Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Great set of quotes Furincurunir

Brethil
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 11:53pm

Views: 159
Shortcut
Great set of quotes Furincurunir [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is a general observation about human nature.
It is very easy to delude oneself that the end justifies the means(especially if you are the kind of big-picture mover and shaker who often ends up in positions of importance):

"Everybody on their deathbed thinks that they did the best they could. Adolf Hitler thought that he did the best he could. I've read that he said the German people let him down, they didn't have the intensity and devotion that was required. And that allowed him to flood the subways when they were in there, to stop the Russians, and feel justified doing it. But in my philosophy, which I've read a lot though I never took it, everybody feels they did the best they could under the circumstances. And so we have to be careful."

Cpt Alan Bean, Astronaut (Apollo 12 moon landing, Skylab) and artist
Interviewed in Moondust: In Search of the Men Who Fell to Earth by Andrew Smith, Bloomsbury 2005

Or, perhaps it is almost inevitable that:

"Most noble goals can remain so only in principle: carnage and misery form a very large part of how things come to fruition"

Aliette de Bodard (author )
"Author Spotlight" interview in Lightspeed Magazine #30, November 2012
The danger, as you say, of the ends justifying the means. Its an interesting moral question I suppose; do we carefully debate the degrees of 'evil' and 'good' in balance...what means justifies what outcome? Or do we hold to a single standard that is, if we are not compromising, inviolate? As your second quote suggests though, not always a possible way to exist?

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Subject User Time
Letter #131 Discussion: Heaven or Hell?; And the Golden Pavement on the Road 'South' Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 2:08pm
    The Morality of The Ring Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 2:13pm
        Well, now that you've brought up Rings... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 8 2013, 2:46pm
            Interesting idea Rem! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 11:20pm
            Conjecture CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2013, 9:09pm
                As were mine Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 11 2013, 9:36pm
                    Rings as conduits CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2013, 9:41pm
                        the ring(s) and fading Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 11 2013, 11:04pm
                            Hobbity sense Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 1:17am
                                i meant also Maciliel Send a private message to Maciliel Oct 12 2013, 1:21am
                                    Agree on this point Telpemairo Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 2:53am
                Why didn't the Ring get outta Dodge? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 1:10am
        Some stolen thoughts... Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Oct 8 2013, 4:15pm
            Thank you very much sador Send a private message to sador Oct 8 2013, 5:50pm
            Wonderful bit from the Reverend. Thank you! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 11:32pm
                Pervasive evil and holding back The Song Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Oct 9 2013, 4:01pm
                    Quiet evil versus Clear Evil Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 9 2013, 4:59pm
            What about illusion? Terazed Send a private message to Terazed Oct 11 2013, 7:15pm
                Beautiful thoughts, Terazed CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2013, 9:37pm
                Art versus power Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 1:02am
    Apologies for my going MIA. A few general remarks: sador Send a private message to sador Oct 8 2013, 5:22pm
        Hullo Sador! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 11:48pm
            A 'companion' read to LOTR indeed Findegil Send a private message to Findegil Oct 9 2013, 1:11am
                Thank you so much for posting this information Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 9 2013, 4:01am
                Splendid! sador Send a private message to sador Oct 9 2013, 4:58am
                    You're welcome, Sador Findegil Send a private message to Findegil Oct 9 2013, 11:45am
    Frightful evil can and does arise ... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Oct 8 2013, 9:03pm
        Great set of quotes Furincurunir Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 8 2013, 11:53pm
        *Calls forth Boromir as witness* CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2013, 9:12pm
    Dated morality CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Oct 11 2013, 9:49pm
        Thoughts Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 11 2013, 10:22pm
            Morality - flexible or not? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 1:15am
                Relevant truth(pun intended) Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 12 2013, 2:18am
                    I Kant believe you would make a pholisophical pun Rem... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 2:30am
        Anarchistic monkey! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 2:47am
    Hmmm Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Oct 11 2013, 10:15pm
        You say some of what I feebly attempted Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 11 2013, 10:25pm
        Roots of evil Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 12 2013, 2:42am
            re: roots Escapist Send a private message to Escapist Oct 13 2013, 6:31am
                When helping becomes dominating Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Oct 15 2013, 12:37am
            Imposition of will... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 13 2013, 11:56am
                Perfectly understandable!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Oct 13 2013, 12:23pm
                    Yes... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Oct 13 2013, 12:38pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.