Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Character of the Week: Thorin Oakenshield

Old Pilgrim
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 3:58pm

Views: 2299
Shortcut
Character of the Week: Thorin Oakenshield Can't Post

I have decided to create a new discussion thread, similar to that of Chapter of the Weak, but here we won't discuss about a single scene from an Unexpected Journey but instead about characters seeing in that movie. If there will be interest, I (or whoever wish) will create a new thread each week with different character and we will discuss about him.

The first character will be non other then the leader of our Dwarven company Thorin Oakenshield.

Now let us begin. He is the last of the Dwarves that enters Bag End and upon his arrival the air is somehow tense. In the Erebor prologue and later in the battle of Azanulbizar he is shown as a proud and fearless leader who will do anything is his power to defend his people and revenge anyone who brings injustices to them. He is very sceptical about Bilbo and doesn't believe in his abilites of a burglar and he seems quite annoyed that they took Bilbo with them. From the beginning till the end he doesn't trust Elves and will do anything to avoid them though that is not possible in the case of Rivendell. From his conversation with Balin we can learn that he is almost obsessed with him task to regain his grandfather's kingdom of Erebor and has a very high opinion of those Dwarves that answer his call.

1) What do you think of his development during the movie? Has his character grow from the beginning (by learning something new) in any way or he is the same on the end as he was in the beginning?

Every character has his most memorable moment that we won't forget for a long time. It was so in the Lord of the Rings and it is the same in an Unexpected Journey. It is not necessary a battle scene, but it has to be so important that you find it most important for him. For example my most memorable moment of Thorin was at the end when he decide to fight Azog by himself despite knowing that this will be his undoing. Of course that was not a wise move, but who is talking about wisdom here? His walking, his stance was just marvelous in that scene for me.

2) So what was Thorin's most memorable moment for you in An Unexpected Journey?

Let's us talk now about a personality a little bit. Despite that Middle Earth is knowing for it's good and bad characters which doesn't seem very real in our world, there were still many gray characters with both good and bad traits. Thorin is definitely one of those. I like him because he is very dedicated to his people and will honour their help. He is not some cowardly slug who will hide when things become dangereous, but will face danger straight ahead. What I don't like by him is his proudness, downlooking to others and his obsession with Erebor. That was my answer.

3) What do you like in Thorin's character and what you don't like or even hate?

I have already talk about relationships a little bit but now we can say something more about them. As I already stated Thorin appreciated his dwarven companions as we can cleary see in his speech to Balin: "I would take each and every one of these Dwarves over an army from the Iron Hills. For when I called upon them, they answered. Loyalty. Honor. A willing heart... I can ask no more than that." But surely his relationship with every dwarf wasn't on the same level and what about Gandalf, Bilbo and the others that they meet on ther journey? There is hate, respect and despice but in what orded?

4) Tell us your opinion about his relationship with other characters? Dwarves in common or invidual, Gandalf and Bilbo, elves and do not forget on Azog with goblins and orcs.

Preferable style. We can write many things here but I am pointing towards his way of dressing, fighting and thinking.

5) Was his clothes more royal then that of other Dwarves? Was there something on them that indicates his royal origins?

6) What is his style of fighting in your opinion? He is using sword but is he a good swordsmen or perhaps better at wielding an axe?

7) Is he a better strategist, tactics? Would he be a better warrior or commander? Here I am talking mostly about his role in battle.

There are still two movies before us and despite many of us have already wrote the book, we haven't seen the movies yet and there would be certainly some differences. At the end of an Unexpected Journey his relation with Bilbo very much improved and he regrets his previous critics about him. Gandalf and Balin have a big influence on him while he has a big influence on other Dwarves, especially on youngest ones, Fili and Kili. Things can quickly change and with Gandalf's departure Billbo will stay alone amongs the Dwarves and there won't be anyone who will dare so openly opposed Thorin as Gandalf did.

8) How will his character develope in the next two films in your opinion?

And now for the end we can talk about your own opinions regarding that character.

9) Did you like Thorin as portrayed in the movie or would you change his character in any way (appearance, character or maybe even another actor)?

Subject User Time
Character of the Week: Thorin Oakenshield Old Pilgrim Send a private message to Old Pilgrim Oct 8 2013, 3:58pm
    In a hurry, cos I'm supposed to be working but keep being diverted here. Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 8 2013, 4:14pm
        Forgot to say, re. favourite moments Glorfindela Send a private message to Glorfindela Oct 9 2013, 10:29am
            I also forgot to add to my own post Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 10 2013, 4:20pm
    Oh my gosh, my favorite character Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Oct 8 2013, 5:12pm
    Could write pages about why I love Thorin in movie - favorite Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 8 2013, 8:15pm
        awesome response Avandel! Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 8 2013, 8:54pm
            I'm also a little short on time at the moment... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Oct 8 2013, 9:53pm
            Thanks for the welcome! Avandel Send a private message to Avandel Oct 8 2013, 10:50pm
                Yeah, it was the same for me Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 8 2013, 11:31pm
    Thanks Old Pilgrim Kim Send a private message to Kim Oct 8 2013, 8:47pm
    On Thorin Kilidoescartwheels Send a private message to Kilidoescartwheels Oct 8 2013, 9:52pm
        Ah, another Robin Hood fan! Roheryn Send a private message to Roheryn Oct 9 2013, 8:17am
    Thorin is awesome Elskidor Send a private message to Elskidor Oct 9 2013, 12:23am
    Thorin is the Man! Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Oct 9 2013, 12:50am
    There is one I could follow... Esmeralda Send a private message to Esmeralda Oct 9 2013, 5:23am
    Finally got here again, and here are my answers Old Toby Send a private message to Old Toby Oct 9 2013, 6:33am
    Ah, Thorin! Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Oct 9 2013, 1:04pm
    Great idea Old Pilgrim The Tenth Walker Send a private message to The Tenth Walker Oct 9 2013, 8:56pm
        Thorin will always be my King... Queen of Erebor Send a private message to Queen of Erebor Oct 9 2013, 10:41pm
    Short version: Excellence in all but design. Also, SPOILERS Macfeast Send a private message to Macfeast Oct 11 2013, 3:27pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.