Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

elaen32
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 9:10pm

Post #76 of 150 (297 views)
Shortcut
I agree Daniel re the last episode- "slight spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose, as Patty says, I end up watching Downton as Sunday evening escapism. Last night's episode, Kiri Te Kanawa aside, had so much plot recycling it wasn't true. It is all getting a little predictable, but the settings, costumes etc are worth watching alone

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2013, 10:25pm

Post #77 of 150 (282 views)
Shortcut
:D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2013, 10:35pm

Post #78 of 150 (308 views)
Shortcut
It's hard for me [In reply to] Can't Post

to dislike someone who pashed Paul Holmes during a TV interview. Wink

I think she's less a diva and more exacting and demanding in her craft. We're getting more used to local celebs speaking their minds but it's still a bit on the nose when they do - and moreso 15, 20 years ago.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 11:22pm

Post #79 of 150 (286 views)
Shortcut
This is one of the best of its kind [In reply to] Can't Post

one of the best I've seen in years... apart from how fast they move or what they eat, the zombie genre is fairly uniform. But Stakeland managed to bring some things new to the table... in particular using the creatures as weapons dropped into a safe zone by helicopter. That scene alone was worth the price of the dvd.

Incidentally, this is what I said about Stakeland here (where I also reviewed Super!) back in 2011:

Stakeland. Wow, did not see this one coming! Just crazy good. One of the better additions to the post apocalyptic genre, featuring very scary zombie type vampires and just as scary survivor cults. It is a low budget film that pushes the genre in ways not seen before. It suffers in the way the scenery was assembled in some scenes probably because of the budget, but the SFX and makeup are top shelf. I would have done something completely different with a key vampire towards the end. (I think the climax centered on him was overly contrived and at best confusing.) BUT I rate Stakeland a must see for fans of the genre.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Oct 8 2013, 11:23pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 8 2013, 11:46pm

Post #80 of 150 (269 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty much there [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to stick with things I start and I stuck with the last season to the end but I'm pretty much over any affection for the show. I don't know what DA fails to provide for me that I get in spades for many of the Austen presentations or North and South. I just don't care about any of those people. And I really can't find my way to want to care about privileged Lords and Ladies.

I'm always happy when people find their joy and I hope not to impede said joy in those who love it. But I'm sticking with the Good Wife on Sunday nights.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Tintallë
Gondor

Oct 9 2013, 12:02am

Post #81 of 150 (273 views)
Shortcut
Beasts of the Southern Wild [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how to feel about this movie. I know a lot of people raved about it, but for me it was just okay. The young lead actress was terrific, though, and the characters were certainly characters. They felt real, which is something I am not accustomed to feel about movie characters. And the beasts (the come-to-life fanciful animal beasts, not the figurative ones that are the REAL beasts in this story) were rather awesome!

Pharoah's Army, a tale of Union soldiers invading the home of an enemy, a Confederate woman whose husband is away fighting on the other side. Pretty grim and depressing movie; however, Patricia Clarkson turns in a stellar performance, as always.

Tintallë
Gondor

Oct 9 2013, 12:04am

Post #82 of 150 (272 views)
Shortcut
LOVE that movie! So, so funny and fun to watch! [In reply to] Can't Post

And the song Mother Knows Best is one of the very best Disney has ever given us!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 9 2013, 12:15am

Post #83 of 150 (265 views)
Shortcut
she [In reply to] Can't Post

patricia clarkson is one of my favorites. she's amazing.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 12:18am

Post #84 of 150 (264 views)
Shortcut
I loved Beasts of the Southern Wild [In reply to] Can't Post

I was mostly unsure and perhaps ambivalent about it while I was trying to figure out what it was about. I mean... really about. Then I realized

spoilers for those who haven't seen it

that the entire story is told from the viewpoint of the girl. When you realize that, it explains every choice the movie makes in terms of storytelling. At that moment, I thought it was brilliant. lol...

Sometimes things click and sometimes they don't. this one really clicked for me. :-) And I also thought the young actress was unbelievably good.

end spoilers for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Oct 9 2013, 1:28am

Post #85 of 150 (259 views)
Shortcut
Did you see it in 2D or 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

As I posted in the other thread, I was blown away by the film. But despite everyone saying "oh, it needs to be seen in 3D!", I didn't really feel like I would have lost anything if I saw it in 2D. I've never been a big 3D fan to begin with, and I think I'm getting a bit desensitized to its effect.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Ardamírë
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 1:35am

Post #86 of 150 (257 views)
Shortcut
What is it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in the US, and so haven't seen the season 4 episodes yet, and am steering clear of that subthread, but what is it about Downton season one that you find less soap opera-y than the later seasons? I thought it was pretty clear from the start that it was that sort of drama, and I haven't noticed any significant difference in the second or third seasons.

'Twas in the Land of Willows that I heard th'unfathomed breath
Of the Horns of Ylmir calling - and shall hear them till my death.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 1:58am

Post #87 of 150 (258 views)
Shortcut
3D - there was no 2D option here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it'd be a great film in 2D - I saw Avatar in 2D (no 3D projectors here at the time) and still had my socks knocked off - but I think Gravity would have more effect on viewers when seen in 3D.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 6:15am

Post #88 of 150 (255 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I felt [In reply to] Can't Post

that the part was lazily written; it was a broad slapstick caricature in the midst of otherwise excellent character studies. I blame Julian Fellowes rather than Stephen Fry for that. It's like having one instrument of a chamber ensemble deliberately tuned flat.

Be that as it may, I've been thinking I should rewatch this. Haven't seen it in a while.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 6:22am

Post #89 of 150 (249 views)
Shortcut
Fullmetal Alchemist... [In reply to] Can't Post

Which version are you watching? I just recently watched through FMA: Brotherhood for the first time because Mark Oshiro is watching it for his Mark Watches blog/review site. I've never watched anything with such unexpected and devastating plot twists along the way. I fear to say more lest I spoil something, but I am cackling internally at the thought of what you have in store for you... Evil

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 6:27am

Post #90 of 150 (243 views)
Shortcut
If you watch the extras and listen to the commentary, [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty will let you join the Gosford Park fanclub!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 9 2013, 6:34am

Post #91 of 150 (244 views)
Shortcut
I already own the soundtrack [In reply to] Can't Post

That's got to be worth some points, right?

Silverlode

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 9 2013, 6:45am

Post #92 of 150 (240 views)
Shortcut
You'd have to ask President Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

I was pretty lucky to get in you know. But I'd say your soundtrack would be a drawcard.
And you have to know the secret handshake. Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 9:37am

Post #93 of 150 (243 views)
Shortcut
Rush [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it yesterday... quite good, although sometimes tension was a bit artificially created via louder music and endless back and forth editing ;)

But Daniel Brühl is actually worhht watching it alone (although I am not sure he will be a very strong Oscar contender as some say)... he does the Austrian accent brilliantly.

The scenes surrounding Lauda's accident are and treatment afterwards are probably the most haunting images of accidents and painful injuries I saw in a long time... one could feel the pain at some points. Very well done... tasteful, not intrusive, yet very emotional and haunting.

“A dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of men’s imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.” J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

CuriousG
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 1:49pm

Post #94 of 150 (224 views)
Shortcut
Oh yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

Using the vamps as party crashers/"divine retribution" was an unexpected and powerful scene. That's what I liked about the movie: it injected some new ideas into the story. The monsters were somewhere between vampires and zombies, which some people on IMDB complain about because they want them to be one or the other and follow the rules, but I liked having them mixed a little (I suppose they're 90% vamps in behavior).

People really panned the key vamp you mention, but I was neutral, I guess.

I liked the spectrum of community behaviors they showed. The scary cult (which was large; how did they get so many members?), the little town where they said they didn't want any religion or politics, and the more mainstream religion of the nun as a quiet presence. Usually movies seem more one-dimensional.

I only stumbled on the pre-movie character webisodes by mistake--was glad that I found them to get a little more backstory.

Patty
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 2:20pm

Post #95 of 150 (218 views)
Shortcut
As usual, Silverlode, you have stated the point exactly right. [In reply to] Can't Post

And while I also love Julian Fellows ( although I'm sure we are vastly opposed politically) I feel Fry's role was a misstep here. I wonder what Altman thought of it? I'll have to listen to the commentary again to see if he tells, I don't remember it.

Permanent address: Into the West

Tintallë
Gondor

Oct 9 2013, 4:30pm

Post #96 of 150 (210 views)
Shortcut
I think perhaps it is my personal experience that got in the way. [In reply to] Can't Post

**MILD SPOILERS AHEAD**

I was in Charleston SC - nicknamed "The Lowcountry" - for Hurricane Hugo, when many ignored the mandatory evacuation order and lost their lives. Scenes from Beasts took me back to that time, which probably influenced my feelings about the film. It is also why all those people felt completely, utterly REAL to me.

Hugo was just like that but on a much grander scale, encompassing not only the coastal dwellings but also the many small islands offshore. I remember thinking how utterly senseless people must be to barricade themselves in their homes in the face of certain disaster. I felt the same way about the Bathtub residents.

The movie has grown on me since I saw it. In retrospect I find myself remembering moments and whole scenes that really stuck with me. I can't say that about too many films.

I wish more people who had seen it would comment, as I find that helps me plumb the movie's depths far better than I could by myself!

imin
Valinor

Oct 9 2013, 8:41pm

Post #97 of 150 (196 views)
Shortcut
Yay someone else has finally seen Rush! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it. I am a passing fan of F1, Vettel's dominance of the sport currently is making it boring to me, along with the tyre issues and don't know much at all about the rivalry but for me i felt it drew me in and didn't let go til the end.

As you say the injury and his rehab were quite traumatic and i could feel his pain, but more than that i could feel his determination and will to win was inspiring.

It was the best movie i have seen in quite a while (though i haven't seen Gravity yet so maybe this will become my new favourite Smile )

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 9 2013, 10:26pm

Post #98 of 150 (192 views)
Shortcut
I went searching for analysis or discussion on the film after I watched it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hungry for conversation. But I couldn't find anyone talking about it.

I think I checked to see if there were any extras on the Netfix DVD (looking for a directors' commentary) but I don't think there was.

I said just a little about it here.

I could see where your personal experiences could influence your reaction to it. But for me, I think your observation/comments solidify how the movie presents the life and experience through the eyes of a child. This kid is basically on her own. (being around irresponsible adults!) And I think the presentation does a really good job of showing what the world looks like to a child. I was very impressed that this kid is a survivor. Without all the experience and reasoning skills of an adult, she manages to make her way. She's not only surviving, you get the sense that this girl will do well. At least in terms of emotional development. Her connection to the natural world really impressed me, too. When life is chaotic, you look to the things that make enough sense to anchor things for you.

those people felt completely, utterly REAL to me.

To some extent, me too. The same with Winter's Bone. Although I'm from Michigan, not Missouri or Louisiana, many of my inlaw aunts and uncles were from the south. And they were a lot like these people. I grew around them. Winter's Bone hit home for me so hard I had to stop the DVD for awhile. But then, WB approaches their story with harsh realism where BotSW uses a fantastical magical realism approach. The second was easier to take. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Oct 9 2013, 10:27pm)

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Oct 10 2013, 2:00am

Post #99 of 150 (187 views)
Shortcut
Gravity, 3d IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

That was the most intense movie I've seen in a long time. It really struck home for me as a retired flight engineer; the moments when systems are failing, grabbing for checklists and racking your brains for emergency procedures as things go wrong, knowing that a mistake could be the last one for you and everyone with you. I felt like I didn't blink once during the whole movie.

The dialog and characters also worked very well for me. I felt like they were all people who could be on my crew flying a mission.

There were a few moments when plot overruled basic Newtonian physics. I'll probably dream up alternative ways the plot could have worked with correct physics, but my ideas probably won't have the visual impact of the story as filmed.

I plan on going to see this one again while it's still at the IMAX. Rewatching it at home on DVD isn't likely to pack the same punch.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 10 2013, 3:43am

Post #100 of 150 (185 views)
Shortcut
3-D IMAX for me too, but slightly disappionted (spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoyed the movie overall. My heart was pounding literally throughout, and I thought Sandra Bullock was superb. Per my better half (a HUGE, lifelong aerospace fan/expert), the equipment and spacecraft, both outside and inside were meticulously accurate (except for China's spacecraft as, in reality, China doesn't have anything so sophisticated yet) and the special effects were not only amazing, they were seamless.

Unfortunately for me, the more they violated not only the laws of physics, but the laws of how many times someone can miraculously be saved in horrendously unforgiving space, the more it took me out of the movie. I can't tell you how disappointed I am by that, because I was enthralled for the first hour or so. By the time the movie ended, I couldn't help but think "Uplifting, and great symbolism, but really? We're supposed to still believe this was possible?" I also thought George Clooney's character was woefully one-dimensional - as in, after a while I couldn't get Buzz Light-year out of my brain. Laugh

I'm obviously in the minority because, after being out for almost a week, it's an almost unprecedented 97% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm sure we'll see it again, so I'm looking forward to hitting 'reset' if I can. I also HIGHLY recommend seeing it in 3-D; IMAX 3-D if possible. The movie was obviously made for that and it *will* blow you away!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.