Stupid question contest
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Oct 20 2013, 1:52pm

Post #76 of 86 (348 views)
Shortcut
Well they were actually [In reply to] Can't Post

replaced with Chinese workers after they demanded holiday a bonus and overtime pay. Santa decided that cheap labor was better than pointy eared dentist wannabes.

Faithful servant yet master's bane,
Lightfoot's foal, swift Snowmane

Heatherleawv
Bree

Oct 20 2013, 6:03pm

Post #77 of 86 (317 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

All that glitters is not gold...

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2013, 9:07pm

Post #78 of 86 (309 views)
Shortcut
Love this one! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are there any vegetarian orcs?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20 2013, 9:09pm

Post #79 of 86 (313 views)
Shortcut
And why didn't Santa fly the Ring to Mt Doom in his sleigh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would Rudolph's blinking red nose have given them away?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 3:47am

Post #80 of 86 (308 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien wrote extensively about North Pole Elves. [In reply to] Can't Post

See his "Father Christmas Letters".

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Heatherleawv
Bree

Oct 21 2013, 2:31pm

Post #81 of 86 (300 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Would Rudolph's blinking red nose have given them away? Good point! I think Santa gave Rudolph the night off. Smile

All that glitters is not gold...

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 8:33pm

Post #82 of 86 (288 views)
Shortcut
How do you know "there are no stupid questions"?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Darkstone
Immortal

Oct 21 2013, 8:42pm

Post #83 of 86 (296 views)
Shortcut
The only stupid question... [In reply to] Can't Post

...is the one that's never asked.

However, there are always plenty of stupid answers.Smile

I met a Balrog on the stair,
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today,
I wish he would just fly away.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 8:52pm

Post #84 of 86 (294 views)
Shortcut
The is a double-plus- unstupid question. It deserves a thread of its own. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 21 2013, 9:45pm

Post #85 of 86 (287 views)
Shortcut
Wait [In reply to] Can't Post

If the only stupid question is the one that's never asked, and we've been asking away, are you saying we haven't reached THE stupid question yet because we haven't asked it? And how will we get to it if it must remain unasked? How did we get stuck in this conundrum? What game will we play next?

noWizardme
Half-elven

Oct 22 2013, 9:32pm

Post #86 of 86 (274 views)
Shortcut
Do we see Tolkien's ideas on this evolving as he writes, do you think? [In reply to] Can't Post

That, by the way is not my proposed stupid question, though I do sometimes do my best work by accident …

What I mean is:
By the end of Shadow of the Past, I've got the impression that Saurons enemies will be "hard pressed" to survive while nobody at all is using the Ring. I infer that Sauron 's victory while Ringless is likely, but not inevitable. With the Ring, he's assumed to be unbeatable.

Come Council of Elrond, Tolkien needs to persuade us that the Ring should go to Mordor. He's quite explicit about the perils this involves. The alternative which gets quashed without much debate is to dump it at sea. Gandalf's argument against this is that it is not completely risk-free; and also that Sauron might retrieve it eventually, even if he has to wait on a geological timescale. The lack of argument about that has always somewhat dissatisfied me - I expect someone to point out that the risks of Sauron getting the Ring if it heads East may be so great that they outweigh the slim chance of a surprise complete victory. (OK Gandalf might or might not know about the chances of divine aid subtly tipping the odds in his favour; if he does, he's not very explicit about it. ) Maybe Tolkien wants us to see Ringless Sauron as well nigh unbeatable at this point: the more that's so, the less there is to lose by risking the attempt to destroy the Ring.

It's the Council of Elrond chapter which is the tricky corner, therefore. Later we get the idea that Sauron fears a rival getting the Ring. Aragorn et al deliberately play on this fear, acting as if they had the Ring, such that Sauron has little time to crush an upstart Ringlord before he or she becomes adept.

As for Aragorn & troops, putting it all into this does make sense, because they are so close to Mordor. Even if Sauron remained Ringless (Shelob ate the Ring, say) his conventional forces can probably crush them all. At best, perhaps they can weaken Sauron enough to help forces further west to rally.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.