Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Tauriel thread. No knowledge of Tolkien required.

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Oct 7 2013, 11:33pm

Post #1 of 21 (790 views)
Shortcut
The Tauriel thread. No knowledge of Tolkien required. Can't Post

Only joking about the second sentance! Smile But what do we know about Tauriel? PJ's made up Elven-lady?

1) She is important in the guard of Thranduil

2) She is a ruthless killer, this is an elf? and goes on missions with Legolas.

3) She is quite good-looking. Surprise!

4) Fili has a crush on her.

5) She kicks butt in Dol Guldor.

6) She rescues the Dwarves from the Elven-kings halls instead of Bilbo.

7) Maybe Bilbo has a crush on her?

8) She marries Legolas? Well, if she is going to be a Mary-Sue lets make this a Legomance!

9) She replaces Glorfindel as the person with the Witch-King prophecy.

10) She slays Smaug instead of Bard!

11) She goes of to Helm's deep and fights the Orcs the way PJ always wanted Arwen to and if this involves time-travel, plot inconsistencies, changing past films, what the heck?

Anyway, if anyone does have any thought or concrete ideas on what Tuariel is going to do, serious or otherwise, this could be the thread to do it!

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Oct 7 2013, 11:34pm)

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2013, 11:47pm

Post #2 of 21 (445 views)
Shortcut
Geez, Kindling Anyone? [In reply to] Can't Post

12. Tauriel will gather up all the women of Middle-earth and in a frenzy of feminist energy, leave all the males to their wars and move in with the more civilized Ent Wives who can actually tolerate more than a moment of peaceful living without going berserk or invoking the wrath of the gods.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2013, 12:02am

Post #3 of 21 (405 views)
Shortcut
Are we sure about number six, [In reply to] Can't Post

or is that still speculation?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:24am

Post #4 of 21 (369 views)
Shortcut
What?! [In reply to] Can't Post

She rescues the dwarves and not Bilbo! Mad That's supposed to be Bilbo's part! First the pairing with Legolas, and now this. My wrath has been invoked. She will feel the wrath of the intergalactic Messiah Ziggy Stardust! And the Spiders from Mars! Sly

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 12:32am

Post #5 of 21 (353 views)
Shortcut
Zig-Meitster are goin as a Spider this Halloween? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bomby NEVER thought
you looked like Frodo.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 12:55am

Post #6 of 21 (370 views)
Shortcut
I think Hamfast's (intended?) progression is... [In reply to] Can't Post

1-3. Known facts/observations
4-6. Toss-ups
7. Unlikely
8-10. Not gonna happen
11. Way out there

12. Yikes! (by JWPlatt)

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 12:57am

Post #7 of 21 (352 views)
Shortcut
Did I miss something? [In reply to] Can't Post

Where did we get info on #5? Shocked Was I asleep??? Crazy
# 6 - I think she allows Bilbo to remain...'unseen' and doesn't sound an alarm vs actually freeing the Dwarves. Kind of looks the other way ... just my thoughtsCool
# 8 - hummm...that's a bit of a leap...they marry and he runs off to be with Gimli...doesn't say much for her wife abilities Tongue
#10 - Maybe Smaug eats her Wink Actually kind of like that for some reason... LOL!!!

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 8 2013, 1:17am

Post #8 of 21 (352 views)
Shortcut
I actually like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Definite fodder for another movie. And we would get to see the Ent wives. Cool

Permanent address: Into the West

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2013, 1:21am

Post #9 of 21 (323 views)
Shortcut
Aha! :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

The Tenth Walker
The Shire

Oct 8 2013, 1:43am

Post #10 of 21 (330 views)
Shortcut
Crickeys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all of this won't happen!

I don't want Taureil to have a crush on Bilbo, Thranduil, Thorin, Fili, Kili, Legolas, Smaug, or Azog. (Have I missed anyone?!)

Actually my biggest fear with Taureil is that she will take up too much film time, time that could be spent on other characters. And I do not want her to have a crush on anyone. (although according to interviews she will)

When all is said and done though we simply don't know with Taureil, we can fear everything under the sun but until we see the film we can't be sure about her.

She might be a great addition to the film by letting us see more of the woodland elves and their way of life.

And then again she might distract us from who the film is actually about - Bilbo.

So I won't say I love her or I hate her until I see her on screen.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R Tolkien

dubulous
Rohan

Oct 8 2013, 6:46am

Post #11 of 21 (253 views)
Shortcut
Certainly hoping most of these aren't true // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 7:17am

Post #12 of 21 (262 views)
Shortcut
Numbers 4 to 11.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are all guesswork - and I'd say vary from unlikely to "you must be joking!" Wink

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2013, 9:35am

Post #13 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
The second sentence in this title made me ROFL, so cheers :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:47am

Post #14 of 21 (202 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

A thread like this can be fun... just confused sometimes how some Tauriel-disliking people here seem to break out in wrath whenever someone assumes (or even just jokes) about someething relating her actions or role in the story, even when this is completely away from what the filmmakers seem to do or ever planned to do ;)

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:54am

Post #15 of 21 (204 views)
Shortcut
She is there and has to be relevant now. [In reply to] Can't Post

What is very important to me is that now that she is in the movie, she will have to be relevant. She must be relevant.

One can discuss for ages whether it makes sense to create that character or not, whether it is an insult of Tolkien or not and so on.

But for the filmmakers this is not the question anymore now.

She is in there now, will take screentime and will interact with important characters. I want her to have relevance now, otherwise it would be a middle-thing that would neither satisfy those who never wanted her to be in the movie, nor those who were interested in the character. Even worse that would make several people who were interested in her say "Well, if that is all she was meant to do, she actually should have been dropped".

Everything but making her relevant and interesting now would be bad storytelling and scriptwriting imho. And the good storytelling/filmmaking is and always has to be a tick more important than everything else, even Tolkien faithfullness or fan-serving.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2013, 11:59am

Post #16 of 21 (197 views)
Shortcut
speculations [In reply to] Can't Post

1) She is important in the guard of Thranduil

--Likely. I thought it was said in an interview that she would be the Chief Guard, or Captain of the Guard?

2) She is a ruthless killer, this is an elf? and goes on missions with Legolas.

--Likely. I thought this was confirmed in interviews.

3) She is quite good-looking. Surprise!

--Certitude.

4) Fili has a crush on her.

--The rumor, I thought, was Kili, not Fili.

5) She kicks butt in Dol Guldor.

--I haven't heard that one, other than in speculation.

--No, we haven't heard that one, that would be huge news. And I hope it's not to be the case. Bilbo has to be the sole rescuer, it's part of his arc.

7) Maybe Bilbo has a crush on her?

--Haven't heard this, but I've always speculated that he would admire her for her kindness and sympathy toward the Dwarven captives, and maybe for her willingness to help non-Elves against bad guys. It need not be a romantic crush.

8) She marries Legolas? Well, if she is going to be a Mary-Sue lets make this a Legomance!

PJ has promised there would be no Tauriel-Legolas romance. I believe he will keep to that, and that the stuff in the latest trailer hinting at such a thing is a red-herring.

9) She replaces Glorfindel as the person with the Witch-King prophecy.

Speculation on these boards. Other than that, i don't think that's been mentioned anywhere.

10) She slays Smaug instead of Bard!

And Bard gets really good at thumb-twiddling! Wink

11) She goes of to Helm's deep and fights the Orcs the way PJ always wanted Arwen to and if this involves time-travel, plot inconsistencies, changing past films, what the heck?

Laugh

A bag is like a hole that you can carry with you.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Oct 8 2013, 1:06pm

Post #17 of 21 (176 views)
Shortcut
Totally 100% in agreement on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

--No, we haven't heard that one, that would be huge news. And I hope it's not to be the case. Bilbo has to be the sole rescuer, it's part of his arc.

Kilidoescartwheels
Rohan

Oct 8 2013, 5:31pm

Post #18 of 21 (145 views)
Shortcut
crushes & butt-kicking [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe she gets involved with Kili, I think that's just an Internet rumor because he's the "hot dwarf." But the trailer shows she's kicking butt SOMEWHERE - could be Dol Goldur, maybe they rescue Gandalf. I also DON'T think she'll rescue the dwarves, but clearly she is trying to talk Legolas into joining some fight, just don't know which one.

Elskidor
Rohan

Oct 9 2013, 2:16am

Post #19 of 21 (90 views)
Shortcut
If she... [In reply to] Can't Post

Rescues or fulfills any part that is suppose to be for Bilbo, Bard or the Dwarves I think 90% of people would be mad. Maybe not the sole movie watchers, until they later find out she stole so and so's thunder.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Oct 9 2013, 3:54am

Post #20 of 21 (84 views)
Shortcut
Comments from five weeks ago [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems as if I'd better repost my summary from September 3rd concerning these Tauriel rumors:

Elthir, here's a summary of what I know so far on the topic of "Tauriel romance / love story":

• Peter Jackson said, after announcing the creation of the character Tauriel and describing her role briefly, that she was not created as a love interest for Legolas.
  • In the Total Film article (Summer 2012) referenced above, Matthew Leyland wrote about Kili: "In addition to chasing treasure, he's also pursuing female elf Tauriel." What exactly Aiden Turner said about this is not known. I would bet the farm that he did not use the word "pursue"; it doesn't sound like anything he would say. Rather it sounds like Leyland's attempt to write a "cute" sentence (in Luke Evans' portion Leyland writes "Since being cast as a hot, dragon-bothering archer in The Hobbit, Evans has gone from Bard to worse" (groan) ). Aiden Turner's only quote on the subject of Tauriel was "I guess he knows nothing can ever happen. She's about 20 ft tall and he's only two!" My take on this has been that it will provide some comedy in DOS because of the height difference, etc., but there will be no "romance" as such.
  • In April of this year, an attendee of HobbitCon in Germany was told by the DOS panel organizer, Stefan Servos, that (1) Azog dies in DOS, and (2) Tauriel has a big crush on Thranduil, tells him about it and gets rejected, and pouts about the rejection by deliberately letting the Dwarves escape. This rumor sounded pretty absurd, and I was very suspicious because of the timing (around April 1st) that the conversation was reported to have taken place. I also searched more than 20 subsequent pages of the Herr der Ringe website in German pertaining to Thranduil, and found nothing at all. Plus, we know for sure now that the Azog part is untrue.
  • The rumors concerning Legolas started up again this summer as the publicity for DOS began. In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Evangeline stated that Tauriel "definitely has a love story", but did not elaborate and said that it "was not a huge focus". Concerning Legolas, she says:

“Tauriel’s relationship with Legolas is significant. They’ve known each other since they were children, and Legolas’ dad, [Elven king] Thranduil, has a soft spot for Tauriel and sees something very special in her. So if you grow up side by side, and your dad has a very special spot in his heart for this young woman who’s a fantastic warrior, I think it’s hard not to notice her.” She laughs. “That’s probably as much as I can say.”
So it's all left vague, with many possible interpretations. The most probable scenario is that she has some star-crossed feelings for Legolas, but that this never becomes a "romance". We may have to wait until December to find out.
  • Finally Evangeline reiterated the "coy" comment concerning Legolas in a recent Twitter discussion with fans. "Many of u have asked about a Lego / Tauriel romance", she wrote. "I can neither confirm nor deny, under penalty of death". As I said above, this sounds a lot like publicity, to hint about Legolas (most of the Twitter followers will probably never have heard Peter Jackson's comment from a long time ago). Another reason for being so coy, which I did not mention before, is that the actors all have strict "gag" clauses in their contracts; they are forbidden to reveal plot details. Hence the "under penalty of death" phrase (she also used this when asked whether Tauriel will speak with Thorin).

That's my summary of the story so far...

(reposted from 3 September)

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 30 2013, 12:34am)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Oct 10 2013, 1:10am

Post #21 of 21 (52 views)
Shortcut
LOL ! [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I'm scared of spiders, I couldn't dress up as one. But Frodo, yes! In fact, you just gave me a clever idea for a costume: Ziggy Stardust + Frodo! Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.