hugh Jackman's character. At first i thought it would be what i would do/be prepared to do but as it went on i realised i could never do what he did but also understand why he did what he did.

There is a twist to the movie which both myself and friend i went to watch it with saw coming as we turned to each other and said i bet it's them, but it didn't take anything away from the film. I think the acting was great - especially Jake and Hugh and the film has stayed in my mind with my friend and i talking about it today.

Homeland
New season of Homeland has started - bit of a slow burner but i liked that and hope it returns to its glory of season 1 but part of me thinks it should have just been left as a one season show. Hopefully this season will change my mind, im excited for what i see.

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2013, 7:46pm

Post #117 of 150 (142 views)
Shortcut
Saw a couple this week... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiroshima mon amour and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. (also re-watched the Bunuel/Dali short film Un Chien Andalou)

Caligari was very interesting. Sadly I saw the 240p Youtube stream, so the visuals were harder to follow (had a hard time discerning characters from one another). But it was well worth it. The narrative is very clever. Neat seeing the jarring production design, too.

Hiroshima mon amour is a haunting film, to me. The repetitive dialogue really made me feel like I was floating in and out of a memory. Which is fitting, as the concept of memory plays a big role in the story. The first part of the movie, showing the brutal carnage of the Bomb, was unsettling at times (as it should be). After seeing Emmanuelle Riva in Haneke's Amour, I was really looking forward to seeing her in her prime here. And she didn't disappoint. Working with an amazing script, Riva nails it.

Also watched Un Chien Andalou again (I feel like I'm addicted to it, in a sense). I highly recommend this short film to everyone (it's on Youtube if you're interested). Being a surrealist piece of art, it eludes conventions such as narrative and logic. Lately I've been working to incorporate techniques like these into my own work. It's difficult, but, at the same time, fulfilling. The transitions from shot to shot, connecting images such as ants crawling on a man's palm--to armpit hair--to a sea urchin, are fantastic.

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2013, 7:56pm

Post #118 of 150 (142 views)
Shortcut
Interesting thoughts on Gravity. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so close to seeing it again this weekend, but it didn't work out (didn't see Captain Phillips, either...).

At the end of the movie, I had an overwhelming feeling of anxiety. I had a strange yearning for home. My legs felt like Jell-O, and I really needed to do something. I felt better after walking out of the building, but I still remember that initial reaction.

I wish that the movie had more of a lingering effect on me. It faded from my mind quickly, and I wasn't sure why. And really, I still don't know. My mind has been in a lot of places lately, so maybe that explains part of it.

As always, great reading your thoughts on both films. I remember reading about your Harry Potter friend, so I'm glad that you can still feel that connection while seeing the movies. Smile

(Btw, I haven't seen Children of Men yet, but a friend showed me the 'car' sequence---I was stuttering 'how did he--' for a few minutes afterwards. Really looking forward to seeing it in full. Cuarón is something else.)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 8:57pm

Post #119 of 150 (129 views)
Shortcut
I've just started season 2 of Homeland on dvd [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm picking up the uncertainty about season 3 just in terms of headlines of articles and such. I don't click to avoid spoilers.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 14 2013, 9:02pm

Post #120 of 150 (141 views)
Shortcut
Wait 'til you see the really long sequence near the end of the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was about five or six minutes into it when I thought, "Wait, when was the last cut? How can he film this so seamlessly?"

I rewatched Children of Men just a couple of weeks ago and it really is a superb movie.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2013, 9:20pm

Post #121 of 150 (133 views)
Shortcut
Ooo, can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking that all through the car scene, so now I really need to get my hands on this. Somehow the camera left the car (when the policemen stop them), but I didn't see the cut at all. I was speechless, wondering how we got that angle.

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 14 2013, 9:29pm

Post #122 of 150 (134 views)
Shortcut
watched Inkheart with my family on Saturday [In reply to] Can't Post

and on Sunday I watched The Hobbit: AUJ

But, since the last time I posted... I watched Tangled. Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

imin
Valinor

Oct 14 2013, 9:31pm

Post #123 of 150 (128 views)
Shortcut
Awesome film [In reply to] Can't Post

Just ordered it from amazon for 1p!

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 14 2013, 9:36pm

Post #124 of 150 (127 views)
Shortcut
Cuorón spoke about one aspect of the car sequence at SD Comic-con [In reply to] Can't Post

http://io9.com/...ctually-an-840211730

cats16
Tol Eressea

Oct 14 2013, 10:35pm

Post #125 of 150 (135 views)
Shortcut
I love stories like this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for linking it.

I just recently read an interview with Lubezki (his cinematographer for those unfamiliar). What an innovator. They're an incredible pair, when actually on the same project.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.