Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Recording Sessions of the soundtrack of DOS finished last night
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Alex Maglor
Bree

Oct 8 2013, 11:38am

Post #1 of 44 (2169 views)
Shortcut
The Recording Sessions of the soundtrack of DOS finished last night Can't Post

Conrad Pope (additional orchestrator and conductor) says on his facebook:

With the superb first trumpet of the NZSO, Jon Dante celebrating the end of a series of some 29(?) sessions with the NZSO. Making music with the NZSO was wonderful and I look forward to working with them again- not only are they a superb concert orchestra, they are a remarkable "film orchestra"- they read difficult music accurately right out of "the chute". But now, after 3 pictures, recording sessions in Wellington and London, since June-- it's time to sleep in, rest up and fly home and await the next assignment.

Conrad Pope conducting the NZSO

Jon Dante (first trumpet of the NZSO) with Conrad Pope

Jon Dante with PJ

Wellington Hall

Harps from NZSO

Taiko Time!

Be quiet...

Conrad Pope with some sheet music from DOS

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 11:57am

Post #2 of 44 (850 views)
Shortcut
Barefoot PJ spotted! [In reply to] Can't Post

And he looks almost as chubby as he used to!

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 11:58am

Post #3 of 44 (904 views)
Shortcut
Where is Shore? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know there's a lot of discussion over at JWFan about this, but is there any evidence to suggest Shore conducted this? All I'm seeing is Conrad Pope. I'd like some clarification from Doug on this, but if not I'm guessing the press release for the album will clarify who did what. If Shore was not involved in the conducting, it will be very sad indeed. And the score will surely suffer for it.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:07pm

Post #4 of 44 (868 views)
Shortcut
That's also a point... [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I was informed, Pope was just an external orchestrator. If he ends up by conducting the score as well - well, where's Shore in it?

Peterthorn of Rohan
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 12:12pm

Post #5 of 44 (869 views)
Shortcut
Shore conducted it since [In reply to] Can't Post

The poster for dos says music composed by Howard Shore

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:13pm

Post #6 of 44 (830 views)
Shortcut
One of the pics shows Pope conducting [In reply to] Can't Post

The trumpeteer referred to Pope as "additional orchestrator and conductor". It doesn't look good. Infact, it looks worrying like Shore wrote the music and then had little else to do with the rest of it. But what if re-writes are needed? Does Pope then become "additional composer"? I think at that point serious questions would need answering, because I'm not sure if PJ realizes how important Shore's music is to these films, and how cherished it is by many people.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:15pm

Post #7 of 44 (848 views)
Shortcut
Composed, not conducted [In reply to] Can't Post

We knew Shore wasn't orchestrating this film, but him not conducting it would be huge news, and certainly wasn't mentioned in Pope's initial remit.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:24pm

Post #8 of 44 (838 views)
Shortcut
Did Shore actually travel to NZ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did Shore actually travel to NZ?

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 12:27pm

Post #9 of 44 (837 views)
Shortcut
I did read something... [In reply to] Can't Post

About him travelling there with Doug Adams recently, though I don't know the source for that (it certainly wasn't Doug's twitter page). But other than that I don't think there's any firm evidence to suggest that Shore went to New Zealand at any point in the recording process. That doesn't mean he did, but you'd have to think he'd be pictured in these photos of the recording sessions if he was conducting. Why get one with Jackson and Pope but not Shore?

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 12:57pm

Post #10 of 44 (779 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so looking forward to getting the music to listen to here at home. This is the music I listen to calm my nerves after a stressful day.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 1:09pm

Post #11 of 44 (754 views)
Shortcut
Does the conductor actually have that much influence on the final product? [In reply to] Can't Post

If Shore still wrote the music, it would be his creation on the final product, even if he didn't conduct it. Would it really be that big of a blow to the soundtrack?

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Imladris18
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 1:43pm

Post #12 of 44 (713 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

But you know how people like to freak out.

imin
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 1:49pm

Post #13 of 44 (680 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking the same but then i don't know much about music // [In reply to] Can't Post

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

Nolane
Bree

Oct 8 2013, 1:51pm

Post #14 of 44 (703 views)
Shortcut
Does not matter who conducts [In reply to] Can't Post

I have played in Orchestras and it really does not really matter who conducts the orchestra. Sure it might have some minor impact on the performance, but as long has Howard Shore composed the music, that is all that really matters. Think of it this way- Orchestras play the music of Mozart with many different conductors all over the world. Mozart is dead so he can't conduct his own music anymore. Performance can be impacted if the conductor is terrible, but I am sure that Mr. Pope has experience and is up to the task.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 1:52pm

Post #15 of 44 (694 views)
Shortcut
So [In reply to] Can't Post

If say (and we're still not sure at this point, excuse the pun) Shore was to go from being composer, conductor and orchestrator to just being composer, you wouldn't be somewhat concerned? If that was the case, I'd say it would almost certainly hint at a huge fall out over how AUJ's score turned out. And if Shore's role has been limited, either by his own will or that of Jackson, I have to wonder if he will write music with the same kind of passion and enthusiasm as before. No doubt he's a consumate professional, but this project seemed a real labour of love for him - it's clear from interviews and videos that writing music for Middle Earth was something he truly loved doing. It would be tremendously sad to see his involvement diminish on several levels, considering what a major cog he is in these films.

It just seems very wrong seeing Pope all across these photos of the recording sessions and Shore nowhere in sight.

(This post was edited by Shagrat on Oct 8 2013, 1:54pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 2:00pm

Post #16 of 44 (687 views)
Shortcut
This has been known for a long time already [In reply to] Can't Post

We've been through this already. It's been known for quite a while that they've hired external orchestrators and conductors for DoS. In fact, i remember Doug Adams coming to these forums to calm down the masses after the exact same response as today happened.

I'm not gonna bother with finding all the links to his posts, but basically it all boils down to the fact that it's all behind-the-scenes stuff, and that we won't notice it in the finished score. It's still Shore's music.

Shagrat
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 2:03pm

Post #17 of 44 (667 views)
Shortcut
Not conductors [In reply to] Can't Post

Pope's original remit was orchestrator. It was never said that Shore would not conduct the score. If that is the case, then it certainly is news.

If I'm wrong, then sorry for jumping to conclusions. But as it stands there is nothing to confirm Shore's involvement in the actual recording process.

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 2:07pm

Post #18 of 44 (669 views)
Shortcut
I think it was Doug Adams [In reply to] Can't Post

Who mentioned something about Shore not conducting aswell (although i'm not 100% sure).

I'll see if i can dig up some posts of him which could prove useful in this thread

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Oct 8 2013, 2:10pm

Post #19 of 44 (667 views)
Shortcut
I remember reading somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...a while back about Peter Jackson meeting with Shore and going over some of the music and themes he had been writing for the next two films and Peter said how extremely excited he was about it. He mentioned how many new aspects are being introduced and how catchy the music was.

I think it might have been on a post on Peter's Facebook page, I can't seem to find it at the moment.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Faleel
Rohan

Oct 8 2013, 2:11pm

Post #20 of 44 (640 views)
Shortcut
It [In reply to] Can't Post

Happens alot of the time, that Composers do not conduct some scores.

For example Jurassic Park was conducted by Armin Steiner, because John Williams had messed up his back or something.

Tim Simonec conducts for Michael Giacchino's scores etc.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 8 2013, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 44 (647 views)
Shortcut
Didn't Howard Conduct in London? [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, sooo curious who sings the Credits song this Time?

Bomby hopes it's a Huge All-Male chorus.
Georgian Chant type- thingie.

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 2:18pm

Post #22 of 44 (632 views)
Shortcut
Does not matter if it happens elsewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

The credit "Music written, conducted & orchestrated by Howard Shore" should be a constant in these movies.

Skaan
Lorien

Oct 8 2013, 2:20pm

Post #23 of 44 (638 views)
Shortcut
Nevermind [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems like i was wrong, seeing as i can't find any of Doug's posts (on this site atleast) that mention Shore wasn't going to conduct aswell.

Looks like it is news indeed, then. Let's hope Doug will clear some things up here or on his blog (even though he probably can't say much about it other than "No need to worry"Tongue)

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 2:21pm

Post #24 of 44 (633 views)
Shortcut
Just an idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

...could they not do it both? Shore in London and Pope in Wellington? To share the load so to say?

TheHutt
Gondor

Oct 8 2013, 2:26pm

Post #25 of 44 (632 views)
Shortcut
That was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...at the last day of pickups, when PJ posted a live coverage of a day in the life of a director.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.