Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 2:34pm

Post #1 of 150 (1746 views)
Shortcut
What movies (et. al.) did you watch last weekend? Can't Post

...which really means what visual, moving media have you watched recently or since the last time you posted?

Life and the new fall TV schedule has kept me occupied. I tried to watch The Sum of All Fears but kept falling asleep (not the movie's fault).

On DVDs we're watching last season's Leverage (their final season) and Arrow. I like Arrow up till it gets all CW-angsty.

On streaming I'm watching Haven and Portlandia. I thought the first few episodes of Portlandia were hilarious. The next few, not so much. I'll continue watching. Haven is formulaic but it's the formula in a genre I like and Eric Balfour is not hard on the eyes.

On TV, real time, I'm trying to catch Sleepy Hallow, Elementary, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, and the Good Wife.

We have tentative plans to see Gravity next weekend. I wanted to wait till that first weekend rush had passed.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Oct 7 2013, 2:41pm

Post #2 of 150 (1228 views)
Shortcut
The family watched Tangled. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, we like Disney movies. The old ones, at any rate. Too many of the newer CGI ones just don't have the same quality. Tangled, however, is hilarious. I've already seen Tangled-themed parodies of The Hobbit (long story).

As for myself, I've discovered Fullmetal Alchemist. On episode 6. Only about... what... 50 more to go? Sigh.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Oct 7 2013, 2:44pm

Post #3 of 150 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Watched ROTK with the g'son [In reply to] Can't Post

Now he's seen them all, but only the theatrical versions. Inflicting the extendeds on him will wait for a while. We had a great time with all three, he really gets it. I was surprised at how emotional some of the scenes made me, even though I've seen them so many times.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 2:59pm

Post #4 of 150 (1213 views)
Shortcut
slight synchronicity ... [In reply to] Can't Post

our fully adult son still lives with us and he put on and watched The Emperor's New Groove this weekend (he just bought me Netflix Streaming for my birthday so we now have access to a bunch of streaming we didn't before). I watched a little of it with him but, man, I dislike David Spade (probably I dislike the 'comedic persona' he uses) so I didn't enjoy it much.

Also, he binged watched Fullmetal Alchemist yesterday. I didn't do more than glance at it as I walked through the room, though.

Have you seen the trailer for Disney's Frozen?
http://io9.com/...han-we-ex-1403787444

Some people at io9 were comparing it to Tangled. Because of the horse?

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 3:03pm

Post #5 of 150 (1207 views)
Shortcut
lingering emotional reactions... [In reply to] Can't Post

on a tangential note, I went to the Appendices of LOTR to copy off the final entry in the timeline to answer a question at imdb. My gut clenched and my eyes welled up. It's interesting how stuff like that can continue to create a visceral reaction over large spans of time.

Elessar
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 3:10pm

Post #6 of 150 (1203 views)
Shortcut
I watched [In reply to] Can't Post

Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu

Gravity in theaters

Thank goodness Star Trek is an awesome movie I could forget Gravity.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 3:46pm

Post #7 of 150 (1207 views)
Shortcut
We had a long weekend in Germany... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I went a bit cinema overboard because of bad weather :D

We are the Millers (aweful, but I promised a friend I would go see it with him)

Gravity (best movie of the year by far)

Rush (okay, BrŁhl is quite good though especially in Germany over-hyped)

All IMHO of course.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Oct 7 2013, 3:47pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 3:56pm

Post #8 of 150 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Fox's Animation Domination [In reply to] Can't Post

We took a break from our AD&D game to watch the new Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror episode (opening directed by Guillermo del Toro) and the rest of the animation block. I think that del Toro's bit was the best of the lot.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 5:39pm

Post #9 of 150 (1182 views)
Shortcut
have you seen the attempts to identify all the horror (etc) movie references in that bit? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not versed enough in the genre to appreciate them all.

http://io9.com/...o-with-ha-1441460232

someone in the comments thought three 'dragon riders?' at :34 (top left corner) might be Ringwraiths. I had to take a screenshot and lighten it to see them well at all but I couldn't determine for sure what they might be.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 5:57pm

Post #10 of 150 (1177 views)
Shortcut
No. I hadn't tried to spot all of the references before now... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Dragonriders could also be a reference to Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 5:58pm

Post #11 of 150 (1166 views)
Shortcut
do you think Del Toro would reference them in a piece like this? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 6:01pm

Post #12 of 150 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Who knows? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe not. Although he might have been attached to an attempt to adapt the series at some time. Admittedly, I haven't spotted the referenced image.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 7 2013, 6:03pm)

acheron
Gondor

Oct 7 2013, 6:01pm

Post #13 of 150 (1188 views)
Shortcut
baseball playoffs [In reply to] Can't Post

That's about all I've been watching.

Have gotten my son to start saying "Go Red Sox!", although the only time he's said it on his own was during a Cardinals/Pirates game. But the enthusiasm is there. Wink

I am hoping for a Red Sox/Pirates World Series -- rematch of the '03 World Series. (That's 1903.)

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 7 2013, 6:28pm

Post #14 of 150 (1168 views)
Shortcut
The Almighty Johnsons. [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the NZ comedy drama about Norse gods in NZ which has Dean O'Gorman in the cast (plus John Leigh - TTT's Hama - in season 2). The third season (possibly the last, they way the ended it) has just screened here so I'm watching all three seasons on DVD.

The first season starts off as average as I remember it being, but I know where the show is going and can't wait to get to the last couple of eps in this season, from where the show gets better and better. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 6:28pm

Post #15 of 150 (1178 views)
Shortcut
Aidan Turner in his undies [In reply to] Can't Post

That was purely a crass attention seeking post title.
Actually, I did see rather a lot of Aidan Turner in his undies (and a not very good wig) in 'Hattie', which is a 2011 TV movie.
I remember Hattie Jacques very well from my childhood as a prominent figure on TV, mostly from her show with Erik Sykes, where they played 'identical' twins.

Hattie tells the story of a very strange period in the 60's in actress Hattie Jacques' marriage to fellow actor John Le Mesurier (he of 'Dad's Army' fame). Hattie had an affair with her driver John Schofield (Turner), and he ended up living in her and John's house. Eventually, Schofield took up residence in Hattie's bed, with poor old Le Mesurier in the spare room upstairs.

It was hard to watch at times, being such a personal story. It was horrible seeing Hattie and John's two sons as casualties of the adults' actions. I thought Ruth Jones was fabulous as Hattie, but it was Robert Bathurst as John Le Mesurier who was a real revelation for me. It was a heartwrenching performance, very subtle and restrained.

Of course it did not end well. John Schofield was not a very nice person. I thought Aidan Turner was very good in the role - alternately charming and sweet, but also demanding, controlling, and self-centred.

Recommended.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 6:30pm

Post #16 of 150 (1166 views)
Shortcut
I just find it a little more likely ... [In reply to] Can't Post

that Del Toro is a fan of LOTR (and the LOTR movies) than of Dragonriders of Pern. But quite a bit more likely that he'd think people would get a LOTR reference more quickly than a Pern reference. And I think the wraiths on wings are more 'monstery' than the dragons of Pern.

But I'm not sure what they is. The depictions are cartoony enough that I can't say.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 6:34pm

Post #17 of 150 (1162 views)
Shortcut
didn't recognize many names/titles in that post [In reply to] Can't Post

with the exception of Aidan, of course.

But I do know John Le Mesurier as Bilbo in the BBC radio drama.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 6:36pm

Post #18 of 150 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Wraiths! Wraths on wings! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that Del Toro is a fan of LOTR (and the LOTR movies) than of Dragonriders of Pern. But quite a bit more likely that he'd think people would get a LOTR reference more quickly than a Pern reference. And I think the wraiths on wings are more 'monstery' than the dragons of Pern.

But I'm not sure what they is. The depictions are cartoony enough that I can't say.

Seeing the image, I definitely have to say Ringwraiths on fell beasts.

Magpie
Immortal

Oct 7 2013, 6:46pm

Post #19 of 150 (1157 views)
Shortcut
lol... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just reread my post where you quoted it in your post.

I originally wrote: I don't know what it is. Then I changed it to 'they'. Which left me with "I don't know what they is" and didn't catch the subject/verb mismatch.

I can write better than that. :-)

Starling
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 6:49pm

Post #20 of 150 (1163 views)
Shortcut
I'm wringing my hands and hiding under the bushes [In reply to] Can't Post

They look like wraiths on wings to me. Shocked

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 8:01pm

Post #21 of 150 (1155 views)
Shortcut
Simpsons opening [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the opening to the Treehouse of Horror episode was great, although it wasn't until I got on TORn this morning I realized it was GdT's. The rest of the episode was the worst ever. I mean, really bad.

However, the first commercial break included the DoS trailer. I'm glad I didn't break the DVR, I stopped fast-forwarding and went back so quickly!

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 8:31pm

Post #22 of 150 (1163 views)
Shortcut
Saw a few lately... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity: Really incredible visuals, although it's not 'sitting' as well with me after a few days. I know it's very technically beautiful and thrilling, but it's not something I need to go back to that much. Maybe once or twice more, but no more than that. I can't be enamored with the visuals only to be uninterested with the story. I'm starting to see what Elessar was saying on other parts of the boards.

The Rules of the Game: This movie I will watch for many years, I can say that right now. I watched it twice in two days, and I'm already in love with it. Renoir is a master of the craft.

No Country for Old Men: As good as ever. So many little nuances of the book come through beautifully.

Arannir
Valinor

Oct 7 2013, 8:41pm

Post #23 of 150 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gravity: Really incredible visuals, although it's not 'sitting' as well with me after a few days. I know it's very technically beautiful and thrilling, but it's not something I need to go back to that much. Maybe once or twice more, but no more than that. I can't be enamored with the visuals only to be uninterested with the story. I'm starting to see what Elessar was saying on other parts of the boards.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 8:51pm

Post #24 of 150 (1146 views)
Shortcut
Pardon me? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I have no idea of what kind of tone that was meant to be taken in.

cats16
Half-elven

Oct 7 2013, 9:00pm

Post #25 of 150 (1125 views)
Shortcut
I know the feeling... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't looked at much other than the theatricals for quite awhile (need to get on that! Crazy). I think, for the movies, I need to give them more time in between so I don't feel like I'm overdoing it.

Sounds like you have had a lot of great new memories with your grandson. Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.