Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
My 3000th post on my 3 year anniversary with TORn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 1:14pm

Post #1 of 28 (363 views)
Shortcut
My 3000th post on my 3 year anniversary with TORn Can't Post

Today marks 3 years since I signed up with TORn under the username QuackingTroll and with this post I cross 3000 posts and enter into Valinor! So I figured I should say a few things.

My first post on TORn, 3 years ago, was on the topic of dwarf casting, a week after Richard Armitage was announced to play Thorin. I'd been discussing Hobbit news for a year or so on TheHobbitBlog.com, but after their forum closed down I moved to TORn to continue discussions, as many of the users were on both forums anyway.

I was surprised how welcoming and friendly the users were here and I just want to say a big thanks for all the great discussions I've had these past 3 years and thanks everyone for being friendly and supportive of my opinions and posts, my drawing and singing and anything else that I've done! I've really had a great time, spoken to some interesting people, had some amazing discussions and I really feel like a part of the community here.

Also thanks to all the admins for keeping the place as civilised as it is. I'm sure it's easy for excited fans to go over the top and you do a great job of keeping us in check!

I look forward to all the fun to come in the future, I'm sure I'll be here long after TABA is released just to keep in touch with the users that I now consider friends. I guess all that's left for me to say is: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve!

Thanks!

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Oct 6 2013, 3:05pm

Post #2 of 28 (272 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, QuackingTroll!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

...... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 6 2013, 3:16pm

Post #3 of 28 (287 views)
Shortcut
Post Counts and Perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...3000 posts...

Round numbers like that are arbitrary both to base (decimal, only because we happen to have evolved with a total of 10 digits on our hands) and the choices of the admins when they set ranks. I prefer numbers that define the universe, such as pi and other transcendentals. I'm suspicious of all non-universal, numeric coincidences for that reason.

For myself, although I have top post counts elsewhere, and this one will be 1622 posts for me here, I have come to understand the real meaning and consequence: it was time given to something less important than what I could have been doing for greater achievement in my own life. I'd look upon any crowd-sourced online activity where others make money from your time and content with a similar point of view (I'm looking at you, Twitter and Facebook).

Perspective. Just saying. And congrat's.

Wink

(This post was edited by JWPlatt on Oct 6 2013, 3:18pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2013, 5:25pm

Post #4 of 28 (262 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns of your TORniversary, QT! [In reply to] Can't Post

3000 in 3 years! A huge THANK YOU to you and a virtual *hug* for all your contributions, and the specialness you've added to these Boards!

Welcome to Valinor! Smile *gets out bottles of bubbly miruvor from the Fiesta 'fridge, pops corks*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 6 2013, 5:34pm

Post #5 of 28 (265 views)
Shortcut
Congrats, QT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to another three years (and more). Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2013, 5:44pm

Post #6 of 28 (258 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

that's a lot of posts!

Happy TORniversary!
And here is to many years and inspirational posts more.
Two more movies to go, which means a lot more posts to come Wink!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 5:55pm

Post #7 of 28 (264 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, and 3 Cheers! Here are your cakes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Three cakes for the Quacking Troll, our new Valinor guy,
7 for the torte hoard, in their fridge of stone.
9 buckwheat battercakes, doomed to fry,
1 for the Chef-Lord on his dark choc'late throne.

In the land of leaven, where the batter flies;
One whisk to mix them all,
One to combine them,
One whisk to blend it all
And give us a lick to try them
In the Land of Leaven, where the batter flies.

Enjoy! And see ya around town!Cool

(This post was edited by Ethel Duath on Oct 6 2013, 5:56pm)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Oct 6 2013, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 28 (251 views)
Shortcut
i suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

that by the time the last hobbit film has been released, we will have many more half-elven among us, and valinor will be heavily populated. who knows? we also might have a bit of a spike in the immortal demographic as well.

congrats, quackingtroll. i hope that you thoroughly enjoy all that valinor has to offer.

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 7:02pm

Post #9 of 28 (255 views)
Shortcut
Thanks everyone! I just celebrated by showing a friend (who knows nothing about lotr) The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

He loved it and even shouted "It's Sylvester McCoy!!" when Radagast showed up. When Bilbo turned invisible he said "I didn't know it could do that!" which surprised me. He also kept comparing it to Skyrim and somehow knew the names of all the swords and said "where's Narsil?" He said the swords feature in a patch of the game or something?

Anyway, he said he's gonna watch lotr when he gets home because he wants to know more about Gollum. So that was a great way to celebrate Smile

demnation
Rohan

Oct 6 2013, 8:09pm

Post #10 of 28 (234 views)
Shortcut
Very Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

And Congrats!

About Skyrim: there is a very popular modification for the game that adds all of the swords from LOTR. Wink

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 6 2013, 9:19pm

Post #11 of 28 (223 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! [In reply to] Can't Post

May there be many happy years ahead for you.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 6 2013, 10:16pm

Post #12 of 28 (225 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ethel Duath! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a massive sweet tooth and those cakes look fantastic, so I really appreciate it Tongue Thankyou!

DanielLB
Immortal

Oct 6 2013, 10:37pm

Post #13 of 28 (255 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, QT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's to many more years of happy posting!

But, after 3 years and 3000 posts ... you will always be QuakingTroll to me. That c just doesn't respond in my brain. Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 12:10am

Post #14 of 28 (211 views)
Shortcut
Congrats :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 3:00am

Post #15 of 28 (202 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations QuackingTroll! That's quite a milestone! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 1:37pm

Post #16 of 28 (199 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Better Hurry up! [In reply to] Can't Post

All the Cool people are in Valinor?
Even though the View from TE is quite nice.

Keep the fires of Valinor lit!

Bomby

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Oct 7 2013, 4:03pm

Post #17 of 28 (192 views)
Shortcut
Cool People [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
All the Cool people are in Valinor?

Careful now. That's what the Númenóreans coveted and look at what happened to them.

burgahobbit
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 7:50pm

Post #18 of 28 (175 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations Quacking [In reply to] Can't Post

Great job!

(This post was edited by burgahobbit on Oct 7 2013, 7:54pm)

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Oct 7 2013, 9:43pm

Post #19 of 28 (159 views)
Shortcut
3,000!! That is so awesome! Congrats, QT!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome more children to Middle Earth. Support The S.H.I.R.E. Project!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 10:39pm

Post #20 of 28 (174 views)
Shortcut
Llongyfarchiadau! [In reply to] Can't Post

(BTW that's not an insult in Old Entish, it's Congratulations in Welsh.)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 8 2013, 12:32am

Post #21 of 28 (153 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORniversary and Congrats, QT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Two milestones at once? You don't mess around! Laugh

It's been a great pleasure having you here. Here's to 3,000 more!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2013, 12:52am

Post #22 of 28 (149 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations, and thanks for all the years, and the discussion! // [In reply to] Can't Post

But every word you say today
Gets twisted 'round some other way
And they'll hurt you if they think you've lied

Xanaseb
Tol Eressea

Oct 8 2013, 9:26am

Post #23 of 28 (138 views)
Shortcut
:D :D All the best QT :) You have always had awesome and fun comments to contribute, making TORn-ing a delight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your songs too have been sublime!
Congrats on hitting Valinor!

Nice Bilbo reference too Tongue.

"So your own praise will forever keep your name green,
Both here on Earth and on the stage of the stars" - J.G.Kittel, writing about the composer Jan Dismas Zelenka (1740)

Join us over at Barliman's chat all day, any day!

imin
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 9:29am

Post #24 of 28 (156 views)
Shortcut
Congrats [In reply to] Can't Post

I can still remember the discussion we had on open or closed barrels going down a river Tongue

One day we will have to test those theories out along with a few other Tornadoes e.g. DaniellB

'What's the matter with you?' - J.R.R. Tolkien

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Oct 8 2013, 5:47pm

Post #25 of 28 (128 views)
Shortcut
Haha! I remember that! [In reply to] Can't Post

The things I've learned from this forum, it's been surprisingly educational! Smile Thanks

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.